Bill Casady

Bakersfield, CA

#2369 Nov 8, 2012
Bill Young wrote:
<quoted text>
Al,
No pictures but I was in Paris in 65 and went to La Boheme...it had just changed its name to Buttercups Chicken Shack. I went back again in 2000 and this last May to spend time in the Montparnesse area...I spent a lot of time there in the 60's and many of my hangouts are still there. Unfortunately, La Boheme was a victim of urban renewal. It was part of the area that was dramatically changed by the building of the tour Montparnasse and the changes to the surrounding area.
Buttercup was the widow of the great jazz pianist Bud Powell, and a nice singer in her own right.
Joe Kissane

Buffalo, NY

#2370 Nov 8, 2012
Daniel Wahlen wrote:
my father was in the army at Orleans 1955 1960-1962-1966in Nancy.I was born at La Chapelle Saint Mesmin army hospital in Orleans My mother is french and is from the area ,all my cousins and french relatives still live in the surrounding area,I go back as much as i can ,My mother lives here in colorado now ,she goes back often My father passed away 10 years ago he loved it there and so did i. I was a military brat and lived in europe till we came stateside for good when i was fourteen it was a culture shock to me but we eventually became americanized,I started kindergarden at Joan,darc army hospital and school we lived in military housing at vanderve and before that at a small town of Bruley outside of Nancy it was the best time of my life. and i plan on retireing in france in my hometown someday/I have plenty of pictures of that time of my father and freinds eventually we went to germany after De gaul ousted the us troops from france.at a little place called Bad hersfeld on the east west german border
I, too was born at the 34 General Hospital in LaChappelle St. Mesmin in 1956 when my father was there as a draftee M.D./Pathologist. I have only been back to France once since 1957, and never got back to Orleans. I'd love to learn more about the area.
Bill Young

Los Angeles, CA

#2371 Nov 8, 2012
Bill Casady wrote:
<quoted text>
Buttercup was the widow of the great jazz pianist Bud Powell, and a nice singer in her own right.
Thanks for adding the relationship between Bud Powell and La Boheme. Buttercups was a great after hours jazz joint. The real action always started after midnight. My favorite jazz club in Paris during the 60's was Le Chat qui Peche. My favorite show was the Ray Brown Quartet (winter of 66). Bud Powell was the house band there for some time. I'm not certain, but I think they have a new club in the old caves...I went by the old site during my recent trip to Paris, but it wasn't late enough for them to be open.
Landry

Yarmouth, Canada

#2372 Nov 8, 2012
cj proper wrote:
Was stationed in Paris france from 1960 to 1963 32/34 Rue Marbeuf 594th Transportation movenment control
My father worked there too till Nov.1961 when we took the Ivernia back to Canada . We lived on Rue Madame in Paris in 1957. Later moved closer to SHAPE & schools. I have pictures which I believe were taken at Christmas parties at Marbeuf.
Landry

Yarmouth, Canada

#2373 Nov 8, 2012
Sheila Utley Joyner wrote:
My family lived in SHAPE Village, San Germain en leye. My Father was stationed at SHAPE. We were there from 1957 through 1961. I have 4 brothers and 1 sister. What can you tell me about that time frame? Thank you.
We were there same years as you...1957-1961 Did you go to school in the Chateau in Saint Germain-en -Laye? Any school class pictures? I was in grade 4 when we left. Have 3 older siblings and 2 younger.
Dave Cochran

Alton, MO

#2374 Nov 8, 2012
To Frawley Becker -

Not only did I ride steam trains but there were local diesel powered coaches which were self contained. I may have pictures (I took many) however I am traveling and will not return until the first part of April'14 to where I have the pictures stored.
tomsimons

Humble, TX

#2375 Nov 9, 2012
To all the veterans on this page, Sunday is Veterans Day. And I want to say thank you for your service.tom
Frawley BECKER

Van Nuys, CA

#2376 Nov 9, 2012
TO DAVE COCHRAN --

Mid-April it is then, that's fine. Please send photos then! I see you live in Tampa. In the late Eighties we shot "Summer Rental" with John Candy at St. Pete Beach (and Treasure Island, Reddington Shores, Pass--Grille and even in St. Pete.) The Teamsters were from Tampa, and I did get to visit it on a couple of Sundays. Terrific experience, largely due to the director, Carl Reiner, and his easy-going nature.

Frawley Becker
Dave Cochran

Secaucus, NJ

#2377 Nov 10, 2012
I don't know how my address gets shuffled. Presently we are in Bandon, OR. My wife and I are full time RV people and move every two or three months or so. We were in FL in 09 & 10 very nice place to visit but our home address is in WA.
Candido Vargas LC TX

Pearland, TX

#2378 Nov 15, 2012
My name is Candido Vargas, I was known to my fellow soldiers as Chico. I was stationed in St Andre from February 1962 thru August of 1963. We were a dethachment of the 275th signal corp with headquartes in Paris and I remember how small the base was. The Company comander was a Coronel, it was a long time ago that I don't remember his name. Reading the comments about the base brings me good memories. It was there that I experience the first white Christmas, since I came from the Caribean I had never experience one. Here is may email in case somebody that were there during this time and want to share memories. cvcandi@verizon.net
Leroy Free

Milwaukee, WI

#2379 Nov 16, 2012
i was stationed in toul from60 to 62 at the 57th at joan of Arc hospital
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2380 Nov 16, 2012
Just a reminder, anyone who wishes to share their stories and pictures about their time in France are welcome to join us at Caserne Aboville. I was stationed at Poitiers from 1963 to 1966, but we have Members from Toul, Ingrandes, Braconne, Chize, LaRochelle, and many other bases. Air Force and Army. We have hundreds of pictures in Albums. We would love to hear your stories, and see your pictures from your bases. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caserne_abovill...
Jim Blackburn

Toivola, MI

#2381 Nov 16, 2012
David Vally wrote:
<quoted text>
My dad was station there would love to see pictures or know what part of france the base was as I live there with him and was in the 4 grade so I don't remember much.His Name was David Vally
.Please e-mail me at vally53@live.com
Bussac is located near the town of Bussac, about 40 K's north of Bordeaux.
I was stationed there in 1960-61 working in the motor pool, TMP-4.
I have some pics of the towns of Bussac and Bordeaux and a few taken on base.
Norman Gardner

Bronx, NY

#2382 Nov 16, 2012
@ Jim Blackburn
I, too, was stationed at Bussac 1960-1962. I lost all of the photos I had, and would be plenty grateful if you could e-mail me some of yours. I was in working, first at the ECP, and then at the property book office. I was in Hq. Co. My e-mail address is: ngardner101@gmail.com
Gene Walsh

Eatontown, NJ

#2383 Nov 17, 2012
Candido Vargas LC TX wrote:
My name is Candido Vargas, I was known to my fellow soldiers as Chico. I was stationed in St Andre from February 1962 thru August of 1963. We were a dethachment of the 275th signal corp with headquartes in Paris and I remember how small the base was. The Company comander was a Coronel, it was a long time ago that I don't remember his name. Reading the comments about the base brings me good memories. It was there that I experience the first white Christmas, since I came from the Caribean I had never experience one. Here is may email in case somebody that were there during this time and want to share memories. cvcandi@verizon.net
The company commanders name was Rinck. He was a Lt.Col..He was one fine officer. I was stationed at the Blockhouse on Rue
la Perouse in Paris. I only went to St. Andre once to do something on the Switchboard. I remember there was what I believe an English civilian guy who was on Operator duty. After placing each call he would let a stream of expletives loose. The place looked desolate, except for the tall building which I presume was for packing parachutes.
Thomas H Gainey Apopka FL

Apopka, FL

#2384 Nov 17, 2012
My family and I lived in Lafayette Village from 1959-1963. He was a tech sergeant at the air force base in Evereux and packed parachutes for jumpers and drag chutes for airplanes. He was USAF NCO for 20 years (retired) and none of his chutes ever failed to open during his entire military career. They wrote an article about my dad's record in the Amarillo. Texas newspaper in 1965. We lived in a big house on the main street in the village. I cannot remember the address. My family was with my mom and dad. There were three brothers and one sister, including me. I went to the DOD school in the woods near where we lived. We lived kind of far from the military base. The names were Oscar, Lillian, Tom, Mike, Debbie and Jeff Gainey.
Nancy Sampson Jackson

Virginia Beach, VA

#2385 Nov 17, 2012
I lived in Lafayette Village in 1961-1962. I was in Miss Nugent's 3rd grade class, and I also walked to the DOD school in the woods - on a dirt road. We lived next to the family whose father was killed in the plane crash in 1962. Friends I remember were Phyllis Salinas, Lynn Bogel, Kitsy Blakley, and Nancy Blackwell. My son is now an Armor Officer getting ready to go to Airborn school, hope he gets someone as good as your dad for packing his parachute!
Thomas H Gainey Apopka FL wrote:
My family and I lived in Lafayette Village from 1959-1963. He was a tech sergeant at the air force base in Evereux and packed parachutes for jumpers and drag chutes for airplanes. He was USAF NCO for 20 years (retired) and none of his chutes ever failed to open during his entire military career. They wrote an article about my dad's record in the Amarillo. Texas newspaper in 1965. We lived in a big house on the main street in the village. I cannot remember the address. My family was with my mom and dad. There were three brothers and one sister, including me. I went to the DOD school in the woods near where we lived. We lived kind of far from the military base. The names were Oscar, Lillian, Tom, Mike, Debbie and Jeff Gainey.
Hunter Vaught

Bellevue, NE

#2386 Nov 18, 2012
frederick tucker wrote:
hunter vaught and i hung out together 62-64. he worked in protocol and i was in air traffic control at orly field. paul woodruff was my roomate and vaught's good friend.
Freddie Tucker - you ole dog! Outta the blue. My wife & I both remember you as a helluva dancer. We had so many laughs. I know Woody has passed away - tried but cannot find an obituary. He died so young. We were very close friends - date back to our days in Tech School in Amarillo. Drop a line when you can - email is hmvaught@cox.net. Sorry it took so long - I just noticed your post today. I'm long since retired from USAF & Postal Service. Enjoying my retirement years.
John Shirley

Richardson, TX

#2387 Nov 21, 2012
looking for the name of the troop ship that left Leghorn for New York in Feb 1958? thanks
Al Boka

AOL

#2388 Nov 23, 2012
In late 1957/early 1958 I discovered La Boheme and was a regular customer. I remember it being situated on a, now non-existent alley..on the left. Inside it was a great place to meet French girls and enjoy some socializing. I remember they did not have a seperate men's and ladies room but an "everybodys" rest room. I meet a girl one evening and fell completely head over heels...wound up marrying her. We had two children during the rest of my tour. In August, 1961, while driving my wife, her mother and one sister back to Paris from their vacation in Granville, we had an accident on route 13 near Bernay. My wife and mother-in-law were killed. Later,in December,I rotated back to the US and was assigned to McGuire AFB, NJ. Returned again to France in June, 1965 to Chateauroux only to be "kicked out" by CDG the following year. My organization, the 322nd Air Division, moved to High Wycombe, England.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Alamitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Bently 19,559
Who remembers 5 hr Rich Chrampanis 1
Learning redefined 7 hr Stubs Malone 1
3 arrested over towing (Jun '08) 14 hr maximus 149
Long Beach man faces federal child-trafficking ... (Jul '13) 15 hr Shelly 6
Kevin Dillman a bust.... 17 hr Concerned Parents 4
Long Beach City Council approves renaming park ... 22 hr Howard D 4

Beach Hazards Statement for Orange County was issued at December 21 at 1:49AM PST

Los Alamitos News Video

Los Alamitos Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Los Alamitos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Los Alamitos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Los Alamitos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:52 pm PST