Is the slowly recovering economy the fault of college students?

Apr 23, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Deseret News

In this Friday, Oct. 19, 2012 photo, graduate student Pedro Ramirez is photographed on the campus of California State University, Long Beach in Long Beach, Calif.

Comments
1 - 20 of 41 Comments Last updated May 5, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Sarah

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

In a way, yes it is. I'm a recent college grad who cannot find employment in the field my degree is in. I can't get a job in retail because I'm now "over qualified" and when I lie about not having a degree, employers look at me like I'm insane for being a 20 something without a higher education or pursuing one. It is almost impossible for college grads to find jobs yet we are told we have to have a degree in order to get a good job. It's a frustrating mess that needs to be addressed.
Micky D

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Sarah wrote:
In a way, yes it is. I'm a recent college grad who cannot find employment in the field my degree is in. I can't get a job in retail because I'm now "over qualified" and when I lie about not having a degree, employers look at me like I'm insane for being a 20 something without a higher education or pursuing one. It is almost impossible for college grads to find jobs yet we are told we have to have a degree in order to get a good job. It's a frustrating mess that needs to be addressed.
What's your degree?
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

The Big Government school industry is teaching the kiddies a valuable lesson - not to let the politicians sucker them into contracting for indebted bondage in order to get a Government "education". Those smart enough to learn that lesson will find it will serve them well.

Ronald
Sarah

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Micky D wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your degree?
B.A. in Communications with a PR emphasis. I'm qualified for journalism, marketing, public relations.
Micky D

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
B.A. in Communications with a PR emphasis. I'm qualified for journalism, marketing, public relations.
Okay. So you want to be a professional bullshitter. Welcome to Los Angeles. I'm assuming you went to an Ivy League school... what? You didn't?

Ohhhhh my. Oh. my.

There's a very good reason that you want to go to an Ivy League school. There you will meet other students whose parents are power players in the field the both of you want to get into. Becoming BFF with, say, Barbra Walter's granddaughter is the prime reason you apply to Yale. It can wind up paying off your tuition in less than a decade.

I'm afraid you have your work cut out for you, and when I say "work" I mean "intern." That means working 8-12 hour days and weekends with no pay. If you're really good looking, and have a lot of blind ambition, you can accelerate your advance in your chosen career by blowing the right people. I'm not just talking about men. Old lesbians need love too. You might be saying to yourself, "oh, that doesn't happen. Much. Does it?"

Yes. Yes it does.

Another option is to move to Palmdale, and work as a local journalist for $15 an hour. Have you been to Palmdale? If not, rent the movie "Planet of the Apes." In it, you'll see a place called "The Forbidden Zone." That's Palmdale. Stark foliage, strange weather, and apes on it's outskirts trying to catch you.

If you're any good, you can build your real world resume from there, and work your way west over the next 10 years. You can accelerate your advancement via, you guessed it, blowing the right people. Be careful, though. There's nothing worse than blowing someone who can't possibly help you. Remember, before you blow, make sure you know.

Or... you could start your own webpage. Like that girl who did Gawker. Again, 10 years to be worth a crap.

Or take a $5K loan on your credit card, and open a daytrading account, study the market for a week, and make your play. It could be the start of something big. I recommend you look at companies that make trailer homes, exploiting the legions of broke boomers looking for a place to settle down. You might say to yourself that borrowing money from a credit card company to trade on the stock market is unethical. If so, what kind of journalist or PR person are you, anyway? Not the winning kind, I can tell you that!

Well, that's my advice. Just remember there's a ton of other young gals with the same game plan, so you'll have to fight for your right to be exploited to the point that you give up on yourself, everything you believe to be sacred. On the plus side, you'll be some kind of journalist or PR person.

Good luck! And if you're cute, email me a selfie!
Long Beach Native

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
So you got a garbage useless degree, who's fault you can't find a job is it?
Sarah

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Long Beach Native wrote:
<quoted text>
So you got a garbage useless degree, who's fault you can't find a job is it?
I don't think it's garbage if its something that I have a passion for doing. It's also not garbage if its something that I have a natural talent for. Unfortunately it boils down to who you know and even after doing internships, I don't know many people and definitely not very many who are local.

Not everyone is meant to be a doctor or a scientist. This is what I was meant to do and it is by no means garbage.

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

"It's a frustrating mess that needs to be addressed." And who should be addressing this, Sarah? Does addressing this mean someone else solving your problems? Like the government? That is not what the government was intended (by the founding fathers) to do. You must take control of your own life and future, and market yourself better if you want to get a good job. I believe you said you are qualified to do that. So go do it! Good luck, and I sincerely do hope you are successful in your career!
Long Beach Native

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Sarah wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it's garbage if its something that I have a passion for doing. It's also not garbage if its something that I have a natural talent for. Unfortunately it boils down to who you know and even after doing internships, I don't know many people and definitely not very many who are local.
Not everyone is meant to be a doctor or a scientist. This is what I was meant to do and it is by no means garbage.
So you KNEW you were pursuing a degree that was useless to you? How did you fail to network while in school? Sorry, but that's YOUR fault. It doesn't matter what you 'feel' or that you have a 'natural talent for', it wasn't going to get you a job. Just because I like to act, can speak with a accent like a native born to what ever area of the world I choose, or have a flair for the dramatic didn't mean I was dumb enough to think I should get a degree in drama. Instead I got a sensible degree in an in demand, recession proof field. I'm thankful for my career. Wow, I pity your parent. Had you been my child, you'd have paid for your educational folly yourself. Enjoy your student loans. Hope your parents didn't/don't pay them.
Micky D

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Why are you guys dog piling on poor Sarah? Everybody has to learn. You don't start off knowing everything. Sarah is just looking for answers to a very big problem she didn't know she had before leaving school. Why do you have to try to make her feel bad about it?
Just tell her what she needs to do, if you have any good ideas to offer.

Dear Sarah,

You're still young, and a lot of adults have condescended to you throughout your academic career, because they either didn't really care, or they're so overwhelmed with so many students, they didn't have the time to tell you what's what. Also, many college professors have been out of the loop professionally for a loooong time. They don't know what's going on. They're going from a map that's 20 years old, and telling you it's still good. You have a perfect right to feel betrayed by everyone you respected.

So now here you sit, with an obscenely large debt to the second-rate college, filled with people who were of little use to you in the professional world, to whom you gave your all, and you're probably thinking, "hey! this guy is telling me to whore myself out, or eat crap for 10 years in humiliating jobs, and even then it might not work out. What the hell? Why can't an adult fix this for us kids?"

Well, Sarah, I have some unpleasant news...

When you get out of college, you go into "the real world." That "real world" is actually high school. Remember high school? With all the pettiness, self-involvement, back-stabbing moves for ultimate popularity? The place where it's so easy to hurt others,'cause you can't feel pain?

Yeah. It's back, only now "the kids" have money. Lots of it. They'll use it every which way to break your spirit, Sarah, if your spirit has anything at all to do with a sense of meritocracy. While merit is still recognized, it is burdened with inertia without the co-efficient of nepotism, and/or amazing blow jobs.

All those young people you see in the movies, on TV, or reading the news? Nepotism and blow jobs, I'm afraid. Sure, they have to have some ability to keep what opportunities their blowjobs have delivered them, but newsreading skill sans nepotistic and/or blow job skill, is no skill at all for those on the fast track.

So again, my advice to you is to seek out intern work, so you may get close to people who can hire you, while working at home on overcoming your gag reflex. You also now know why your college professors didn't tell you this. It wouldn't look good, Sarah. And take some solace from the fact that Long Beach Native, despite his college major, very likely had to bend over at some point in his life and "take one for the team."

When you drive down a fancy-pants part of Long Beach, with "rich" people in their expensive homes, just know that whatever the name of the street they're on, the correct nomenclature of each and every street should be "blow job way." They all did it, Sarah. All of them.

Once you internalize this fact, as Rudyard Kipling once said, "the world is yours, and everything in it."
Long Beach Native

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Micky, I'm not 'dog piling on Sarah', not at all. She doesn't want to take responsibility for her poor choices. It's become contagious in this nation to blame others, and other reasons such a nepotism, for their failures, instead of using introspection of self. Sarah KNEW, she KNEW, that her degree wasn't going to get her a job without 'connections', so why did she continue to pursue it? Why not a double major? Why did she not network (which is easy to do if you interact with you fellow students or teachers)? She could have easily been working, while networking her way into finding a foot in the door for a job in the field she really wants to enter, instead she's whining about 'not being able to find a job'. Who's fault is all of that, that's right, it's Sarahs fault. She might be able to find a way, but Sarah, and Sarahs replies imply she doesn't want to do the work, she wants it all handed to her.
Micky D

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Long Beach Native wrote:
Micky, I'm not 'dog piling on Sarah', not at all. She doesn't want to take responsibility for her poor choices. It's become contagious in this nation to blame others, and other reasons such a nepotism, for their failures, instead of using introspection of self. Sarah KNEW, she KNEW, that her degree wasn't going to get her a job without 'connections', so why did she continue to pursue it? Why not a double major? Why did she not network (which is easy to do if you interact with you fellow students or teachers)? She could have easily been working, while networking her way into finding a foot in the door for a job in the field she really wants to enter, instead she's whining about 'not being able to find a job'. Who's fault is all of that, that's right, it's Sarahs fault. She might be able to find a way, but Sarah, and Sarahs replies imply she doesn't want to do the work, she wants it all handed to her.
Yes, but her parents probably didn't give her any idea about what to expect, and they're to be forgiven, because what average parent knows anything about being a "PR person," or worse, a "journalist?" If they did, what responsible parent wouldn't try to stop her?

Apparently, none of this happened, and her parents are just as flummoxed as our poor Sarah.

Now, for Sarah's part, what teenager wouldn't want to be paid for BS'ing other people? That's kind of what teens spend most of their day doing anyway, for free. They BS each other on Facebook, Twitter, etc, etc. Teens of this generation are more full of BS than any generation in the history of our world. And that's saying something. Of course most any teen would say, "Thank god! I'm a natural at lying for myself! I know I can lie on behalf of others, and I can get paid!! Sign me up!"

So I don't think it's fair to make Sarah out to be too soft for this world. If you hold your hand out for candy, fully expecting the best candy in the world, and it turns out to be a cup of dog crap, you would complain too. What matters now is what Sarah is going to do about it. I've already told her what she must do. Does she have the moxie? Will she tame her gag reflex?

Time will tell!
Long Beach Native

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Micky D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but her parents probably didn't give her any idea about what to expect, and they're to be forgiven, because what average parent knows anything about being a "PR person," or worse, a "journalist?" If they did, what responsible parent wouldn't try to stop her?
Apparently, none of this happened, and her parents are just as flummoxed as our poor Sarah.
Now, for Sarah's part, what teenager wouldn't want to be paid for BS'ing other people? That's kind of what teens spend most of their day doing anyway, for free. They BS each other on Facebook, Twitter, etc, etc. Teens of this generation are more full of BS than any generation in the history of our world. And that's saying something. Of course most any teen would say, "Thank god! I'm a natural at lying for myself! I know I can lie on behalf of others, and I can get paid!! Sign me up!"
So I don't think it's fair to make Sarah out to be too soft for this world. If you hold your hand out for candy, fully expecting the best candy in the world, and it turns out to be a cup of dog crap, you would complain too. What matters now is what Sarah is going to do about it. I've already told her what she must do. Does she have the moxie? Will she tame her gag reflex?
Time will tell!
Hilarious! Thanks for making me laugh, I needed it.
Unemployed PhD

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Sarah wrote:
Be careful about telling a prospective employer that you do not have a college degree. Lying about your education on a job application is illegal in some states. The laws were intended to prevent people from claiming that they have education that they do not, but who knows, some local county attorney might decided to make a point by prosecuting you for saying you don't when you actually do.
Long Beach Native

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Unemployed PhD wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful about telling a prospective employer that you do not have a college degree. Lying about your education on a job application is illegal in some states. The laws were intended to prevent people from claiming that they have education that they do not, but who knows, some local county attorney might decided to make a point by prosecuting you for saying you don't when you actually do.
Did you read your own quote? It CLEARLY states that she "recently graduated".
Unemployed PhD

Paducah, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Long Beach Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read your own quote? It CLEARLY states that she "recently graduated".
It does not matter if she is "recently graduated" or graduated 30 years ago. Lying about having a college degree on a job application is still a crime in some states.
Long Beach Native

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

I can clearly see why you're 'unemployed PhD'.
Jessica

Cerritos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Sarah, as you've probably noticed, this forum is full of mean spirited right wing mouth-breathers, stuck in their little ignorant bubbles. Good for you for going after a degree you were passionate about. By the way people, a lot of the "big money making" degree people can't find work these days. Law school geeks that thought they were going to be rich are graduating with 100k in debt and flipping pizzas.
Jessica

Cerritos, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Luckily, it is also full of good people that offset the other ones.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Jessica wrote:
Sarah, as you've probably noticed, this forum is full of mean spirited right wing mouth-breathers, stuck in their little ignorant bubbles. Good for you for going after a degree you were passionate about. By the way people, a lot of the "big money making" degree people can't find work these days. Law school geeks that thought they were going to be rich are graduating with 100k in debt and flipping pizzas.
Jessica.

Yes. After the 60s 70s revolutionaries came to power, they convinced an entire gullible generation of Americans that they should get an expensive taxpayer funded "education" lest they were to look forward to a lifetime of productive labor. The result was that millions of Mexican Indians had to be imported to do the work that Americans no longer would do.

We see the effects today. A bankrupt nation, over 40 millions Americans on expensive taxpayer provided food stamps, social chaos, embittered racial and ethnic conflict where angry taxpayer supported Africans routinely kill their fellows, and others, at the slightest provocation, or otherwise, "just for the Hell of it".

Prior to the revolution, Americans sought out what work was available. They took those jobs not for purposes of self-gratification or personal growth, but rather, because they needed a job in order to support themselves and their family. Perhaps it's time for the heavily indebted Government "educated" young folks to seek out what work is available and begin doing honest labor once again.

Ronald

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Los Alamitos News Video

•••
•••

Los Alamitos Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Los Alamitos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE