Comments
50,981 - 51,000 of 51,299 Comments Last updated Thursday
justhefacts

Philadelphia, PA

#57903 Jun 13, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text> Second, are you seriously blaming the recession on Clinton?.Bush, the admitted international war criminal, destroyed the greatest economy in the history of man. Not Clinton..

The president invited key lawmakers to the South Lawn of the White House today to witness his signing of the U.S.-China Relations Act of 2000, a hard-fought victory for the administration.
China to Enter WTO
Clinton White House China signing speech 2000 south west lawn
Remarks on Signing Legislation on Permanent Normal Trade Relations With China
October 10,2000
Entire transcript …Quote from Clinton Speech signing the China Trade Act causing the recession

Thank you very much. Thank you. Thank you very much, Secretary Albright; Mr. Speaker; Senator Roth; Senator Moynihan; Chairman Archer; Representative Rangel. I thank you all so much for your steadfast leadership in this important cause.

I also want to thank Senator Lott and Senator Daschle in their absence and, indeed, all the Members who are here. And if you would just indulge me in one personal remark, this is probably the largest gathering of Members of Congress anywhere in Washington today, except in the Chambers of the House and Senate.

And I would like to take a moment to pay my respects to the memory of our friend Congressman Bruce Vento, who passed away earlier today, a great teacher, a great Representative, a wonderful human being.

I also want to join the previous speakers in thanking all those who worked so hard on it, Charlene Barshefsky and Gene Sperling, who accompanied her to China, and they worked on this deal until the 11th hour. We knew it would take until the 11th hour. We only hoped by then they wouldn’t be too tired to tell time, so we would be able to finish.

I thank Secretaries Glickman, Summers, and Mineta; and Secretary Slater, Secretary Shalala, who are here, John Podesta and Sandy Berger. I can’t thank Bill Daley and Steve Ricchetti enough for the extraordinary job they did to lead our efforts to secure passage of this initiative, along with Chuck Brain and Mary Beth Cahill.

I want to thank all the State and local officials, the retired officials and business leaders who helped us, and I would like to acknowledge two great champions of trade who I just saw in the audience; just because I’m glad to see them, former Congressman Sam Gibbons and former Congressman and Agriculture Secretary Mike Epsy. Thank you both for being here.

This is a great day for the United States and a hopeful day for the 21st century world. This signing ceremony marks the culmination of efforts begun almost 30 years ago by President Nixon, built on by President Carter, who normalized our relations with China, pursued firmly by Presidents of both parties to normalize tiers with China in ways that preserve our interests and advance our values.

During that time, China has grown more prosperous and more open. As the world economy becomes vastly more complex and interconnected, China’s participation in it, according to the rules of international trade, has only become more important for America, for Asia, and the world. Today we take a major step toward China’s entry into the World Trade Organization and a major step toward answering some of the central challenges of this new century. For trade with China will not only extend our Nation’s unprecedented economic growth, it offers us a chance to help to shape the future of the world’s most populous nation and to reaffirm our own global leadership for peace and prosperity.

Continued ….……..
justhefacts

Philadelphia, PA

#57904 Jun 13, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>Second, are you seriously blaming the recession on Clinton?.Bush, the admitted international war criminal, destroyed the greatest economy in the history of man. Not Clinton..

Entire transcript Quote from Clinton Speech signing the China Trade Act

I guess I ought to point out that our work’s not over when I sign the bill. For China must still complete its WTO accession negotiations and live up to the agreements it has negotiated with us and our partners before it can join. But when it happens, China will open its markets to American products from wheat to cars to consulting services, and our companies will be far more able to sell goods without moving factories or investments there.

Beyond the economy, however, America has a profound stake in what happens in China, how it chooses to relate to the rest of the world, whether it is open to the world, respectful of human rights, upholding the rule of law at home and its dealings with other nations.

Of course, opening trade with China will not in and of itself lead China to make all the choices we believe it should. But clearly, the more China opens its markets, the more it unleashes the power of economic freedom, the more likely it will be to more fully liberate the human potential of its people. As tariffs fall, competition will rise, speeding the demise of huge state enterprises. Private firms will take their place and reduce the role of government in people’s daily lives. Open markets will accelerate the information revolution in China, giving more people more access to more sources of knowledge. That will strengthen those in China who fight for decent labor standards, a cleaner environment, human rights, and the rule of law.

We also will continue to press China to meet its commitments on stopping the transfer of dangerous technology and deadly weapons. We will continue to be a force for security in Asia, maintaining our military presence and our strong alliances. We will continue to support, from the outside, those who struggle within China for human rights and religious freedom.

I want to say a special word of thanks to Congressman Levin and Bereuter. Because of them, we will have both normal trade relations and a good new policy took to monitor our human rights concern. They made this better bill, and all Americans are in their debt. Thank you.

There are so many Members here today, I can’t introduce them all, but some who had no institutional mandate to do so also joined us in fighting hard for this bill. Among them, Senator Baucus, Congressman Matsui, Congressman Dooley, Congressman Dreier, Congressman Kolbe, and Congressman Crane. I, in particular, thank those of you who worked so closely with me in this regard, and all the rest of you who fought hard for this.

Let me say, in case you’ve all forgotten, this thing was hard to pass.(Laughter) This was a lot of trouble. And I would just like to close in reiterating something that I often said in these endless meeting we had in that room right up there on the third floor where, ironically, President Franklin Roosevelt had his office during World War II.

I do think this a good economic deal for America. I think it will increase our exports, and over the long run, will strengthen our economic position in the world. But I think, by far, the most important reason to ratify this agreement is the potential it gives us to build a safer, more integrated world.

You heard Senator Moynihan talking about the day he joined the Navy. In the last 60 years of the 20th century, we fought three major wars in Asia. We can build a whole different future there now. We concluded a trade agreement with Vietnam. Today a very high official from North Korea came into the Oval Office to bring a message from the leader of North Korea. But nothing-nothing- can enhance the prospects of peace and the prospects of a very different 21st century like having china take the right path into the future....
justhefacts

Philadelphia, PA

#57905 Jun 13, 2014
bacon hater wrote:
<quoted text>Second, are you seriously blaming the recession on Clinton?.Bush, the admitted international war criminal, destroyed the greatest economy in the history of man. Not Clinton..

Entire transcript …Quote from Clinton Speech signing the China Trade Act

Like all people in the United States, the Chinese people ultimately will have to pick their own path. And they will make their own decisions. We can’t control what they do, but we can control what we do.

We overcame fears, misgivings, honest disagreements, to come together in a stunning bipartisan coalition. One Republican House Member shook hands with me today, and the first thing he said is,“Well,” he said,“I’m glad to see you, Mr. President. This is the first time I’ve ever come here since you’ve been here.”(Laughter) And I thought,“Well, if there had to be just one time, this is the time,” because we did something together here that gives our children and our grandchildren the chance to live in a world that is coming together, not coming apart. It gives all of us the chance to meet the common threats of the future together as free and independent people.

Our children will live in a world in which the information technology revolution, the biotechnology revolution, and the increasing globalization of the economy will force them to find ways to meet our common challenges and seize our common opportunities together. It’s hard to imagine how that future will work if China is not part of it.

So to every on of you, from every part of America, those in congress and those who lobbied the Congress, I hope for a long time to come you will remember this day and be proud of what you did to bring it about. And I hope and believe that our children and grandchildren will be the beneficiaries of your labors.
Thank you and God bless you.

NOTE: The President spoke at 4:52 p.m. on the South Lawn at the White House. In his remarks, the President referred to former Secretary of Commerce William M. Daley; and National Defense Commission First Vice Chairman Cho Myong-nok and President Kim Chong-il of North Korea. The transcript released by the Office of the Press Secretary also included the remarks of Secretary of state Madeleine Albright, Speaker of the House J. Dennis Hastert, Senator William V. Roth, Jr., Representative Bill Archer, Senator Daniel Patrick Moyniham, and Representative Charles B. Rangel. H.R. 4444, approved October 10, was assigned Public Law

End Transcript

Bacon Hater I’m NOT here to Win anything what’s the point. The truth and facts needs to be told…I’ve sat down with a U.S. Congressman 3 times and the President of the Senate Bitching about the Recession which was obviously caused by Clinton signing the China Trade act which Lowered the US Tariffs on Chinas imports, now U S wage cant compete. Factories had 2 choices. shut there doors Or try and get some of their products made over seas. That was a Temp slowdown but eventually China STOLE our Patents not to mention China's Militarily has broken into our US Corps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariffs_in_Unite...
The main goal of the tariff was uncontroversial—to raise money to pay the federal budget. Tariffs were the largest (approaching 95% at times) source of federal revenue until the Federal income tax began after 1913. For well over a century the federal government was largely financed by tariffs averaging about 20% on foreign imports . The goal of using higher tariffs to promote industrialization was urged by the first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton, and after him the Whig Party. They generally failed because Jeffersonian andJacksonian Democrats said the tariff should be only high enough to pay the government's bills; otherwise it would hurt the consumers. The Republicans, however, made high tariffs the centerpiece of their economic policy beginning in 1861, and as late as 1930. Since 1930 tariffs have not been a major political issue..

Since: Jun 14

Lewisburg, PA

#57906 Jun 13, 2014
Guns Feed Families wrote:
My God.......all you care about is guns??? No wonder this country is going to Hell fast!!! Never knew God or Jesus was into guns! Glad to see everyone has their priorities straight! You do know that you have a much better chance of being killed by or killing a loved one when there is a gun in the house, than you do in stopping the boogieman don't you? I'm sure that most of you would soil yourselves right before you were killed (while failing to ever actually get your gun) if you ever had to exercise your so-called second amendment rights to protect yourselves. Remember, Freud (and others) would say that men try to compensate for short comings in other areas (you know what I mean) with guns! Oh, and yes, by all means shooting defenseless animals makes you a man too!
Guns???? That's what you care about???? God help you & God help the great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania!
If we turned our guns over we would be in hell. I guess you missed all the history lessons where when a county disarmed their people, mlions of people are eventually slaughtered by the government. And many times in the bible godly men were told to arm themselves...read up on it.
R Reagan

West Mifflin, PA

#57907 Jun 13, 2014
HUH? Really ?
the multitude of jobs went over seas during Ronald Reagan's first term
we lost the manufacturing and textile industries to over seas.
Milwaukee use to be the manufacturing capital of the world.
Free trade went into movement under Ronald Reagan's first term, the corporations could move over seas and not worry about an import tax here any more.
We have been in a recession since, with lost of jobs over seas under every administration since Reagan. Try "Googling' it son. Learn something before opening your trap. And if you believe Clinton was responsible for taking jobs from this country., why didn't Bush stop it ? HUH? He had 8 years to put big tariffs on imports coming into this country...?? Bang on your keyboard now moron !
R Reagan

West Mifflin, PA

#57908 Jun 13, 2014
R Reagan wrote:
HUH? Really ?
the multitude of jobs went over seas during Ronald Reagan's first term
we lost the manufacturing and textile industries to over seas.
Milwaukee use to be the manufacturing capital of the world.
Free trade went into movement under Ronald Reagan's first term, the corporations could move over seas and not worry about an import tax here any more.
We have been in a recession since, with lost of jobs over seas under every administration since Reagan. Try "Googling' it son. Learn something before opening your trap. And if you believe Clinton was responsible for taking jobs from this country., why didn't Bush stop it ? HUH? He had 8 years to put big tariffs on imports coming into this country...?? Bang on your keyboard now moron !
George Bush Senior Spearheaded the negotiations of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which would later be signed by his successor Bill Clinton.

The wheels were already in motion when Clinton got in office......

Quit listening to Faux Noise and do your own research .
Nancy R

West Mifflin, PA

#57909 Jun 13, 2014
How many "In The Dark" conservatives think Clinton spearheaded NAFTA?
Bush the Elder's administration, along with the Progressive Conservative Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, spearheaded the negotiations of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). Bushyour city news's primary negotiator was Trade Secretary Carla Anderson Hills. While initial signing was possible during Clinton's term, negotiations made slow but steady progress during Bush's term.
Look it up fool!! LOL!
Now back to Faux Noise and the Benghazi scandal,,,,,,,,,,take it away Sean Hannity *rolls eyes *
Barry Goldwater

West Mifflin, PA

#57910 Jun 13, 2014
justhefacts wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you Dems REALLY this uneducated and dumb when you cant even remember what your most favorite Dem Pres Clinton did his last year he was president WOW What PEA brains you all are THINK…. After decades in U.S Manufacturing all of a sudden you read ‘made in China” and thought this just fell out of the Sky!!!!! Or Bush did trade relations with China!!!!!!!!!! D$M Dems got to be one of the stupidest people in the U.S. All you heard from CNN was Jobs went overseas, BUT as usual Lib news didn’t tell you WHY ….
So typical of the Dems mentality, Dems voted for the war and then you bitched about its cost, then get sidetracked on tax the rich, then cant put 2 and 2 together that the U.S lost 42,400 factories in 9 years 6.5 million factory jobs which that also caused the Housing collapse being people LOST THEIR JOBS and couldn’t pay their Mortgages. For every jobs loss 25 are affected and or lost. That puts 97 million jobs in play which just about accounts for ALL jobs loss in the recession.
Bacon hatrer you bitch about 2 trillion for the war when the U.S. lost 10s of trillions in jobs, real-estate value plummet. Unemployment coast and the list goes on. FYI welfare in 2000 was 434.3 billion MORE then the Defense budget,
I’m an expert in research and numbers, spent several YEARS researching US facts and History. I also have the actual transcript that day Clinton Signs China Trade Act China didn’t want to do this Clinton sent his OWN people over and in the 11th Hr China Gave in Why did Clinton do this? As Bleeding dems are Clinton was MORE concerned of China joining the WTO World Trade Organization to make China responsible for fair labor practice of its workers. Clinton also in his Speech thought WE were going to do great selling our recent technological Revolution products we created and China will buy from us!!!!! All they ended up buying from us in large quantities was RAW goods. H#LL US plastic Recycle from Pa etc went to Balt MD, loaded on a Ship, boated to China where they Melted down with Coal pollution then made a product and boated it to the US as Manf goods D#M imagine that environment polluted footprint alone
Clinton that personally spearheaded and signed the China Trade Act!!!!
The Plight of American Manufacturing
http://prospect.org/article/plight-american-m...
Since 2001, the U.S. has lost 42,400 factories --and its technical edge.
http://www.businessinsider.com/manufacturing-...
Chart showing US manf. Since the 40s look from 2000 the killer jobs loss timeline with Clinton signing.
http://www.businessinsider.com/manufacturing-...
http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2009/12/manufactu...
Better Bureau of Labor statistics By 2009 U.S. has less manufacturing then before the bombing of Pearl harbor
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_otfwl2zc6Qc/SzJ3-Gl...
US lost 6.5 million factory Jobs from 2000 tp 2009 For every job loss 15 others are affected and or lost.
Now over 60% of what we buy comes from foreign trade. This is why Obama Stimulus to US citizens was a joke when 60% of that money went to overseas becoming China profit and NO taxes paid to the U.S. on that China Profit.
Continued………….
http://www.businessinsider.com/manufacturing -...
Who was President in 2001? Hmmm? All jobs lost under Obama ? Dumbass !
Hilary C

Mooresville, NC

#57912 Jun 14, 2014
Buy the book!
justhefacts

Philadelphia, PA

#57913 Jun 15, 2014
Barry Goldwater wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.businessinsider.com/manufacturing -...
Who was President in 2001? Hmmm? All jobs lost under Obama ? Dumbass !
I cant believe YOU Dems are this Stupid and haven a CLUE how Gov ect works and time elements when a Law/ Trade agreement is enacted it takes a while to feel that effect and full effect.

Its like talking to 3 graders…. It didn’t matter WHO was president in 2001 Barry Goldwater or even now, Clinton Trade Act CANT be changed HE SCREWD the US economic for Decades to come D#M Why do you think Obama had a terrible time trying to create jobs and who ever next is in the SAME Boat

Its going on 8 years ans STILL the econny SUCKS!!!! It took only 12 years to get out of the Great Depression and a few years in 80s under Regan when Unemployment was HIGHER the it was the last 7 years,, WHY because for every dollar we spent in the U.S. in the 80s STAYED in the US and its TAX coffers.

Now over 60% of what we buy comes from foreign trade mostly Chinas imports. That’s WHY Obama Stimulus package was not real effected being 60% of that Dollar spent in the US went to workers in China for more work and 60% of that “Profit: stayed in CHINA Coffers,

Clinton ended his presidency right after he signed the China Trade act and Stuck Bush with that LAW Obama also had his hands tied because of Clintons Trade Act and this will affect the US good paying jobs for Decades… Its already been 15 years since Clinton in 2000 Signed and gave away out US backbone based on factories/ manufacturing..

Imagine Bush calling up China months later and say HAY that Trade Act pres Clinton worked on so hard huhhh we are going to be an Indian giver and BRAKE the “Treaty” agreement Yep U.S. looked bad enough on the world stage already we were plane bombed in Sept 11 2011

Any one with a BRAIN knows what a LAW or Trade Act etc when enacted takes a year or more to feel that effect. Especially when another country has to actually BUILD a factory look how long Obamacare was enacted and how long that’s taking to get to the projected amount needed to be viable. And NO factory needs built

To those here Dems using Reps as and escape goat Dems controlled the house and Senate Before Clinton became Pres and when he Signed NAFTA
http://uspolitics.about.com/od/usgovernment/l...

when Clinton Sign NAFTA in 93 democrats controlled all there branches of GOV Pres, Senate, Congress…Simply put Dems could have stopped NAFTA in its tracks When Obama took over again Dems controlled a 3 branches of GOV

If I had MY way I FIRED ALL parties across the Board and start over!!! Tea people included Reps have done some stuopid stuff but NOT at the long term effect Dems have been doing Like the 50 COMPLETE failure of the WAR on Poverty WELFARE then Obama law effecting every man women and child saying if you like your INS you can keep it. BOY did he Learn from Clinton I didn’t have sex with that women

Bottom line YOU sign it YOU OWN IT Clinton NAFTA.
Masters Program

Erie, PA

#57914 Jun 15, 2014
Well it looks like both Repubs and Dems are not real smart in this thread! The topic is GOVERNOR you Morons. Start a presidential thread if you want to whine about Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush I or Reagan. This thread is about GOVERNOR! We have the worst ever currently in office Terrible Tom Corbett!
Lake Errie

West Mifflin, PA

#57916 Jun 15, 2014
Masters Program wrote:
Well it looks like both Repubs and Dems are not real smart in this thread! The topic is GOVERNOR you Morons. Start a presidential thread if you want to whine about Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush I or Reagan. This thread is about GOVERNOR! We have the worst ever currently in office Terrible Tom Corbett!
Did you lose all your arguments on Obama, since you've been here before posting about Obama...I shot down your BS many times, now you want to post stuff on Governors?
Corbett is going to lose, so what's the point? LMAO...Corbett will be shamed instead of losing..........HAAAAAAAAAAAAA AA!!!!!!!!
justhefacts

Philadelphia, PA

#57917 Jun 15, 2014
R Reagan wrote:
HUH? Really ? the multitude of jobs went over seas during Ronald Reagan's first term we lost the manufacturing and textile industries to over seas. Milwaukee use to be the manufacturing capital of the world.Free trade went into movement under Ronald Reagan's first term, the corporations could move over seas and not worry about an import tax here any more.
Look Skippy I’ve lived through all of this I was born in the early 50s and you are really Dumb… WHERE overseas??? PROVE IT!!!

SHOW me that W.H bill in Legislation!!!! Where is your website facts to PROVE your BS!!! And YOU tell me to Look it UP,, well I DID!!!

You are a LIER!!! Milwaukee was gradually loosing its Manf since 1969!!!! Hears the chart….. Why are Dems are such Liars and BS all the TIME!!!!
http://billmoyers.com/2013/07/03/whats-wrong-...

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/wis...

Your REAL problem in Milwaukee manufacturing leaving was because of the demographic changes, Like N Philly Harrisburg the more ANY city in the U.S. becomes Black the MORE Crime goes up and business/factories move out. Milwaukee ranks as the 10th most dangerous city in the U.S. Then look at the workforce or lack of.

http://fox6now.com/2013/11/07/milwaukee-10-on...
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/wi/milwaukee...

http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups...
Employment in Milwaukee varies signi&#64257;cantly by race and geography. In 2000, African Americans had the highest unemployment rate of any race at over 16%. Hispanics and American Indians both had rates around
12% and Asians and Whites had the lowest rates with 10% and 5%, respectively. African American and Asian populations had the highest percentage of people not in the labor force; both over 39%. American Indians and
Whites had the lowest rates of people not in the labor force, less than 34%.

White Pop of Milwaukee is 37% Blacks 40% HS grad rates for blacks is less the 60% not to mention the black dropouts is high… Milwaukee county children food stamp,2009 white 5% black 45% ANY business in the US looks at 2 things in manufacturing what’s the tax base and what’s the work force ethics and education
http://dropoutnation.net/2013/02/04/americas-...

Gee I huess Reagan caused this also>> What a PUTZ you are in NOT researching Facts

Hello most all the stuff I buy says CHINA Not Canada, Mexico!!!! Like I said Dems are plain Dumb!!! We were in an Inflation Recession in the 80s BEFORE Regan Dummy!!! I’ve not only Googled up the facts on Clinton causing the great recession signing the China Trade Act, I went to the ultimate and Posted CLINTIONS actual; words when he signed that Trade act. NO Opinions in that Pure perfect Research!!! I even posted the GOV BLS Chart “Bureau of Labor Statistics” In Manufacturing since the 40s!!! Any Idiot can look at that and SEE what happened from 2000 to 2009 opposed to the 40s on up..
justhefacts

Philadelphia, PA

#57918 Jun 15, 2014
R Reagan wrote:
Milwaukee use to be the manufacturing capital of the world. We have been in a recession since, with lost of jobs over seas under every administration since Reagan. Try "Googling' it son. Learn something before opening your trap.
WHEN was that This is the S&P 500
http://www.multpl.com/unemployment/table

I did YEARS of Research on U.S. economy and manufacturing History and BOTH trade acts Clinton Signed… NAFTA in 93 the democrats controlled all 3 branches of Government in that time frame meaning DEMS wanted it period…. again Clinton signing China Trade Act in 2000. D#M do you DEMS EVER take responsibility for Anything your party does!!!! You should ask WHY did Clinton Personally Spearhead China Trade Act since NAFTA in small form caused US jobs to leave to Mexico..
R Reagan wrote:
Obviously you are a math flunky reason is in 93 Canada pop was 27 million, Mexico was 86 million to Build a factory and manufacture you need workers . Resources

Hello Im in my 60s you IDOIT!!!! NO son of your Skippy…. What planet do YOU live in we have NOT been in a Recession since the 80s As a matter of FACT the U.S. for the first time went through an technological Revolution in the 90s from home phone to bag phone to ell phones that fit in your pocket In the 90s U S was the Leader in Printed circuit boards WOW are YOU uneducated!!!!

[QUOTE who="R Reagan"] And if you believe Clinton was responsible for taking jobs from this country., why didn't Bush stop it ? HUH? He had 8 years to put big tariffs on imports coming into this country...?? Bang on your keyboard now moron !
For the SAME reasons Obama cant stop it when the Dems controlled the Senate, Congress, Presidency for 2 years talk about POWER in sitting political party yet they KNOW to do so is called Protectionism!!!

For Bush to renege U.S. China Trade Act is Protectionism, which can start trade wars between Countries. Yep lets piss off a communist country with 1.2 billion people ( US 311 million) and then Russia jumps in with China, Venezuela N Korea and ALL the other communist countries NOW they have a global reason to terrorize and Punch the American Liars that goes back on the words/ treaties etc. What scares me is You VOTE as dumb and ignorant as you are. Yep you’re a credit to your party for sure. But they probably won’t notice being just as ignorant as you obviously are!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectionism .
Nancy R

West Mifflin, PA

#57921 Jun 16, 2014
Do your research moron !

Ronald Reagan's War on Labor

Amidst the continued outpouring of praise for Ronald Reagan, let's not forget that he was one of the most anti-labor presidents in U.S. history, a role model for the virulently anti-labor George W. Bush.

Republican presidents never have had much regard for unions, which almost invariably have opposed their election. But until Reagan, no GOP president had dared to challenge labor's firm legal standing, gained through Democratic President Franklin D. Roosevelt in the mid-1930s.

Reagan's Republican predecessors treated union leaders much as they treated Democratic members of Congress -- as people to be fought with at times, but also as people to be bargained with at other times. But Reagan engaged in precious little bargaining. He waged almost continuous war against organized labor.

He had little apparent reason to fear labor politically, with opinion polls at the time showing that unions were opposed by nearly half of all Americans and that nearly half of those who belonged to the unions had voted for him in 1980 and again in 1984.

Reagan,in any case, was a true ideologue of the anti-labor political right. Yes, he had been president of the Screen Actors Guild, but he was notoriously pro-management, leading the way to a strike-ending agreement in 1959 that greatly weakened the union and finally resigning under membership pressure before his term ended.

Reagan's war on labor began in the summer of 1981, when he fired 13,000 striking air traffic controllers and destroyed their union. As Washington Post columnist Harold Meyerson noted, that was "an unambiguous signal that employers need feel little or no obligation to their workers, and employers got that message loud and clear -- illegally firing workers who sought to unionize, replacing permanent employees who could collect benefits with temps who could not, shipping factories and jobs abroad."

Reagan gave dedicated union foes direct control of the federal agencies that were designed originally to protect and further the rights and interests of workers and their unions.

Most important was Reagan's appointment of three management representatives to the five-member National Labor Relations Board which oversees union representation elections and labor-management bargaining, They included NLRB Chairman Donald Dotson, who believed that "unionized labor relations have been the major contributors to the decline and failure of once-healthy industries" and have caused "destruction of individual freedom."

Read more here:

http://www.dickmeister.com/id89.html
Nancy R

West Mifflin, PA

#57922 Jun 16, 2014
I blame Ronald Reagan for these things:

Had it not been for Reagan busting the air traffic controllers union, 9/11 might not have succeeded because former union air traffic controllers would have been better able to spot and isolate the hijacked planes from the others on their screen so they could have been intercepted BEFORE they hit their targets.

Nuclear weapon proliferation and escalation with the Soviet Union wouldn't have continued as long had it not been for Reagan's insistence on the missile shield ie Star Wars program.

Contributed to a vast expansion of corporate theft and illegal behavior by disabling governmental functions and regulatory agencies that would have prevented these things.

Contributed to a general distrust and dislike of government by devaluing civic participation thus discouraging good people from participating in public service.

Allowed the EPA to unravel laws that protect the environment. If you are breathing bad air and/or drinking contaminated water, it's Reagan's fault. So is the increase in global warming.

Started the trend where reporters are afraid to question or contradict the president for fear of losing access.

One reason Osama bin Laden felt emboldened enough to attack us on 9/11 was because Reagan didn't do anything when the Marine barracks in Lebanon were bombed in 1983 by suicide bombers killing 241 US servicemen. There was no serious retaliation for the Beirut bombing from the Americans. Instead, the Marines were moved offshore where they could not be targeted. On February 7, 1984, President Reagan ordered the Marines to begin withdrawal from Lebanon.

Because he asked for and got fast track authority for trade bills while removing Congress from negotiating these, we are now shipping out hundreds of billions of dollars per year to buy consumer goods from China and other countries and we are spending hundreds of billions of dollars buying our energy from elsewhere so these countries can use our own money to buy our country and our debt. And because of this our trade deficits have skyrocketed and American jobs are being moved overseas.

The U. S. hostages taken by Iran were deliberately and illegally allowed to remain hostages for much longer than necessary in order to help Reagan beat Carter in the election.

We are more dependent upon foreign oil than ever before because Reagan reversed Carter's demands for energy independence. He even removed the solar panels from the White House showing his contempt for saving energy.

We are now the largest net debtor nation and the largest importer of goods because of his trade policies and Reagonomics.
Because of Reagan our country now meets the definition of a Third World nation.•Wasted billions of taxpayer dollars that are still being wasted on failed Star Wars systems.

I have a ton more...FACT!
Nancy R

West Mifflin, PA

#57923 Jun 16, 2014
In the many eulogies to Ronald Reagan since his passing, virtually all acknowledge his role in defeating Soviet communism and reviving America’s self-confidence. But another aspect of Reagan’s record that should not be forgotten was his commitment to keeping America open to trade and immigration.

Reagan’s vision of an America open to commerce and peaceful, hardworking immigrants contradicts the anti-trade and anti-immigration views espoused by Lou Dobbs, Bill O’Reilly, Pat Buchanan, Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado, and many others who claim to speak for the conservative causes Reagan largely defined.

Reagan’s heart and head were clearly on the side of free trade. While president, he declared in 1986:“Our trade policy rests firmly on the foundation of free and open markets. I recognize … the inescapable conclusion that all of history has taught: The freer the flow of world trade, the stronger the tides of human progress and peace among nations.”

It was the Reagan administration that launched the Uruguay Round of multilateral trade negotiations in 1986 that lowered global tariffs and created the World Trade Organization. It was his administration that won approval of the U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement in 1988. That agreement soon expanded to include Mexico in what became the North American Free Trade Agreement, realizing a vision that Reagan first articulated in the 1980 campaign. It was Reagan who vetoed protectionist textile quota bills in 1985 and 1988.

During Reagan’s eight years in office, Americans eagerly expanded their engagement in the global economy. In 1980, the year before Reagan became president, Americans spent a total of $334 billion on imported goods and services and payments on foreign investment in the United States. By 1988, his last year in office, American spending in the global economy had nearly doubled, to $663 billion. If Reagan was a “protectionist,” it had no discernable effect on the ability of Americans to spend freely in the global marketplace. Fittingly, one of the major federal buildings on Pennsylvania Avenue is named the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center.

Looky here:

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/r...
Nancy R

West Mifflin, PA

#57924 Jun 16, 2014
Long-Standing Support for Free Trade with Mexico. Ronald Reagan first proposed a free trade agreement between the U.S. and Mexico in his 1980 presidential campaign. Since that time, The Heritage Foundation is proud of the role it has played in articulating President Reagan's vision of free trade in Latin America and around the world. Since the mid-1980s, Heritage analysts have been stressing that a free trade agreement with Mexico not only will stimulate economic growth in the U.S., but will make Mexico a more stable and prosperous country. Heritage has published over three dozen studies stressing the benefits of free trade in North America.
The Foundation also has highlighted the Mexican success story. Under the leadership of Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari, Mexico has moved further and faster than practically any other country in the world in promoting free market reforms and free trade. The approval of the NAFTA by the Congress is a recognition of these historic advances and will help ensure that the momentum in favor of economic and political liberty throughout the Americas is maintained.
In June 1986, then-Heritage analyst Edward L. Hudgins wrote "A U.S. Strategy to Solve Mexico's Debt Crisis." In that Backgrounder, Hudgins urged the Reagan Administration to "explore further special free trade and investment arrangements" with Mexico. Said Hudgins: "The possibility of a complete free trade and investment zone [between the U.S. and Mexico] should be explored. Ultimately, a complete Free Trade Area between the U.S. and Mexico should be sought, similar to the U.S.-Canada pact [then] being negotiated."
Four years later, Heritage analyst Michael Wilson argued in an Executive Memorandum entitled "Bush and Salinas Should Launch Free Trade Talks Between the U.S. and Mexico": "What were once distant neighbors now appear to be developing into economic and geopolitical partners. George Bush should strengthen this cooperative relationship not only by supporting Salinas's economic reforms, but by moving quickly to negotiate a free trade agreement with Mexico."
Read more here:
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/1993...
Feel free to ask on how Clinton destroyed America by signing NAFTA when GOP Presidents ( Reagan and Bush and others ) totally supported this agreement.
Spelling Bee

West Mifflin, PA

#57926 Jun 16, 2014
justhefacts wrote:
<quoted text>
Look Skippy I’ve lived through all of this I was born in the early 50s and you are really Dumb… WHERE overseas??? PROVE IT!!!
SHOW me that W.H bill in Legislation!!!! Where is your website facts to PROVE your BS!!! And YOU tell me to Look it UP,, well I DID!!!
You are a LIER!!! Milwaukee was gradually loosing its Manf since 1969!!!! Hears the chart….. Why are Dems are such Liars and BS all the TIME!!!!
http://billmoyers.com/2013/07/03/whats-wrong-...
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/wis...
Your REAL problem in Milwaukee manufacturing leaving was because of the demographic changes, Like N Philly Harrisburg the more ANY city in the U.S. becomes Black the MORE Crime goes up and business/factories move out. Milwaukee ranks as the 10th most dangerous city in the U.S. Then look at the workforce or lack of.
http://fox6now.com/2013/11/07/milwaukee-10-on...
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/wi/milwaukee...
http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/Groups...
Employment in Milwaukee varies signi&#64257;cantly by race and geography. In 2000, African Americans had the highest unemployment rate of any race at over 16%. Hispanics and American Indians both had rates around
12% and Asians and Whites had the lowest rates with 10% and 5%, respectively. African American and Asian populations had the highest percentage of people not in the labor force; both over 39%. American Indians and
Whites had the lowest rates of people not in the labor force, less than 34%.
White Pop of Milwaukee is 37% Blacks 40% HS grad rates for blacks is less the 60% not to mention the black dropouts is high… Milwaukee county children food stamp,2009 white 5% black 45% ANY business in the US looks at 2 things in manufacturing what’s the tax base and what’s the work force ethics and education
http://dropoutnation.net/2013/02/04/americas-...
Gee I huess Reagan caused this also>> What a PUTZ you are in NOT researching Facts
Hello most all the stuff I buy says CHINA Not Canada, Mexico!!!! Like I said Dems are plain Dumb!!! We were in an Inflation Recession in the 80s BEFORE Regan Dummy!!! I’ve not only Googled up the facts on Clinton causing the great recession signing the China Trade Act, I went to the ultimate and Posted CLINTIONS actual; words when he signed that Trade act. NO Opinions in that Pure perfect Research!!! I even posted the GOV BLS Chart “Bureau of Labor Statistics” In Manufacturing since the 40s!!! Any Idiot can look at that and SEE what happened from 2000 to 2009 opposed to the 40s on up..
Learn to spell fuktard
PA Dem

Philadelphia, PA

#57927 Jun 16, 2014
Spelling Bee wrote:
<quoted text> Learn to spell fuktard
lolol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Thu Knows he lost 3,921
Nellie Lou Esworthy Aug 6 MARIANNE DUBOIS-Z... 1
Woman accused of having sex with boy Aug 5 no sex 1
celebrities phone numbers (Mar '08) Apr '14 CJ Robertson 16
brother in prison in loretto (Feb '10) Oct '13 Concerned 17
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Jul '13 republican 156
Pennsylvania: accused Franciscan friar commits ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Fictional Shamed... 1
•••
•••
•••

Loretto Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Loretto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Loretto News, Events & Info