Who do you support for Governor in Pe...
MC Hammer

Chambersburg, PA

#54187 Nov 19, 2013
Obama reads from DRAFT copy of Gettysburg Address that omits “under God” at the request of filmmaker Ken Burns.('Nicolay Version').
_
Who didn't see this comming? Once again he shows his distaste for God and traditions. I wonder why he didn't omit it when he swore in?
wingnut

West Mifflin, PA

#54188 Nov 19, 2013
MC Hammer wrote:
Obama reads from DRAFT copy of Gettysburg Address that omits “under God” at the request of filmmaker Ken Burns.('Nicolay Version').
_
Who didn't see this comming? Once again he shows his distaste for God and traditions. I wonder why he didn't omit it when he swore in?
Right-Wing Noise Machine Fabricates Gettysburg Address Omission To Attack Obama
Obama Was Asked To Recite Lincoln's Original Draft, Which Did Not Contain Phrase "Under God"

President Obama's recitation of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address is sparking hysteria from the right-wing media who slammed the president for omitting the phrase "under God." But ironically, in their hurry to attack the president, they omitted the fact that Obama was reading the first draft of the speech -- a draft that did not include "under God" -- at the request of filmmaker Ken Burns.

To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address, filmmaker Ken Burns compiled footage of important national figures -- including Obama and all the living former presidents -- reciting portions of the speech

Obama's recitation was not 'curious,' it was accurate -- Burns requested that President Obama read the 'Nicolay Version' of the Address, which was Lincoln's first draft of the Address and does not contain the phrase "under God." The relevant text of the Nicolay version, which Obama recites.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/11/19/right...
wingnut

West Mifflin, PA

#54189 Nov 19, 2013
MC Hammer wrote:
_
I'd like to see a poll of how many people know that "So help me, God", is not part of the Presidential oath as it appears in the Constitution.

The oath of office of the President of the United States is an oath or affirmation required by the United States Constitution before the President begins the execution of the office. The wording is specified in Article Two, Section One, Clause Eight:

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

It is uncertain how many Presidents used a Bible or added the words "So help me God" at the end of the oath, or in their acceptance of the oath, as neither is required by law; unlike many other federal oaths which do include the phrase "So help me God."[31] There is currently debate as to whether or not George Washington, the first president, added the phrase to his acceptance of the oath. No contemporary sources mention Washington as adding a religious codicil to his acceptance.

Chief Justice Roberts' reply was that his "prompting" for these four extra-constitutional words were to be recited "after" the oath of office, and not as a part of the oath as claimed in the suit. After rendering the oath to President Barack Obama, Roberts prompted with a question "So help you God?", to which the President responded, "So help me God".

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_office_o...
no clue

West Mifflin, PA

#54191 Nov 19, 2013
Irelands own wrote:
<quoted text>I suggest you go back and read my post 54173. Obviously it went over your head so I will explain it to you in a way that a 6 year old will understand.
If your car is not driven and just sits because it is in storage, it is not licensed, it is not registered, you DO NOT need insurance and you WILL NOT be fined. DUH! If you do not have health care under Obamacare YOU WILL BE FINED!
Do you understand now or are you still confused?
So if one person sits all day doing nothing and is not working and just 'sits' there.. he/she doesnt need healthcare? LMAO!
PS...... now you have your car in storage and has no plate or current inspection sticker? Again....Obamacare is not a forced issue....either you have it or you dont..that's a choice !!!! LMAO! No comparison bucko!

comparing cars and people are not even close to putting a car in storage........read my first post on the subject moron! LOL!

Spin away fool! LOL!
no clue

West Mifflin, PA

#54192 Nov 19, 2013
MC Hammer wrote:
_
Would you like to recant on this issue since I shot you down?........or skip the subject as you always do when you're called out and wrong as usual? LOL!

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#54195 Nov 19, 2013
TPM:

Reports: Obamacare Enrollment On The Rise

Obamacare enrollment seems to be recovering from its slow start and picking up in the last few weeks, according to news reports.

The New York Times reported Monday that more than 50,000 Americans had selected a health plan through HealthCare.gov , the federal website serving 36 states, as of mid-November. That's up from about 27,000 who had picked a plan over the entire month of October.

According to the Los Angeles Times, enrollment in some of the 15 state marketplaces is also on the upswing. In the first half of November, California has nearly doubled its enrollment in all of October.

In the Minnesota, the rate of enrollment in the second half of October was triple what it had been in the first half of the month. State officials in Connecticut, Kentucky and Washington told the Times that they were on pace to beat their enrollment goals and/or top last month's enrollment.

Chambersburg, PA

#54196 Nov 19, 2013
A New G.O.P. Excuse for Doing Nothing

With unrestrained glee, Republicans are using the calamitous debut of the Affordable Care Act as their latest justification for undermining all of health care reform.

But they’re not stopping there. The Obama administration’s fumbling is apparently a good excuse for them to do nothing on immigration reform, on a budget agreement, and on any other initiative coming out of the White House.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/19/opinion/a-n...

Chambersburg, PA

#54197 Nov 19, 2013
In States Where the Website Works, Obamacare Works Too

From the LA Times:

A number of states that use their own systems, including California, are on track to hit enrollment targets for 2014 because of a sharp increase in November, according to state officials.

"What we are seeing is incredible momentum," said Peter Lee, director of Covered California, the nation's largest state insurance marketplace, which accounted for a third of all enrollments nationally in October. California — which enrolled about 31,000 people in health plans last month — nearly doubled that in the first two weeks of this month.

Several other states, including Connecticut and Kentucky, are outpacing their enrollment estimates, even as states that depend on the federal website lag far behind. In Minnesota, enrollment in the second half of October ran at triple the rate of the first half, officials said. Washington state is also on track to easily exceed its October enrollment figure, officials said.

It really is all about the website. In places where it's working, people are signing up and are pretty happy with what they're getting. Rate shock is an issue for a few of them, but not for a lot. The bottom line is the Republican Party's worst nightmare: Once Obamacare has been up and running for a while, it's going to be pretty popular.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/11...
Faux News

West Mifflin, PA

#54198 Nov 19, 2013
Irelands own wrote:
<quoted text> you got zilch right and guess why? You have NO CLUE!! That's what you call yourself and I guess that's why.....you have no clue!!! HA! HA! HA!
I rest my case in your car theory and your "so help me God".LOL!

Make up another bogus post or stay tuned to FIXED news for more updated, trustworthy,late break unbaised news........now back to Sean Hannity on Benghazi!!........rolls eyes*

Chambersburg, PA

#54199 Nov 19, 2013
They’ve learned nothing!: Media’s Obamacare coverage is humiliating

It was a frenzy over … exactly what, anyway? The only shred of news about the Affordable Care Act this week to hang all of the hype on was the numbers on October signups, but given the thoroughly covered disaster with the initial rollout, the results were surely no surprise at all. As for the other strand of trouble, the pledge about keeping insurance, that’s been around for a few weeks now and nothing really happened this week to create a bigger flap.

All of which suggests that this is a press story, not a presidency or policy story.

The press is comparing this healthcare disaster (presumably the one that happened six weeks ago?) to Bush’s Katrina. A better comparison might be from the Bill Clinton era: Whitewater.

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/16/theyve_learne...
what Fox doesnt report

West Mifflin, PA

#54200 Nov 19, 2013
Obamacare Enrollment Surging in States With Working Websites

A number of states that use their own systems, including California, are on track to hit enrollment targets for 2014 because of a sharp increase in November, according to state officials.

Several other states, including Connecticut and Kentucky, are outpacing their enrollment estimates, even as states that depend on the federal website lag far behind. In Minnesota, enrollment in the second half of October ran at triple the rate of the first half, officials said. Washington state is also on track to easily exceed its October enrollment figure, officials said.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/11/1...
what Fox doesnt report

West Mifflin, PA

#54201 Nov 19, 2013
Obamacare Is Working, Even For Republicans!

Butch Matthews is a 61-year-old former small business owner from Little Rock, Arkansas who used to wake up every morning at 4 A.M. to deliver canned beverages to retailers before retiring in 2010. A lifelong Republican, he was heavily skeptical of the Affordable Care Act when it first passed.“I did not think that Obamacare was going to be a good plan, I did not think that it was going to help me at all,” he told ThinkProgress over the phone.

But after doing a little research, Matthews eventually realized how much the law could help him. And on Tuesday, his local Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) provider confirmed that he would be able to buy a far better plan than his current policy while saving at least $13,000 per year through Arkansas’ Obamacare marketplace.

Matthews was self-employed between 1997 and 2010, meaning he had to purchase his own plan on the individual market. He chose a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan for himself and his wife that charged a $250 per month premium and had a $2,000 deductible. But the price of that policy kept rising even as it covered fewer of his costs, eventually devolving into his current rate of $1,069 per month with a $10,000 deductible. At this point, it doesn’t even cover his medication or doctors’ visits — particularly concerning considering he had to have two stents placed in his heart in 2006.

“I do not work now, I’m 61, and we do have assets saved up. But still, to come up with that $1,069 per month….” he said, trailing off.“I went to Blue Cross Blue Shield, and they don’t even sell that plan anymore, but I could not change it to anything else. So I was locked in with it.”

http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/obamacare-wo...
what Fox doesnt report

West Mifflin, PA

#54204 Nov 19, 2013
Obamacare Is Already Working: Three Things You Need To Know About The Future Of Health Care

So is it a train wreck?

That was the dire warning of Max Baucus (D-Don’t Let The Door Hit You), when he lamented the challenge of implementing a bill as big and unwieldy as Obamacare the Affordable Care Act.

But as the ACA nears its official 2014 implementation deadline, the emerging data suggest the bill is actually over-performing.(And with Republicans lowering expectations by pushing the #trainwreck line,“better than expected” is actually covering the spread.)

In assessing the ACA’s success or failure, it helps to remember the aims of the bill when it was passed in 2009, goals that were various and mutually reinforcing: to expand coverage, especially to those who couldn’t afford health insurance on the current market; to lower health care costs (aka “bending the cost curve”); to improve Americans’ health overall; and to shrink deficits by reducing the amount spent by both the federal government and individuals on health care. Obviously, these goals overlap: lower costs help reduce deficits; getting more people on insurance plans earlier keeps them healthier, which reduces costs down the line, and so forth.

Take a peek here:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/obamacare-is-a...
What Fox doesnt report

West Mifflin, PA

#54207 Nov 19, 2013
How Obamacare is working for states

In our states - Washington, Kentucky and Connecticut - the Affordable Care Act, or "Obamacare," is working. Tens of thousands of our residents have enrolled in affordable health-care coverage. Many of them could not get insurance before the law was enacted.

People keep asking us why our states have been successful. Here's a hint: It's not about our websites.

Sure, having functioning websites for our health-care exchanges makes the job of meeting the enormous demand for affordable coverage much easier, but each of our state websites has had its share of technical glitches. As we have demonstrated on a near-daily basis, websites can continually be improved to meet consumers' needs.

The Affordable Care Act has been successful in our states because our political and community leaders grasped the importance of expanding health-care coverage and have avoided the temptation to use health-care reform as a political football.

In Washington, the legislature authorized Medicaid expansion with overwhelmingly bipartisan votes in the House and Senate this summer because legislators understood that it could help create more than 10,000 jobs, save more than $300 million for the state in the first 18 months, and, most important, provide several hundred thousand uninsured Washingtonians with health coverage.

In Kentucky, two independent studies showed that the Bluegrass State couldn't afford not to expand Medicaid. Expansion offered huge savings in the state budget and is expected to create 17,000 jobs

Take a peek here:

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/oped/opinion-h...
What Fox doesnt report

West Mifflin, PA

#54208 Nov 19, 2013
Compass: Obamacare is needed, and already working

Why do some people want to defund Obamacare? A lot of people make a lot of money from the current system. Some insurance companies have a profit of up to 35 percent and Obamacare will decrease that to only 20 percent. Drug companies make huge profits, charging up to $90,000 for a single dose of some cancer drugs. Obamacare will eventually limit those charges. Some subspecialty doctors make up to $5 million a year and Obamacare will correct that. This year, the few who make so much money will spend hundreds of millions of dollars to fight Obamacare. One special interest group, Americans for Prosperity, is spending $180,000 just on television ads in Alaska

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/10/14/3122451/compass...

Chambersburg, PA

#54209 Nov 19, 2013
The Obamacare Hysteria Bubble Is About to Burst

It's time to take bets. Last week the stars aligned and the media went into an insane feeding frenzy about what Obamacare's rollout problems meant. Democrats in disarray! No, wait. It's worse. Democrats are running for the exits! No, wait. Next year's midterms are set to be a disaster! No, wait. Obamacare is doomed! No, wait. Liberalism is doomed!

So here's the bet. This has pretty obviously become a game of one-upsmanship, and it seems to be continuing this week. For a story to get attention, it has to be even more hysterical than anything that's come before, so that's what we're getting. It's a doom-mongering bubble.

But bubbles always burst eventually. So when will the backlash arrive? What story will, in retrospect, be seen as the pinnacle of panic-stricken hysteria? Who will write it? When will it appear?

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2013/11...

Chambersburg, PA

#54210 Nov 19, 2013
Why It’s Time To Start Talking About Reforming, Not Repealing, Obamacare

By David Frum

I've been pounding this drum for a long time, and it needs to be pounded some more. Obamacare is a fact— a malfunctioning fact, like so much of the rest of the American healthcare system, yet a fact all the same. Its beneficiaries are rapidly coalescing into a vested interest, as the pharmaceutical companies and hospital insurance corporations and other providers are vested interests.

Policy cannot realistically be made by dismissing such interests. They have gained something they will think is worth protecting. They will have the votes to protect it. If reform is needed, and it is, they will have to be offered something better.

Repeal is a fantasy. Reform is the task ahead.
What Fox doesnt report

West Mifflin, PA

#54211 Nov 19, 2013
You can't blame people for being frightened. The Koch brothers have spent millions spreading lies, because they will lose money if our health care dollars are spent on actual health care instead of profits for big pharma and doctors. But I hope some people will listen to Dr. Leiberson, who has experience and education in this field, rather than those stupid ads and paid-for right-wing politicians.

Chambersburg, PA

#54212 Nov 19, 2013
Chill: Obamacare snafus are fixable

Yet despite the bed-wetting from Beltway Chicken Littles, the President's problems are eminently fixable. The Affordable Care Act isn'

t collapsing. The Obama presidency isn't imploding. And the ninnies making those sweeping and stupid predictions will one day look like the Washington pundit who boldly declared of the Clinton presidency, "This week we can talk about 'Is the presidency over?' "

He asked that question 11 days after Bill Clinton's inaugural. His first inaugural. Clinton's presidency was not over for another 2,911 days.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/18/opinion/begala-...

Chambersburg, PA

#54213 Nov 19, 2013
Six Things the Media Doesn't Understand About Obamacare

The Obamacare cancellation stories have dominated the media for the past two weeks. And it’s easy to understand why. People losing their insurance is a bigger story than people getting insurance for the first time. But how big a story should it be? To answer that, you need to know how many people actually fit these descriptions—and what might have happened to these people if the Affordable Care Act had never become law.

1. People With These Policies Frequently Don’t Like Them: The best estimates suggest that about 12 to 15 million people buy insurance on their own. In other words, they are part of the “non-group” market. The best survey on this subject I’ve seen comes from the Center for Health Research and Transformation. In it, nearly half of all people surveyed rated their non-group coverage “fair or poor.”

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/115625/oba...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Appeals court nixes suit May 1 unknown 1
Jesus, Son of God (Mar '14) Apr '15 Jesus 4
To the REALIST, (Mar '14) Apr '15 The devil 2
grace mcguire (Feb '13) Mar '15 Gary Pelphrey 5
Apartment Hunting (Sep '14) Sep '14 Jima 1
News Nellie Lou Esworthy (Aug '14) Aug '14 MARIANNE DUBOIS-Z... 1
News Woman accused of having sex with boy (Aug '14) Aug '14 no sex 1
More from around the web

Loretto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE