“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#47658 Feb 27, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Only one bite at the apple would be better.
But floods do not have any definite correlation with climate change, let alone man-made climate change.
I was thinking of people building in a hundred year flood plain. That should be an extraordinary event but building there should take a precaution in the event of a hundred year flood.

Example - Scranton, PA was prone to flooding so they built levees on the Susquehanna river. Not long after, Hurricane Agnes parked itself over the city and dumped tons of rain beyond all expectations and overwhelmed the levees built. Another government failure because they didn't account for an extraordinary event like a hurricane parking itself over NE PA?

Whether climate change is man made or not, there looks to be a shift in the climate. This is not new in the history of the Earth.

Now we have a choice - try to predict what will happen and prepare for it at a cost or ignore the warnings and cry "all is well this quarter!"

A crude analogy might be you are standing on railroad tracks.
The lights go on.
"False alarm". you might say.
The gates start coming down.
"Bogus. The gate maintenance workers are just trying to protect their government jobs."
Train runs you down.
"Uncle Sam! Help me!"
And Uncle Sam replies "Sorry. We need to keep the trains running for those not standing on the tracks."

And if you think the researchers are living high off the government teats, consider how much money is available as a whole vs. CEO bonuses.

The person trying to find a cure for a cancer over a decade is so less important than a CEO spinning PR to maintain the stock price this quarter.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#47659 Feb 27, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking of people building in a hundred year flood plain. That should be an extraordinary event but building there should take a precaution in the event of a hundred year flood.
Example - Scranton, PA was prone to flooding so they built levees on the Susquehanna river. Not long after, Hurricane Agnes parked itself over the city and dumped tons of rain beyond all expectations and overwhelmed the levees built. Another government failure because they didn't account for an extraordinary event like a hurricane parking itself over NE PA?
Whether climate change is man made or not, there looks to be a shift in the climate. This is not new in the history of the Earth.
Now we have a choice - try to predict what will happen and prepare for it at a cost or ignore the warnings and cry "all is well this quarter!"
A crude analogy might be you are standing on railroad tracks.
The lights go on.
"False alarm". you might say.
The gates start coming down.
"Bogus. The gate maintenance workers are just trying to protect their government jobs."
Train runs you down.
"Uncle Sam! Help me!"
And Uncle Sam replies "Sorry. We need to keep the trains running for those not standing on the tracks."
And if you think the researchers are living high off the government teats, consider how much money is available as a whole vs. CEO bonuses.
The person trying to find a cure for a cancer over a decade is so less important than a CEO spinning PR to maintain the stock price this quarter.
Government disaster relief should not be eligible for use to rebuild in a flood plain.

“Right click Left click Yay!”

Since: Dec 10

Nehwon

#47660 Feb 27, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Government disaster relief should not be eligible for use to rebuild in a flood plain.
What if there is a break even point?

Say the tax revenues from the owners of prime real estate of coastal Florida or NC outer banks development yields a tiny return. Keep insuring them at a cost to everyone else?

What about New Orleans? From what I see, that city is doomed to submersion. The aftermath of Katrina was a prime time to relocate it a few miles to higher ground.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47661 Feb 28, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Name a university that offers a doctorate in "climatology" or any organization that certifies "climatologists", other than TV stations for the 11 PM news.
Are you honestly claiming that there is no such thing as climate scientists who devote their professional careers to studying the earth's climate?

Are you actually claiming that there are not professional experts in the earth's climate?

Come on now - be serious.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47662 Feb 28, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Name a university that offers a doctorate in "climatology" or any organization that certifies "climatologists", other than TV stations for the 11 PM news.
So you tune into the 11pm news to get the 5-day climate forecast, do you?

LOL! If you don't even know the difference between climate and weather, it's no wonder you believe there's legitimate scientific controversy regarding man-made global warming - you are embarrassingly uninformed/misinformed about climate and climate change.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47663 Feb 28, 2013
Reader wrote:
Whats with this Marisa obsession that a few posters have here? Dan the Man and Bobby seem to think every unknown poster that comes here is Marisa.
You are very confused. I haven't posted anything about Marisa since November.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47664 Feb 28, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
How about a "3 strikes and you're out" policy when it comes to coastal/flood plains? House destroyed the third time, no more national bailout insurance on your beachfront property.
This would pit the climate change deniers money where their mouths are. In a free market, they now get to take all the risks vs. the reward with no government safety net as no private insurance company would play.
But realistically, the scamming insurance would. They'd just declare bankruptcy when it comes to paying out after boodles of bonuses were paid to the executives. Then place blame on the government.
"Privatize the profits, Socialize the losses" is the name of the game now.
At some point, the costs for ignoring climate change will reach the point that conservatives won't be able to ignore them anymore. Unfortunately, by then, it may well be too late and we'll have both the costs of mitigating against future warming AND the costs of the warming that's already occurred.

Typical rightwing short-sightedness - prioritizing short-term reward over long-term costs. Just like always.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#47669 Feb 28, 2013
greymouser wrote:
<quoted text>
What if there is a break even point?
Say the tax revenues from the owners of prime real estate of coastal Florida or NC outer banks development yields a tiny return. Keep insuring them at a cost to everyone else?
What about New Orleans? From what I see, that city is doomed to submersion. The aftermath of Katrina was a prime time to relocate it a few miles to higher ground.
Your analysis fails because real estate taxes benefit only local government, while disaster aid comes from federal taxpayers.

Low-lying areas of New Orleans should be abandoned to nature.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#47670 Feb 28, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you honestly claiming that there is no such thing as climate scientists who devote their professional careers to studying the earth's climate?
Are you actually claiming that there are not professional experts in the earth's climate?
Come on now - be serious.
Name a university that offers a doctorate in "climatology" or any organization that certifies "climatologists", other than TV stations for the 11 PM news.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#47671 Feb 28, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
So you tune into the 11pm news to get the 5-day climate forecast, do you?
LOL! If you don't even know the difference between climate and weather, it's no wonder you believe there's legitimate scientific controversy regarding man-made global warming - you are embarrassingly uninformed/misinformed about climate and climate change.
Many scientists believe that the level of solar activity has far greater effect on our climate than does the activities of man.

"Man-made climate change" is a political movement to restrict growth, not a scientific fact.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47674 Feb 28, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Name a university that offers a doctorate in "climatology" or any organization that certifies "climatologists", other than TV stations for the 11 PM news.
LOL! I see you're avoiding my question by asking irrelevant questions.

Tell you what - I'll answer yours then you answer mine. I'll even go first...

5 universities that offer PhD degrees in climatology:
George Mason University,
University of Delaware,
University of South Florida,
Ohio State,
Utah State,
University of Miami

So - are you seriously suggesting that there is no such thing as climate scientists who devote their professional careers to studying the earth's climate?

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47675 Feb 28, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Many scientists believe that the level of solar activity has far greater effect on our climate than does the activities of man.
"Man-made climate change" is a political movement to restrict growth, not a scientific fact.
Then they are in a tiny minority. Something like 99% of climate scientists agree that climate change is real and is caused by the activities of man.

Man-made climate change is evidence-based science.

Skepticism of it is politically motivated and based on an ideology and not evidence.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#47679 Feb 28, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! I see you're avoiding my question by asking irrelevant questions.
Tell you what - I'll answer yours then you answer mine. I'll even go first...
5 universities that offer PhD degrees in climatology:
George Mason University,
University of Delaware,
University of South Florida,
Ohio State,
Utah State,
University of Miami
So - are you seriously suggesting that there is no such thing as climate scientists who devote their professional careers to studying the earth's climate?
The Ohio State University does not list a graduate program in "Climatology."

The others are insignificant schools not worth the effort of checking.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47681 Feb 28, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The Ohio State University does not list a graduate program in "Climatology."
The others are insignificant schools not worth the effort of checking.
You asked for one and I gave you six. Now you want to change the terms of your request.

This is what a person does who can't defend his argument with evidence.

BTW - why haven't you answered my questions? You demand that I answer yours, so I did. Why won't you show me the same courtesy?

Since: Feb 13

Philadelphia, PA

#47685 Feb 28, 2013
LMFAO wrote:
<quoted text>
youre a douche bag son
Thank you for the compliment. You could have trolled and made fun of my many typo's but you went the easy route and pulled out a saying that was full of wits and never used in regards of being left speechless on some fact and trust. i can leave another ramble with resources and links that will contain full facts and data of all i spoke about. would you like to see that, or is a douche bag unable of doing such a thing? I mean I just lost my job friday to a corporation who's Union Contract is coming up in May. Being a new Employee and only one paycheck away from getting into this companies union with my paycheck dues, I was fired, and you know why? Because I have a very clean understanding of Labor Laws and Civil rights, and I pointed that out to those working for 10-15-20 years at this company talking about how every contract comes and goes and nothing gets done, and well it was sad i had to point out they were fighting for already state given rights and given up on the same. It does not pay to be informed in this society. Either you can balk and be told the truth and instead of debate it and say your wrong,or say but do you also know? and shed some light on your views and facts, or etc, you have a simple reply yor a douche bag. well if being a douche bag comes with not being a following hypocrite that has no problem taking heat when he is wrong, but has no problem backing up the facts he speaks on, if that=a douche bag, well a proud douche bag I am.
Gringo

Washington, DC

#47691 Feb 28, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Government disaster relief should not be eligible for use to rebuild in a flood plain.
WOW....you're really deep.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#47697 Mar 1, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked for one and I gave you six. Now you want to change the terms of your request.
This is what a person does who can't defend his argument with evidence.
BTW - why haven't you answered my questions? You demand that I answer yours, so I did. Why won't you show me the same courtesy?
The University of Delaware does not award a Ph.D. in "Climatology."

Find one that does and provide a link.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47698 Mar 1, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
The University of Delaware does not award a Ph.D. in "Climatology."
Find one that does and provide a link.
LOL! You asked for ONE and I gave you SIX. Now you're demanding a link. Jesus, grow up.

It's your turn. Answer my question and I'll give you links.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#47699 Mar 1, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! You asked for ONE and I gave you SIX. Now you're demanding a link. Jesus, grow up.
It's your turn. Answer my question and I'll give you links.
Already checked two of your six and found them to be inaccurate.

What is your question?

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#47702 Mar 1, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Already checked two of your six and found them to be inaccurate.
What is your question?
Are you claiming that there is no such thing as climate scientists who devote their professional careers to studying the earth's climate? Are you claiming that there are not professional experts in the earth's climate?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Appeals court nixes suit May 1 unknown 1
Jesus, Son of God (Mar '14) Apr 13 Jesus 4
To the REALIST, (Mar '14) Apr 13 The devil 2
grace mcguire (Feb '13) Mar '15 Gary Pelphrey 5
Apartment Hunting (Sep '14) Sep '14 Jima 1
News Nellie Lou Esworthy (Aug '14) Aug '14 MARIANNE DUBOIS-Z... 1
News Woman accused of having sex with boy (Aug '14) Aug '14 no sex 1
More from around the web

Loretto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]