Restaurant Tourism Tax

Posted in the Loretto Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Citizen of Lebanon

Elizabethtown, KY

#1 Mar 8, 2011
Well it looks like the drunk councilman Abell and power hungry Marret has tricked the city counsil into eliminating the restaurant tax. Lebanon took one step forward when tourism was formed and 8 steps back when they decided to destroy it.

It's just like E-911, EVERY county in the state of KY has it except Lebanon and two other counties out of hundreds in KY.

I'm very disappointed in some of the selfish decisions that our city and county leader make these days.
Morons

London, KY

#2 Mar 8, 2011
People can sit here all day long and talk about how this tourism tax has helped this community and in the time it has been here please show me where this town has thrived off of it? Over 30% of that tax paid for 2 people to have jobs and the rest went to running internet web pages and printing fliers to bring people to good ole Lebanon Ky. These sponsored events promoted by the commission may have brought a few people here to visit but i dont see that as enough of a reason to justify that tax. People need to wake up and realize that Kenny was a man on a mission and knew what he wanted to do before he was even elected to the city council. This is why myself and others voted for him. He scrutinized the tourism commission and discovered that it was almost useless as he was the one appointed to correct the path of tourism in Lebanon, then shortly thereafter declined that position.

If you had a problem with your Lebanon city council then why did you vote for them? More than likely you didnt vote at all as is the same with the majority of Lebanon. Only about 40% of the registered voters came out to vote in November not to mention that almost 20% of people in this community are not even registered to vote. If you want to change things get out and vote. Call your friends up and tell them to get out and vote. The american people hold the power to change what they want to only problem is, they choose not to.
Go tourism

Bowling Green, KY

#3 Mar 8, 2011
Morons wrote:
People can sit here all day long and talk about how this tourism tax has helped this community and in the time it has been here please show me where this town has thrived off of it? Over 30% of that tax paid for 2 people to have jobs and the rest went to running internet web pages and printing fliers to bring people to good ole Lebanon Ky. These sponsored events promoted by the commission may have brought a few people here to visit but i dont see that as enough of a reason to justify that tax. People need to wake up and realize that Kenny was a man on a mission and knew what he wanted to do before he was even elected to the city council. This is why myself and others voted for him. He scrutinized the tourism commission and discovered that it was almost useless as he was the one appointed to correct the path of tourism in Lebanon, then shortly thereafter declined that position.

If you had a problem with your Lebanon city council then why did you vote for them? More than likely you didnt vote at all as is the same with the majority of Lebanon. Only about 40% of the registered voters came out to vote in November not to mention that almost 20% of people in this community are not even registered to vote. If you want to change things get out and vote. Call your friends up and tell them to get out and vote. The american people hold the power to change what they want to only problem is, they choose not to.
Well, if Kenny was scrutinizing and finding tourism dollars useless, he sure was trying awful hard to spend THOSE FUNDS on projects HE SUPPORTED. What paid for those Christmas lights he wanted and who was trying to score funds to pay for baseball tournaments? Someone is acting like a big baby because they didn't get their way. Trying to get the mayor to convince Hamilton to resign and when that doesn't happen, he goes after the main funding for the tourism dept. IMHO, he doesn't have the towns best interest in mind, only his own agenda.
funny

Columbia, KY

#4 Mar 8, 2011
If the tourism commission was so useless to Marrett then why did he come to them asking 20,000 for a barbecue festival, which he received 12,000 for and 10,000 for snowflake lights which he received. Kenny just couldn't control the commission the way he wanted and decided the only course of action was to do away with it because he knew he could never get Chris fired because he had no legal grounds. It's this type of good ole boy system and backwards thinking that will keep Lebanon behind most other cities. If you look at the numbers the restaurant tax numbers were growing in years when everyone else was in recession. Actually only 20-25% of the budget was spent on employee salaries. The state average is 40%. You can't change the minds of people who don't want to be changed though. It wouldn't have mattered what Chris did Kenny was a bulldog who wouldn't let go. It's just a shame that the city will suffer because of the actions of one person who had a personal agenda.
Go time

Campbellsville, KY

#5 Mar 8, 2011
Don't worry you little people the King is here to help you whether you need it or not!

Shame on the council. When something ought to be fixed, leaders work to fix it not blow it up. Unless they never wanted to fix it in the first place! The person who received the most from the tourist group now votes it out?

When you hear somebody say there sure is nothing to do in this damn town for kids or anybody else remember this vote.
keep talking

Campbellsville, KY

#6 Mar 8, 2011
Im so glad this Ahole "dictator" (marrett) with his constant "my way or the highway" philosophy is finally being exposed for just what he is!! keep talking Lebanon. In here its YOUR voice!:)
Ignorance

Campbellsville, KY

#7 Mar 8, 2011
Citizen of Lebanon wrote:
Well it looks like the drunk councilman Abell and power hungry Marret has tricked the city counsil into eliminating the restaurant tax. Lebanon took one step forward when tourism was formed and 8 steps back when they decided to destroy it.
It's just like E-911, EVERY county in the state of KY has it except Lebanon and two other counties out of hundreds in KY.
I'm very disappointed in some of the selfish decisions that our city and county leader make these days.
Anyone intelligent and upstanding with character wouldn't be on here bad mouthing people by name. You may sincerely believe the tourism tax was a good thing; if so you have that right. However, when you say ugly things about others, it seems that your agenda is to throw them in the street. I feel so sorry for everyone who constantly desires to slander others. I can't believe that some people are so self-righteous and cannot see their own faults. Those who don't will fall one day. God says that pride comes before a fall. So those who are so prideful that they cannot see their own faults, your time is coming or may have already come and people just don't know it yet.
Ups and Downs

Elizabethtown, KY

#8 Mar 8, 2011
Obviously this is a big ego battle between Hamilton and Marrett and Marrett seems to have more fire power at this point.
Was the tourism committee set up to improve the quality of life in Lebanon? If that is one of its basic tenets then local events that do not have an admittance fee should have priority because most of the tourism tax is paid by local citizens. Ask the local restaurant owners, they know their customers and some feel bad about their regular customers having to pay the tourism tax over and over.
buddy system

Campbellsville, KY

#9 Mar 8, 2011
If charles mills feels that bad about his regular customers paying the tax then he could simply reduce the price of the food and then kenny marrett wouldnt have to pay so much when he eats at charles's restaurant (chasers) 2 or 3 times a week.
Ups and Downs wrote:
Obviously this is a big ego battle between Hamilton and Marrett and Marrett seems to have more fire power at this point.
Was the tourism committee set up to improve the quality of life in Lebanon? If that is one of its basic tenets then local events that do not have an admittance fee should have priority because most of the tourism tax is paid by local citizens. Ask the local restaurant owners, they know their customers and some feel bad about their regular customers having to pay the tourism tax over and over.
abc123

Clarkson, KY

#10 Mar 8, 2011
The local tourism tax is one tax that stayed in the community where it was generated. I would much rather pay a tax that stays in my community and is not spent in areas that do not have anything to do with me or my life style.
ridiculous

Columbia, KY

#11 Mar 8, 2011
It's just ridiculous that it has come to this. That little tax you pay is 2 cents on every dollar. If you can't afford that you don't need to eat out. $1 for every $50. Whether you like Mr. Hamilton's personality or not is not the point there have been many events brought to town from this little 2 percent tax and Lebanon is going to suffer while other communities around us prosper.
Tourist

United States

#12 Mar 8, 2011
Ignorance wrote:
<quoted text>Anyone intelligent and upstanding with character wouldn't be on here bad mouthing people by name. You may sincerely believe the tourism tax was a good thing; if so you have that right. However, when you say ugly things about others, it seems that your agenda is to throw them in the street. I feel so sorry for everyone who constantly desires to slander others. I can't believe that some people are so self-righteous and cannot see their own faults. Those who don't will fall one day. God says that pride comes before a fall. So those who are so prideful that they cannot see their own faults, your time is coming or may have already come and people just don't know it yet.
It's not slander when it has been recorded in meeting minutes and printed out in the local paper. How can Mr. Marret insinuate this is a useless tax and prepose getting rid of it AFTER he has spent thousands of dollars generated by it. He made a big scene went he left the tourism committee because he didn't like that things were not going in his direction, and now it's led up to this. Why did one of the council members decline to vote at the meeting? Was she afraid the good ol boys would retaliate against her? What about Palagi? Why was an issue as large as this brought up while she's off for maternity? I suspect she would have argued against the king. Dirty politics at it's best.
Tourist

Bowling Green, KY

#13 Mar 8, 2011
buddy system wrote:
<quoted text>If charles mills feels that bad about his regular customers paying the tax then he could simply reduce the price of the food and then kenny marrett wouldnt have to pay so much when he eats at charles's restaurant (chasers) 2 or 3 times a week.
I also remember it was reported in the paper that Kenny Marret has represented Charles Mills at least once during a tourism meeting. Yep, whoever mentioned good ol boys got that right.
Morons

London, KY

#14 Mar 8, 2011
Go time wrote:
Don't worry you little people the King is here to help you whether you need it or not!
Shame on the council. When something ought to be fixed, leaders work to fix it not blow it up. Unless they never wanted to fix it in the first place! The person who received the most from the tourist group now votes it out?
When you hear somebody say there sure is nothing to do in this damn town for kids or anybody else remember this vote.
There was no fixing the tourism commission and as a leader of a community it is your job to be the voice of the majority and not the voice of a few. had the tourism tax been put to a vote for the people of lebanon it would have been struck down that way too.

Let us not forget that kenny was not the only counsil person who voted to abolish the restaurant tax. It was a 5-0 vote and 1 no vote. How did Kenny recieve any money from tourism? Thats right he didnt because he cant. the only person making money off tourism is Chris Hamilton with his almost $50,000 a year salery and asking for a raise at that. Those tourism dollars were spent promoting that quilts on barns bull shit and jets over kentucky that all of 60 people cared to come see.
Go time wrote:
Are you a complete moron? Tourism has nothing to do with babysitting your children at night time because your too lazy to take them anywhere.
Show up

Campbellsville, KY

#15 Mar 8, 2011
ridiculous wrote:
It's just ridiculous that it has come to this. That little tax you pay is 2 cents on every dollar. If you can't afford that you don't need to eat out.$1 for every $50. Whether you like Mr. Hamilton's personality or not is not the point there have been many events brought to town from this little 2 percent tax and Lebanon is going to suffer while other communities around us prosper.
Here's the way I see it. I don't mind paying the tax even though I'm not a tourist.
Here's the deal,"If you are worried about what goes on in Lebanon, start a challenge for your family and friends to show up for the meetings. Numbers are powerful. When people don't show up and express an interest, a council can do just about anything they choose to do whenever. Consitituents who vote are being represented by the elected officials; therefore it's the constiutents job to show up and express their desires based on what is best for the majority and the council is expected to vote accordingly. Remember elected officials are elected by the people and for the people. If people stay at home during the city council meetings, they deserve what they get. Show up and make a difference!!!
tourist2

Columbia, KY

#16 Mar 8, 2011
People came from all over to see those "quilts on barns bull shit and jets over kentucky" from other states even from other countries. One of the major problems with the Commission was the Commission itself when you have Commissioners who won't stand by their executive director and seem to throw him under the bus and instead support a person who obviously has his own agenda and doesn't have the best interest of the public involved you're obivously going to fail. And as far as Mr. Mills I know Mr. Hamilton has brought lots of business to his restaurant including a conference next week. If I were him I think I might change venues since Mr. Mills doesn't think tourism does anything for him.
Sally

Campbellsville, KY

#17 Mar 8, 2011
Perfect name for you Morons as it is appropriate for your opinion.

There was no fixing tourism when the King did not get his way. Correct you are about that one.

Who made the first motion and seconded the motion by Abell? Yup the King. You think this motion was driven by anybody else other than the King? For real? His threat to have it voted out if Chris was not removed shows that this was all on him.

The king did request the money. Both times. I am sure the folks at Maker's mark would disagree with you about how tourists make them money. Yep that is in MC. Didn't know that did you?

That's right I will take the kids and friends out to other communities that have invested tourism $ in fun activities. Yep you are right about that one too.
i was there

Ashburn, VA

#18 Mar 8, 2011
Kenny went to the mayor on Monday and threatened to do away with tourism if Chris Hamilton wasn't fired by 5 pm. The mayor has no authority to fire Chris.
Yesterday it was tourism.
Tomorrow it may be Centre Square.
The next day it may be Economic Development.

And when I looked around, there was no one there for me.
Hometowner

Elizabethtown, KY

#19 Mar 8, 2011
"Morons", you seem to be the only moron on this topic thread. You have been corrected twice now on your incorrect statements but yet you continue to rant, rave and WHINE, like Ole Kenny Marret does. I've heard that several organizations won't work with him anymore because of how he tries to run the show. If it doesn't go his way he either just
throws a fit and quits or he goes around trying to stir up enough people to make a spectacle of himself. Sad Lebanon City Counsil made a big mistake and will wished they had listened to better info before making such a stupid and hasty decision!
Morons wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no fixing the tourism commission and as a leader of a community it is your job to be the voice of the majority and not the voice of a few. had the tourism tax been put to a vote for the people of lebanon it would have been struck down that way too.
Let us not forget that kenny was not the only counsil person who voted to abolish the restaurant tax. It was a 5-0 vote and 1 no vote. How did Kenny recieve any money from tourism? Thats right he didnt because he cant. the only person making money off tourism is Chris Hamilton with his almost $50,000 a year salery and asking for a raise at that. Those tourism dollars were spent promoting that quilts on barns bull shit and jets over kentucky that all of 60 people cared to come see.
<quoted text>
Are you a complete moron? Tourism has nothing to do with babysitting your children at night time because your too lazy to take them anywhere.
buddy system

Campbellsville, KY

#20 Mar 8, 2011
It seems that "morons" stands alone in his opinion so far, so it would make one think that "morons" is probably a close friend or family of marrett. It is rare in the history of this website that a topic comes up on here when you dont see more than one person against everyone else on the other side of the fence. this thing is FAR from over so, the king may be leaving the building once again!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
brandon lee 51 min yepp 1
Charlie furman 4 hr Bree 1
New Hope about to be exposed (Sep '14) 5 hr Heaven hill pimp 6
amanda cox 7 hr black eagle 1
Wilbert and tg 10 hr XXxxGossipxxXX 2
TG Full Time 11 hr trillytrill 3
Lance Tatum in jail $40,000 bond 12 hr Bree 2
More from around the web

Loretto People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE