Black Panther?
Wildlife Expert

Georgetown, KY

#22 Jan 30, 2013
But just so we all know, Black Panthers do not exist period. ;)
Wildlife Expert

Georgetown, KY

#23 Jan 30, 2013
I found a video that goes into better depth explaining what I just tried to explain. And I've come to the conclusion that people who claim to see Black Panthers here in KY either mistaken it for a Black Coyote or a Bobcat who apparently can be black also.
porknbeans

United States

#24 Jan 30, 2013
Wildlife Expert wrote:
There are NO black panthers anywhere in the world. Black Panther is commonly used to describe a Large cat with a melanistic color variant. They are mostly Leopards but can be Tigers and Jaguars. And we all know that NONE of these exist in ky. It is a possibility that they have been released by someone who illegally owned one, or escaped from a zoo, however NONE of these large cats have been seen in KY with normal colors as well.
Melanism is very rare and even when occurring in Leopards the color is not a solid black, and the Leopard spots can still be seen.
Now Kentucky is known to have Mountain Lions and while there are NO authenticated cases of Melanism happening to Mountain lions or Cougars, there is I guess a possibility. But again. No one has ever authenticated this to happen.
More than likely with most creatures this was a case of mistaken identity. It could have been a Black Coyote. Even though they don't look like cats, its possible if seen just for a few seconds that it could have been misidentified.
I have to disagree with you. There are black panthers and they have been seen. People tried to convince locals there were no black bears this far west in Kentucky because they have been seen and photographed. Melanism in jaguars does not apply to these cats. I've seen pictures of black panthers and they were solid black. No mottled color about it. Shiny black like a black domestic cat, only a hell of a lot bigger.

Its not wise to tell people they dif not see what they did see. Makes you not credible and confuses those who saw these big cats to the point of letting their guard down and possibly getting killed. I know what I saw years back. Day time and too clise for comfort.
Wildlife Expert

Clay City, KY

#26 Jan 31, 2013
Oh wow your right! How could I be so stupid. I guess I should throw my degree in biology away. You know, there are also unicorns too. A friend of my cousins friends mothers friend told me she had seen one.
frank tungate

United States

#27 Jan 31, 2013
Mcdonalds is full of cougers
Wildlife Expert

Clay City, KY

#28 Jan 31, 2013
The argument your saying is that black bears didn't exist this far west of Kentucky. Your argument is invalid given that black bears DO exist in nature. Black Panthers DO NOT exist in nature anywhere in the world. When Jaguars, Leopards, and Tigers have a black hue to their skin and tip of their hair its referred to as Melanism, and people call them Black Panthers because of their scientific name.
Jaguar (Panthera onca) Tiger (Panthera tigris) and Leopard (Panthera pardus). Anything other than these cats that are reported as black are known as Cryptids. Meaning, they have never been scientifically proven as a true species. Like Bigfoot, and Loch Ness, which again are probably just a case of mistaken identity.

The problem with people today is you can tell people you saw something and make it believable and they will pass it around that you saw it, and those people they tell will say they know someone who saw it, and eventually everybody has saw it or knows someone who has saw it, and it all began with some stupid scary story.

For instance the house in lebanon with the tree inside of it. People were circulating when I was young that a man lost his wife when she hit the tree so he built a house around that tree. EVERYONE knew of this story and to this day is still be circulating. However the truth behind that story is that it was a civil war hospital, and a bunch of college kids built a movie set there for a school project and put those things in the house as props.

The moral of above story is dont always believe everything people tell you. Science may not know all the secrets out there and that is true. However when it comes to an animal that EVERYONE sees, except for scientist, than you know something is wrong.

Think about it.
Wildlife Expert

Clay City, KY

#29 Jan 31, 2013
Also melanism that occurs in these cats are not always mottled my friend. I said that original markings can SOMETIMES still be seen. I have seen a black Leopard that was completely black. You literally have to get real close to the animal to see the original markings and spots. Tiger stripes can sometimes be completely hidden by the black hue. Did those people you know that seen a black panther get close enough to investigate its skin. I highly doubt it. Panthers that are reported being seen usually was only for a split second and from far away. The chance of you identifying which cat it was unless you know where to look and how, is highly unlikely.
educatedpoorly

United States

#30 Jan 31, 2013
Wildlife Expert wrote:
The argument your saying is that black bears didn't exist this far west of Kentucky. Your argument is invalid given that black bears DO exist in nature. Black Panthers DO NOT exist in nature anywhere in the world. When Jaguars, Leopards, and Tigers have a black hue to their skin and tip of their hair its referred to as Melanism, and people call them Black Panthers because of their scientific name.
Jaguar (Panthera onca) Tiger (Panthera tigris) and Leopard (Panthera pardus). Anything other than these cats that are reported as black are known as Cryptids. Meaning, they have never been scientifically proven as a true species. Like Bigfoot, and Loch Ness, which again are probably just a case of mistaken identity.
The problem with people today is you can tell people you saw something and make it believable and they will pass it around that you saw it, and those people they tell will say they know someone who saw it, and eventually everybody has saw it or knows someone who has saw it, and it all began with some stupid scary story.
For instance the house in lebanon with the tree inside of it. People were circulating when I was young that a man lost his wife when she hit the tree so he built a house around that tree. EVERYONE knew of this story and to this day is still be circulating. However the truth behind that story is that it was a civil war hospital, and a bunch of college kids built a movie set there for a school project and put those things in the house as props.
The moral of above story is dont always believe everything people tell you. Science may not know all the secrets out there and that is true. However when it comes to an animal that EVERYONE sees, except for scientist, than you know something is wrong.
Think about it.
I reiterate what the other person said regarding black bears. And mt. lions. Wildlife "experts" in Kentucky for years disregarded claims of both being in Kentucky past the Rockcastle and adjoining counties. No heresay about it. So called scientists didn't see the Mt. Lions, either. Fish and Game officer has seen one, too. Some of you so called experts apparently have not seen or heard everything. There is a major difference between heresay and what people have actually photographed or video taped. I know what I've seen and you will never tell me I did not see and hear it. Guess you will argue there are no such things as Neanderthal humans, since you haven't seen any. Had a fool argue with me there weren't any boas in the everglsdes, either. Guess we all know how that has gone.
educatedpoorly

United States

#31 Jan 31, 2013
Wildlife Expert wrote:
Oh wow your right! How could I be so stupid. I guess I should throw my degree in biology away. You know, there are also unicorns too. A friend of my cousins friends mothers friend told me she had seen one.
You have a biology degree. Good for you. I know who you are. What I'm saying is people don't take the time to realize people import all kinds of exotic animals and reptiles. A year or so back, a.man was found having several species of rattlesnakes, cobras, a gabboon viper, etc. I never say never, because anything could be in our waterways , forests, or around our homes. I have seen a black panther and I don't really care who disagrees. It wasn't a "black coyote" which I've never seen or heard of. Black wolves, yes and not many of those, either. Who knows what genetics tampering or inbreeding has created?

I KNOW WHAT I SAW.
TheKnow

United States

#32 Jan 31, 2013
Wildlife Expert wrote:
Also melanism that occurs in these cats are not always mottled my friend. I said that original markings can SOMETIMES still be seen. I have seen a black Leopard that was completely black. You literally have to get real close to the animal to see the original markings and spots. Tiger stripes can sometimes be completely hidden by the black hue. Did those people you know that seen a black panther get close enough to investigate its skin. I highly doubt it. Panthers that are reported being seen usually was only for a split second and from far away. The chance of you identifying which cat it was unless you know where to look and how, is highly unlikely.
I seriously doubt people wanted to ask a big cat what its genus is. I wouldn't. I don't think anyone is being disrespectful, but people know what they saw. Discrediting what they saw is bull. There are people who keep lions in one county in this area. Did you know this ? Doubtful. Tigers and other animals were turned loose in a county not far from Lexington a year or so ago. Police and animal control tried to capture all of them, but they did not. THAT was on the news. The owner no longer could afford to feed them so he let them go free.

Rumors are one thing, eyewitnesses and photos substantiating these sightings are another.
johnny appleseed

Elizabethtown, KY

#33 Jan 31, 2013
wildlife expert is not saying you didn't see some type of black cat he is just saying that there is no such thing as one specific animal as being a panther much less a black panther. panther is a reference to a group of large cats such as lions, tigers, leopards, and jaguars. panther is really a derivative of the scientific term panthera. here is some research to prove that this is fact.
Panthera, the feline genus which contains lions, tigers, leopards and jaguars.
Black panther, a black variant of leopard, jaguar or cougar and also

Crypto-Zoological Definition (Broad View)

The term black panther is used for any type of big cat with a black coat. Other than the black leopard and black jaguar, the most commonly accepted view of black panthers, people also use the term black panther for all look-alike all-black versions of a cat species such as the cougar, puma, tiger, bobcat, lynx, jaguarundi, or even a suspected prehistoric survivor – the cave lion.
well anyways yes you did see a black cat but to say that there is a specific animal called a black panther is wrong any cat that is black could be referred to as that, you would have to catch it to really determine what type of cat species it really is
wildlife expert

New Haven, KY

#34 Feb 2, 2013
At least someone is smart enough to read what I said instead of calling me uneducated. And the whole mountain lion and black bear argument is a little off. Fish and wildlife and scientist NEVER said it was impossible. We know people break the law we know people have animals they shouldnt have. What the scientific community was saying is that in science these animals are not known or reported being in that region. But animals do migrate and people do bring in exotics and release them. We actually found a Cayman Crocodile about 4 foot long in a river system. I wont say where but this was in the Western Ky area. Caymans of course are a species that you wont see in the wild here. Doesnt meant they wont be. Now i say black panthers cant be in ky because an actual black panther like Johnny stated does not exist in science. Black Panthers are usually leopards jaguars and tigers. Now we dont say its impossible that these big cats are in kentucky but its never been scientifically proven even in the cats normal colorings nevertheless seen with melanism. Ive never said its not possible. Just very improbable.
My best educated guess is that people have seen a black bobcat. I can tell you for certain that bobcats exist in Ky. And melanism even though rare in bobcats does occur. These cats can get big and people who see these cats may mistake them for the legendary black panther which again does not exist.
rebecca

New Haven, KY

#35 Mar 10, 2013
i lived in bradfordsville about 4 years ago and was driving to work one morning so it was daylight and thought i saw a black calf laying on the side of the road until i saw its tail move up and down and realized that it was a huge black cat!
americanpie

Fort White, FL

#36 Mar 10, 2013
This one time...at band camp...a cat was acting like a panther...and we heard some scratching noises...and in the morning when we woke up.....some kid had died
catman

Bristol, VA

#37 Mar 16, 2013
Finally, an educated and factual answer! There are no black cougars/pumas. Some jaguars in South America have been documented from melanism, about 6%. I like how people see things darting in the night, and can then describe in full detail, as if it were standing at a pose! Choctaw folklore at its best!
Wildlife Expert wrote:
There are NO black panthers anywhere in the world. Black Panther is commonly used to describe a Large cat with a melanistic color variant. They are mostly Leopards but can be Tigers and Jaguars. And we all know that NONE of these exist in ky. It is a possibility that they have been released by someone who illegally owned one, or escaped from a zoo, however NONE of these large cats have been seen in KY with normal colors as well.
Melanism is very rare and even when occurring in Leopards the color is not a solid black, and the Leopard spots can still be seen.
Now Kentucky is known to have Mountain Lions and while there are NO authenticated cases of Melanism happening to Mountain lions or Cougars, there is I guess a possibility. But again. No one has ever authenticated this to happen.
More than likely with most creatures this was a case of mistaken identity. It could have been a Black Coyote. Even though they don't look like cats, its possible if seen just for a few seconds that it could have been misidentified.
Just saying

Coolidge, TX

#38 Apr 3, 2013
About a year ago, a guy in a factory in Springfield told me he really believed he saw a black panther one foggy morning. He said it was in a yard across the field from their plant. This was an older man and he truly believed he saw one. But my way of thinking, if he saw one, it would seem, others would had seen it also and reported it. He said he didn't report it because he didn't want people to think he was crazy.
Jeff Rowe

Greenbrier, AR

#39 Apr 4, 2013
I know there are black panthers around Bradfordsville, I saw Bigfoot dragging one away! Walked right across highway 49, dragging the big cat by its tail.
c-ville

Hodgenville, KY

#40 Apr 6, 2013
No, what I saw was a big BLACK cat. Not the kind people have as pets. Mr wildlife expert you apparently haven't seen one. They are here!
c-ville

Hodgenville, KY

#41 Apr 6, 2013
porknbeans wrote:
<quoted text> I have to disagree with you. There are black panthers and they have been seen. People tried to convince locals there were no black bears this far west in Kentucky because they have been seen and photographed. Melanism in jaguars does not apply to these cats. I've seen pictures of black panthers and they were solid black. No mottled color about it. Shiny black like a black domestic cat, only a hell of a lot bigger.
Its not wise to tell people they dif not see what they did see. Makes you not credible and confuses those who saw these big cats to the point of letting their guard down and possibly getting killed. I know what I saw years back. Day time and too clise for comfort.
I agree!
Danville Man

Bardstown, KY

#42 Jun 5, 2013
When I was 12 years old, a Black Panther climbed a tree that a friend and I climbed every single day. Having seen my friend in that tree over and over, I understood perspective, and I know what size a "kitty cat" should have been, as compared to a human. Besides that, this Black Panther had a DEEP DEEP guttural growl, that wasn't a Meow.

My friend and I had gotten down from the tree to look at something (don't ask me what, I'm 48 now, so I have NO idea). While down, I heard a noise from the tree, like the crackling and popping of bark, being ripped off a tree. When I looked up, I saw what was CLEARLY a HUUUUUGE black panther. You can give it any name you want, but I was 12, and I was with my friend, alone in a forest. Trying to figure out the scientific name of an animal I thought for SURE was going to eat us, didn't come into play at that moment. The Panther and I locked eyes, in what was now, probably the WORST thing I could have done. Having a staring match with something that can eat you, probably not wise.

I remember grabbing my friend, pointing, screaming "RUN", and then took off. We heard a "thump" on the ground behind us, and when I looked back, he was no longer in the tree. On the ground, there was brush surrounding the tree, and it was "moving", so, I didn't ask questions, but continued to run. We made it to a clearing, and it didn't follow us any further.

Honestly, I don't think it was wild, and I don't think it meant us any harm. When I was 12, it was 1977. The Seventies was a time when people thought it would be "FUN" to own Tigers, Lions, and all sorts of wild animals. Many people across the country owned these beautiful animals, and when they got "too big", being idiots, they took them to the country and "let them go". There were problems across the country of people deciding to let their Animals go, and can best now be seen in Florida, where the same thing has occurred all over again, with all sorts of animals. My take is, if it was wild, I would have been food. There is just no way I could outrun the Panther I saw in that tree.

During this same time period, the Danville Advocate Messenger was running articles about "sightings of a Black Panther". Someone locally had gotten plaster castings of paw prints he saw on his property. The sightings almost perfectly coincided with the time frame we saw the Panther. "IF" the sightings have continued, then there had to be 2 of them let go, or it was a female let go, and she had babies. I don't think the animals people are seeing, are there naturally, but because of someone who let "a couple" of them go, and there is a VERY, VERY small population of them, hence the reason there is only a few people who have seen them, like I have. The Seventies was a crazy time, and I promise you, it's to blame for all of this.

There is so much wooded area of Kentucky left, unlike many other States, that I don't think these things will be seen too often, nor will they be caught. Even IF one was caught, it would be dismissed with what was probably the original cause. They will just say, someone probably owned it illegally, and let it go. In the end, the story will be correct, but just from the wrong ERA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brookhaven flat tires 1 hr Nigh Wolf 11
kids throwing rock 1 hr Night Wolf 13
Well poor BrookHaven is getting a facelift 1 hr Night Wolf 4
parents hollering & screaming at their kids 2 hr Night Wolf 4
Well I'm back! 3 hr Mercedes 7
Matthew Othal Turner 6 hr Justcurious1359 1
Matthew Othal turner 6 hr Justcurious1359 1

Loretto Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Loretto Mortgages