First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Springfield mom

Greenbrier, AR

#1 May 3, 2013
Heard there have been a lot of teachers cut this year. Is this true?
Heard it too

Greenbrier, AR

#2 May 3, 2013
I heard that too. What's going on?
welp

Buna, TX

#3 May 5, 2013
Running with scissors?
Warren Buffett

Columbia, SC

#4 May 6, 2013
Apparantly they needed to make these cuts and others so they could pay for the raises the superintendant and other central office employees received.
uno

Leitchfield, KY

#5 May 11, 2013
Who got raises? With job cuts Pol took raises?
Honor student

Harrodsburg, KY

#6 May 15, 2013
The teachers at the high school who got cut should have been. It is sad how lazy and unprepared to teach some of them are. I know of 4 at the high school and all I can say is good riddance, our kids deserve better.
And

Springfield, KY

#7 May 16, 2013
Your point of reference is what??
Disagree

Bumpass, VA

#8 May 16, 2013
My daughter is extremely upset her French and Math teachers are being cut. She has complimented each through out the year of their concern for the students' learning and how much guidance and support they have provided. My daughter has excelled in these 2 classes and I highly credit the teachers for that. I believe they should review the quality of the teachers, and not the tenure. I agree that some teachers NEED to go.
senior student

United States

#9 May 17, 2013
With teacher cuts that means larger classes, making it more difficult for teachers to do there jobs. Children these days are already more difficult to teach. Thinking everything should be given to them and have no consequences for there actions. The disciplinary at the school is a joke!
honor student

Harrodsburg, KY

#10 May 17, 2013
I understand that the class sizes will grow but 4 teachers were cut due to drop in enrollment. Some of the teachers will be replaced. I think they are trying to get better teachers but the problem are the ones who have tenure. Tenure is a joke, if you don't do your job, you should be fired.
Newsflash

Versailles, IN

#11 May 18, 2013
A tenured teacher can be fired...if the principal is doing his job. Word is he wasn't much of a teacher himself. But you being the know it all typical teenage student you may be judged in the same way someday. Teachers were cut due to budget restraints...not enrollment.
Honor student

Harrodsburg, KY

#12 May 18, 2013
It is a very long and expensive process to fire a tentured teacher. By the time the evaluations, reviews, peer panels and hearing are held it would be well into the next school year before a decision to dismiss could be made. Barring a criminal act, it makes firing nearly impossible.
Now onto the enrollment issue, the high school enrollment was down causing 4 positions to be cut. More than 4 were let go but those positions will be replaced with qualified teachers.
It is hard for some to grasp but some teachers do not want to be teaching and they need to be weeded out while it can still be done.
When I attended school teachers were respected and showed pride in there position as educators. Now most of them complain about their jobs and just want to have summers off. Must be nice all other occupations work 12 months a year.
Our kids deserve the best I just wish everyone would realize that.
a day in teachers shoes

Tucker, GA

#13 May 18, 2013
Some of these comments are bullsh*t! The teachers were cut due to state budgets cuts that also affected the school districts! I agree that some of the teachers should not have been cut, but a couple of them were not great teachers that needed to go! And the tenure system can be a joke! I'm tired of teachers getting bad rap bc of a few! There still are teachers that love to teacher but can't bc some parents have raised hoodlems that make classrooms a nightmare! Students think they are ENTITLED to an education and shouldn't have to work for it! It is something earned not given!!!! Also teachers are not "off" during the summer like everyone thinks. Many still put in long hours trying to prepare for next year or go to summer professional development classes!! What about people that work "real" jobs that get 3 or 4 weeks vacation???? Plus most people get to leave their job at quitting time and don't have to think of it again until the next day! Teachers work more than 8-3... Most teachers stay late or take their work home! Nobody has the right to judge until you experience a day in the teachers shoes.... Bet then everyone would have different opinions! Raise better kids then teachers can actually teach and care about their job! It's hard to want to work if no one appreciates you, everybody can relate to that!!!!!!!
Honor Student

Harrodsburg, KY

#14 May 18, 2013
a day in teachers shoes wrote:
Some of these comments are bullsh*t! The teachers were cut due to state budgets cuts that also affected the school districts! I agree that some of the teachers should not have been cut, but a couple of them were not great teachers that needed to go! And the tenure system can be a joke! I'm tired of teachers getting bad rap bc of a few! There still are teachers that love to teacher but can't bc some parents have raised hoodlems that make classrooms a nightmare! Students think they are ENTITLED to an education and shouldn't have to work for it! It is something earned not given!!!! Also teachers are not "off" during the summer like everyone thinks. Many still put in long hours trying to prepare for next year or go to summer professional development classes!! What about people that work "real" jobs that get 3 or 4 weeks vacation???? Plus most people get to leave their job at quitting time and don't have to think of it again until the next day! Teachers work more than 8-3... Most teachers stay late or take their work home! Nobody has the right to judge until you experience a day in the teachers shoes.... Bet then everyone would have different opinions! Raise better kids then teachers can actually teach and care about their job! It's hard to want to work if no one appreciates you, everybody can relate to that!!!!!!!
When they became teachers they knew what the job was going to be. No one is forced into the profession. My children are not the heathens you are speaking of, they are the innocent victims of a flawed system. Under the state system the are entitled to an education therefore the teachers should be able to teach. I have been very out spoken on raising the dropout age to 18. Keep it 16 and let the trouble makers quit. I just get sick of hearing the teachers complaining about their job. At least they have a job. I just think they should have to earn the paycheck.
Newsflash

Versailles, IN

#15 May 19, 2013
Are you there everyday? How much time have you spent in the classroom? There is a lot of external factors a teacher has to deal with as well. I won't even get into that. Not to mention dealing with kids who have a sense of entitlement (sounds like you). The educational budget has been cut to the bare bones. Many teachers don't even have the resources. Every time the BOE mentions raising the tax base a nickel the people go nuts. You try teaching kids who would rather spend their time on the cell phones. Unless you have been there....don't criticize.
teachers voice

Tucker, GA

#16 May 19, 2013
Teachers are greatful of their job and most of them do work extremely hard, especially for those innocent students that are caught in the cross fire. When teachers want to be be teachers they are not aware of the level of disrespect more and more students have, and apparently parents also! Teachers are tired of the public accusing them of not working, just like you "honor student" getting mad about that general comment about hoodlems. I'm sure "a day in teachers shoes" wasn't refering to every student but it is those students that feel like they are entitled without having to earn it that can ruin a classroom without proper system with adequate resources! Students are entitled to an education, but education is LEARNING, and learning doesnt occur without effort! Every profession has its UPS and downs but teachers are mire crucified through the publication eyes than most other professions! Everyone needs to get off their high horse and appreciate the difficult jobs they do every day. I could never be a teacher because I'm sure I would be in jail! They deal with the sugar and the spice of all students! If you have bad customer service from a store you don't go there again, but a teacher cannot just walk away from a student that gives them problems! It's about perspective that most parents forget!
Ironic

Campbellsville, KY

#17 May 28, 2013
Honor student wrote:
The teachers at the high school who got cut should have been. It is sad how lazy and unprepared to teach some of them are. I know of 4 at the high school and all I can say is good riddance, our kids deserve better.
You know of 4 at the high school? There were more than 4 let go at the high school. You say "good riddance" to them because your kids deserve better? How many times did you sit in one of your kids' classes or observe any of these teachers teach? What qualifies you to pass judgement on a teacher's abilities? Is it what your kids tell you? If so, let me give you some advice a teacher friend of mine has given parents...you should believe about half of what your kid says about their teacher...and teachers should believe half of what kids say about their parents.
OMG

Campbellsville, KY

#18 May 28, 2013
Honor student wrote:
It is a very long and expensive process to fire a tentured teacher. By the time the evaluations, reviews, peer panels and hearing are held it would be well into the next school year before a decision to dismiss could be made. Barring a criminal act, it makes firing nearly impossible.
Now onto the enrollment issue, the high school enrollment was down causing 4 positions to be cut. More than 4 were let go but those positions will be replaced with qualified teachers.
It is hard for some to grasp but some teachers do not want to be teaching and they need to be weeded out while it can still be done.
When I attended school teachers were respected and showed pride in there position as educators. Now most of them complain about their jobs and just want to have summers off. Must be nice all other occupations work 12 months a year.
Our kids deserve the best I just wish everyone would realize that.
You do know that TEACHERS DON'T GET PAID FOR SUMMERS, RIGHT. If you want to take an 8 week unpaid vacation, then go ahead.
doo

Lebanon, KY

#19 May 29, 2013
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that TEACHERS DON'T GET PAID FOR SUMMERS, RIGHT. If you want to take an 8 week unpaid vacation, then go ahead.
do u realize how some teachers take many days off during theur teaching time?
Social worker

Campbellsville, KY

#20 May 29, 2013
doo wrote:
<quoted text>do u realize how some teachers take many days off during theur teaching time?
I do realize that teachers get sick days just like most other professions. Teachers are also sent to meetings and workshops during the school year--not their choice by any means. What I don't realize is why has teaching gone from one of the most respected positions to the absolute least?

I have many friends that are teachers and I can tell you I wouldn't do what they do for $100,000 a year, yet the teachers in kentucky average less than $40,000 a year. Their jobs depend on how well a kid performs on a state test, parents think their "angels" are the smartest and best behaved in the class so when something goes wrong, they blame the teachers. I overheard a lady complaining about teachers one day saying her kid had been in 3 different schools and always had problems with teachers. I see only one common denominator in that scenario. Unfortunately, this is the type of selfish and sense of entitlement attitude i also see in my work (social work). I've worked in schools and have seen the disrespect, if not abusive, ways students talk to their teachers and i find it heartbreaking that our society thinks it's okay for kids to speak to any adult in this manner. Yet when parents are called in, the majority responds with something like, "no teacher will disrespect my kid" or "that teacher cant tell my kid what to do". I cringe to think what this country will be like in 10-20 years. I'm not saying there are no bad teachers. There are, but in all honesty and from my experience, they are few and far between. The majority of teachers love their students and genuinely care for them. They work hard to teach them the concepts the state requires. Sometimes to students who want to be anywhere else. For the most part though it's to kids who want to learn and do. Saying all or most teachers are bad is like saying all students are delinquents.

I knew most of the teachers that were cut in Washington County this year. Most of them were wonderful teachers. I also saw what an impact the good ones had on the students. When students cry over teachers leaving, then we know those teachers made a difference.

Teachers in this state have to have a Masters degree in order to keep their license. They make on average around $35,000 and that's after a few years of service. They do not get paid for the summer. instead their paychecks are divided up into 12 months.

Then we see so many budget cuts from the state and federal level that teachers are digging in their pockets to provide the students with basic school supplies. They provide these supplies to the very kids that call them names, sleep in class, get in fights, and those who just don't care.

Something in this society has got to change. We can't keep blaming the teachers. Next we'll blame doctors and nurses if too many people get sick or die, after all it's their job to keep people healthy. Let's blame those people that work in car factories if our cars break down or we wreck them, after all, they made them. Blame farmers if we burn our food or we have an allergic reaction to food, after all they grew it. Blame cops if we go to jail, after all, they arrested us.

Blame everyone, because for goodness sakes, we all know it can never be OUR OWN fault, and we darn sure know it's NEVER the kid's fault.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Krystal Edwards Abrams 4 hr watching 5
Nursing Home 6 hr Spring field CNA 1
Who the blond at corner 14 hr Loretto boy 1
Turn signals 17 hr Yep 2
Old long johns location 17 hr now I know 4
Best Factory and Pay 17 hr Hope 4
Night Wolf Fri TheZman 12

Loretto Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Loretto Mortgages