Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81692 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#88622 Apr 17, 2013
early morning wrote:
I like beans good as anyone but I'm not climbing any pole to get them.
I agree. You would only want to do that if you are wearing a light fall suit. LOL

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88623 Apr 17, 2013
Well, it's been raining a bit. Hope it doesn't get bad!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#88625 Apr 17, 2013
Had quite a thunder storm here earlier. A few claps of thunder around 4:00 a.m. and my dogs where standing up and rattled, the parrot started yelling "hey come here" and "what'cha doin" from the other room, and the cat jumped up on my hip. Eventually I was up and staggering through the dark house to get to the coffee pot... At least the coffee is good this morning and now the birds are awake outside, singing to their hearts content.

I see that there's still no word from Blue. I'm starting to wonder if everything is okay. Maybe he got another job and is on the road. I hope the lack of posting is good news and not a sign that something is wrong.

So how are everyone's gardens doing today? Anne, did you move your beans? I think it's safe to put mine out now. I was waiting to put them out, just in case we got another last blast of winter air. Hopefully we're in the clear now. I did get my potted herbs put out. Glad to have that done. I still have one more 'mater plant to put into the ground and I should be set except for getting a couple rows of corn put out later..

Well, got things to do, so I better get to it. It's garbage day, laundry waits and I have to clean out the chicken coop later today, yuk. But the cast out "poo pile" that has been building outside at the wood line every time I clean it out will be put to good use around the flower beds. It's "cool" enough to use now. Can't use "hot" poo or you'll burn your plant babies up...

I think I'll procrastinate and have one more cup of coffee before I get in gear today. I have SO much to do that I don't even want to think about it, I'll just get overwhelmed by it all. When I get overwhelmed, very little actually gets done... I need a lesson in how to turn mountains into mole hills. I swear I do.

Everyone take care! Chat later!!
banana

United States

#88626 Apr 17, 2013

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#88627 Apr 17, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Lord help the city slickers. I bet they can't even stand the smell of collard greens cooking or would not even eat pole beans grown in chicken doo. LOL I would worry more about the "batty" city slickers than the country folk. Anyone ever heard of a serial killer that lived in the country?
Storm woke me up, empty coffee pot said "get up". No deck work for that old couple today even if the storm ends. I will have to wait for the deck to dry out.
I don't know why I call them an "old" couple. They are younger than me. Perhaps because they are such a helpless a bunch of town dwellers with minimal skills and abilities.
They need help, and you are willing to offer it, as our Creator intended, and that is all that need be said. God Bless you, AW. Lala

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#88628 Apr 17, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Had quite a thunder storm here earlier. A few claps of thunder around 4:00 a.m. and my dogs where standing up and rattled, the parrot started yelling "hey come here" and "what'cha doin" from the other room, and the cat jumped up on my hip. Eventually I was up and staggering through the dark house to get to the coffee pot... At least the coffee is good this morning and now the birds are awake outside, singing to their hearts content.
I see that there's still no word from Blue. I'm starting to wonder if everything is okay. Maybe he got another job and is on the road. I hope the lack of posting is good news and not a sign that something is wrong.
So how are everyone's gardens doing today? Anne, did you move your beans? I think it's safe to put mine out now. I was waiting to put them out, just in case we got another last blast of winter air. Hopefully we're in the clear now. I did get my potted herbs put out. Glad to have that done. I still have one more 'mater plant to put into the ground and I should be set except for getting a couple rows of corn put out later..
Well, got things to do, so I better get to it. It's garbage day, laundry waits and I have to clean out the chicken coop later today, yuk. But the cast out "poo pile" that has been building outside at the wood line every time I clean it out will be put to good use around the flower beds. It's "cool" enough to use now. Can't use "hot" poo or you'll burn your plant babies up...
I think I'll procrastinate and have one more cup of coffee before I get in gear today. I have SO much to do that I don't even want to think about it, I'll just get overwhelmed by it all. When I get overwhelmed, very little actually gets done... I need a lesson in how to turn mountains into mole hills. I swear I do.
Everyone take care! Chat later!!
Horse poo is excellent to use. It doesn't smell as bad as cow poo, and it cools out faster than chicken poo. Try some. It makes excellent natural fertilizer. Our farm has turned a vibrant shade of green....unfortunately, that beautiful color needs to be mowed.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#88629 Apr 17, 2013
Good morning, my fine feathered friends. Today calls for many prayers for those caught in the recent tragic events. Today I heard on the news that an envelope filled with Ricin was sent to one of our Senators. Thankfully, it was intercepted and tested before it could be opened to wreak havoc on the Senator and those around him. Something Evil is afoot, and I hope that it is nipped in the bud vigorously.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88630 Apr 17, 2013
I've been extremely tired today. It's that whole insomnia thing. I debated with myself, about taking a nap and thought "what the heck!" and laid down. That was a mistake. I dozed off, and woke up several times, and now I have a buzzing in my ears. This happens when I get this tire. I WANT to sleep, but my brains won't let me. I think it's going to be a LONG day!
betty

Vine Grove, KY

#88632 Apr 17, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
Lord help the city slickers. I bet they can't even stand the smell of collard greens cooking or would not even eat pole beans grown in chicken doo. LOL I would worry more about the "batty" city slickers than the country folk. Anyone ever heard of a serial killer that lived in the country?
Storm woke me up, empty coffee pot said "get up". No deck work for that old couple today even if the storm ends. I will have to wait for the deck to dry out.
I don't know why I call them an "old" couple. They are younger than me. Perhaps because they are such a helpless a bunch of town dwellers with minimal skills and abilities.
back with my poo!
the old batty country folk ended up being just about the smartest lady i have talked to in a while (in person....and excluding present company of course :)

feel really silly about the whole thing...... but turns out she was just as weary of us as we were of her and her son. said you just never know about ppl any more. we had a nice long talk about how things were then and how they are now.

and oh do i have some garden envy! she has a raised bed style set up she made out of some old troughs that she has all her herbs in. and then every thing else in buckets like im doing. says she used to do the full garden spread but as she got older and couldn't do the upkeep, the container garden took over.

asked her about hauling my plants in and out, and after laughing at my expense for a few minutes, told me i would have a bunch of non producing wussies if i kept it up. hubby got a kick out of that.

think its safe to say we were the batty ones in the end and i guess i should never underestimate who i could learn a thing or two from.

off to put the rest of my peppers in their final big pots. she told me the best thing i can do for them (and the maters) is to pick them up and give them a good shake. says they may grow slower and i may lose a few but the ones who make it will have nice strong stalks and hold the weight of the fruit better. brilliant!

beans and peas have shot up another couple inches over night it seems.
Ancient Wolf

Greenup, KY

#88635 Apr 17, 2013
@Betty.. I never said anything about you packing things in and out, but I thought that was a wasted effort too. Except for my corn field, my stuff is in raised beds also. Then when the corn is about 8 inches to a foot tall, I will come back and plant beans beside the corn and let the vines climb the corn stalk and I dont have to worry about poles for the beans.

I live at the foot of a hill and water was draining down toward the back and side of the house and I dug drainage ditches at the crest of the hill to take the run-off down each side and away from the house, then took landscaped timbers and built up about 18 inches high and about 2 feet out from the house and filled the area with a base of dirt. All winter long I throw egg shells, coffee grounds, and potato peelings on top of the dirt mixed in with chicken poo and chicken poo'd hay from the barn and plant my tomatoes in that fencing it off with chicken wire tacked to my 18 inches of landscape timbers. That keeps the chickens from getting most of my tomatoes and stops the run-off water from going under my house. As the tomato vines grow, I take tin snips and open larger holes in the chicken wire and let the tomato plants grow out through the holes I made. The chickens can still mess up a few of the tomatoes that grow on the outside of the wire, but those inside the wire.... ARE MINE!!! LOL
mid night sandy

AOL

#88636 Apr 17, 2013
dont work too hard grand ole wolfman ,...
you dont wana be taking a dirtnap ,... now
---
relax dude ,....
Ancient Wolf

Greenup, KY

#88637 Apr 17, 2013
mid night sandy wrote:
dont work too hard grand ole wolfman ,...
you dont wana be taking a dirtnap ,... now
---
relax dude ,....
Work keeps one active and keeps the ticker a tickin and I don't even have to go to the gym. I don't understand those that make it a point to park at the front door of Walmart and then have to go to Zumba classes or ride a stationary bicycle when they get home.

After 47 years in a high-tech profession with phones ringing constantly, work is relaxing. But THANKS for your concern.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#88638 Apr 17, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Work keeps one active and keeps the ticker a tickin and I don't even have to go to the gym. I don't understand those that make it a point to park at the front door of Walmart and then have to go to Zumba classes or ride a stationary bicycle when they get home.
After 47 years in a high-tech profession with phones ringing constantly, work is relaxing. But THANKS for your concern.
I second that comment. Same here, except I worked in hospitals. That was high-stress. Ambling around in the countryside is the best rest anyone could have.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#88639 Apr 17, 2013
Now someone sent President Obama a ricin tainted letter. I don't care for his politics, but doing that is a low-down road toward anarchy. what in the heck is going on in the world? I think that many people have finally snapped.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88640 Apr 17, 2013
Oglala wrote:
Now someone sent President Obama a ricin tainted letter. I don't care for his politics, but doing that is a low-down road toward anarchy. what in the heck is going on in the world? I think that many people have finally snapped.
I'm not a cheerleader for the President or anything, but wow! sending him Riacin in the mail?? You gotta have a death wish. That secret service will find whoever did it. Not smart.
The bombings are also sad.
Someone has some real issues and is taking it out on the WRONG people.
It's going to be fast and they will never see daylight again.
betty

Vine Grove, KY

#88641 Apr 17, 2013
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not a cheerleader for the President or anything, but wow! sending him Riacin in the mail?? You gotta have a death wish. That secret service will find whoever did it. Not smart.
The bombings are also sad.
Someone has some real issues and is taking it out on the WRONG people.
It's going to be fast and they will never see daylight again.
i would not see the point in trying to harm the president....soon enough obummer will be on ex-presidential welfare and we will be dealing with another dumb shmuck..... seems like a moot point to me.

but i guess thats what sets us apart from the crazies
betty

Vine Grove, KY

#88642 Apr 17, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
@Betty.. I never said anything about you packing things in and out, but I thought that was a wasted effort too. Except for my corn field, my stuff is in raised beds also. Then when the corn is about 8 inches to a foot tall, I will come back and plant beans beside the corn and let the vines climb the corn stalk and I don't have to worry about poles for the beans.
I live at the foot of a hill and water was draining down toward the back and side of the house and I dug drainage ditches at the crest of the hill to take the run-off down each side and away from the house, then took landscaped timbers and built up about 18 inches high and about 2 feet out from the house and filled the area with a base of dirt. All winter long I throw egg shells, coffee grounds, and potato peelings on top of the dirt mixed in with chicken poo and chicken poo'd hay from the barn and plant my tomatoes in that fencing it off with chicken wire tacked to my 18 inches of landscape timbers. That keeps the chickens from getting most of my tomatoes and stops the run-off water from going under my house. As the tomato vines grow, I take tin snips and open larger holes in the chicken wire and let the tomato plants grow out through the holes I made. The chickens can still mess up a few of the tomatoes that grow on the outside of the wire, but those inside the wire.... ARE MINE!!! LOL
think my biggest problem last year with my container garden is i did not have adequate drainage and that is why my seeds got water logged and floated to the top. i shoved them back down except for the ones that had cracked when they swelled and only half of those ever came up. i also did not add enough organic material to my soil mix and the combination of all that is probably why they did not get going real good till mid may when drought season hit and over watering just could not be a problem anymore.
this year i soaked them for a few hours per your suggestion and i fixed my drainage problem with larger holes and filling the bottom with gravel and packing peanuts.... i think that's why they are doing so well. things that like to be absolutely drowned in water and then dry out at the end (like my cabbages) did really well last year. gee i wonder why...lol

for my organic material i have two five gallon buckets full of a years worth of coffee grounds, leftover leaves from tea bags, fine ground eggshells , ground up leaves and pine needles, and fish meal. going to mix that with my chicken poo and get all my seedlings in their containers tomorrow. guess i will just dump some poo on top of the beans since they are already in their final pot.

that's a really good idea with the corn being the stake for your beans.... i saw a you tube video of a man who was doing that for the first time with his corn and beans but never gave an update on whether it choked out his corn and dampened production which seemed to be his concern. i still have another whole pack of beans i suppose i could try that with..... would also like to compare my container yield to those that grow with the corn.

what do you think about her telling me to give my peppers and tomatoes a good shake? have you ever heard of that one before..... i have always heard that when you transplant its good to rustle the roots or "tickle the roots" as some say to stimulate good root growth but i never thought about jarring them around so they will have nice thick stalks.... if they begin to droop or are a little leggy i have orchid holders i clip on them and that tends to keep my maters off the ground.

yep over obsessing again..... guess i should just put them in their pots and let them do their thing. probably the best thing that happened to my garden last year was my knee getting hurt and me not being able to hover over it all like a mama hen.
betty

Vine Grove, KY

#88643 Apr 17, 2013
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#88644 Apr 18, 2013
@Betty.. I had never heard of shaking plants to make them stouter. I have shook potato vines to loosen potato bugs for the chickens to eat. I don't buy dust or chemicals, but try to do everythng natural.

I am sure the tomato vines get some movement when I feed them out through my chicken wires. Last year my tomato plants grew about 5 feet tall. I had plenty for BLTs and if the chickens pecked holes in the green ones, I cut out the part they messed over and had Fried Green tomatoes. So even the ones they pecked were not a total waste.

In the fall, I individually wrapped green tomatoes in brown paper bags and put them in the dark in the laundry room closet and I had tomatoes all the way through until past Thanksgiving.

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#88645 Apr 18, 2013
So much sad stuff has happened so often. It makes you realize what's really important to You.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dollar tree 12 min Clay county king 2
Lydia roller 1 hr I know 4
Hepatitis C in Marion county 3 hr What 3
Heather Hale 6 hr Thatgurl 3
3rd shift walmart 6 hr lookin 7
brandy meredith 12 hr how 10
Grundy Home Road 13 hr Unknown 1

Loretto Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Loretto Mortgages