WCHS Boys Basketball Program

Posted in the Loretto Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Curious

Hodgenville, KY

#1 Apr 23, 2013
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the current boys basketball program at the high school? Seems to me that when a program has a 22-88 record after 4 years, something should be done. Is it right that the principal keep the coaching staff that he is good friends with? You would think the school and athletic department would want to improve the program and fill the gym and make money.
bleacherbum

Henderson, TN

#2 Apr 27, 2013
There is nothing going to be done. Sports.is not a priority with the superintendent. Parents will tell you their kids don't like playing for him. I feel bad for his boy. He looks miserable playing. Terrell is going to take care of number one. Is it right? Not when you look at what has happened to other coaches in the past. But there is no talent to mention either. Parents think there is. Something needs to give.
education first

Springfield, KY

#3 May 3, 2013
Sports should not be a priority with the superintendent! Her job is to educate our children. That is the problem with sports in the first place, people want to put it above everything. Let the kids play and have fun but let it end. If you play a sport it should not be a life sentence. The children are worn out. They jump from sport to sport without a break. In some cases they have two sports going on at the same time and have to juggle that with school work. Education should come firt.
Agree

Lexington, KY

#4 May 3, 2013
education first wrote:
Sports should not be a priority with the superintendent! Her job is to educate our children. That is the problem with sports in the first place, people want to put it above everything. Let the kids play and have fun but let it end. If you play a sport it should not be a life sentence. The children are worn out. They jump from sport to sport without a break. In some cases they have two sports going on at the same time and have to juggle that with school work. Education should come firt.
Couldn't have said it better. I played sports but school came first. This cost me some playing time and never was as good as could have been but now that it's 6 years later I have college education that reciever for free because of acedemics scholarships and make more than twice as much money of most the starting five. Most kids get a false hope from atheletics because they believe that being the best athelete will take them places then after graduation they realize that they're not even good enough to play at a junior college and floated through high school without getting an education and now can't get into college. This isn't always the case but I see it happen often.
Good

United States

#5 May 3, 2013
She does a great job. She cares a out education and sports. The schools principals are then ones that hire the coaches. As a parent, proud of WC. We've come a long way and we don't want the border problems that MC has right now.
horace cox

Springfield, KY

#6 May 3, 2013
I agree with GOOD , What in the hell does burkhead offer from an education standpoint ,Nothing is he a great rolemodel HELL NO . Does he stress hard work in theclassroom NO . MRS COCRAN does a gerat job but our basketball coach needs to go.
Curious

Hodgenville, KY

#7 May 3, 2013
I agree Mrs. Cochran has done a great job and education should be a first priority. But when the coach doesn't push education, which Burkhead doesn't, not good for his players. And he is not a good role model. Players don't enjoying playing for him, they play because they love basketball. Any coach in the past with a record of 22-88 would have been gone a long time ago. There have been basketball coaches let go with better records. College coaches are getting fired for some of the same behavior that Burkhead has done. I agree Horace cox, he needs to go.
To old to play

Pikeville, KY

#8 May 7, 2013
Mrs Cochran knocks down about 110 K a year . BB coach makes about 5 k . Now who needs to go ?
Yours

United States

#9 May 7, 2013
Huh ? She don't control the coaches. Duh.
Curious

Hodgenville, KY

#10 May 7, 2013
The principle, Paul Terrell decides if a coach stays or goes. And guess who are very good friends, Russell Burkhead and Paul Terrell. So Burkhead will probably never go. Just sad that friendship decides what is best for the boys and the athletic program. Again, the school system should want a program that fills the gym and makes the school some money to purchase things for the athletic programs. I guess they don't!!
Stupid

Campbellsville, KY

#11 May 7, 2013
To old to play wrote:
Mrs Cochran knocks down about 110 K a year . BB coach makes about 5 k . Now who needs to go ?
Mrs Cochran is one of the best super intendants I've ever seen and I wouldn't consider trying to do her job even for that amount of money. In my opinion 5k is to much for a coach. Especially the one we have. The school system would be just fine without Burkhead but you couldn't get by without Cochran.
LOL

Richmond, KY

#12 May 8, 2013
Learn to spell stupid.
Stupid

Campbellsville, KY

#13 May 8, 2013
LOL wrote:
Learn to spell stupid.
Sorry I made two grammatical errors. I didn't realize I was writing for the herald leader. I think you were able to get the point.
Kids

Lebanon, KY

#14 May 16, 2013
There are several kids that are not playing next year because of Russell. Flipper has been trying to get more kids to come out, but they are not going to play for Russell. Everyone likes Flipper pretty much, but not enough to put up with Russell.
A joke

Franklin, KY

#15 Oct 15, 2013
WC sports are a joke as a whole! They wanna hire all these local guys that aren't worth the hair on there a$$ and complain when the football team goes 0-10 and the basketball team goes 0-30. The facts are you have to go out of the county to find a successful coach. Not hire your best friends. Til then enjoy several losing seasons. And for the record burkhead couldn't coach the dream team to a win! He should try coaching his head outa his a$$.
Really

New Salisbury, IN

#16 Oct 16, 2013
Well practice hasn't even started and the raggin on Burkhead has started. Terrell should do what's best for the kids. It aint going to happen. Hearing a lot of kids aren't playing this year. If this had been anybody else....especially an outsider..they would have been gone a long time ago. WC isn't kind to outsiders. Outsiders have a different set of rules to abide by. But I do doubt even with a new coach instant success isn't going to happen...there really is no talent and doesn't look like any is coming real soon.
True

Franklin, KY

#17 Oct 16, 2013
That whole school has ZERO talent in any sport! I feel bad for the kids, they will never know what it's like to win in anything simply because the coaches all through that school don't give a sh**. All any of those coaches want is their name in the newspaper.
Loser

Springfield, KY

#18 Oct 17, 2013
The season hasn't started and the naysayers are out. They may win a few more games this year but probably not many. There doesnn't seem to be much talent coming though.
Dont see it

United States

#19 Oct 17, 2013
I don't see them winning anymore than last year. They are not very good.
Student

United States

#20 Oct 30, 2013
It's not burkheads job to enforce the education? I don't think anyone on here could do any better. He's a hell of a coach and pushes the players. Can't do anything with the parents acting like idiots and complaining about every move he makes. If you Dont like it, Dont play or Dont let your kid play , simple .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loretto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dawn Vick 2 hr dixie normous 15
I wish the feds would stop deleting threads. 4 hr Huffalump 2
Cornucopia Nudist in the 1970's-80's? (Jan '10) 4 hr Shell 29
Springfield police failing!!! 14 hr New guy in the city 15
hvac 17 hr looking 1
tg hire on 17 hr mOd 4
Haydon Brothers Contracting (Mar '10) 18 hr Big Man 132
Loretto Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web