Innocent Man's Life Destroyed by Anonymous Topix Poster - ABC News

Mar 26, 2012 Full story: abcnews.go.com 971

Stookey went to work but discovered unmasking anonymous Internet posters wasn't easy. Then he learned of the one key piece of information he needed: the Internet Protocol (IP) address, a unique fingerprint left by every device that accesses the Internet.

"Once you get the IP address, you can go to your telephone companies and say, 'Give me the telephone number it comes back to, along with the name and address of the person who owns that telephone number,'" Stookey said.

Full Story
First Prev
of 49
Next Last

“He11 Raiser”

Since: Feb 12

<><>()<><>()<><>()<><>

#2 Mar 27, 2012
You people are just big kids playing a game.Pathetic!
1 post removed
Floridian

Orlando, FL

#4 Apr 6, 2012
Can I get some money for Slowpok trying to skin me?
1 post removed
mommy2

Welch, WV

#6 Apr 6, 2012
I would like to know how to track a IP address so I can press charges against the person who is trying to destroy my son who is a senior in high school, reputation.. They are spreading lies all over Topix about him and his 16 yr old girlfriend. He is a good Christian boy and I want this to stop now...
1 post removed
horserider

Brenton, WV

#8 Apr 11, 2012
I would like to know how you track a ip address any information would be helpful
2 posts removed
Gulfpost

Panama City, FL

#11 Apr 11, 2012
mommy2 wrote:
I would like to know how to track a IP address so I can press charges against the person who is trying to destroy my son who is a senior in high school, reputation.. They are spreading lies all over Topix about him and his 16 yr old girlfriend. He is a good Christian boy and I want this to stop now...
Alledgly, You have to get a good attorney that will subpeona Topix to get IP addresses of the posters. Then, when you have that address, you get with the internet service provider of that person and they will give you the names and addresses of the individual. It can't be done without a court order. At least, this is my understanding from the 20/20 interview that was aired about this kind of story. Good luck.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#12 Apr 11, 2012
mommy2 wrote:
Go to the ACOG website www.cleanandopen.org

Look under the Norman Cooper is exposed.

Look at the Documents at the botton of the page:
David Hopkins vs Norman Cooper/NGN

Then Check out: Complaint Exhibit One

You can do it yourself.

www.cleanandopen.org

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#13 Apr 11, 2012
P.S. Once you get the IP address you have to file papers with the Internet Server.

But you might want to check with a lawyer for help.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14 Apr 11, 2012
Gulfpost wrote:
<quoted text>
Alledgly, You have to get a good attorney that will subpeona Topix to get IP addresses of the posters. Then, when you have that address, you get with the internet service provider of that person and they will give you the names and addresses of the individual. It can't be done without a court order. At least, this is my understanding from the 20/20 interview that was aired about this kind of story. Good luck.
Thank you VERY much for that information.
1 post removed
true

Oceana, WV

#16 Apr 12, 2012
mommy2 wrote:
the posthas been removed let it go befor it starts again.
check it out

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#17 Apr 13, 2012
People shouldn't get their hopes up about tracking down someone's IEP address and identifying some troll. Topix is very protective of their posters. It's easier to get Topix to remove the offender than to get them to give you the IEP address. And rightfully so. You would need a good attorney and a lot of tIme and money to identify the offending party. It could drag through the courts for years and cost you tens of thousands of dollars. But most of all you'd need really good evidence for your case. Someone calling you names and saying they're going to wipe up the floor with your dead body or similar threats aren't enough. There are so many laws in place that make it tough to force topix or internet providers to reveal the info that your chances are slim to none of getting that info. So what I'm saying is, "it ain't as easy as you think." The other thing you should be aware of is that there are software programs you can get that show different IEP locations. I don't know if many people use them on this forum, but I know there are some forums where a poster can post under different names and locations and others don't know it's really one person.

Location hidden

#18 Apr 13, 2012
check it out wrote:
People shouldn't get their hopes up about tracking down someone's IEP address and identifying some troll. Topix is very protective of their posters. It's easier to get Topix to remove the offender than to get them to give you the IEP address. And rightfully so. You would need a good attorney and a lot of tIme and money to identify the offending party. It could drag through the courts for years and cost you tens of thousands of dollars. But most of all you'd need really good evidence for your case. Someone calling you names and saying they're going to wipe up the floor with your dead body or similar threats aren't enough. There are so many laws in place that make it tough to force topix or internet providers to reveal the info that your chances are slim to none of getting that info. So what I'm saying is, "it ain't as easy as you think." The other thing you should be aware of is that there are software programs you can get that show different IEP locations. I don't know if many people use them on this forum, but I know there are some forums where a poster can post under different names and locations and others don't know it's really one person.
I believe the OP was speaking of libelous posts.not just name calling.When someone posts a lie,for example.that another poster molested their step daughter,that is libel.That can easily be prosecuted.
check it out

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#19 Apr 13, 2012
Hucks Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the OP was speaking of libelous posts.not just name calling.When someone posts a lie,for example.that another poster molested their step daughter,that is libel.That can easily be prosecuted.
It can NOT be EASILY prosecuted. People post on here all the time with things that can be considered libelous. I stand by what I say. It is a very difficult, long drawn out process that is not cheap or easy. Do some in depth research on these Topix cases and I think you'll come to that same conclusion. I've been researching this for a couple of years. I would appreciate it if you could cite some cases for me where it was easy. I'm not challenging you, I am sincerely interested.

Location hidden

#20 Apr 13, 2012
I meant it can easily be proven.I just saw this thread yesterday and when I have time,I'm going to do some research. It stands to reason that if someone goes as far as to libel another poster,they should be prosecuted. Only an evil and mentally ill person would libel someone. They need to be punished by the law.
3 posts removed
citizenx

Oceana, WV

#24 Apr 22, 2012
wow what a story
Pepper

United States

#25 Jun 12, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/paintsville-k...
I am constantly getting banned along with the Colonel and Unreal.
This poster has verbally abused every woman that does not kiss his azz. He has stalked, harrassed, and went as far as to post jokes and make fun of my mentally disabled daughter. This went on for over a week.
Numerous reports were sent in. My friends and I were banned.
Picturrs from my fb were posted on topix of myself, my month old grandaughter and my mentally disabled daughter with heart breaking comments about her looks.
Now I am banned again and still being stalked and tortured.
Tom Pappas

Anonymous Proxy

#26 Jun 12, 2013
Pepper wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/cit y/paintsville-ky/TBJGR49SELR3U QKCV/post6118
I am constantly getting banned along with the Colonel and Unreal.
This poster has verbally abused every woman that does not kiss his azz. He has stalked, harrassed, and went as far as to post jokes and make fun of my mentally disabled daughter. This went on for over a week.
Numerous reports were sent in. My friends and I were banned.
Picturrs from my fb were posted on topix of myself, my month old grandaughter and my mentally disabled daughter with heart breaking comments about her looks.
Now I am banned again and still being stalked and tortured.
natty sure does think a lot of himself.
too bad no one else does.
cyber bullying laws

Oceana, WV

#27 Jun 12, 2013
check it out wrote:
<quoted text> It can NOT be EASILY prosecuted. People post on here all the time with things that can be considered libelous. I stand by what I say. It is a very difficult, long drawn out process that is not cheap or easy. Do some in depth research on these Topix cases and I think you'll come to that same conclusion. I've been researching this for a couple of years. I would appreciate it if you could cite some cases for me where it was easy. I'm not challenging you, I am sincerely interested.
They have got you scared ain't they :)
I bet you wished you hadn't posted that stuff about them . hehehe !!! Your a$$ is grass !! suck it up butter cup !!!:D
There are new cyber bullying laws that are prosecuted a lot swifter then the old defamation ,libel and slander laws. Some heads are going to roll .

Since: Mar 13

Marietta, OH

#28 Jun 13, 2013
Nat is making up for lacking in other parts of his life.

It was so fun to watch him melt down after they banned his precious Alan S account. He's still melting down.

Since: Mar 13

Marietta, OH

#29 Jun 13, 2013
And for people who call others names for reporting, they sure do report a lot.

Can't really say I'm surprised by the hypocrisy.
yodell

United States

#30 Jun 13, 2013
Trollen ,trollen,trollen ,such a nice day in pal. ILL. :S

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 49
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lorado Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word game (Jun '12) 3 hr Analog man 738
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 3 hr Analog man 8,427
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 3 hr Analog man 2,209
should crossbows be legal in WV (Oct '09) Sat Bill Williams 21
Word Association... (Jun '12) Sat Analog man 1,339
Names A-Z (Aug '13) Fri _Zoey_ 183
People of Lorado Nov '14 seekerofthetruth 2
Lorado Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web