Hamilton County Pioneers - the Ruohs ...

Hamilton County Pioneers - the Ruohs Family

There are 3 comments on the Chattanoogan.com story from Aug 27, 2007, titled Hamilton County Pioneers - the Ruohs Family. In it, Chattanoogan.com reports that:

“It's no use your lying about it for I've seen Col. Ruohs myself since you have, and he never said anything about having a lengthy conversation with you.”

He made his own coffins and prepared the bodies, and his wife assisted with the business. via Chattanoogan.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chattanoogan.com.

Karen Ruohs Jarnagin Ray

Spring Hill, TN

#1 Feb 8, 2008
My husband returned from a geneaology class and talked about how interesting it was. I have always been fascinated with Chattanooga and my family history there. I currently live in Nashville, but make pilgrimages to Chattanooga. I decided to do a Google search for "Ruohs" (which is my middle name) and found this article.....WOW! My father is the last Jarnagin (his father was Joseph Ruohs Jarnagin) son alive and we have quite a bit of the furniture that was made by my great great grandfather. They also have a picture of Aunt Nanny (Nancy Harriet) hanging on the wall next to a secretary built by Joseph Ruohs. I sent your column to my father and it made his day. He also said my Grandmother would have loved it. Dad was born on Signal Mountain and was the youngest of the Jarnagin boys. Dad has a treasure trove of Jarnagin and Ruohs memorabilia including letters from Switzerland which Joseph Ruohs had written home to his wife. Thank you so much for such a personal glimpse into our family history. It is just more proof of why I carry the names of Ruohs and Jarnagin so very proudly! At one point in college I tried to get everyone to start calling me Ruohs, but it didn't last long. It was too hard for everyone. My husband's middle name is Clark and when we travel the Tennessee backroads I refer to us as "Ruohs and Clark"....

Sincerely,

Karen Ruohs Jarnagin Ray
Pam Jarnagin Farmer

Fayetteville, NC

#2 Mar 13, 2014
Trying to locate Karen.
Karen Ruohs Jarnagin Ray wrote:
My husband returned from a geneaology class and talked about how interesting it was. I have always been fascinated with Chattanooga and my family history there. I currently live in Nashville, but make pilgrimages to Chattanooga. I decided to do a Google search for "Ruohs" (which is my middle name) and found this article.....WOW! My father is the last Jarnagin (his father was Joseph Ruohs Jarnagin) son alive and we have quite a bit of the furniture that was made by my great great grandfather. They also have a picture of Aunt Nanny (Nancy Harriet) hanging on the wall next to a secretary built by Joseph Ruohs. I sent your column to my father and it made his day. He also said my Grandmother would have loved it. Dad was born on Signal Mountain and was the youngest of the Jarnagin boys. Dad has a treasure trove of Jarnagin and Ruohs memorabilia including letters from Switzerland which Joseph Ruohs had written home to his wife. Thank you so much for such a personal glimpse into our family history. It is just more proof of why I carry the names of Ruohs and Jarnagin so very proudly! At one point in college I tried to get everyone to start calling me Ruohs, but it didn't last long. It was too hard for everyone. My husband's middle name is Clark and when we travel the Tennessee backroads I refer to us as "Ruohs and Clark"....
Sincerely,
Karen Ruohs Jarnagin Ray
Pam Jarnagin Farmer

Rocky Mount, NC

#3 Sep 1, 2014
Pam Jarnagin Farmer wrote:
Trying to locate Karen.<quoted text>
Spencer Joseph Jarnagin is the grandson who lives in Wilmington and my brother.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lookout Mountain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for couple to swing 4 hr Maygirl0523 3
News Marion Co. Sheriff's Department arrest 28 peopl... 11 hr Cottontop 2
Baby daddy 19 hr Destiny 3
Bisexual men with girlfriends (Aug '13) 23 hr Tolerman 18
Swingers club (Apr '14) Tue LunaLlena 35
Short story the couple everyone loves Tue Mr Ego 2
Where are the prostitutes? (Feb '11) Tue Lucky 30

Lookout Mountain Jobs

Personal Finance

Lookout Mountain Mortgages