Guns in Not All Tennessee Parks

Guns in Not All Tennessee Parks

There are 13 comments on the WTVC Chattanooga story from Sep 7, 2009, titled Guns in Not All Tennessee Parks. In it, WTVC Chattanooga reports that:

About 70 cities have opted out of a new law permitting handguns in parks. However, gun-rights groups say they will press lawmakers to take the matter out of local governments' hands unless they reconsider.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVC Chattanooga.

Common sense

Augusta, GA

#1 Sep 8, 2009
Most of the places in TN do not meet the sign requirements to keep permit holders from carrying in any public place. I will be glad when lawmakers fix the mess they made to get this law to pass by taking out the opt out clause.
abtsr

Cleveland, TN

#2 Sep 17, 2009
It's time to remove this opt out option!!

Ask you TV reporter when he/she covers a shooting in the Chattanooga area, did the bad guy have a carry permit?

In how many shootings this year state wide, did the felony shooter have a current carry permit? Anyone know?
j lo

Chickamauga, GA

#3 Jul 1, 2010
Common sense wrote:
Most of the places in TN do not meet the sign requirements to keep permit holders from carrying in any public place. I will be glad when lawmakers fix the mess they made to get this law to pass by taking out the opt out clause.
If it is state, federal or school property.Do NOT carry your weapon on to it.Permit or otherwise.Some state parks are diffrent.Case and lock check before you do.You can goggle the park to see their requirments
Omega Man

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 2, 2010
Obama signed into law the ok to carry in Federal parks. Federal law on schools was overturned, however state law applies. As long as the firearm remains in the vehicle locked up and you do not allow anyone to handle it the firearm can be on school property. State parks do not have the option to opt out, only city and county parks. Read the law.
Big White Boss

Humboldt, TN

#5 Jul 2, 2010
Bull, There is five to ten guns in every park I go to. Every time. Rather be in jail for killing someone than see my family hurt. Armed and loaded. The guns loaded, not me. I will pull the trigger.
give me a break

Huntsville, TN

#6 Jul 3, 2010
anyone carrying a weapon with intent to do harm doesn't care about the law.I say we should carry our guns whereever we are. The Constitution of this great country says that we all have the right to keep and BEAR arms. It is clear,there is nothing difficult about it.
As for federal and state laws,Federal supersedes state.
Oh geez

Chattanooga, TN

#7 Oct 12, 2010
the amendment does not give EVERY crack pot like you the right to bear arms...it states we can have a militia. Are you in a militia because if you are I want out. I do not want to enter a state park or otherwise that allows someone to carry a firearm.
Blah

Smyrna, TN

#8 Oct 12, 2010
It must be sad for you nut cases to live your life in so much fear that you cower and feel compelled to carry a firearm everywhere you go. In this day and age yes there are times self protection as a precaution is warranted but a day in the park with your family or on school grounds are not some of them and neither is any place that serves alcohol.

As for the criminal element, I say if you are caught in possession of a gun and shouldn't be or if you use one in the commission of a crime you should have a mandatory sentence of no less then 10 years with no parole just for the gun violation on top of whatever other charges may apply in the case.
If society can be fine with a zero tolerance policy for something like a kid bringing aspirin or toe nail clippers to school then we should have the same zero tolerance towards people and guns since they are among the most lethal things available to the general public.
Redcap

AOL

#9 Oct 13, 2010
I don't want to run anybody's business, but it seems it would be better to let folks carry that smoke wagon into all the parks. Better to have it and not need it as need it and not have it.
Redcap

AOL

#10 Oct 13, 2010
Oh geez wrote:
the amendment does not give EVERY crack pot like you the right to bear arms...it states we can have a militia. Are you in a militia because if you are I want out. I do not want to enter a state park or otherwise that allows someone to carry a firearm.
I gotta' differ with you on your grasp of constitutional intent, and I gotta' admit it might be better to let you boycott the parks as deny decent people some protections.

“Why not”

Since: Feb 09

Mine

#11 Oct 13, 2010
i does carry mine 9 wer evr wez goes
Big White Boss

Humboldt, TN

#12 Oct 13, 2010
My guns are with me everywhere I go, that the law allows. I won't shoot anyone unless they threaten my family or my friends. Don't ever threaten the elderly or children. Don't push your luck. I shoot to kill, when necessary. I am a great shot.
Mari Cone

Nashville, TN

#13 Oct 18, 2010
Morons who live in a paranoia induced fantasy land carrying guns around in public? Sounds GREAT! Like this Dirty Harry tough guy in the above posting. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he can't operate a car within the parameters set fourth by the law, has a sub 100 IQ and considers himself a great American. By all means, let him pack heat in public- what a great idea.

I took the carry class and am now "licensed". What I saw in those classes was infinitely more scary than ANYTHING reported by the media.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lookout Mountain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 16 Known Dead From Storms In Tennessee (Apr '11) 30 min Julia 36,352
News 100,000 veterans face long waits to see VA doctors (Jun '14) 3 hr Mister Jeremy 3
Married m for married f 13 hr Nineincheslong 14
Look at me I like attention & my loser ex is crazy 13 hr Nineincheslong 5
Fb rant turned into an intervention 13 hr Nineincheslong 4
Don't be a hater 14 hr Nineincheslong 1
Chattanooga Land Design, James Eaton 17 hr ChasBarnesTB 1

Lookout Mountain Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Lookout Mountain Mortgages