Minnesota Supreme Court says Lonsdale couple not liable for inj...

Full story: TwinCities.com

A homeowner does not have a duty to screw an empty bookcase to the wall to prevent it from tipping over, because it was not "reasonably foreseeable" that a 3-year-old would injure himself by trying to climb it, the Minnesota Supreme Court has ruled.
Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated May 17, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Puppet At State Fair”

Since: Mar 09

Nowthen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Judged:

Incredible wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bet on it...we just started a 4-year journey of entitlement the likes of which we have never seen...
And you get nothing. What a shame.
Gndydncr

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

just me wrote:
<quoted text>I believe the article said the father sued.. not the mother.
Good call.
NoDoubt

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Incredible wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bet on it...we just started a 4-year journey of entitlement the likes of which we have never seen...
The one big problem with your direction of thinking, this happened under a Democratic administration!
Football Fool

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Page continues to amaze me with his moronic decision making.
Gndydncr

Fargo, ND

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Football Fool wrote:
Page continues to amaze me with his moronic decision making.
How do we impeach a supreme court justice (or injustice)?
Heetcpa

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

This happened to my son when he was about 4. My bookcase was more like a very heavy stereo cabinet/bookcase, with the stereo and other heavy items in it. It fell on my son when he climbed it and broke his leg. I was very fortunate because half of it landed on the arm of a sofa first, then sort of rolled over onto him. If the sofa had not been there, I believed it could have killed him! I never thought about that possibility until I saw it happen first.
Heetcpa

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Oh yeah, and I thought about sueing my wife and other children, but thought better of it. I knew it wasn't my fault :)
Whatever

Lincoln, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

And so, they're supposed attach a bookcase to the wall immediately upon moving in case your little brat comes over and climbs on their stuff? Sounds like you should have been watching him.
heebeejeebee

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

That's it! Everyone who enters my house has to sign a waiver!
juanpablo

Broomfield, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Judged:

The homeowner ought to sue the Foss family for the mental trauma they have caused...after all, they have to look at that bookcase every day now
Incredible

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Judged:

NoDoubt wrote:
<quoted text>
The one big problem with your direction of thinking, this happened under a Democratic administration!
Great catch, genius! Now that you gave your history lesson, perhaps you can read that I replying to another persons comment. I never claimed it was a Democrat issue...just that the current administration is very much supporting a lack of personal responsibility and an increase in the entitlement mentality.

“Here I come to save the Day!”

Since: Jan 09

Gothem city

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

abc wrote:
I thought the fact that the parents were friends was pretty interesting also. AND moving into a new place/unpacking, etc. Jeez! Close personal friends... yeah, let's sue them!
Uff dah.
You do understand they were suing their insurance company not them. Although a lame claim which I am glad was ruled correctly.
Jesse M

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Grandmaster G wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand they were suing their insurance company not them. Although a lame claim which I am glad was ruled correctly.
Since I pay for my insurance coverage, they are suing me and collecting through my insurance company. If this is because my insurance wouldn't pay medical bills I would stand next to them in court. If it is because they are claiming negligence on my part (in this situation), they using the system for a pay day. And they are doing it at my expense since my insurance company would then be raising my premiums.

It was said earlier, way to take responsibility and be a friend.

“Puppet At State Fair”

Since: Mar 09

Nowthen, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Judged:

Gndydncr wrote:
<quoted text>
How do we impeach a supreme court justice (or injustice)?
I say just your opinion should be enough to do it, as you are such a recognized leader in the confederacy of dunces.
Natasha Badanaff

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

Incredible wrote:
<quoted text>
Great catch, genius! Now that you gave your history lesson, perhaps you can read that I replying to another persons comment. I never claimed it was a Democrat issue...just that the current administration is very much supporting a lack of personal responsibility and an increase in the entitlement mentality.
Facts please?

“Here I come to save the Day!”

Since: Jan 09

Gothem city

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

Jesse M wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I pay for my insurance coverage, they are suing me and collecting through my insurance company. If this is because my insurance wouldn't pay medical bills I would stand next to them in court. If it is because they are claiming negligence on my part (in this situation), they using the system for a pay day. And they are doing it at my expense since my insurance company would then be raising my premiums.
It was said earlier, way to take responsibility and be a friend.
Jesse,
It you are playing frisbee in your best friends back yard, you trip in a gopher hole and break your leg, needing surgery and you miss a month of work. Do you take responsibility and be a friend or do you sue his insurance company.
Insurance is for a reason. Not to be abused but to be used when needed.
Jesse M

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2009

Grandmaster G wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesse,
It you are playing frisbee in your best friends back yard, you trip in a gopher hole and break your leg, needing surgery and you miss a month of work. Do you take responsibility and be a friend or do you sue his insurance company.
Insurance is for a reason. Not to be abused but to be used when needed.
I agree with you 100%. And like I said, if it were my friend fighting my insurance company I would be sitting right next to him in the court room. Now, if said friend was playing frisbee blind folded will drinking in my backyard while I was in the house, then sued on the basis that I was negligent. That is, in my opinion, abusing insurance.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Lonsdale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Lonsdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••