State alleges Longwood company violat...

State alleges Longwood company violated "Do Not Call" law -- Or...

There are 9 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Sep 6, 2007, titled State alleges Longwood company violated "Do Not Call" law -- Or.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Florida Agriculture and Consumer Services Commissioner Charles H. Bronson today announced that he has taken legal action against a Central Florida company for violating Florida's "Do Not Call" law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

FedUp

Bethpage, NY

#1 Sep 6, 2007
just wondering....

"Bronson's department has collected or obtained judgments of more than $1.5 million against companies that have called residents on the list, and several such legal actions are pending in courts throughout the state."

do the residents get the fines as they are the injured party or is this just one more case of passing laws just to have a hammer to pound on folks.

seems to me the guy whose dinner was interrupted should get the money not some bureaucrat
rainsoft

Dunnellon, FL

#2 Sep 6, 2007
rainsoft always does this, they are one big SCAM! But I think Great Southern Water Treatment is Rainsoft. Same scums new name.
fstopfitz

Lincoln, NE

#3 Sep 7, 2007
Revoke their business license!! Then they are out of a job and funds to support an operation such as this. Court decisions are not needed for this.
Fed up

Orlando, FL

#4 Sep 7, 2007
Dspite the fact that my phone number is on the Do Not Call List. Great Southern water has phoned my home at least five times in the last two months (confirmed by Caller ID). I actually spoke to one of their representatives who tried to sell me a water softener, but hung up before I could get their name! This company is in flagrant violation of the law and should be penalized to the fullest extent!!!

BTW, though I agree with the other posting's comments against Rainsoft, they are not the same company as Great Southern Water.
rac6886

Orlando, FL

#5 Sep 7, 2007
You can add my name to the list - they've called my house twice within the past two weeks. My home number is on the "DO NOT CALL" list, and even though they came out to our house about three years ago (the offer of gift card to Home Depot was too much for my husband, apparently), and we told them THEN we wouldn't buy (after a 2 hour pitch by an obnoxious sales person), they STILL keep calling. Oh - and we never got our gift card anyway. So isn't that fraud as well?!
anoymous

Boone, NC

#6 Sep 17, 2007
I have heard from a reliable source that Great Southern not only calls people listed on the "Do Not Call" list but that they purchased this list because people on the list aren't contacted by their competition. I have also heard of many other scams that they do that are also illegal. I think that if this company is put under the mircoscope a lot more fraudulent things would surface. I hope they do an investigation, this company is only out to make themselves richer, regardless of who it costs.
jail time

United States

#7 Sep 18, 2007
They used to be the owners of rainsoft. Yes there are activities that should be looked at. Discrimination on who they will visit, as well as "qualifing" the customer before they come out. I am on the "Do Not Call" list and they called me. I said ok for them to come out. They then called me back and asked my credit score. I would not tell them and they said that were not sure they would be able to come. I said it was there lost and hung up. They called me back a third time about ten minutes later and I said I did not want them out any more. They were very rude and I was very suspicious. I looked up my credit report when I read this article and there is an inquiry form Great Southern. I am seeking legal council for this. I just wonder how they were able to check my credit without my permission or my SS#. If they did it to me they have probably done it to other people too.
Check your Experian credit report!
Anonymous

Apopka, FL

#8 Sep 19, 2007
I know for a fact that this company pulls credit on people before they go to their homes and do the sales pitch. "If" they sell, they know the person will be approved. I do not think it is legal and the owner knowingly does is anyway. People who have had appointments in the past who did not buy should check their credit and SUE if they can. The owner is a convicted Felon who spent 5 years in Federal Prison in New York.
Realitycheck

Desoto, TX

#9 Jan 11, 2008
How does a company pull your credit report if they haven't been given your social number? I work for a finance company, and if we run your credit without your signature on a credit application, we can be fined and lose our license. The only way they could run your credit is with your SSN and anyone who gives their SSN over the phone to someone who calls them is just retarded.
Anonymous wrote:
I know for a fact that this company pulls credit on people before they go to their homes and do the sales pitch. "If" they sell, they know the person will be approved. I do not think it is legal and the owner knowingly does is anyway. People who have had appointments in the past who did not buy should check their credit and SUE if they can. The owner is a convicted Felon who spent 5 years in Federal Prison in New York.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Longwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
D'Jordan Brooks (Apr '15) Apr 21 PRETTYBLACC1 3
chris clausen Apr 9 curious111245 1
Be Aware of Unsterile Operations!!! Apr 5 John Conover 1
News Seminole commissioner gets big share on reimbur... (Mar '08) Mar 28 Anonymous 42
Want some candy little girl? Mar '18 Anonnnn 2
News Settling cruise bill has been rough sailing (Mar '08) Jan '18 Katt 269
News Back to prison for Mary Hill (Aug '06) Oct '17 godcooks 216

Longwood Jobs

Personal Finance

Longwood Mortgages