Review: Haze, John J DDS - John J Haze DDS

Posted in the Long Valley Forum

Unhappy Customer

Piscataway, NJ

#1 Jul 5, 2009
As cheap as his price tag.

Exp. 5+ years treatment, terminated contract and switched to another orthodontist
agree

Parlin, NJ

#2 Jul 5, 2009
Unhappy Customer wrote:
As cheap as his price tag.
Exp. 5+ years treatment, terminated contract and switched to another orthodontist
Wow just happened to come across this and after my daughter is finished with her treatment (which is very soon) my next child will not go to this ortho. I found an almost 1200.00 discrepency in the contract i was paying on and thankgod i saved EVERY OUNCE OF PAPERWORK so i could prove what the original price quote was and i was being over charged on my monthly payments by almost 60 bucks!! Not to mention was charged the new inovations braces price for regular traditional braces that we went with and i feel that this was def done knowingly i ended up having to call their other office to confrim this price too!! HMMMM and 6 broken items later 3 of which happened literally within an hour of her checkup and who ever heard of being charged for broken brackets, wires, etc.!!would think thats included in the tremendous fee!! Called around to find my next ortho and asked each one if they charge for broken anythings at some point during treatment and they ALL said no!!
very angry customer

Stamford, CT

#3 Nov 21, 2009
first my daughter got her braces on in seventh grade then the dentist came across saying she had tmj so he removed her front four braces temporarily to fix this problem when dr haze saw this he took it upon himself to take off all of my daughter's braces without any parental consent, after a heated argument with this man and some time away from the office we worked out a deal to get my daughters braces back on. once back on, almost every month a brace was falling off when my daughter would not evern do anything, for example sleeping. she is now a junior in highschool, and still has her braces on. and today she went to the office and got harrased by this dr who made her cry and then did a shoddy job with putting a chain on her top braces and now she is in a lot of pain. Her teeth will not even shift because it was not put on right. on top of this, i was paying 100 dollars each visit and they would tell me that i still owed the same amount that i owed two visits before. plus, today when she was there a braces went down the back of her throat almost choking her and he did not do a single thing. his assistant did
be very careful

Parlin, NJ

#4 Nov 23, 2009
Be exremely conscientious when it comes to this practice!!!! SAVE EVERYTHING!!! Keep notes and keep good track of every broken brace and EVERY conversation you have!! I was told my son would be in his braces for 2 years!! He had a cross bite that was very easy to correct!! When 2 and 1/2 years came and went i asked him when he would be getting them off and he looked at me like i just put a gun to him and asked him for all of his money!!! He said i never said that (which he lied about) and proceeded to show the paper work, which i did sign, and you could see where he squeezed in the numbers 30-36 months!!! I went a little batty and said you did not tell me that!!! He told us 2 years my son was there and heard it as well and i even repeated the story that i told him during the conversation when he told us how long treatment would be and he blanked out and didn't recall it at all!!!! Then he wanted to say well your son is not wearing his bands and thats when i really flipped because my son had been so good abut it i find his used bands all over the house, in the garbages on the counter after he has eaten i even ask for new packs all the time when we go for is apps.!!!! So i found it very interesting when he left this particular day with a completely different bag of bands to start wearing after i told him that he had been wearing him the same exact rubber bands for the entire time of treatment without ever switching them!!!! No fair and honest ortho will charge you for standard brace breakage the way they do either!!! They tried to tell me after 3 broken brackets they start charging well i went straight to the paperwork where it stated that up to SIX broken brackets are allowed!!! They try to tell you one thing hoping you wont go double check the paperwork and catch them and trust me i have caught them a lot!!!!!!! Find someone else!!!!! Can't wait to be done!!!
Henry HIll

Darien, CT

#5 Nov 23, 2009
be very careful wrote:
Be exremely conscientious when it comes to this practice!!!! SAVE EVERYTHING!!! Keep notes and keep good track of every broken brace and EVERY conversation you have!! I was told my son would be in his braces for 2 years!! He had a cross bite that was very easy to correct!! When 2 and 1/2 years came and went i asked him when he would be getting them off and he looked at me like i just put a gun to him and asked him for all of his money!!! He said i never said that (which he lied about) and proceeded to show the paper work, which i did sign, and you could see where he squeezed in the numbers 30-36 months!!! I went a little batty and said you did not tell me that!!! He told us 2 years my son was there and heard it as well and i even repeated the story that i told him during the conversation when he told us how long treatment would be and he blanked out and didn't recall it at all!!!! Then he wanted to say well your son is not wearing his bands and thats when i really flipped because my son had been so good abut it i find his used bands all over the house, in the garbages on the counter after he has eaten i even ask for new packs all the time when we go for is apps.!!!! So i found it very interesting when he left this particular day with a completely different bag of bands to start wearing after i told him that he had been wearing him the same exact rubber bands for the entire time of treatment without ever switching them!!!! No fair and honest ortho will charge you for standard brace breakage the way they do either!!! They tried to tell me after 3 broken brackets they start charging well i went straight to the paperwork where it stated that up to SIX broken brackets are allowed!!! They try to tell you one thing hoping you wont go double check the paperwork and catch them and trust me i have caught them a lot!!!!!!! Find someone else!!!!! Can't wait to be done!!!
Thanks Karen
Netcong Friend

Milton, PA

#7 Nov 25, 2009
I also had a very bad experience using this ortho. My son was in treatment for over 4 years when I was told it would be 2 yrs. I was charged over and over for broken brackets. I got so frustrated I finally said to take the braces off. I couldn't stand the way I was treated by him. You're right when you say he looks at you like you don't know what you're talking about when you speak to him. The office staff was rude when I questioned having to pay for broken brackets. How is it possible that when he puts these brackets on they conveniently get broken immediately so he gets to charge add'l monies? I am so glad I don't have to go there anymore. If I had known what I know now I would NEVER use this man for ANY work to be done on my kids.
B SER

Parlin, NJ

#8 Nov 29, 2009
This place is nothing but a load of hot air!! I was also told 2 years for my child and even had my contract divided up into 2 years worth of payments and then they want to tell my o no we said 3 years!!!?? It's BS do not go to this place because they will try to find a way to screw you over and get more money out of you!! I DID NOT pay for anything over the 2 years they told me and they were not happy about my defiance about it either but i told them take it or leave it!! I think i even scared some of the other patients and their paretnts who were sitting in the waiting room at the time but i didn't care hopefully they'll listen to what i said and take it to heart in case they happen to experience a bad situation during their treatment!! i hate to ever talk down about someone's business but this is downright sleezy practices!!! Is his business suffering that much that he needs to do these things anyway???
unhappy patient

Madison, NJ

#9 Nov 6, 2010
Initially the doctor and the office staffs were very pleasant. But soon you are not welcome anymore, especially after you sign the contract. We wish we had chosen another doctor.
Confused

Manorville, NY

#10 Nov 25, 2010
I'm about to get braces from him next week and I decided to do a little research he seemed fine to me and infact most of my family members had him as an ortho and they said he was really good
now I'm confused- and scared
Happy

Norwalk, CT

#11 Nov 27, 2010
Confused wrote:
I'm about to get braces from him next week and I decided to do a little research he seemed fine to me and infact most of my family members had him as an ortho and they said he was really good
now I'm confused- and scared
My children go to Dr. H. He and his staff are wonderful. Never had any problems.
Furious

Sayreville, NJ

#12 Mar 22, 2011
When I first called the office they said that it would be a free consultation. But when my husband took my son in for it, they said there is a $75 charge for the x-rays - after they had taken the x-rays - then why didn't they tell us this before? Then how is it a "free" initial consultation? It is an underhanded way to get patients locked in. Absolutely furoius!
WOW

Madison, NJ

#13 May 10, 2011
I was just talking to a co worker about a horrible experience I had with an orthodontist many years ago (early 1990's). I had braces put on, was told they would cost one price, price changed twice, was told they would be on for about a year or two, HA!!After I paid a hefty downpayment and THOUGHT Haze had submitted everything to insurance, I found out he NEVER submitted...but he went ahead and put the braces on anyway. I got suspicious when my insurance company never reimbursed me for a few months of the orthodontic work. I questioned Haze about it and was assured they would check into it. I went ahead and called the insurance company myself and found out he had just submitted for the ortho work THAT DAY!! I had the braces on for months at that point. So, of course, the insurance company said it was pre existing and refused to pay for the orthodontic work. I ended up paying 5,000+ out of pocket...AND that was just the start of it. After 4 years of Haze telling me "just another month or so",I told him I had concerns about my treatment. He got angry with me for questioning my treatment so I contacted the NJ Board of Dentistry with all of my complaints. I went for a consultation with a different orthodontist at the direction of the Board of Dentistry. He found that my braces had been placed on my teeth in the wrong order. Apparently they come out of the package a certain way and are to be placed on specific teeth. Mine were all on the wrong teeth. The clear braces that were recommended to me (I was 24 at the time) caused a major gum infection that lasted the whole duration of the treatment time I spent with Haze. This was due to the fact that they contained latex, and I have a latex allergy. I was told they were plastic and were completely safe. NOT! Haze also moved the teeth way too fast and my roots are rounded as a result...meaning, they will always move slightly. I ended up going to court, but because I did not bring an expert witness to the court date, I could not win. Haze didn't win either. He had a black mark placed on his record because I had presented enough info that the court decided he was to some degree at fault. That black mark has long been removed from his history by now. Four years into the ordeal I ended up going to a different orthodontist who removed the clear braces, and we started over. He didn't even charge me and they were off in a year.
I am writing this because when I told my co worker this story, she seemed shocked!! I asked why...it is because her daughter goes to him. Please BE ALERT WHEN DEALING WITH THIS ORTHODONTIST! I can't believe he is still in business after all these years!
Disgusted

Rahway, NJ

#14 Feb 21, 2013
This orthodontist is very dishonest. PLEASE SAVE ALL PAPERWORK THEY GIVE YOU!!!! And when they don't want to give you copies of the contract INSIST ON THEM!!!!! They will say anything to get you to sign the contract and then they will rob you blind and lie to you. Choose another orthodontist. Dr. Haze should no longer be in practice. I wish I had this information sooner which is why I am passing it on to you. Trust me.....you don't want to have Dr. Haze treat anyone in your family!
THANKS4WARNING

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Feb 28, 2013
I have 2 daughters that need braces and next weekend was our first appointment. I am cancelling. Thanks for taking the time to warn others like myself!
Dr Abrams

Sparta, NJ

#16 Aug 9, 2013
I have referred to Dr.Haze for 25 years. Ortho treatment may at times take longer than anticipated. If you have a situation have a conference with the general dentist to discuss as a three way conversation. I have always been happy with his orthodontic results. My Three daughters have been treated by him. One daughter took 4 years to complete due to delayed tooth eruption. The major factor is the end results!, in spite of the side shows and complaints.
Sylvia Wieczorek

Spring Grove, IL

#17 Nov 8, 2013
Horrible practice. He is rude, with parents and children. Places the brackets and they miraculously break after a few minutes, then he charges you a lot of money to replace it and scolds your kid without you being present. He told me my son's treatment was finished when I announced we were moving but if I had not moved He would still have us going for more treatment. When we got to our new location, new dentist had to replace most of the braces, and install in areas that have been neglected, another 2500 for "the completed treatment" . Forget about talking to him, he will not answer your calls. He should not be in practice and everybody who had a bad experience should complain to the Association he belongs to. Dishonest and disgraceful individual and practice.
Sylvia Wieczorek

Spring Grove, IL

#18 Nov 8, 2013
If you read all the complaints and still refer children to him, you can not be better than he is.
lower netcong

Catonsville, MD

#19 Nov 9, 2013
THANKS4WARNING wrote:
I have 2 daughters that need braces and next weekend was our first appointment. I am cancelling. Thanks for taking the time to warn others like myself!
I recommend rockaway dental, very good orthodontis there, his name is renee. very good, three kids with braces. no of these problems. he is excellent
DO NOT ENTER THAT OFFICE

Pompton Lakes, NJ

#20 May 13, 2014
I have two children that have been in his office for 5 years only to find out they still have another two years left on there braces. Needless to say we are no longer in his office. He has no idea what he is doing. He does not pay attention to his patients. Do not go there!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Valley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
upgrading panel (Jun '14) Apr 23 Jamestheduke21 2
Looking for a rental 2 bedroom home for rent Apr 16 Fortunato contractor 2
News Owner of Albanese Sports Gallery in Belvidere a... (Jan '09) Mar '15 BSD 5
Someone famous from long ago lives in Budd Lake Mar '15 For real 1
News Doctor's letter may hold key to Branchville man... Feb '15 disgusted 1
Merv Griffin's old house address? (Jul '12) Feb '15 Kevin Durkin 3
News Dr. Cary L. Hamlin (Sep '07) Apr '14 Drew 181
More from around the web

Long Valley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE