Unattended infant killed by Siberian husky at home near Indepen...

There are 8 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 19, 2010, titled Unattended infant killed by Siberian husky at home near Indepen.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

When it involves a baby's death, even the tired eyes of veteran cops well up. At times pausing to compose himself, West Hennepin Public Safety Director Ray McCoy explained Friday how a 71-pound Siberian husky attacked and killed 11-day-old Robert Hocker in a lakeside home west of Independence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Saint Paul, MN

#111 Apr 3, 2010
was there really a crime commited here? i dont think so. these people who loved their baby and their dog now have lost both. who is to say why a dog does these things? no one. tens of thousands of dogs including pit bulls live with babies and children and never have a single problem! i dont believe these people should be charged. they will suffer the effects of that moment for the rest of their lives. you cant blame or hate them anymore than they already do. what happened to our society? this was a tragedy. who are any of us to sit in judgement? we cant plan for every single possibility! this is the problem with people... its so disgusting to see empathy and sympathy is so lost in this world. lets ban all big dogs and create new laws that confine our children to a tiny little safe place with a parent hovering over them in fear of prison for tragedy... blech!!!
ilikecats

Chaska, MN

#112 Apr 4, 2010
THINK AGAIN wrote:
<quoted text> WHY???!!! OK!! Let's start here! Today you quit using the toilet. Next put 3" of Kitty Litter in the bathtub. Every time you or the children, other inhabitants of your house, have to go to the bathroom you use the bathtub by getting in the tub and doing your business. Now walk around your house. How long before your entire house smellls like human waste?? 3 or 4 days?? That is how your house smells to someone who lives in a cat free, clean house!!!!
You are a complete idiot. You know nothing about cats or how to care for them. We have two cats, and no one has ever said anything about a smell when they come to our house, because we clean the litter out of the box every day. You flush your toilet when you're done using it, I assume? Well, if you sift out the clumps of moist litter and the lumps of cat poop, the litter doesn't smell. In fact, most litter these days has perfume added to it, so it acts like an air freshener. Please go away.
outsider

Columbia, SC

#113 Jun 5, 2010
Some of your comments on this topic are extremely intelligent, and some are clearly the opposite. Having a discussion about cats in this thread is clearly irrelevant. I have owned a husky now for close to 3 years and she was a rescue. She is the sweetest animal I have ever come across. One person here mentioned a husky that was biting people. There will always be animals, regardless of breed, that are more aggrssive. The same with humans. Obviously with society today, there are hundreds of thousands of overly aggressive people. Why are dogs treated differently because of breed? These people suffered a tragic loss, as would anyone in this position. I would be devastated if something were to happen to my child or my husky. Try not to be so closed-minded about a dog because of breed.

Since: Apr 10

Chaska, MN

#114 Jun 6, 2010
outsider wrote:
Some of your comments on this topic are extremely intelligent, and some are clearly the opposite. Having a discussion about cats in this thread is clearly irrelevant. I have owned a husky now for close to 3 years and she was a rescue. She is the sweetest animal I have ever come across. One person here mentioned a husky that was biting people. There will always be animals, regardless of breed, that are more aggrssive. The same with humans. Obviously with society today, there are hundreds of thousands of overly aggressive people. Why are dogs treated differently because of breed? These people suffered a tragic loss, as would anyone in this position. I would be devastated if something were to happen to my child or my husky. Try not to be so closed-minded about a dog because of breed.
Yeah, SO?
Magic

Maple Plain, MN

#115 Jun 6, 2010
ilikecats wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, SO?
Have a deal for ya.

Got 9 feral cats in my yard living the life. Woman next door feeds them and they went from 3 last year to 9 now. 3 white, 3 black 2 gray one calico. 4 are baby kittens.

They are all yours FREE for the taking!

Else they have taken to many songbirds and the cats will be rduced soon. I won't take them to the shelter and pay $45 per cat to have them neutralized.

I'm unemployed and can get rid of them much cheaper.

Since: Apr 10

Chaska, MN

#116 Jun 14, 2010
Magic wrote:
<quoted text>
Have a deal for ya.
Got 9 feral cats in my yard living the life. Woman next door feeds them and they went from 3 last year to 9 now. 3 white, 3 black 2 gray one calico. 4 are baby kittens.
They are all yours FREE for the taking!
Else they have taken to many songbirds and the cats will be rduced soon. I won't take them to the shelter and pay $45 per cat to have them neutralized.
I'm unemployed and can get rid of them much cheaper.
You must be a Democrat- YOU have 9 feral cats living in YOUR backyard, and you want to make them someone elses problem. No thanks, I have two cats and that is all I choose to live with for now. As far as you're damned song birds go, I love to plink them out of my trees with my pellet gun. They annoy the heck out of me when I'm trying to sleep.
Steve Tellers

Ridgecrest, CA

#117 Jul 16, 2010
here we go wrote:
When the kids were babies, we put a screen door on their bedroom. That way, we kept the cats out of the room but could still hear and see what was going on in there. Was it hyper vigilent? Maybe. But that's what parents do. They protect their kids and take measures to keep them out of harms way.
They kept their kid on a bed, alone and unwatched with a dog in the house? Some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids...
A solid majority of people who have children should not have them.
Alhana

Saint Paul, MN

#118 Mar 3, 2013
Nemo wrote:
The parents left the infant and dog together unattended. To Dealer, Robert looked and smelled like a snack. Dogs are predators; babies are, putting it very simply, prey.(This is why those of us who own small pets like guinea pigs or rabbits would never dream of placing such animals within biting range of even the gentlest of dogs.) Now Robert is dead, poor Dealer will soon be dead, and we're left with two grieving idiots.
. You are not gonna believe me and I don't expect you to, but Robert was my little brother and dealer was my bestfriend. He was my step dads dog and the most gentle animal I've ever seen. He used to let me use him as a pillow and wouldn't even stir. You have no right to call my parents idiots. Dealer was barricade behind a steel gate, one in which he'd never jumped over before and he someone how managed to that time. It's not like Robert and dealer where left together In a room...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Lake Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buckhorn fire 3-18-72 ~ Photo by Ken Siljander (Jul '14) Feb '15 Fritz 2
scabies & pregnant Dec '14 scabiesisannoying 1
News Christopher & Banks to close its high-end Acorn... (Jul '08) Sep '14 JackieB 20
Delarm/Gage (Sep '14) Sep '14 Ramanda 1
News Reporter Rusty Gatenby let go at KSTP after DWI... (Feb '14) Aug '14 rusty wantbe 6
Long lake, MN - at Nelson Park - Nov. 21, 1971 (Jul '14) Jul '14 heggie 1
Wayzata Cougars (Jul '14) Jul '14 Cougar Den 3
More from around the web

Long Lake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]