Sugo in Long Beach: Urban Italian fare

Sugo in Long Beach: Urban Italian fare

There are 87 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 1, 2007, titled Sugo in Long Beach: Urban Italian fare. In it, Newsday reports that:

Adding a new Italian accent to the Long Beach dining scene is Sugo, which opened Memorial Day weekend at 62 W. Park Ave., 516-431-7846. Chef Merlin Tlapa, who has cooked at Coco Pazzo and Centolire in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

carlo

Mahwah, NJ

#64 Sep 1, 2008
Went back on saturday night with friends and it was a flippin disaster. Horrible service (as usual), disfunctional management and zero quality food. That was the last timefor us. No more chances. Sugo , please shut down so someone else (save us George Martin) could move in and open a decent restaurant.
why

Farmingdale, NJ

#65 Sep 1, 2008
is this forum so active on Topix... about a restaurant with a wall in the window so you can't see if anyone is in there? OK, so they just cut a hole in the wall.

And what is "urban Italian food" anyway? Huh?

I'll stick with Ocean Park Diner and Duke Falcon's and the crepe place
Urban Italian

New York, NY

#66 Sep 2, 2008
I think the owner calls it "urban Italian" because his wife is black. Either that or all the cockroaches in the kitchen reminded them of the projects. There were pools of standing water in the basement and it smelled like a sewer. That would make it "urban".
Urban Italian

New York, NY

#67 Sep 2, 2008
I guess now it's officially a "hole in the wall"
OnlyGoodThingsTo Say

White Plains, NY

#68 Oct 6, 2008
I went there Friday night - I had a great chopped salad with a nice soft provolone and a champagne dressing, wild mushroom soup which was awesome, the sea bass special which was so fresh I swear it was caught the day or 2 before and my husband had the chefs speciality of canaloni stuffed with braised short ribs that he said was dynamite ....... the chef has tons of other specials and the people there that night were all really complementing him ....... maybe he is new but the place was really (really) good ..... worth a second trip for us....
Not Bad

East Haddam, CT

#69 Oct 21, 2008
Ate there the other night, pretty good.
GO for It

Waltham, MA

#70 Oct 22, 2008
Not Bad wrote:
Ate there the other night, pretty good.
I agree, the service, food were good. Service a little slow but acceptable. Will go back.
Not Bad

Acton, MA

#71 Nov 7, 2008
Went there, had the veal scallopini and cheescake for dessert.
Saw Anthony Calderone outside begging for a handout, I thru him my leftovers.
Don Jose

Hicksville, NY

#72 Dec 11, 2008
Not Bad wrote:
Went there, had the veal scallopini and cheescake for dessert.
Saw Anthony Calderone outside begging for a handout, I thru him my leftovers.
I bet that he threw it back!
matt and lisa

Winsted, CT

#73 Jan 27, 2009
My girlfriend and i found Sugo in their opening weeks. We walked in simply for the sign that said cocktails. When she ordered a grapefruit and absolut and recieved her drink with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, we decided to sit down and give the food a try. We began with a margarita pie and several appetizers. Well, nearly 2 years later and over a dozen visits, we still have yet to make it past the appetizers. In fact, on out last visit, owner and host, Alan, did all the ordering for us. A complete 5 course meal of appetizers and not one of them was disappointing. Yes, the place can be noisy. Yes, you may have to wait for a table. But from two people who eat out 3-4 nights a week...it's all worth it. Even having to drive 20 miles to get there.
Bruno

Toms River, NJ

#74 Feb 23, 2009
Is this place still open?
Ralph Z

Mahwah, NJ

#75 Mar 22, 2009
Could not have been worse. Food and Service. Someone needs to remove the owner/manager from that restaurant. What a bubbling annoying misfit. Please do not waste your time and money. If you want good food in Long Beach head to Nick Dangelo or George Martin Coastal Grill. They are no nonsense places with consistent quality food and great drinks. The crowds speak for themselves. Stay away from this flop. Never again. I agree with the past thumbs down posts.
NYer

Suffern, NY

#76 Apr 30, 2009
Good food. I enjoyed it.
Noelle

Hicksville, NY

#77 Aug 19, 2009
This is for chef. I guess you lost your little bet about Sugo being closed by Valentines day. Now I have been a server for 5 years, and any well known chef, does not have all this free time on their hands to diss restaurants. Didn't you go to restaurant school? A true professional keeps theer negativity to themselves. I would like to know where you work, so I can come bash your cooking. I used to work at Sugo when they first opened and recently just returned. If you want an excellent dining experience just come see me. I am there on the weekends ( you will not be disappointed ) As for the "predious prick" saying it is "urban Italian " because he has a black wife. FUCK YOU our president is black you obviously have no class
Jim

United States

#78 Aug 20, 2009
Is it really that good?
WestEnder

Brooklyn, NY

#79 Aug 27, 2009
I've eaten at Sugo quite a few times with my wife. Can't say that I was ever disappointed. Also had a few drinks at the bar another time with a couple friends. I'm really not sure why anyone would bash this place. I think it's great and has a better atmosphere than most restaurants in LB
janice russo

Hicksville, NY

#80 Sep 22, 2009
This was my 8th time dining at Sugo, although the food is great, the owner is such a mean person.sitting there during the coarse of my meal, i must have heard him completely humiliate and insult his staff 5times. Not to mention, the owner was my server. Quite strange to see his staff standing there eager to work, while he decides which tables he takes and which he gives away. I do not see how any honest person can make a living working there. I was always one for feeling special when the owner of a restaurant comes over and checks if things are ok, but the owner just blends in with the staff. To be honest, he has to be the worst server I have ever had. He has a great looking hip staff, and he serves in jeans and a t-shirt. FYI let the prof. do there jobs, and act as a manager. It is obvious that your restaurant is falling to pieceswhen you serve more tables than your staff.

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#81 Sep 23, 2009
janice russo wrote:
This was my 8th time dining at Sugo, although the food is great, the owner is such a mean person.sitting there during the coarse of my meal, i must have heard him completely humiliate and insult his staff 5times. Not to mention, the owner was my server. Quite strange to see his staff standing there eager to work, while he decides which tables he takes and which he gives away. I do not see how any honest person can make a living working there. I was always one for feeling special when the owner of a restaurant comes over and checks if things are ok, but the owner just blends in with the staff. To be honest, he has to be the worst server I have ever had. He has a great looking hip staff, and he serves in jeans and a t-shirt. FYI let the prof. do there jobs, and act as a manager. It is obvious that your restaurant is falling to pieceswhen you serve more tables than your staff.
Doesn't sound like a place that's conducive to fine dining, is the facade unassuming ?

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#82 Sep 24, 2009
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't sound like a place that's conducive to fine dining, is the facade unassuming ?
penne ala vodka. the dish that made urban italians famous
Ellen

New York, NY

#83 Nov 20, 2009
I think the food is excellent. I enjoy everything I've eaten there. The service is good to. The waitstaff is prompt & bring the food out piping hot when it's ready & always tasy too. Sugo is a fun place, especially for an older crowd. Karaoke Thursday's Comedy Friday's they're always trying something new. Which makes it a great experience in town.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Roadside Express Of The Bronx (Jun '15) Sun Carol 2
Review: iLoveKickboxing Fresh Meadows May 17 Calvin Kwok 2
News Man Shot Dead in Freeport Auto Shop (May '11) May 16 Amy Fixher 6
uncle sam /// spit (May '07) May 14 Barry 42
Town Of Hempstead Considers Ban On Backyard Mar... May 13 homeowner 1
News 4 Levittown brothers accused in $70-million coi... (Nov '08) May 11 Stan Stasiak 432
Review: Popkin-Brogna Jujitsu Center (Nov '14) May 10 Michelle LaForest 33

Long Beach Jobs

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages