Sugo in Long Beach: Urban Italian fare

Aug 1, 2007 Read more: Newsday 87
Adding a new Italian accent to the Long Beach dining scene is Sugo, which opened Memorial Day weekend at 62 W. Park Ave., 516-431-7846. Chef Merlin Tlapa, who has cooked at Coco Pazzo and Centolire in ... Read more
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
sue

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Aug 1, 2007
Went to Sugo's last friday nite - it was great - the best part is that it serves food late - good drinks, nice music and the food was very good
Long Beach mom

Plainview, NY

#2 Aug 17, 2007
I went to Sugo on Tuesday night. My waiter, Paul, was extremely capable. Easy to tell he has a lot of restaurant experience. The food was fantastic and surpassed my expectations.

I will definitely return often.
Ginzo Beach

Newtown, CT

#3 Aug 17, 2007
Just what Long Beach needs, another italian joint.
SSS

Astoria, NY

#4 Oct 18, 2007
Went there once and had a pretty bad time, we gave it a second try and that was bad as well.
Sorry but that was the last .
Laura

Massapequa Park, NY

#5 Oct 19, 2007
Well, where do I start? There was NOT anything to like about this place.
The Hostor Owner whoever he is was not a pleasent person and should not be the one that meets and greets and seats people. The place it self was as noicy as Central park at a Rolling Stones concert.
The waitress, well i won't even get into that or my post will be cencered.
The food, very UN-exicting. One person in our group of 4 had to send it bak twice and still it wasn't right. So he just gave up and had coffee.
I wouldn't go back again if it were fro free.
Sorry, Sugo but you just didn't cut it for me or my friends.
K Def

Hempstead, NY

#6 Oct 31, 2007
Well, I hear there's a halloween thing going on tonight, which is great becuase its October 31st!! HALLOWEEN NIGHT! and no one has anything going on. Come on, Long Beach. Is all this god forsaken night only into weekend club nights. Where oh where are the bars where you can have a conversation inside WHILE getting comfortably numb.
Sandy of Long Beach

Massapequa Park, NY

#7 Nov 2, 2007
The last time I/we were here will be the last time for sure.
We had a reservation for 5 people at 8:00..We got there at 7:45 and was asked to wait at the bar area. I didn't know why being there were several empty tables that were suitable for us.
Unless they do this to just push drinks.
Anyway, at about 8:20 after my husband was complaining the Host or Owner sat us at one of the tables that was empty when we first arived. Hum?( what was that all about?) Ok, so we sat down and had to wait for another 15 mins. or so till the waitress came to us. She right away asked us if we were ready to order! What? we didn't even receive any menus yet. Ok, so we got the menues and we ordered.
From here on the real disaster began.
Wrong order for 2 of us, cold food for another 2 of us. And a meat dish that was as tough as could be. You can cross this place off your "must go to" list...believe me. And you won't miss anything.
You'll thank me, believe me.
Was Not To Pleased

Freehold, NJ

#8 Nov 8, 2007
We did not care for the service or the food.

Sorry
Burrr bye
Mad

Massapequa Park, NY

#9 Nov 21, 2007
I just can not understand this place.
We wanted to make a reservation here one night for 5 people on a Sat. night. We were told on the phone that they no longer take reservations. I told this to my friend who was one of the people that was coming with me, he told me that was not true.
So he called and asked for the same reservation, 5 people at 8:00PM. And what do you know, the same person took the reservation.
We then arrived there at 7:45 and we were told that there would be a half hour to 45 minutes wait.
We sat in the lounge area and we waited.
After about 40 minutes we were seated and I have to tell you that I wish we didn't wait. There was so much confusion over our order and when it was finally resolved it was not exactly the best meal we ever had.
There are so many great restaurants in Long Beach, don't waste your time and money here.
Scott

United States

#10 Dec 5, 2007
I love this place. I've eatin here about 4 times now and everytime I have had a great experience. Awesome water. Nice hostess, GREAT FOOD, and always a free glass of wine. I will defiantely keep returning. I also love the trendyness of it.
Missy

Massapequa Park, NY

#12 Dec 8, 2007
I don't know about you Carly, but my experiance there was not as good as yours. I can only give my opinion. My boyfriend and I were only there once on a Friday night, but I'd doubt if we would try it again. Although the ambience was nice and the restaurant had a nice look to it, I just did not feel comfortable there.
Yes our waitress was nice but I was not so pleased with the Host or the food.
The prices were low but then again so was the quality of the food. I have frequented many Long Beach restaurants since I moved to Long Island and i think I can tell a good one when I see one. And this one was not my "cup of tea"
Wendy of Island Park

Massapequa Park, NY

#13 Dec 15, 2007
Funny how Scott and Carly wrote their reviews on the same day isn't it.
Any how, I've been to SUGO'S once amd I found it to be just so-so.
I would rate it as fair.
I think that with the many restaurants in both Long Beach and in Island Park, you can do a bit better.
I'd try, Corbins, Nick DiAngelos, Duke Falcons, Panchos, LA Rioja, and Paddy McGees
Elvis

Monroe, NY

#14 Dec 21, 2007
This restaurant was awful!!! My husband and I were there when it first opened and thought it was awful. We had heard it was good so we thought we'd give it another chance. AWFUL!!! The owner was very nice as someone else mentioned but our food was NOT good not to mention the price was INSANE!!!!!!!!!! I had a pasta dish with sundried tomatoes, which had no taste!$24. My husband had a veal chop which was recomended and it was barely edible for $50!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding. In the end we spent $150 on dinner, and left unsatisfied and annoyed! DON'T GO THERE! IT is a waste!!!
Pat of Long Beach

Freehold, NJ

#15 Dec 23, 2007
The food was fair in my opinion, but far from great or spectacular. I would also say that service and the host/hostesses was pretty rude We had to keep from laughing at their attitude. Why the attitude? The wine was also very mediocre. The tables we were given was insanely small and cramped, and the entire atmosphere was just ok. If you're going to spend this amount of money, go to Patty NcGees.
Kathy

Massapequa Park, NY

#16 Jan 4, 2008
My fiance and me were celebrating our anniversary. It was a very special occasion for us, however the evening was almost ruined after we had dinner there. We foolishly believed the descriptions and ratings that it is a very good restaurant. We made reservation 3 days in advance and particularly asked to be seated in a nice table. However, when we arrived we were seated in the darkest coldest corner upstairs, right next to the kitchen. The waiter, who was serving our table, was very stuck-up and unfriendly. Nobody would come and suggest pouring water in our glasses. We waited for our dessert for 45 minutes! The place was crowded and loud. I had to lean to hear what my fiance was saying. We went there, expecting to have great dinners, and came out very upset and disappointed.
Bad service, Overpriced
Carlo

Mahwah, NJ

#17 Jan 13, 2008
We decided to go there recently with our extended family members. We made a reservation for eight and got there in time. We were told that it would take 15 minutes to set up. About an hour later we were seated. Meanwhile we spent money on two bottles of wine during the lousy wait. The food was a disaster and the wait staff were retarded. The owner should stop seating people and just disappear. I don't see how much longer this place is going to stay around with the likes of George Martin's, Nick DeAngelo's, Corbin and Reynolds and Duke Falcon's in Town. If you want great food at reasonable prices your better off going to Gino's and Steve's Pasta instead of this loser.
Karen

Massapequa Park, NY

#19 Jan 18, 2008
THIS PLACE HAD THE WORST SERVICE IN LONG BEACH ..AND WAY TOO EXPENSIVE We were there Friday night and the service was bad from the minute we walked in.
RealSicilian

United States

#20 Jan 19, 2008
Ginzo Beach wrote:
Just what Long Beach needs, another italian joint.
Eat my azz.. i think most long beach italian joints suck and half the time its not even italians running the joint so this is a GOOD thing.
Analyze This

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Jan 19, 2008
Another Italian food slinging joint. Just what L.I. needs. I bet the waitresses have moustaches too.
JohnBs Review

Massapequa Park, NY

#22 Jan 19, 2008
This place was highly disappointing and over-rated. We went there for the first time late December of 2007. The food was mediocre and the service was poor. We sat upstairs...I found managment to be cavallier & the servers to be arrogant. We dine out an awful lot, we were unpleasantly surprised. And the attitude by the managment here is as high as I've ever seen it! Big on attitude and big on the check. They seem to be VERY Independent! I wont spend my money in any place where managment/staff have no respect for the very people who keep them in business - there are plenty of other places to eat in that area. I would not recommend this place or the food to anyone.

Perhaps a bad nite
Everything was only so-so. could have passed on this one. service sucked.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Marion County suspect dies during jail booking (Sep '06) 11 hr low 92
News Not guilty plea for teen charged in college hit... (Mar '07) 22 hr 2015yeaaaa 110
News Brooklyn, NYC Personal Injury Lawyer Fri calebhart54 10
Looking for Church Space to Share/Rent (Feb '09) Fri baconr 116
News Hempstead botched robbery suspect arrested - (Sep '07) Thu King 36
News A 'hell on Horton Road' for family of murder vi... (Jul '06) Apr 15 Former Streamer 1,114
Boiler & Furnace Repair (May '09) Apr 14 Travis Simons 10

Fire Warning for Nassau County was issued at April 18 at 11:50AM EDT

More from around the web

Long Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]