DUI checkpoint to be set up during th...

DUI checkpoint to be set up during the July 4th weekend

There are 17 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Jun 21, 2010, titled DUI checkpoint to be set up during the July 4th weekend. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

In an effort to curb drunk driving injuries and deaths around the upcoming July 4 holiday, the Long Beach Police Department will be executing a DUI/drivers license checkpoint in North Long Beach on Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

LAPD

United States

#1 Jun 21, 2010
Welcome to Hell
icouldusesomehel p

La Habra, CA

#2 Jun 21, 2010
North Long Beach?

Not a problem, go get 'em boys!
PT Critic

Downey, CA

#3 Jun 21, 2010
Not Belmont Shore?
Rickman de la Mullet

Whittier, CA

#4 Jun 21, 2010
What the darn heck were the other 5 goshdarn arrests for? So, they ended arresting 10 additional people that they trapped with their billy goats gruff troll under the bridge operation but only 50% of those people were actually arrested for DUIs, which I thought was their justification for their spending all of my tax dollars on doing this unconstitutional operation in the first place! That is pretty typical though- they pull you over and say your taillight was out or some other make-believe excuse and search you and your car without asking for consent or telling you any probably cause and they make you stop for DUI checkpoints but apparently half the people they arrested weren't driving drunk. Is everybody so afraid of these people we pay to protect us that they will let them get away with this?
lame

Donie, TX

#5 Jun 21, 2010
I think that these check points are somewhat pointless to an extent. If they (police) actually ran tests they would get more people driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs off the streets.However, at these checkpoints all they ask for is your license, does the mere fact that show your license prove that you are not driving under the influence?
Waiting to pounce

AOL

#6 Jun 21, 2010
Rickman de la Mullet wrote:
Is everybody so afraid of these people we pay to protect us that they will let them get away with this?
The short answer is 'yes'.
They have the power to ruin your life and when, out of the blue, you're pulled over when going about your business, you've got to decide if you want to sacrifice yourself and bank account or just go along and get along--the answer is sort of obvious to most people. Especially when, in the end, it won't do anybody any good anyway.
Eventually, revolution is the historical solution to oppressive government. Not that it will happen here. Maybe it will and maybe it won't. That's all we're left with when things have gone too far.
Croak

Los Gatos, CA

#7 Jun 22, 2010
You don't see no stop signs on me, I've got the Top Gun DUI attorney on permanent retainer.
Croak

Los Gatos, CA

#8 Jun 22, 2010
@lame

In your case, when the copper asked to see your license, you pulled out your BevMo club card so that was a pretty good indication you were toasted.
Well

Cerritos, CA

#9 Jun 22, 2010
Rickman de la Mullet wrote:
What the darn heck were the other 5 goshdarn arrests for? So, they ended arresting 10 additional people that they trapped with their billy goats gruff troll under the bridge operation but only 50% of those people were actually arrested for DUIs, which I thought was their justification for their spending all of my tax dollars on doing this unconstitutional operation in the first place! That is pretty typical though- they pull you over and say your taillight was out or some other make-believe excuse and search you and your car without asking for consent or telling you any probably cause and they make you stop for DUI checkpoints but apparently half the people they arrested weren't driving drunk. Is everybody so afraid of these people we pay to protect us that they will let them get away with this?
Yeah you are right, everyone should be able to drive drunk whenever they want and it is the cops fault for setting up these horrible checkpoints and getting you in trouble for breaking the law...moron.
Barney Fife

Pasadena, CA

#10 Jun 22, 2010
PT Critic wrote:
Not Belmont Shore?
A little over 30 days ago there was a checkpoint at Loynes & PCH.

Wasn't that close enough to Belmont for ya!
kraft

Temecula, CA

#11 Jun 22, 2010
Well, I'm sick of seeing all those bald headed cholo in long beach driving their truck while drinking a beer. If they're going to do a checkpoint, why announce it?
go lbpd

United States

#12 Jun 22, 2010
lame wrote:
I think that these check points are somewhat pointless to an extent. If they (police) actually ran tests they would get more people driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs off the streets.However, at these checkpoints all they ask for is your license, does the mere fact that show your license prove that you are not driving under the influence?
It certainly can help the police discover if you're driving while illegal alien. They should have them on Catalina island every weekend.
Heberts folly

Torrance, CA

#13 Jun 22, 2010
No DUI. Strictly to harass the undocumented worker. Bammy will make everyone legal in a month or so then these racist checkpoints will no longer be needed. (TIC)
The REAL LeRoy

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Jun 22, 2010
Hurry, put lots of illegals in jail.
retard

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Jun 22, 2010
these should just be called check points for your papers...not for DUIs...these are soo pointless. you can straight out spot someone who is driving under the influence..so just stop them...not everyone else who is not guilty...duh
PT Critic

Downey, CA

#16 Jun 22, 2010
Barney Fife wrote:
<quoted text>
A little over 30 days ago there was a checkpoint at Loynes & PCH.
Wasn't that close enough to Belmont for ya!
If you've ever been to Belmont Shore during the 4th, you'd know the area is full of drunks of various ages. If the city really wants to crack down (and generate revenue..), they need to go where the drunks are. I'm aware of the checkpoint at PCH & Loynes. It was April 24th. Not exactly a big drinking weekend, historically speaking.
careful driver

Westminster, CA

#17 Jun 27, 2010
Now i know what area of town to avoid during my drunken holiday rampage. Thanks, Press Telegram!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Bayonne nj 21,301
Why is there a helicopter circling over the lak... (Aug '11) 17 hr Amber 10
Another Pioneer Blvd. Murder Dec 13 Annoyeds 8
people in military bases in France in the sixties (Mar '07) Dec 13 cmurrah 3,727
News 8th Grade Haskell Middle School Student Missing (Oct '13) Dec 11 tellinitlikeitis 2
Nautilus Submarine Sandwich? (Oct '13) Dec 9 booger 17
News Lions Drag Strip's checkered flag (Feb '09) Dec 8 Bkgun439354 40

Long Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages