LBUSD pink slips hit hard

LBUSD pink slips hit hard

There are 80 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Aug 3, 2010, titled LBUSD pink slips hit hard. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Millikan High and Hudson K-8 lost the most teachers and student support staff as a result of layoffs at the Long Beach Unified School District this year, according to district records.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Reality Bites

Long Beach, CA

#67 Aug 7, 2010
lbusd teacher too wrote:
<quoted text>
So you went to college and read about teachers. Who taught you how to read? Probably some really stupid person.
MY mother is the person who taught me to read, BEFORE I ever stepped foot into a kindergarten. I also knew how to count, recite (obviously) the alphabet and all sort of other things anybody would reasonably expect from a child who attended preschool in the seventies.

You probably don't remember the whole NEW math and teaching (which include, but not limited to teaching us to spell phonetically instead of correctly, the metric system (which screwed up a ton of kids) and letting students learn at 'their' own pace (which NEVER works), debacle of the mid 1970's, I was, unfortunately, one of the students they 'experimented' on. If my Mother hadn't taught my brother and I at home I'd have been lucky to graduate high school.

Teachers and school districts, can and have, been detrimental to students learning...I appreciate that not all students are teachable, and some just don't care, or have parents who don't care, but it's YOUR job to make sure they at least learn the basics (FOUNDATIONS) of reading, writing, spelling and math. There is no excuse for failure to do so!
Reality Bites

Long Beach, CA

#68 Aug 7, 2010
lbusd teacher too wrote:
Whatís going on here? Real Deal, Old Guy, Really Bites and Ronald the Racist are all back. Was there a full moon last night? I know you all found out that the Easter Bunny and NutMeg Whitman are not real. This placed all of you in such a blind rage that you needed to take out your anger on something or someone. Since there were no puppies around, you decided to beat up on teachers.
Are you on that again? Get over yourself and learn what an ISP address is. As I said before, this IS a local Paper, "The Long Beach Press Telegram", so it's not unusual for people who live in Long Beach and Lakewood to comment on the local issues. And, you wonder why I called you 'stupid'?
lbusd teacher too

Carson, CA

#69 Aug 7, 2010
Reality Bites wrote:
<quoted text>
MY mother is the person who taught me to read, BEFORE I ever stepped foot into a kindergarten. I also knew how to count, recite (obviously) the alphabet and all sort of other things anybody would reasonably expect from a child who attended preschool in the seventies.
You probably don't remember the whole NEW math and teaching (which include, but not limited to teaching us to spell phonetically instead of correctly, the metric system (which screwed up a ton of kids) and letting students learn at 'their' own pace (which NEVER works), debacle of the mid 1970's, I was, unfortunately, one of the students they 'experimented' on. If my Mother hadn't taught my brother and I at home I'd have been lucky to graduate high school.
Teachers and school districts, can and have, been detrimental to students learning...I appreciate that not all students are teachable, and some just don't care, or have parents who don't care, but it's YOUR job to make sure they at least learn the basics (FOUNDATIONS) of reading, writing, spelling and math. There is no excuse for failure to do so!
Who taught you mom?
lbusd teacher too

Carson, CA

#70 Aug 7, 2010
OldGuysRule wrote:
LBUSD Teacher Too:
You are a puppet of the union. You do and say only what brings in a paycheck.
You have no morals or virtues.
You might as well be a drug seller on the corner saying things like "this is really good stuff".
Most likely you are fat, short and ugly. Have **** envy and lack a religous upbringing.
When November comes around, we will be the ones celebrating when your precious Jerry Brown loses in the election. The days of the over-paid public servant and coming to and end.
Did you look into the city of Vernon? Did you see what happened to their "at-will" (non-union) firefighters and police?
You clearly don't have an education. You will never answer whenever someone asks you what your background is.
You are pobably a streetwalker, but a short, fat and ugly one.
Talking about November, have you seen the video yet?

www.kfiam640.com/pages/jk2010.html
OldGuysRule

Long Beach, CA

#71 Aug 7, 2010
OldGuysRule

Long Beach, CA

#72 Aug 7, 2010
LBUSD Teacher Too please vote!

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/long-beach-...
lbusd teacher too

Carson, CA

#73 Aug 7, 2010
Reality Bites wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you on that again? Get over yourself and learn what an ISP address is. As I said before, this IS a local Paper, "The Long Beach Press Telegram", so it's not unusual for people who live in Long Beach and Lakewood to comment on the local issues. And, you wonder why I called you 'stupid'?
Itís a scary thought but I do believe that you are three different people. And whatís even scarier is that you all live in the same area as I do. It would make it a little better if you told me you didnít go out at night.
lbusd teacher too

Carson, CA

#75 Aug 7, 2010
Reality Bites wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you stopped learning after the age of five. That explains a lot.
lbusd teacher too

Sherman Oaks, CA

#77 Aug 7, 2010
OldGuysRule wrote:
Old Guy
The harsh light of reality has finally hit you square on, and you have lost it. You found out that NutMeg is really a bad facsimile of Jerry Brown. And you realized that she was lying to you all along. Well, she wasnít really lying. It was her handlers that confused her to the point that she didnít really know that she was lying. The poor lady is just confused. Have you seen the interview yet?

www.kfiam640.com/pages/jk2010.html
LBUSD corruption

Los Alamitos, CA

#78 Aug 7, 2010
The blathering and banter between "OldGuysRule" and "LBUSD Teacher Too" is ridiculous. Readers are not so gullible as to think that either is a real individual, but rather political operatives with an agenda. Children caught in the middle are their victims.
Reality Bites

Long Beach, CA

#79 Aug 7, 2010
lbusd teacher too wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you stopped learning after the age of five. That explains a lot.
Yet again, for the learn disabled, if you have to resort to name calling and put downs, you don't have much of an argument, do you?
Reality Bites

Long Beach, CA

#80 Aug 7, 2010
LBUSD
LBUSD Teacher Too ONLY posts on anything to do with teachers being laid off, not anywhere else. At least I can respect, but often don't agree, with OldGuysRule, because he's a known regular poster on different threads. I hate one issue posters, they always have an agenda and never hear another side to the debate. More often than not, they are on the wrong side of the majority of the posters, Lame...
lbusd teacher too

Roaring Spring, PA

#81 Aug 7, 2010
Reality Bites wrote:
LBUSD
LBUSD Teacher Too ONLY posts on anything to do with teachers being laid off, not anywhere else. At least I can respect, but often don't agree, with OldGuysRule, because he's a known regular poster on different threads. I hate one issue posters, they always have an agenda and never hear another side to the debate. More often than not, they are on the wrong side of the majority of the posters, Lame...
I see your point. It is better to discuss many things that you donít know anything about than to discuss one thing that you do know something about. Your reason is another thing that scares me.
Cassandra

AOL

#82 Aug 7, 2010
After reading many of the previous posts I have to say that the local teacher's union would be better off if "lbusd teacher too" didn't post anything at all instead of the mindless, arrogant, insulting, illogical stuff that is seen in this thread. If this is what LB teachers are like I fully understand why so many are angry about the situation.
Ronald

Westminster, CA

#83 Aug 7, 2010
Reality Bites wrote:
LBUSD
Reality Bites.

I agree. Big Teacher Government agents are squealing like stuck pigs now. But they wholeheartedly support thieving schemes of the politicians to effectively reduce living standards of those who are forced to pay the cost of their outrageous salaries and plush fringe benefits through increased property and tobacco taxes - among others.

The loony "new economy" schemes that has resulted in historically high unemployment rates among taxpayers were cooked up in our expensive taxpayer supported Government controlled institutions of "higher" learning. It is rather hypocritical that $$$ Big School $$$ Government agent operatives come up with loony economic programs that result in ordinary taxpayers suffering unemployment, while at the same time complaining when their own highly paid jobs are on the line.

Ronald
Disgruntled Taxpayer

Los Alamitos, CA

#84 Aug 7, 2010
LBUSD has over 90 schools and they all have principals, vice principals and other administrators. Why shouldn't the administrators also receive pink slips as they are the highest paid and have little impact in the classroom?

LBUSD School Accountability Report Card, VIII School Finances
Teacher and Administrative Salaries (Fiscal Year 2007-08):

District Amount:

Beginning Teacher Salary --$44,627
Mid-Range Teacher Salary --$66,351
Highest Teacher Salary --$93,820
Average Principal Salary (Elementary)--$112,597
Average Principal Salary (Middle)--$112,700
Average Principal Salary (High)--$138,230
Superintendent Salary --$237,820
Percent of Budget for Teacher Salaries -- 40.60%
Percent of Budget for Administrative Salaries -- 6.50%

State Average For Districts in Same Category:

Beginning Teacher Salary --$42,065
Mid-Range Teacher Salary --$67,109
Highest Teacher Salary --$86,293
Average Principal Salary (Elementary)--$107,115
Average Principal Salary (Middle)--$112,279
Average Principal Salary (High)--$122,532
Superintendent Salary --$216,356
Percent of Budget for Teacher Salaries -- 39.40%
Percent of Budget for Administrative Salaries -- 5.50%

http://www.lbusd.k12.ca.us/Schools/SARCs/2009...
Detective Colombo

Los Alamitos, CA

#85 Aug 8, 2010
No surprise that the phoney "lbusd teacher too" is silent when it comes to LBUSD administrator salaries (maybe because he/she is one)! LBUSD is unaccountable as well as ethically and morally bankrupt.
Concerned Citizen

Irvine, CA

#87 Sep 3, 2012
Jeffrey1234 wrote:
Teachers and principals are so overpaid that alone is the reason for layoffs. They would only make half of their salary if they worked in the private/business sector.
I honestly hope you are utilizing sarcasm with this statement!!! If so, its not really funny. If not, this is the exact feeling many adults who have removed themselves from society and and care only about profit feel. Teachers are one of the most undervalued assets in the world. Without teachers who care about the students well being, knowledge, and personal growth most of the toping persons in Government, Wall Street, and high paying corporations would not be where they are today. And instead of those people remembering how hard it was to be a student and trying to switch the table and feel understanding for a teacher, they blame teachers for receiving too much money. Teachers spend more time with parents during the school year, with a total of 6 hours a day in the classroom. They then spend more time after-school preparing for the next day, grading papers, cleaning up the classroom, communicating with parents, administration or colleagues on how to better assist certain students. Most teachers spend about 10 hours a day at the school prior to going home. They deal with the government changing expectations, and curriculum, parents who consider education more day care than a place to build a child for the future, ranges of disabilities, a lack of resources which most often end up coming out of their own pockets and students being raised to be entitled to anything and everything. And this is all completed with a smile, and a full day of new knowledge primed to engage all 30-37 children in the classroom. Now, if we want to do a comparison chart to top paying Business owners, managers, Government officials, etc we would see the hours and expectations would be the same, yet strange enough, the teachers pay for the MAJORITY of teachers would only be half of a yearly salary to the others. Teachers don't go into teaching for the pay!! They Go into teaching to help our future being informed, educated individual citizens of our World!
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#88 Sep 3, 2012
Reality Bites wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality Bites.

The really scary part is that today's overpaid taxpayer supported Government teachers themselves, are heirs to the dysfunctional teaching system that was implemented during the 60s 70s druggie era.

Ronald
CSULB Josh

Long Beach, CA

#89 Sep 3, 2012
Jeffrey1234 wrote:
Teachers and principals are so overpaid that alone is the reason for layoffs. They would only make half of their salary if they worked in the private/business sector.
Wildly over paying Teachers Union members in comparison to other States is the goal of the LBUSD.

Education takes a back seat. California is only a Blue State. All the Blue States are Union owned and suffer the same dismal out comes. Today will always be better than tomorrow in the Blue States.

Voters made the devils bargain when they voted for UnionCrat politicians or didn't bother to Vote to stop them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News L.B. could let the homeless sleep in their cars (Aug '09) 13 hr Ronald 114
News The Next $15 Minimum Wage: DC, Long Beach Or Ka... 15 hr Susan Blair 2
people in military bases in France in the sixties (Mar '07) 15 hr ddwgraves 3,318
Sex with dogs. Pros and Cons (Dec '10) Thu Mookie69 35
How come Hispanics get all the ILWU jobs? (Jul '12) Thu Eric J 88
News Rescuers working to find homes for 20 cats dump... (Aug '13) Aug 31 LB Citizen 3
whats it like to live in LBC; Does Sublime live... (Sep '11) Aug 31 Ronald 49
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages