Local Mexican Cockfight Ring Busted

Local Mexican Cockfight Ring Busted

Posted in the Long Beach Forum

Det Bukaw

Anaheim, CA

#1 Dec 22, 2012
A major raid on a cockfight in East Compton led to the detaining of 47 people, the confiscation of about $100,000 in bets and the discovery of nearly 60 birds Saturday morning, authorities said.

“It was a high-stakes cockfight,” said Aaron Reyes, deputy director of the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control. He said it was probably the largest one busted in Los Angeles County in several years.

Several other birds were already dead in the backyard of the house in the 14600 block of Castlegate Avenue and eight others later had to be euthanized because of bad wounds suffered in the fights, according to Reyes.

About 20 people managed to run away from animal control officers when the 8 a.m. raid began, Reyes said. But 47 others were detained and cited for misdemeanor charges of being a spectator, and some of those faced additional charges of being participants in a cockfight. If convicted, they could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine, he added.

The investigation into the fight and ownership of the house is to continue, and further charges -- including felony gambling ones -- could result.

The healthy birds were being taken to shelters, but veterinarians could not save the wounded birds and had to euthanize them.

After authorities received a tip about cockfighting at the house, it had been monitored for about a month before Saturday’s raid by county animal control officers, with assistance from local SPCA staffers.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/12...
activist

Anaheim, CA

#2 Dec 23, 2012
Hopefully, with the help of councilperson Gerrie Shipske, these raids not only be harder to pull off thanks to residents raising their own chickens at home, it will also finally open the door for Goat Fights.
Hector

La Mesa, CA

#3 Dec 26, 2012
¡Mi pollo es mas macho de su pollo!
The Vet

La Mesa, CA

#4 Dec 26, 2012
The cops brought 8 of these birds to me and said "Doc, can you save them?" and I'm thinking "f*** that, I just saved me a week's worth of lunch money at KFC," so I told the officer to leave the birds with me and I would take care of the situation.
Beto

La Mesa, CA

#5 Dec 26, 2012
Hey, I bet $100 on one of those roosters, the brown one with the red thing on top of his head. When can I get my money back?
Welcome Wagon

La Mesa, CA

#6 Dec 26, 2012
Attention, if you're thinking of spending $400,000 and up for one of those new condos in Compton . . . these are your future neighbors.
The Colonel

La Mesa, CA

#7 Dec 26, 2012
I get to legally kill billions of chickens, but these amateur wannabe killers, THEY MUST BE CRUSHED, BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
Poultry Einstein

La Mesa, CA

#8 Dec 26, 2012
Chickens are about the stupidest animals on the planet, so how do you teach them to get in a ring and fight another dumba** bird to the death? What I'm saying is, you (the human cock owner) must be pretty smart if you can pull this off. Why don't you move south and use your brainpower to help Mexico build its first thermonuclear weapon, or feed its citizens, something like that.
Bob Lewis

Long Beach, CA

#9 Dec 26, 2012
We must accept our choice to destroy our American culture in service to the Illegal Alien invasion. We didn't measure up to other citizens when we Voted and now must surrender to cockfights and donkeys roaming our neighborhoods. We vote to be a filthy third world hole rather than a proud American State.
Californians prefer to leave nothing of value to our kids. It's just how we roll.
Poultry Einstein

United States

#11 Jan 6, 2013
Anybody know of any good cockfighting places that are still open?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bicycle Rider Shot Dead on Pioneer Blvd 13 min Joel 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 15 hr TheReal411 21,182
people in military bases in France in the sixties (Mar '07) 23 hr TheSageh 3,686
Fre Rips Through a House in West Hills Caught o... Sep 19 Newsroom_LA 1
Deportations SOON??? Sep 17 Sancho 2
News New Norwalk townhome development officially sol... (Mar '17) Sep 16 Manuel 2
Norwalk HS swimming pool Sep 16 Manuel 1

Long Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages