people in military bases in France in...
Elisabeth Hacault

Gatineau, Canada

#1080 Feb 16, 2011
Hi my name is Elisabeth Hacault I'm trying to find my father is probably dead... but if I can find is family, I'll be the most happy women in the world. His name is Antoine or Anthony Matte and he was in the US military; a nurse in the Chapelle St-Mesmin, in Orleans, France between 1955-1958. How can I find him? or any kind of records that will tell me more about him? I even wrote to the US Departement of Veterans Affairs in Washington they said it's confidential informations. I don't know what to do, if someone can help me please do so.
JOHN LUCAS

Wilmerding, PA

#1082 Feb 17, 2011
JC Barnett wrote:
Anyone know the name of the street in front of Caserne Lariboisiere? I have tried Google Earth but things have change since 1958. I was with the 298th Signal SVC. Company attached to SHAPE.
JC:

Upon reading your question, I thought that I knew the answer; I would have said "Rue Gambetta". I looked at a map of on the "official" Avon website, and Rue Gambetta "begins/ends" at the border between Fontainbleau and Avon, at the intersection of "Rue Gambetta" and "Rue de la Charite", and also where Camp two walls of Caserne Lariboisiere intersect (and also the location of the Bar/Tabac).

According to a map of Fontainebleau, the road that runs along the front gate of Caserne Lariboisiere is "Avenue du Marechal de Villars" (and continues as Rue Gambetta starting at Avon).

This brings back many memories, as I remember my many walks and bike rides to school (1st through 9th grade). As we lived in Avon, my room at our family's apartment overlooked Rue Gambetta (and only after all these years do I find out the name of the street in front of the Caserne, prompted by your question).

http://www.maplandia.com/france/ile-de-france...

http://www.avon77.com/plan.php

James Meriochaud

Thiénans, France

#1083 Feb 17, 2011
Norman Gardner wrote:
Does anyone rememer the french citizens and american soldiers that worked at the ECP, on Bussac Post, during the early 1960's. If so, give a shout.
Bonjour Monsieur Norman GARDNER,
Yes, I used to work for the US Army Bussac-Forêt till 1962 as a French Local National-(a young man at that time)- as an Office Clerk "If I do remember,it was for the ECP Whse Supply, right next to the MP Gate and accross the Class-VI Store" - my direct French Supervisor was a Mr CANTE and the Officer in charge was a 1Lt BLAIR. I was in Bussac Forêt end of January.......what a change.
Bob Gaudio

United States

#1084 Feb 17, 2011
Elisabeth Hacault wrote:
Hi my name is Elisabeth Hacault I'm trying to find my father is probably dead... but if I can find is family, I'll be the most happy women in the world. His name is Antoine or Anthony Matte and he was in the US military; a nurse in the Chapelle St-Mesmin, in Orleans, France between 1955-1958. How can I find him? or any kind of records that will tell me more about him? I even wrote to the US Departement of Veterans Affairs in Washington they said it's confidential informations. I don't know what to do, if someone can help me please do so.
Elisabeth, along with the information Roger gave you, you can check with the Denver, CO Library to see if the can send you a copy of the obituary the have for an Anthony M Matte. You can see the citation here, http://history.denverlibrary.org/research/den...

Here's the link to the library. Call or email them, and let us know what you find.

Bob Gaudio
Bob Gaudio

United States

#1085 Feb 17, 2011
Elisabeth Hacault wrote:
Elisabeth,

Link to the Denver, CO Library.
http://history.denverlibrary.org/research/den...
Jean-Jacques

Orléans, France

#1086 Feb 17, 2011
Elisabeth Hacault wrote:
Try this link dedicated to the american hospital of Chapelle St Mesmin, maybe someone can help you.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187129-...

Good luck.
Nancy

Schertz, TX

#1087 Feb 18, 2011
kevin conklin wrote:
oh,boy! been soo long! but remember moving from nyc to fountainebleau in oct. 1961 and lived there till jan. 1964. my uncle,who took my bro' and i in worked in a chateau.i was 8yrs. and 10 yrs.old.don't have a clue what the forts or bases name was.but remember all different nationalities at our apartment.like a dummy,i knew 2 guys at the phone co. i worked for who were also there,but later than i.and never asked what the name of it was.and becky bandy! my first gf!also the firecrackers they had there! "40-francers", strikers,and the slaughterhouse across the street from our apartments.if ya'll can help in some way, i would sure appreciate it and thanks!
I lived in the same apartments. I remember the slaughter house. I think that I also remember the name Becky Bandy. I went to the American School there. Mrs. Bednarski was one of my teachers. Ithink Mrs. McAllister was also a teacher.
Nancy

Schertz, TX

#1088 Feb 18, 2011
I lived in the same apartments. I remember the slaughter house. I think that I also remember the name Beck Bany. I went to the American School there. I had Mrs. McAllister and Mrs. Bednarski as teachers.
Nancy

Schertz, TX

#1089 Feb 18, 2011
kevin conklin wrote:
oh,boy! been soo long! but remember moving from nyc to fountainebleau in oct. 1961 and lived there till jan. 1964. my uncle,who took my bro' and i in worked in a chateau.i was 8yrs. and 10 yrs.old.don't have a clue what the forts or bases name was.but remember all different nationalities at our apartment.like a dummy,i knew 2 guys at the phone co. i worked for who were also there,but later than i.and never asked what the name of it was.and becky bandy! my first gf!also the firecrackers they had there! "40-francers", strikers,and the slaughterhouse across the street from our apartments.if ya'll can help in some way, i would sure appreciate it and thanks!
Wasn't her name Mona Rebecca Bandy?
Norman Gardner

Brooklyn, NY

#1090 Feb 18, 2011
James Meriochaud wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonjour Monsieur Norman GARDNER,
Yes, I used to work for the US Army Bussac-Forêt till 1962 as a French Local National-(a young man at that time)- as an Office Clerk "If I do remember,it was for the ECP Whse Supply, right next to the MP Gate and accross the Class-VI Store" - my direct French Supervisor was a Mr CANTE and the Officer in charge was a 1Lt BLAIR. I was in Bussac Forêt end of January.......what a change.
I have not been back, although I wanted to, I had a great time while there. It was my first time in a different country, and learned a lot about how to happily co -exist with others. It is one of the best experiences of my life. I looked up the army post on google and learned that it is now a prison. I dont know what to say, other than I am surprised that it is. You are correct, in your memory that the ECP was neat the MP gate. It was on the south post, the billets was on the north post. There is a lot you can probably help me remember. Please keep in touch. If on this site, my email address is: [email protected] Either site, Ihope to hear from you again. soon, if possible.
Nancy

Schertz, TX

#1091 Feb 18, 2011
Ann Picheloup Ray wrote:
I was born and raised in Fontainebleau and went to Junior High 65/66 and then went to PAHS for my freshman year until they closed in 1967. My father was military and spent 2o years in Fontainebleau. I was very fortunate to be raised there by an American father and Franch mother. My last few years of high school were spent at Ft. Dix, New Jersey where my father retired when I graduated in 1970 and decided to move to Shape Belgium and they have not been back since. I have been to Fontainebleau a few times over the years and everything is still the same. Still beautiful and full of good memories.
This message is for any of the Army brats that lived and went to school in Fontainebleau from the 50's until the closing in 1967. Also to any of the soldiers who knew all of us Army brats as we did hang around with them a lot.
I hope someone reads this and will remember.
Ann Ray p Picheloup
I graduated from HS in 1971 and went to school in Fontainebleau for 4th - 6th grades. So we are about the same age.My dad worked for NATO. We lived in the International Apts. When we arrived in France and left France, we stayed in Hotel Napoleon. Mrs. Bednarski was one of my teachers.
Nancy

Schertz, TX

#1092 Feb 18, 2011
Thanks - Terry Boote wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Terry,
Thanks for you tip.
I searched and finally located the Caserne at the end of Caserne street. "Imagine that!"
When I look at the aerial view, parts of the Post look as I remember but I can't reconcile other parts with the memories of the 10 year old boy in my mind.
I have memories of the Elementary School & Junior High which do not appear to be there. I seem to remember the Bowling Alley being across the street from the Movie Theater but I can't locate these buildings. Likewise the NCO club where we would go once a month or so and the Library.
Could you give me any help locating these buildings from the aerial view? Do you have any pictures of the Post? I would really appreciate any help you can give with the layout of the Post.
Regards,
Jim
Do not know where this communication begins but this sounds like the base in Fontainbleau. Is it?
Nancy

Schertz, TX

#1093 Feb 18, 2011
John Lucas wrote:
Our family was stationed at Caserne Lariboisiere (Fontainebleau, France) from 1951 to 1965. My father, Walter Lucas, DA civilian, worked at the post engineers. I attended Fontainebleau American school from 1st grade (1958)to 9th (1966). Mr. LeBrun was the school principal. We lived nearby the small village of AVON (halfway between Caserne Lariboisiere and Camp Guynemer, AFCENT). After the school day, I worked at the commissary, as a bag boy, for tips. In 1966 we moved to Bad Kreuznach, Germany. Does anyone remember Mr. Davis, history teacher, circa 1965-66?
I remember Mr. LeBrun. He was the principal (4th-6th grade) when I was there (early 1960s). Later as an adult, I was teaching in Augsburg and Mr. LeBrun was still in the DOD education system (early 1980's). I meet him when he came to visit the school in Augsburg.
We lived in Avon for a short while and then moved to the International Apts. My dad was in the Air Force.

Since: Mar 10

United States

#1094 Feb 19, 2011
Thanks John you knew the answer "Avenue du Marechal de Villars" I was stationed in the small caserne with the seven buildings and a small area in the center. Now I have to find the Chateau where I worked. Again thanks.

JCB
James MERIOCHAUD

Lyon, France

#1095 Feb 19, 2011
Norman Gardner wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not been back, although I wanted to, I had a great time while there. It was my first time in a different country, and learned a lot about how to happily co -exist with others. It is one of the best experiences of my life. I looked up the army post on google and learned that it is now a prison. I dont know what to say, other than I am surprised that it is. You are correct, in your memory that the ECP was neat the MP gate. It was on the south post, the billets was on the north post. There is a lot you can probably help me remember. Please keep in touch. If on this site, my email address is: [email protected] Either site, Ihope to hear from you again. soon, if possible.
Bonjour ,

Thanks for your prompt answer. I probably met you once during your duties with the ECP's activities // the ECP was located in two differents areas : one by the MP Gate and the Main ECP Offices by the Air Field near the commissary and the Polnish Billets area. I went there this last January....most of the buildings "Ex. the ECP Whse Bld is still there", but across the national French road crossing the base, there is now a French County Jail. Here is my E-Mail: [email protected] Hope to hear from you soon for more detail exchanges. James
Norman Gardner

Brooklyn, NY

#1096 Feb 21, 2011
I am still trying to locate some of the men of Hq. Co. Bussac post, 1960 thru 1962. If you were there, say something. The guys from depot barracks are welcome to respond, too. also, the guys from the MP Detatchment. we all mingled.
charlieblute

Beverly, MA

#1097 Feb 22, 2011
For those of you that had any visits to Fontenet Ordnance Depot in the "old days", the place became an industrial park, and is now going to be transformed into a French Prison.
I recently came in touch with Freddy Snyder who was with the 83rd Engineer Battalion, and John Gibb from the band Brian Howard and the Silhouettes (they played the EM Club during the summer of 1961). I have recently put up some names of soldiers who where stationed at Fontenet on this page. www.apo259FontenetFrance.wetpaint.com
Go there, some pictures some information. Maybe, you might see someone you know... Good luck.
robert fischer

San Rafael, CA

#1098 Feb 23, 2011
Philippe wrote:
I'm looking for American citizens who have lived in military bases in France up to the sixties. I'd like to listen to their memories, possibly see some old pics. If I can get in touch with a sufficent amount of persons, I'd like to write a book about these specific circunstances.
Looking forward to hear from you
Sincerely,
Philippe
phillippe, i lived in orleans 1960-2 and in verdun 1962-3. e mail [email protected]
robert fischer

San Rafael, CA

#1099 Feb 23, 2011
phillippee...in orleans 1960-2 and verdun 1963.
Jesus Santos

Washington, DC

#1100 Feb 23, 2011
Hi
My father was stationed in Poitiers from 1962-1964. We lived in the Military housing in Bellejouanne and attended school in Chaoulons. I remember venturing out into the woods behind the housing area,playing with the gypsy kids. being a cub scout in den 7 pack 299. I remeber Nov. 22, 1963 waiting in line at the Post Theater, everyone hooked on the news from Dallas, Texas,coming from the transistor radios. I remember the Post Commander coming in right after the Colors and informing all that our President had passed away and that all active duty personnel were to report for duty immediately after taking their families home. What a sad weekend. All in all it was a great place and I did a lot of growing up there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pathetic Wed Problem Solver 2
News Suspect in '87 Arizona murder arrested in LB (Aug '09) Wed Tom Rodgers 52
News Whittier Courthouse to reopen in January 2018 Jun 20 Whazzup 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jun 19 Fitus T Bluster 20,945
News Let's share memories of long-gone cafes (Aug '08) Jun 13 Yumm 67
News Successful Harbor College gang program to be ex... (Jun '10) Jun 12 Theresa moreno 18
sonya santa cruz (Mar '14) Jun 12 Gscheun0617 6

Long Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages