people in military bases in France in...
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2914 Sep 23, 2013
Mateo, You want pictures? You need to send your email address.

johnqbeard@gmail.com
Butch Wester

Jasper, FL

#2915 Sep 23, 2013
John and Mateo,

I was at Camp Des Loges '63 to '66, HQ USEUCOM Comm Center. I would also be interested in any pictures you may have. I have very few, if any, sadly. butchwester@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Butch
John Beard wrote:
Mateo, You want pictures? You need to send your email address.
johnqbeard@gmail.com
dan graves

Laughlin, NV

#2916 Sep 23, 2013
in 1963/4 i was with the 22nd transportation company (car) and drove staff cars all around the paris area, often to camp des loges. i would really like to see any pictures anyone has of any military bases from the paris area. was anyone ever in the huge cave in the st. germaine area? that was the site of a huge military readiness exercise called SHAPE-EX. i think it took place in late '63. if anyone is willing to send pictures or has comments or questions, my email address is ddwgraves@hotmail.com thanks.
Harvey Martin

Clearwater, FL

#2917 Sep 23, 2013
My dad, Maj. James H. Martin, Jr. was stationed at NATO from 1956-60 in Fontainebleau, France. I was 12 years old when we arrive. I went to school at Caserne Lariboisiere for 6th grade. My teacher was Miss Pelligi (sp). We lived "on the economy" in nearby Bois-le-Roi. I went to french public school for 7th grade, then to Sainte Aspais, a french catholic boarding school in Fontainebleau for 8th. I returned to Lariboisiere for 9th grade. We used to go to the army base for shopping at the commissary, PX, the hospital and church. My two sisters and I were deeply influenced by our experiences in France. I have been back a couple of times and saw our old house, the Caserne and of course the Chateau de Fontainebleau. Would love to hear from the Viteks, the Collins', the Ferrari's and anyone else who live there.
MATEO TREVINO JR

Laredo, TX

#2918 Sep 23, 2013
John and Butch,

Thanks for the info, my email is mtrevjr@sbcglobal.net. I do not have any pictures to share with you. I really am sorry that I did not take any pictures. I took it for granted that I would be there forever. When I did decide to take pictures it was already too late.
Sheila Brautigam

Decatur, GA

#2919 Sep 24, 2013
Father Errico lived the last days of his life in Cape Cod, Massachusetts - not far from Debbie & Adam. He passed away several years ago. Helen Bivins has passed away and I talked and corresponeded with Thomas several years ago.
MERCIER jean Bordeaux wrote:
Elizabeth Reinert Lexington, KY Aug 28, 2011
Hello! My name is Elizabeth Reinert (nee Bellville.) I was born at the US Army Hospital in Bussac, APO 215, France (Chte-Mme) on August 23, 1960. My father was SP5 Hoyt T. Bellville of the 574th Ordnance Company. My father, my mother, Rosey Mae Taylor Bellville and older sister, Sheila, and I lived in Blaye Housing in Blaye (Gironde. I was baptized on September 10, 1960 at the Sister's Convent in Blaye, France. The priest was Maurice J. Errico, and my godparents were Thomas E. and Helen M. Bivens. I have a letter that was sent to me by Robert J. Fleming, Jr., Brigadier General, US Army, Commanding of the US Army Theater Army Support Command, Europe welcoming me to TASCOM. Does anyone out there remember these people? My parents have passed - my mother in March 1996 and my father in September 1999. Thanks!
Hi,
I have records of Blaye, the city was called Cité PATTON.
My book is about family and BLAYE YAZELL.
Sheila Brautigam

Decatur, GA

#2920 Sep 24, 2013
Oops think I messed this up! Father Errico lived the last days of his life in Cape Code, Massachusetts - not far from Debbie & Adam. He passed away several years ago. Helen Bivins has passed away ad I talked and corresponded
with Thomas several years ago.
Josiane

Lexington, SC

#2921 Sep 25, 2013
Looking for People in Military Base in Fontainebleau, France in the late fifties.
Robert Sklar

South Holland, IL

#2922 Sep 26, 2013
Butch Wester wrote:
<quoted text>
If ever there was a ship that deserved to be sunk, it was that one, given my experiences on it. Thanks for the info.
I was a member of the 385th General Dispensary at the US Army General Depot, Ingrandes, France from August 1960 through August 1962. I went to Europe on the USNS Upshur, and came home on the USNS Buckner. On the Upshur, I traveled in the hold, a real experience. Coming home on the Buckner I had a job in the ship's hospital, so I rated a private stateroom with a shower in the head, which is a completely different experience from the hold of a troop ship.

Our doctors were Captains Richard Dunn and John Thomas. My first administrative officer was CWO William Pugh. He was replaced by Lt. Ward Beecher DuVall, III, of Atlanta, Georgia. The First Sergeant for most of my tour was SFC James L. Ramsay of Batavia, New York, one of the finest people I have ever met.

I would be interested in communicating with other Ingrandes residents of that period.

Robert Sklar
reuvensklar@mail.com
Tom Johnson

Fritch, TX

#2923 Sep 27, 2013
Robert Sklar wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a member of the 385th General Dispensary at the US Army General Depot, Ingrandes, France from August 1960 through August 1962. I went to Europe on the USNS Upshur, and came home on the USNS Buckner. On the Upshur, I traveled in the hold, a real experience. Coming home on the Buckner I had a job in the ship's hospital, so I rated a private stateroom with a shower in the head, which is a completely different experience from the hold of a troop ship.
Our doctors were Captains Richard Dunn and John Thomas. My first administrative officer was CWO William Pugh. He was replaced by Lt. Ward Beecher DuVall, III, of Atlanta, Georgia. The First Sergeant for most of my tour was SFC James L. Ramsay of Batavia, New York, one of the finest people I have ever met.
I would be interested in communicating with other Ingrandes residents of that period.
Robert Sklar
reuvensklar@mail.com
Robert,
Come on over to our Poitiers Group http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/caserne_ab... We have medics from Poitiers during that period, plus men from Ingrandes, but not sure we have any medics from Ingrandes during that time. Lots of pictures, however. We would like you to come aboard too. We have folks from all over France.

Since: Apr 11

Houston, TX

#2924 Sep 27, 2013
Doug Donnell wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm the one that took those pictures way back in the day (they're posted on my troop website -- I'm still involved in Scouting as an adult leader). I've tried to find the exact location of the old Scout camp on the map, but can't figure it out -- too much has changed over the years. I also posted some memories of Camp Cazaux on another website ( http://dreuxairbasefrancememories.org/ )for anyone that's interested (in the "memories of Dreux" section.
Doug,

Thanks for the link the Dreux Air Base site is awesome! It brings back a lot of fond memories - especially reading about your scouting experience.

From write up I am sure that my summer of 1966 camping was not at Camp Cazaux.

Thanks for sharing.
Jim
Jerry C

Pinehurst, NC

#2925 Sep 27, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Carl,I did a bit of researching and my father was assigned to the 84th Transportation Co,53rd transportation Bn USAREUR ? does that make sense or ring a bell?If I recall correctly he used to take us kids to the armed forces day celebration on the base at Toul,I do recall riding in an APC and getting to fire an M-14 with blanks of course.We arrived in country approx. mid year '62.Our first "accommodation" was some dive french hotel with a community bathroom and tub down the hall,we hid our hot plate on the window ledge as the "madame" did not allow cooking in the room.Next was a 4 story house on the economy then finally to Regina Village.I was at the hospital at jeanne d'arc because my appendix decided it wanted to act up,they shipped me to Metz or Verdun(can't remember for sure) to have it removed.His post was there at jeanne d'arc.Being so young I don't recall anything about Polish guards but I'll bet my mom will so I'll call her and ask if she remembers anything concerning them.I believe the exchange was 5 francs for a dollar,does that sound right to you?
Yes, there was a 84th Trans Co at Jeanne D Arc. I was stationed there in 1966 and was caught in the pullout of France. You mentioned Polish guards. Yes, they were assigend to our post. The Polish guards also had a small Polish Club. We would go in and buy a Polish sausage sandwich and a good German beer.
Kirsch

Kimberly, WI

#2926 Sep 27, 2013
Bob Gaudio wrote:
<quoted text>
Fontainebleau, FR APO 09011
Did you get married in Fontainbleau ?
Kirsch

Kimberly, WI

#2927 Sep 27, 2013
Harvey Martin wrote:
My dad, Maj. James H. Martin, Jr. was stationed at NATO from 1956-60 in Fontainebleau, France. I was 12 years old when we arrive. I went to school at Caserne Lariboisiere for 6th grade. My teacher was Miss Pelligi (sp). We lived "on the economy" in nearby Bois-le-Roi. I went to french public school for 7th grade, then to Sainte Aspais, a french catholic boarding school in Fontainebleau for 8th. I returned to Lariboisiere for 9th grade. We used to go to the army base for shopping at the commissary, PX, the hospital and church. My two sisters and I were deeply influenced by our experiences in France. I have been back a couple of times and saw our old house, the Caserne and of course the Chateau de Fontainebleau. Would love to hear from the Viteks, the Collins', the Ferrari's and anyone else who live there.
I knew the Ferrari family very well, don't know if it was the same family but probably was. Deno, Gloria, Teziana, and Paula, Elvia and Adriana married and lived in Chicago. In France they lived in Bourron/Marlotte.
Jacob1940@msn.com
Jerry C

Pinehurst, NC

#2928 Sep 28, 2013
I was stationed in France the first time from 1961 to 1964.I was assigned to the 55th Transportation Company 1st platoon. It was near La Ferte Alais.
We were at a petroleum tank farm called B Farm. We were called Melun Terminal District and part of PDC which was the Petroleum Distribution Command.I married a beautiful French girl from Longueville, France. My 2nd tour was short. I was assigned to the 84th Transportation Co. in Toul, France We were at Jeanne D Arc caserne . I was part of Operation Freloc when we were kicked out of France. I finished my tour in K-town, Germany with the 37th Transportation Gp. I would love to hear any stories that you can share about the two units that I have mentioned. Also, anyone remember the 543rd Engineer Company stationed at D Farm near La Ferte Alais, France
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2929 Sep 28, 2013
For Mateo Trevino, Jr.

My email posts to you appear to be non delivered. Please email me directly if you have not recieved the pictures and I'll retransmit. johnqbeard@gmail.com
Jerry C

Pinehurst, NC

#2930 Sep 28, 2013
Jim Best wrote:
<quoted text>
Doug,
Thanks for the link the Dreux Air Base site is awesome! It brings back a lot of fond memories - especially reading about your scouting experience.
From write up I am sure that my summer of 1966 camping was not at Camp Cazaux.
Thanks for sharing.
Jim
Jim, were you stationed with the 543rd Engineers D Farm La ferte alais ?
Doug Donnell

Bowie, MD

#2931 Sep 28, 2013
Jeannie Conway wrote:
<quoted text>
Nancy, that you mentioned it I vaguely remember friends living in trailers but were not close to us. I would love the link. Try this email: jjraconway@gmail.com. Thanks for remembering, Jeannie
A number of us have been posting photos and info about Dreux AB. It includes pictures of the trailers and lots more. Check out dreuxairbasefrancememories.org

Doug
gary tidd

Monclova, Mexico

#2932 Sep 28, 2013
DAVID wrote:
I was ststioned in Maison Fort,76Th transportation
company ( Medium Truck)(CARGO ) APO US FORCES,,From 1961 to 1963.I'm 73yrs old now.I have many memories from that era.
(Maison Fort ) is not there any more.All wooded
area.Harbor Barrack is still there.I was there 2yrs ago.The (Cocern)if thats the way it's spelled,
is still there.THE BUILDINGS that is.
My CO was James D.Howard 1st TC commanding.
ANY ONE OUT THERE !!,,, BEEN THERE ?.
I made sargeant in Germany.I re-uped in Poitier
and was shipped to the U.S.From fort lewis to Germany..I went back to France to visit the old
Maison Fort COMMPANY co.Was he surprised when I showed UP with MY
french wife that he would'nt approve with papers.
BUT ALL IS NEW IN FRANCE NOW.TEARFULLY YOURS
Sgt DC Montoya.Ra all the way.Even at my age.OLD
SOLDIERS NEVER DIE.THEY JUST FADE AWAY.....
I was in the 76 truck co from 1962 to 1964 had a lot of fun there
but never got to go back, and all the pictures I had has be lost
of a long time, I am 67 now how time fly's by lol. at that time
I think our CO was cap Toner. glad to see some of us are still
around. think about a lot.
Gary
ps get a chance email me at gary13131999@yahoo.com
toDavid Cochran

Rainier, WA

#2933 Sep 28, 2013
"Jerry C"
What I have to contribute may not add much to the thread but I was also stationed at LaFerteAlais from Feb 57 till the fall of 58 when I transferred to HQ Fontainebleau. All of us were Quartermaster and the basis for us to be there was to oversee the French workers. The pipeline had only recently been completed. The only housing that we had were the guard houses at the four tank farms and before the mess hall was built in 58 we ate on the economy i.e., we were given a station allowance which added up to a pocket full of change if you spent wisely. My first bunk was at the B farm guard house, and my last was at D farm. It must have been interesting to have a large group of GIs in the area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Commercials 1 hr kdz1 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Budv44 21,383
News After 54 years, it's the end for DeMille Middle... (Jun '10) 9 hr Budv44 51
News Mel Gibson's Remarks In The Spotlight After Arrest (Jul '06) 12 hr andet1987 66
News Man dies after 18-story plunge in Long Beach (Jan '10) Sun toryc 43
News 1 dead, 2 injured in Norwalk shooting Jan 20 tellinitlikeitis 1
Judge Deborah B Andrews being sued (Oct '11) Jan 17 RIPMGZE777 45

Long Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages