Hi AL.

I left the 257TH in May 64. Would like to know who was still there
from the early 60's. I just sent you a e-mail...miss read about you
not arriving at CDL till 65.

Walt Bollech
wtbolmira@aol.com
Nachi Al Cobe wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Walt, Sorry I just came across this site. I was a switchboard operator who was TDY at Camp Des Loges from Dreux(246th Signal) in 1965. I remember Madame Moga and Paul well. There was also a German national who was a tech named Muller. I remember loving a few of the operators named Chantel, Martine, Maria and Christine. I'm trying to locate a fellow named Wendell Arthur who married a girl from France and was transferred to CDL when the 293rd from Fountainbleu was transferred. Being 2013, the search engines are much better these days so I can usually track people in a few hours. If I can't find them then I assume that they may have passed away.
I am Nachi Al Cobe more known as "Al".
Jacqueline Dellario

Exeter, NH

#2662 Apr 15, 2013
My son Frank was born in la Chapelle SSt Mesmin in 1963. We lived down the street at la Petite Espère.. I am from France & all my cousins are from south of Orleans as I am.
Roger Frost

New Zealand

#2663 Apr 15, 2013
Jim Blackburn wrote:
<quoted text>
Woke up many mornings at camp Bussac to the sound of country music on the radio. DJ was Tom Daniels. "Good morning and a whole bunch of bonjours to ya'll. This is your old friend T O M Tom Daniels commin' your way out of AFN Portiers."
I too enjoyed the country music from AFN as a teenage boy in southern England. Even got to visit good old T.O.M. Tom Daniels in Orleans and sit in on his afternoon show. Often wondered what became of him when he left the forces? Recently managed to find a couple of his Country Express shows transcibed to CD from an internet source. Sound just as good now as then!
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2664 Apr 16, 2013
Roger Frost wrote:
<quoted text>
I too enjoyed the country music from AFN as a teenage boy in southern England. Even got to visit good old T.O.M. Tom Daniels in Orleans and sit in on his afternoon show. Often wondered what became of him when he left the forces? Recently managed to find a couple of his Country Express shows transcibed to CD from an internet source. Sound just as good now as then!
When I arrived at Poitiers in 1963 I was country all the way, so enjoyed the Tom Daniels show. However, I was stuck with a bunch of guys in the barracks who only listened to stuff like The Animals, the Righteous Brothers, etc. I was out numbered (groan), but still had my Hank Williams, Buck Owens, and George Jones Albums (g). http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caserne_abovill...
Tom
Thomas Guinee

Roselle, NJ

#2665 Apr 18, 2013
Tom Guinee 269th Signal Orleans is once again searching for members of the Photo Unit during the period June '63 to Dec '64. In particular decendants of SSgt. Edward Traylor. I saw a message from his son Donald on another site maisonfort.com .Sorry to read of his passing, but I would very much like to hook up with Donald or any other member of the family.
There are others I am interested in hearing from, Dave Cook, Barry Janks, Marion Creath,LWR's Suzanne Moore. Guy Goavec, Gilberte (GiGi) Voisin.
I can be reached at fguinee@hotmail.com
John Thomas

Azusa, CA

#2666 Apr 21, 2013
I was an army dependent in Rochefort from spring 59 to spring 62. My father was the skipper of an LCU. It was used during the filming of The Longest Day. I attended the 7th and 8th grade in Rochefort and the first half of the 9th in La Rochelle. I was the SPL of my Boy Scout troup. We used to have camp outs at a big chateaux. We would load into a deuce and a half, pick up a bunch of C rations, the head to the camp with our scout master following in his Mini Cooper. We went to a big Jamboree in southern England crossing on the all night ferry from St Malo.
PAUL LEFEBVRE

Albuquerque, NM

#2667 Apr 22, 2013
Christine wrote:
I am looking for childhood friends I made while living in France. Dad was a Sgt working in the medical field. We lived in a small out lying housing area a distance from the base. Chalons area,maybe. Looking for Beryl Landry or Harriet or Robert Mornestien.
I remember A small base close by by the name of Vatry.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Christine
So nice to see you here, I think you lived across the street from me in Citi-Americain! I lived next door to Beryl! Hung out sometimes with her brother Woody. I remember Harriet too, lived around the corner. Sorry I can't help you with thier locations, but it is really cool to find some one from there. How cool is the net? You were correct about the base name Vatry is correct. Known as Chalons-Vatry Air Base, that was the closest base to us. The base at Vitry-Le-Francois was a larger base and where your father most likly worked, and we went to school. most of the posts on here are kind of old so I really hope you get this. Would love to hear back from you if you do get it. Good luck in connecting with Beryl & Harriet. Tell them I said hello if you do!!
The city where our housing area was located was Chalons-Sur-Marne.
PAUL LEFEBVRE

Albuquerque, NM

#2668 Apr 23, 2013
James Francomacaro wrote:
I lived in citi americain in Chalons from 1961 thru 1963, and attended school in Vitry for 2 years and then one year in Verdun. I remember Beryl Landry and her brother Woody who was my age. I also remember Harriet Marmonstein and her parents as well, Dorothy and Major Marmonstein. By any chance are you Sgt. Smart's daughter? Sgt. Smart was a medic, who I later heard was wounded or hurt Vietnam. You can contact me at jfrancomac@aol.com, or through this bulletin board which I just found today.

Hey James I lived across the street from you in Citi-Americain, next door to Woody & Beryl, Harriet lived around the corner. You may remember my brother John a little better than me he was closer to your age. But I did hang around w/you guys sometimes! Cool to see you here kind of neat, brings back some memories!
emory or charlie lawrence

Leonardtown, MD

#2669 Apr 23, 2013
anyone from phalsbourgh afb 1962 to 1964.email e3lawbar@aol.com
J Francomacaro

Germantown, TN

#2670 Apr 23, 2013
To Paul Lefebvre

Indeed I remember you. Your brother John was my roommate at Verdun until your family rotated back to the US about halfway through our freshman year. How is John after all these years? My 3 years in France were some of the best in my life (it must have been being aged 12 thru 14). I've been back to Chalons several times through the years and would go back again if I had the chance. Citi Americaine is now totally French housing and looks different to a degree due to additions made to the houses. Do you remember when you and John got French 10-speed bicycles? I was jealous because I was stuck with a Sears single-speed fat tire bike with coaster brakes.
PAUL LEFEBVRE

Albuquerque, NM

#2671 Apr 23, 2013
J Francomacaro wrote:
To Paul Lefebvre
Indeed I remember you. Your brother John was my roommate at Verdun until your family rotated back to the US about halfway through our freshman year. How is John after all these years? My 3 years in France were some of the best in my life (it must have been being aged 12 thru 14). I've been back to Chalons several times through the years and would go back again if I had the chance. Citi Americaine is now totally French housing and looks different to a degree due to additions made to the houses. Do you remember when you and John got French 10-speed bicycles? I was jealous because I was stuck with a Sears single-speed fat tire bike with coaster brakes.
Hey James (didn't you go by the nick name "Butch"
John is doing fine, I'll let him know that we have made contact. Yes I remember the bikes, but you need not have been jealous. Once back in the states it was impossible to get parts or get them worked on, and yeah they broke! Nobody work with metric back then. They just shruged and said "French!?!?!" "buy an American bike we can fix them". LOL But they were cool while they lasted! I think Johns lasted the longest, most likely because he started driving before it broke, but I put a lot of miles on mine! Have you heared from anyone else from "Citi-Americain"? Let me know!!!
Thomas Guinee

Linden, NJ

#2672 Apr 24, 2013
Jacqueline,I have seen your posts several times on various sites. I thought I would try to contact you to perhaps find out if you recall some of the people I remember.
You can read my 1st message to topix #2439 on Dec 29,2012. there are 2 others,#2461 and most recently #2665 on April 18,2013.
My wife Francoise is from Fleury-les-Aubrais on Rue Bannier not far from Coligny Caserne.
I read on one of your posts that you worked at Maison Fort.I wonder if you recall a Suzanne Moore.She was my secretary at the Film & Equipment Exchange in Maison Fort.She was a French National from LaRochelle.She married an American,but he left her in France with a little girl.
There are many other things we could share,but let's start with this
Merci en advance, Tom
Carine

Beloeil, Canada

#2673 Apr 24, 2013
Bonjour
Je recherche mon pere biologique Dimitri Perez. Il etait basé a Harbor Barracks, Orleans, France. Il a quitté la France en decembre 1965. Je cherche des photos pouvant m'aider a l'identifier. Il a aussi souvent ete danser au bal organisépar la croix rouge a Orleans. Vous pouvez me contacter sur mon adresse email.
Carine Thevret Leinenweber
J Francomacaro

Germantown, TN

#2674 Apr 25, 2013
PAUL LEFEBVRE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey James (didn't you go by the nick name "Butch"
John is doing fine, I'll let him know that we have made contact. Yes I remember the bikes, but you need not have been jealous. Once back in the states it was impossible to get parts or get them worked on, and yeah they broke! Nobody work with metric back then. They just shruged and said "French!?!?!" "buy an American bike we can fix them". LOL But they were cool while they lasted! I think Johns lasted the longest, most likely because he started driving before it broke, but I put a lot of miles on mine! Have you heared from anyone else from "Citi-Americain"? Let me know!!!
Paul,
You've got an excellent memory. Yes, my nickname then was Butch and still is to my siblings. Otherwise I go by Jim. What all have you and John been doing for these past 50 years? After coming back to the U.S. from France, we were stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO, then 1 year later Dad went to Vietnam and the rest of us returned to my mother's home of Memphis. After 1 year in Vietnam, Dad transferred to Ft. Lee, VA, where I graduated from H.S. After 4 different high schools in 4 years, I moved to Memphis to attend college and said I would never move again. And so far, I haven't although since retiring I stay on the go as much as money allows. Do you remember my sisters Pam, and the twins Cheryl and Sandra, or Steve my younger brother? Pam was 3 years younger than me. Also, do you remember the French girl that lived next to Citi Americain who regularly gave out candy (bonbons) to the American kids? I remember the adults speaking discretely that she had gotten pregnant by a GI. The last time I was in Chalons, I thought about stopping by what I believed was her house but that area is now much more built up and my French wasn't good enough to explain who I was looking for.
Jacqueline Dellario

Exeter, NH

#2675 Apr 25, 2013
My son was born a la Chappelle ST Mesmin in 1963 near Orléans 13 miles from the base Maison Fort. I worked at the base in the Printing Plant,where I met my husband . I was french ,from Beaugency, 30 miles from Orleans & my husband was in the base for 5 years. He was from Connecticut.
Thomas Guinee

Linden, NJ

#2676 Apr 25, 2013
Bonne Jour Jacqueline:
Please Regard My most recent Posting #2672 and the others I have posted to see my Orleans Connection.I would very much like to hear from you since our situations are from the same time and place. My recollections of lunch at the LWR Cantine in Maison Fort was worth a visit except for the smoke generated by the Gaulois or Gitane cigarettes.
Hoping To make a connection soon.
Amicalement: Tom Guinee
Leslie Aubrey

Keller, TX

#2677 Apr 28, 2013
Does anyone remember a lieutenant colonel who was stationed in Chateauroux around 1960 (he lived in Toutvent) named Richard (or possibly John) Clarke? I think he may also have been on the Sabres football team...
myron ives

Murray, KY

#2678 May 4, 2013
anyone remenber 76th or 1st truck co. at maison fort in Orleans France. trying to find some of the guys i was there with.
Jerrold Reich SP 4 39th

Stratford, WI

#2679 May 4, 2013
There was a stockade in Verdun. I arrived Nov 58,I was a prison chaser for 30 days. I don't remember much about it, but it was a fairly large stockade. A deserter named Powell was brought there in 59 or 60. Most of the prisoners were of minor offences. I had 4 of them for trash detail at Maginot.
rovjer2005@yahoo.com
Norman Gardner

Bronx, NY

#2680 May 5, 2013
Jerrold Reich SP 4 39th wrote:
There was a stockade in Verdun. I arrived Nov 58,I was a prison chaser for 30 days. I don't remember much about it, but it was a fairly large stockade. A deserter named Powell was brought there in 59 or 60. Most of the prisoners were of minor offences. I had 4 of them for trash detail at Maginot.
rovjer2005@yahoo.com
There was also a stockade at Braccone. Some guys from Bussac was sent there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Naughty pics Sat Balling51 1
L.B. could let the homeless sleep in their cars (Aug '09) Fri art in lbc 111
10 Facts About Homelessness Fri John 1
Straight into Compton: house prices soar as mur... Fri Jan 1
Long Beach man strangles cat meant to be gift t... Dec 24 Allen 1
Man Shot Tues Nite (Dec. 23) In NW North Long B... Dec 24 Ben 1
Bob Hope Christmas Dec 24 June 1

Winter Storm Watch for Los Angeles County was issued at December 28 at 1:27PM PST

Long Beach News Video

Long Beach Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Long Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Long Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Long Beach

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:42 pm PST