Michele Chesley

Bethlehem, PA

#2639 Mar 29, 2013
To Frawley Becker
I am so pleased that you remember my mother. Were she alive today, she would say "...well of course he does!" She died in '09 @ 93 yrs.(Don't tell her age to anyone.) I spoke with my sister today, and she remembers going with mother to the rehearsels for the play, chatting with friendly folks backstage and enjoying the energy and activity, and the foggy drives. She had longish hair, chestnut red, very pretty, would have been 17. She has boxes of Priscilla's things in her house, when we get up there later on in the year we will look for a program. We are all from Maine, Portland to be exact, although now I live north of Allentown. Bethlehem comes up, as the server is located there. Been to the museums in Philly, and Flyers games. Did you live in CDL or on the economy? Why did you go go Paris? I will use your email to send you my info. Anything you would have of mother I would love. OH and I think Alma was in my class at school. I vaugely remember her. Long blond hair, wore a ribbon to hold it back??? If she was who I remember we were in the 5th grade at Paris American Elementry School. Thank you so much for this time of memories of a fantastic childhood.
Al Boka

AOL

#2640 Apr 2, 2013
Mike Comito wrote:
Does anyone recall a drinking establishment just off Boulevard Montparnasse on a narrow street to the left (as you amble down the Boulevard from the Dome toward the Gare Montparnasse)? Unless I have this place confused with another ( a definite maybe or probably), it employed a bouncer that allowed demoiselles and Americans to enter but no Frenchmen. If I remember correctly (chances of this being slim and none) the bouncer's name was 'Joe' and he was shot by a Frenchman, who resented the entry policy, the weekend of March 7 and 8, 1960. I returned to the ZI on March 9. Went over on the Geiger, left January 9, 1957 (have not been on the open seas since those nine days ended at Bremerhaven). It was a bit of a kick chugging (it WAS the Geiger after all) past the Statue of Liberty as we left.
Mike,
Indeed,it was Bar La Boheme.
I arrived in Paris in December 1957 and shortly thereafter discovered La Boheme along with several other Paris night spots which us Orly people frequented.
On one, now forgotten, date in 1958 I met a girl there named Marie-Jeanne. We hit it off and eventually married in 1959. Our first child, a boy, was born in Jan. 1960 and a second, a girl, in Mar. 1961.
I suffered a misfortune in August 1961 when, returning to Paris from a vacation in Granville, I was involved in an accident near Bernay in which my wife was killed.
I have been back to France and especially Paris, many times and will never get it out of my system..nor would I want to.
Thomas Guinee

Roselle Park, NJ

#2641 Apr 4, 2013
I was a Sgt.with the 269th Signal Co in Orleans from April 1963 to Dec 1964.I recently read and responded to a posting by Donald Traylor on another site maisonforte.com . Donald is the son of Edward Traylor an NCO with the 269th Photo Section during that time.I am trying to touch base with anyone who may remember the family.
We shared many happy hours at the large rented house that the Traylors lived in on Boulevard Chateaudun two blocks from Coligny Caserne.
It would mean a great deal to me if I could gain contact with someone who knows or remembers the Traylors.
Tom Johnson

Seymour, TX

#2642 Apr 4, 2013
Thomas Guinee wrote:
I was a Sgt.with the 269th Signal Co in Orleans from April 1963 to Dec 1964.I recently read and responded to a posting by Donald Traylor on another site maisonforte.com . Donald is the son of Edward Traylor an NCO with the 269th Photo Section during that time.I am trying to touch base with anyone who may remember the family.
We shared many happy hours at the large rented house that the Traylors lived in on Boulevard Chateaudun two blocks from Coligny Caserne.
It would mean a great deal to me if I could gain contact with someone who knows or remembers the Traylors.
Thomas,
We have some Members who were at Orleans http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caserne_abovill... Richard Kretz was with the MPs there, but I don't know what years. Richard married a French girl and stayed in France for quite awhile, serving at several military Posts. I think Richard Jordan was another MP at Orleans. Probably several other Members, we have a large gang from many military Posts, Army and Air Force. Come on over and join us.
dan graves

Flagstaff, AZ

#2643 Apr 4, 2013
does anyone remember the sun club in paris?
christiane

Grenoble, France

#2644 Apr 5, 2013
look for photos of the bar " JOE OF MAINE "has chateauroux in france
christiane

Grenoble, France

#2645 Apr 5, 2013
look for photos of the bar " JOE DU MAINE " has chateauroux in france
Bill Casady

Bakersfield, CA

#2646 Apr 5, 2013
dan graves wrote:
does anyone remember the sun club in paris?
Oh, yes. I used to stay at a cut-rate hotel close to there when I was in Paris for a weekend. Liked the Sun Club, and got treated pretty well at the Hotel Bon Sejour. 1966-1967, Evreux AB.
Jim

Sterling Heights, MI

#2647 Apr 6, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Andy we lived there too during that time frame and went to the elementary school on base at jean d'arc.Was the American sub division called Regina Village by any chance?What grades were you in and what specific years were you guys there?We were stationed in France approx. 1962 until summer of '65.I don't remember right off hand any of my teachers names but I believe I might have some old report cards that would tell me.
I was in the 507 engr 1n 1962 thru 1964. Married a little French girl, still married for 50 years now.
Jim schneider

Sterling Heights, MI

#2648 Apr 6, 2013
I was stationed in Toul with the 507th engr in 1962 to 1964. Married a little French girl. Still married 50 years later. I loved the people.
herb sload

Harper, WV

#2649 Apr 6, 2013
looking for any one who had sgt roman for there sgt. at maison fort france 1960 had cpt jones got him kicked out got a 1st LT ranger for c.o. then any one remember that. contact me at herbsload@yahoo.com
Ray C Adams

Roseburg, OR

#2650 Apr 6, 2013
Hello Larry I also was in Leverdun/Soulac but it was in late 1955 and was shipped down to Captuex in 1956 we lived in tents and the camp was similiar to the movie Mash used to walk over to Soulac every weekend and drank a few beers if i remember correct the name of the place we drank at was Roberts
John Rieben

Palm Harbor, FL

#2651 Apr 7, 2013
Frawley. "The Women" was produced in Versailles as well.I remember picking up a large number of risers from rue Marbeuf,I think, and jerry rigging them into a stage set. Somewhat complicated and each individual scene was isolated with a spot light to achieve varied set locations. One very attractive officer's wife did the bath scene and, of course, we loved that.
Paul Gossard

United States

#2652 Apr 10, 2013
My father was stationed at Captieux from March 1959 through August 1962. His name was Sylester P Gossard and he was in charge of quartermaster supply. My mother and I were with him during those wonderful years. I played on the Captieux Bullets little league baseball team that traveled to other bases like Bussac, Fontenet, and Bracone. You can reach me at pgossard@bellsouth.net
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2653 Apr 10, 2013
I arrived at Camp des Loges[France, near Paris] in October, 1954.HQS Us European Command had recently relocated to CDL from the IG Farben Bldg in Frankfurt. The older guys were always talking about how much nicer the Farben Bldng was--CDL was still being constructed.

Can anyone out there tell me when the Eucom move from Farben to CDL was made and if the HQS troops were barracked in the Farben Bldng or elsewhere in Frankfurt?
Jacqueline Dellario

Exeter, NH

#2655 Apr 13, 2013
My older son was born at la Chapelle St Mesmin in 1963. I was french & married my husband near Orleans . We worked at the base Maison Fort & live at the american quaters " la Petite Espère" . We left in 1964 & I go back every 3 years or so to visit my cousins & one aunt.
To Daniel Wahlen, I like to know more about your mother being from where I am if you don't mind.
My email is jdellariocast@gmail.com
Nachi Al Cobe

Schererville, IN

#2656 Apr 14, 2013
I was in the 246th Signal Company (Dreux) from Dec 18, 1963 till June 27th, 1966. Spent alot of time TDY at the 275th Signal Company at Camp Des Loges and of course loved taking the bus to the Etoille and the the Metro to Pigalle. The Sun Club was a ball, just north of the Etoille. I remember it had a peephole where the doorperson would size you up before admitting you.
I was a switchboard operator and loved duty at Camp Des Loges as there were always beautiful girls to work with. I loved France and sorry that I missed many spots because spending too much time in Pigalle, or, did I not spend enough time there? Whatever!
I have located several that I was stationed with and am still seeking others. Several of the ones I'm still in touch with are Terry Sliger, Albert Perhach, Bob Hayhurst and Fred Prothero.
Nachi Al Cobe

Schererville, IN

#2657 Apr 14, 2013
Walt Bollech wrote:
<quoted text>
Monsieur Meriochaud,
Would you have known a Madame Morg, Supervisor of the switchboard operators and a telephone technician named Paul, both worked for the 257th Signal Co,building #503.
Merci,
Walt Bollech
Hi Walt, Sorry I just came across this site. I was a switchboard operator who was TDY at Camp Des Loges from Dreux(246th Signal) in 1965. I remember Madame Moga and Paul well. There was also a German national who was a tech named Muller. I remember loving a few of the operators named Chantel, Martine, Maria and Christine. I'm trying to locate a fellow named Wendell Arthur who married a girl from France and was transferred to CDL when the 293rd from Fountainbleu was transferred. Being 2013, the search engines are much better these days so I can usually track people in a few hours. If I can't find them then I assume that they may have passed away.
I am Nachi Al Cobe more known as "Al".
Pat Leblanc

Menifee, CA

#2658 Apr 14, 2013
Nachi Al Cobe wrote:
I was in the 246th Signal Company (Dreux) from Dec 18, 1963 till June 27th, 1966. Spent alot of time TDY at the 275th Signal Company at Camp Des Loges and of course loved taking the bus to the Etoille and the the Metro to Pigalle. The Sun Club was a ball, just north of the Etoille. I remember it had a peee where the doorperson would size you up before admitting you.
I was a switchboard operator and loved duty at Camp Des Loges as there were always beautiful girls to work with. I loved France and sorry that I missed many spots because spending too much time in Pigalle, or, did I not spend enough time there? Whatever!
I have located several that I was stationed with and am still seeking others. Several of the ones I'm still in touch with are Terry Sliger, Albert Perhach, Bob Hayhurst and Fred Prothero.
I too was in the 246th at Dreux in 1963. I was in crypto. I remember Sgt. "DOC" Holliday was my platoon sgt. I hung out with Tony Tamburo, Pete Ingram, Ron Kholer. I don't remember a lot of the guy's names. I can see them clearly in my head. I remember a Sgt Roscoe Burnett, warrant officer Tomlinson . Who was your platoon sgt.? I'm having a difficult time recognizing your name. The guy's names that you are in touch with, are vaguely familiar. Needless to say its only been 1/2 century. I tell my grand kids all the time that the time I spent in the army was some of the best years of my life, even though when going thru basic training I kept asking myself "what the hell have you got yourself into"
Nachi Al Cobe

Schererville, IN

#2660 Apr 14, 2013
Pat Leblanc wrote:
<quoted text>
I too was in the 246th at Dreux in 1963. I was in crypto. I remember Sgt. "DOC" Holliday was my platoon sgt. I hung out with Tony Tamburo, Pete Ingram, Ron Kholer. I don't remember a lot of the guy's names. I can see them clearly in my head. I remember a Sgt Roscoe Burnett, warrant officer Tomlinson . Who was your platoon sgt.? I'm having a difficult time recognizing your name. The guy's names that you are in touch with, are vaguely familiar. Needless to say its only been 1/2 century. I tell my grand kids all the time that the time I spent in the army was some of the best years of my life, even though when going thru basic training I kept asking myself "what the hell have you got yourself into"
Hi, I still have a memory like an elephant. I remember you as I sat down at the same table you were sitting at in the mess hall when I had my first meal at Dreux on December 18, 1963. You were sitting with a fellow named Daley.
I remember Pete Ingram, also Warrant Officer Tomlinson as well as Sgt. Holliday. Roscoe Barnett was my platoon Sgt.(Wire Platoon) as well as Sgts George Kelly, Jackson and Napier.
I also remember you at guard mount as it was held right outside our door at Wire Platoon. You always made super numero so I studied up and also became a super at guard mount later.
About four years ago those barracks still stood and they were pretty dilapitated. I think they were empty since we were there. Perhach visited about fifteen years ago and they wouldn't let him on the base as it was restricted. He argued with them and even tried to bribe then into letting him in on a pass but they wouldn't. I asked him if he drove around the perimeter road towards Crucey but he didn't bother.
Today, if you use Google Maps they still ustilize Google Earth and you can get a ground view of the nearby towns and even the front door of Madame Moga's in Mallebois (it hasn't changed one bit). But, not the base. Four years ago you could get the ground view. However, there's enough that you can zoom into to get the layout of our old 246th Signal Company when you zoom in on Marguritte #6. The barracks are gone but I think the power plant is still there. You can see the outline of your barracks. The base was bought by a power company that has place solar panels that cover the fields right outside the fences of our old barracks. There are thousands of them.
I can zoom into the exact location of the barracks window where I lived and pan the field that you can see the water tower five miles away in Brezolles the same way I could see it then in 1966. That was 47 years ago and when I get that view, it seems like last week.
Feel free to write: nachi.alan@gmail.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joyful noise or unholy din? New church 'bells' ... 5 hr Ginny 1
The painful price of aging in prison 6 hr Ronald 2
Gigantic Cruise Ship Ascends into Heaven 16 hr Monty Pierce 1
Man sues Florida hospital after his leg found i... Fri Herb 1
Is my boyfriend gay for wanting sex with me and... Fri Laynay123 1
STAGECOACH 2015 Strange Reporter Fri Ronald 5
American Lung Ass'n Ranks LA-LB WORST In Nation... Thu Ronald 2
More from around the web

Long Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE