people in military bases in France in...
Gisele Montheil

Guyancourt, France

#2290 Sep 26, 2012
My previous message was for Tom Johnson.
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2291 Sep 26, 2012
Gisele Montheil wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonjour,
Worked in Braconne (CID Office) in 65 until 66 when I was transferred to the PMO in Poitiers. We probably know each other. I was Sec to Sgt Wells. Would love to see the pictures taken in Braconne. Where can I buy your book ? Thanks in advance
Bonjour, Gisele,
I'm sure we knew each other. I was with the 202nd MPs at Poitiers from May 1963 to May 1966. I remember SSgt Wells quite well. A good NCO. I have made contact with many of the men I knew towards the end, and met others from Ingrandes and other bases since we started a Yahoo Group four years ago. Contact me at fadingshadows@juno.com and I'll get the url for you. Or look back on some of the messages here. I've posted the url recently. Oh, the easiest way to find my book is on my Amazon Page at http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B008MM81CM It is on the first page, just scroll down a ways. The title is COLD WAR HEROES. Beware, it is fiction.
jim mahaffey

Easley, SC

#2292 Sep 27, 2012
Al Eidenberg SP4 wrote:
I was stationed at Nancy General Depot, with Det. 3, 256th Signal Co (Spt), from about Jan. 1962 to May 1964. Sure would like to get in touch with someone who was there at that time.
I was in nancy from 1962 until they moved us to toul. I was in the 72nd transportation co. You can contact me at jmahaffey8192@charter.net
Linda Edge

Milton, FL

#2293 Sep 28, 2012
PatEUCOM wrote:
<quoted text>I am so glad that Poissey was a good place for you.I only walked the main road so maybe other areas were nice.I lived in Villennes and loved it.I shopped Bel Manior after we moved into Petite Beauregard housing.Our oldest child was also born at Paris American Hospital .Did they have nurses that were also midwives when you were there?I am familiar with Milton,Florida.My oldest son is a retired Navy Capt.and lives in Pensacola and my brother-in-law is ret.Navy too and lives in Milton.Lovely beaches down there.
So glad to finally connect with someone who had a similar experience in France. I was in France from 1963-65 and fell in love with it although the man I was married to at that time hated it.Since I've remarried, my second husband and I have been back to France 15 times and needless to say, he loves it as much as I do. We just returned last Sun. from a trip two week trip to the UK and Normandy (our favorite area of France). I always cry when we have to leave. No, I don't believe midwives were still practicing but I had great nurses from England at that time. Would love to talk more with you and compare notes.
Jack Sheahan

Bakersfield, CA

#2294 Sep 29, 2012
My Father, Jack (John) Sheahan (from Illinois) was stationed in France in 1959 (not sure when and where or how long). He was married to an Australian named Betty. I was born on a military base in 1959.
Jen Thomas

Las Vegas, NV

#2295 Sep 29, 2012
Does anyone remember Barbara Ann Goodman (now Monahan) and her younger sister Patricia Elizabeth Goodman (Kay)? Their father is the late Colonel Leo E Goodman.
John Kimmel

York, PA

#2296 Sep 30, 2012
John Cross wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi:
My name is John Cross. I was stationed at Braconne from 1961 to 1963. I have some pictures of Braconne which I took during this time. I also returned there last year and made some more pictures of the some of the abandoned barracks.
i lived there when i was very small and could not find
anything from my adoptive parents about it, now i see it was spelled with two nn's;)..John Kimmel, formerly Hans;)
Linda Edge

Milton, FL

#2297 Oct 1, 2012
Does anyone have any information about Tom and Marilyn Mumbly from Vermont? They were fiends of mine when my husband was stationed at CDL 1963-65. My husband was James C. Powell, asigned to the motor pool.
Mike Mantor

Reno, NV

#2298 Oct 2, 2012
So great..Rob Plancich and I have hooked up after 52 years! And I've been through where he lives 50 times and never knew he was there..Still trying to find those in Fontainebleau between 56-60..Phil Ferrari, Lauralee Green, Hunter Thomas, Raymond Bailey, Judy Nyman, Kathy Dowd, Ann Hidalgo, someboday out there knows somebody! I will keep checking..it worked once, why not again?
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2299 Oct 2, 2012
Lee Young wrote:
Hey Bob, what did you do? Ride around Paris on the Metro for the rest of the night.
Surely you know the last Metro begins its final run around 12:30PM. So if you miss the bus, you either walk around all night or luck upon an all night bar. In the mid 1950s my pal and I were at a left bank bar that stayed open all night, but we only had 500 francs--then worth about $1.40. It was midnight. Our available cash would barely pay for two beers each. The Metro was not likely to get us to the Camp des Loges bus at Etoile by its 12:30 departure time. We hailed a cab and got my 1st and only female cab driver. I told her in my best French, that we needed to get to Etoile in a hurry, but had only 500 francs, and that when the meter hit 400 francs to let us out. Just after we hit the Champs, the meter turned 400 francs. She turned the meter off and drove us straight to the bus. She correctly surmised that I'd give her the 500 francs--which I did.
Chonita

Las Vegas, NV

#2300 Oct 2, 2012
Jean Bright wrote:
<quoted text>
My family lived in Fountainbleau from 1960-1965. I had Mrs. Bednarski too and Mr. LeBrun was Principle. I remember Mr. and Mrs. Williams were teachers, too. One of my French teachers was Madame Marillier...can't remember exact spelling. We lived at Rue de Belgique. I took ballet lessons with Josette. Any of these names ring a bell? My Dad was Willie Bright. He was a cook and worked at the NCO Club as a bartender for a while.
Hi,Jean did your mother do hair at your house? I seem to remember a Mrs Bright with a daughter named Wilma.It has been many years ago so my memory may be faulty.We lived in Founainbleau in the 60s. I will always love France. It is the great love of my life. Chonita
John Kimmel

York, PA

#2301 Oct 2, 2012
does anyone know if Braconne still exists over there?
PATEUCOM

Lexington, KY

#2302 Oct 2, 2012
Tom Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Pat,
It's been in print for several years now, and the contract will be out soon. I wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to know about it before it goes out of print. If you pick up the book, I hope you like it. We were young back then, and a little wild (?).
ORDERED FROM AMAZON THIS EVENING.Hoping for a GOOD READ.Bon Soir et bon chance.
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2303 Oct 3, 2012
PATEUCOM wrote:
<quoted text>ORDERED FROM AMAZON THIS EVENING.Hoping for a GOOD READ.Bon Soir et bon chance.
Thanks, Pat,
Just remember, we were awfully young back then, and there was a lot of craziness at the time. If you liked M*A*S*H and Soldier In The Rain, I think you will enjoy Cold War Heroes. Do let me, whether good or bad.
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2304 Oct 3, 2012
John Kimmel wrote:
does anyone know if Braconne still exists over there?
John,
We have several Members on our Yahoo Group who were stationed at Braconne, and lots of pictures of that Posts, and others. Our Group is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caserne_abovill... Everyone welcome.
Linda Edge

Milton, FL

#2305 Oct 3, 2012
OK,I'll do another "shout-out" and ask if anyone out there has any information about Joe nd Judy Caruso from Portland? Joe and Judy were our neighbors at Plaisir,France from 1964-65. We lived in a trailer park on the property of Mr.Hilliard somewhere in the vicinity of Versalles.
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2306 Oct 3, 2012
PatEUCOM wrote:
My husband,a navy yeoman, and I were stationed at Camp des Loges France from 1956-1958.He had orders to France when we married in April of 1956.He arrived there in May and I arrived there in August.We stayed at Papllion Bleu in St.Germain en-laye until an apt.became available in Villennes about 6 miles from the post just past the anti-american town of Poissy.He worked at the Hdqts.Building EUCOM in TS Control.The offices used the letter J for names with J% being the name for the men's head.I remember the small exchange,ten cent movie theater,the small commissary,small quick store at the gas station near the motor pool,softball games in the back field,full dress parade in front of HEADQUARTERS,shopping at the old Beleriot exchange,going to Rue mar Buff for medical appointments,alerts,nice MP's and French guards at the main gate,feeding many single enlisted guys in our home,talent shows at the theater,eating ice cream at the small post restaurant and trying to find fresh meat at the small commissary and SHAPE Hill in the fog .My husband's boss was Capt.Goldberg.He was a friendly nice guy.He visited us and we were invited to his home too.He and his wife came to visit me at the Paris American Hospital when our first child was born.I remember the names Jerry Crocker(Army),Verl Cater(Navy)Mr.Hines,Louis Robeles,?Kenaley(AF),Robert Wingerter(Navy),? Shelby(AF),Guy a French driver/interpreter,Kenny Baker,many GS workers,and names of those working in TS Control as I still have an old "Duty List" from there.We moved from Villennes to Petite Beauregard when our name for housing finally came up.It was modern compared to the place in Villennes.It was near Bel Manior where we shopped.My husband Walter Bruce Watson retired from the navy .He died 2/14/1993 at the age of 58 after many years of heart disease and open heart surgeries.Our oldest son ,the one born in France,retired as a Capt.from the navy in 2009 with 30 years as a helo pilot. If you remember my husband let me know or if you remember my "young wife meals" for the single guys in our home. It was a long time ago but a fun time despite the problems of that time in France.
My time at CDL just missed yours and your husband. I arrived just before Halloween, 1954 and left May 10, 1956. Army, Crypto. I'm responding because there are so few from that time period using this tool AND because you are the only person to mention Bleriot--Always referred to by the French Nationals as the BIG PX. I've revisited Camp des Loges twice, once in 1988 with my older daudhter and once in 2002 with my younger daughter. Rode the RER out and back. Visted the Papillon Bleu bar--Looked exactly as it did in the old days, still served Heineken, and walked on the path through the "Forest" to the rise across the Gate at des Loges. Didn't try to get in, but could point out to my girls Barracks 704 where I lived for 18 months. Did not know any of the officers mentioned in your piece, but I was in Crypto. Nothing I did while on duty precipated a visit from TS.
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2307 Oct 3, 2012
Tom Johnson wrote:
SHL,
Where did your father work on the Post at Poitiers? I probably knew him. I was an MP at Poitiers from 1963 to 1966. fadingshadows@juno.com
Don't know how to get back to Al Boka, the originial inquirer, but if the Bill Sewell on his list was from North Carolina, Bill passed away several years ago, as did his wife, Helen, more recently. This Bill was a high school football coach at Christ School in Asheville, NC and Ravenscroft School in Raleigh, NC [both private schools] and later was in business marketing equipment [not weapons] to law enforcement agencies. He grew up in my home town of Erwin, NC and went to my church. He was 3 or 4 years younger than I.
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2308 Oct 3, 2012
kathy fulton wrote:
<quoted text>
steve satulla is my dad my parents divorced in 77 and as far as I know he is back in Scranton, PA
Finger slipped sent this to wrong person. See if you can forward to Al.
|Report Abuse |Judge it!|#2307 3 min ago
Tom Johnson wrote:
SHL,

Don't know how to get back to Al Boka, the originial inquirer, but if the Bill Sewell on his list was from North Carolina, Bill passed away several years ago, as did his wife, Helen, more recently. This Bill was a high school football coach at Christ School in Asheville, NC and Ravenscroft School in Raleigh, NC [both private schools] and later was in business marketing equipment [not weapons] to law enforcement agencies. He grew up in my home town of Erwin, NC and went to my church. He was 3 or 4 years younger than I.
PATEUCOM

Lexington, KY

#2309 Oct 3, 2012
John Beard wrote:
<quoted text>
My time at CDL just missed yours and your husband. I arrived just before Halloween, 1954 and left May 10, 1956. Army, Crypto. I'm responding because there are so few from that time period using this tool AND because you are the only person to mention Bleriot--Always referred to by the French Nationals as the BIG PX. I've revisited Camp des Loges twice, once in 1988 with my older daudhter and once in 2002 with my younger daughter. Rode the RER out and back. Visted the Papillon Bleu bar--Looked exactly as it did in the old days, still served Heineken, and walked on the path through the "Forest" to the rise across the Gate at des Loges. Didn't try to get in, but could point out to my girls Barracks 704 where I lived for 18 months. Did not know any of the officers mentioned in your piece, but I was in Crypto. Nothing I did while on duty precipated a visit from TS.
We didn't cross paths but we share some of the same memories.I think Bleriot was an old French Aviation Bldg.converted to a PX.Ys,I walked through the"forest" from Papillon Bleu to CDL.Nice walk.Familar with the term Crypto as my husband used it as a Yeoman.Glad you got to go back..twice!I want to return but couldn't due to husband's health and now mine is not so good.Maybe one day.I sure want to.Was the men's head(latrine)designated J5 when you were there?I do remember the water fountain on the main floor at Headquarters.Wonderful COLD water that I couldn't get at Papillon Blue. Hang onto those memories.I once thought that NOBODY knew about CDL.Never met anybody that had been stationed there.At least we left before the EXIT in the 60's!We sure left a lot of things there...Thanks for posting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Commercials 11 hr kdz1 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 18 hr Budv44 21,383
News After 54 years, it's the end for DeMille Middle... (Jun '10) 19 hr Budv44 51
News Mel Gibson's Remarks In The Spotlight After Arrest (Jul '06) 22 hr andet1987 66
News Man dies after 18-story plunge in Long Beach (Jan '10) Sun toryc 43
News 1 dead, 2 injured in Norwalk shooting Jan 20 tellinitlikeitis 1
Judge Deborah B Andrews being sued (Oct '11) Jan 17 RIPMGZE777 45

Long Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages