people in military bases in France in...
PatEUCOM

Lexington, KY

#2268 Sep 14, 2012
Tom Johnson wrote:
Just a reminder, don't miss out on COLD WAR HEROES, my novel about misfit MPs in France during the 1960s. My Amazon Page is at http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Johnson/e/B008MM81C...
This sounds fantastic.I will be sure to check this out.Thanks.
TOM PARISELLA

Beacon, NY

#2269 Sep 14, 2012
I worked at Bel Manior Motor Pool in 1964 and 1965.
I lived at Camp Des Loges.
girl friend in Montmartre
Hot totties drank all the time with her
Versailles Palace was just down around the corner.
I was too young to appreciate the beautiful Palace of Versailles.
Was there this month but no heard of the place or camp des loges... this was 48 years ago when I was last there...
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2270 Sep 15, 2012
PatEUCOM wrote:
<quoted text>This sounds fantastic.I will be sure to check this out.Thanks.
Thanks Pat,
It's been in print for several years now, and the contract will be out soon. I wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to know about it before it goes out of print. If you pick up the book, I hope you like it. We were young back then, and a little wild (?).
PatEUCOM

Lexington, KY

#2271 Sep 15, 2012
Tom Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Pat,
It's been in print for several years now, and the contract will be out soon. I wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to know about it before it goes out of print. If you pick up the book, I hope you like it. We were young back then, and a little wild (?).
Will order from Amazon!Yes,we were young,a bit wild and crazy.France in the mid 50's could be very crazy at times.The Seabees at the motor pool were fun loving guys.The MPs on the gate were sharp,polite and nice but also funny when off duty.They also had enormous appetites when they ate at our table many times.My husband liked feeding the single guys as they missed home cooked meals.The Snack Bar didn't offer much!
The Algerians kept us on alert and often slipped silenty into houses out on the Economy taking mostly money.Com munism was a growing "thing" then and there were times when things were uncertain.The French were basically nice but so aloof at times.I didn't understand their veiws on WWll but looking back maybe I understand a bit more now.I just remember my trip to Normandy and how I felt as boot soles,helemt liners and shell casings washed over my feet down at the beach.I knew some brave soul had made the greatest of sacrifices.I shed many tears that day as I looked out over the rows of Crosses and Stars of David.Too many of them..too many.
PatEUCOM

Lexington, KY

#2272 Sep 15, 2012
TOM PARISELLA wrote:
I worked at Bel Manior Motor Pool in 1964 and 1965.
I lived at Camp Des Loges.
girl friend in Montmartre
Hot totties drank all the time with her
Versailles Palace was just down around the corner.
I was too young to appreciate the beautiful Palace of Versailles.
Was there this month but no heard of the place or camp des loges... this was 48 years ago when I was last there...
Sounds very familiar.I shopped at Bel Manior after we moved to Petite Beauregard.Drove by Versailles many times but like you,too young to appreciate it.Also passed SHAPE hdqtrs.Camp des Loges is now a sports complex.Headquarters building looks much the same when Googled.Also pulled up pictures of Pappilon Bleu in St.Germain.Looks about the same.Memories... We weren't there as tourists though.It was working,having the duty all night,alerts and just doing trying to do your job. It may have been good duty for the single guys though.LOL
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2273 Sep 16, 2012
PatEUCOM wrote:
<quoted text>Will order from Amazon!Yes,we were young,a bit wild and crazy.France in the mid 50's could be very crazy at times.The Seabees at the motor pool were fun loving guys.The MPs on the gate were sharp,polite and nice but also funny when off duty.They also had enormous appetites when they ate at our table many times.My husband liked feeding the single guys as they missed home cooked meals.The Snack Bar didn't offer much!
The Algerians kept us on alert and often slipped silenty into houses out on the Economy taking mostly money.Com munism was a growing "thing" then and there were times when things were uncertain.The French were basically nice but so aloof at times.I didn't understand their veiws on WWll but looking back maybe I understand a bit more now.I just remember my trip to Normandy and how I felt as boot soles,helemt liners and shell casings washed over my feet down at the beach.I knew some brave soul had made the greatest of sacrifices.I shed many tears that day as I looked out over the rows of Crosses and Stars of David.Too many of them..too many.
You bring back some good memories, Pat. There was an elderly couple (in their 30s - ha), who kind of adopted some of us young MPs at Poitiers. Sadly, I don't remember their names, or what outfit the man was in, but they enjoyed inviting us young MPs to parties, and just to their home for meals sometimes. You know, I spent twenty years in the Army, and may have been stationed at better assignments, but none more memorable as France. Yes, I think everyone should visit Normandy. It's awe inspiring!
renate aubrey

Orlando, FL

#2274 Sep 16, 2012
I am looking for my father. He does not know about me. H. e was stationed in France in the air force. H was on TDY for 1 month in Furstenfeld bruck where he met my mother in 1956.He was married to the master sgt. daughter because he got her pregnant too. I was born in may 1957, so it had to be Aug.1956. His name is Bill yates and he was from Texas. His military buddy was married to my mother's girlfriend she is german too i think her name is elfrieda.
renate aubrey

Orlando, FL

#2275 Sep 16, 2012
looking for Bill Yates served in the airforce from texas was in france in 1956
John Stutzman

Blue Bell, PA

#2276 Sep 19, 2012
[I was at Camp Des Loges 1965 to 1966. My duty officer was CWO Higdon. Don Woodman, Wally Jeske and I had a 3 bedroom apt. off base. Mr. Higdon was one heck of a duty officer. He drove a '57 Chevy. I had a Morris Mini Minor. Great little car til it was stolen.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#2277 Sep 19, 2012
John Stutzman wrote:
[I was at Camp Des Loges 1965 to 1966. My duty officer was CWO Higdon. Don Woodman, Wally Jeske and I had a 3 bedroom apt. off base. Mr. Higdon was one heck of a duty officer. He drove a '57 Chevy. I had a Morris Mini Minor. Great little car til it was stolen.
John, did you, Wally and Woodie work at the comm center?
Steve Cowdell

UK

#2278 Sep 19, 2012
Richard W Wiswell wrote:
U.S. Army 249 Engineer Bat. Stationed at Chambley 1964-1965. Maried Liliane M. Losa 10-28-1964
Epployed at Cafe Du Bon Coin at Pexuiex. Owened by Paul and Ann Marie Dimattia.
Richard, im trying to track down an old friend of mine: Ray wiswell. he stayed with me in england around 10 years ago. my e-mail is [email protected] (he may be your son as i know his mom was french)
i helped him to claim his dual nationalship at the french ebmassy in london to stop him being deported.

if you can help, please email.

regards

Steve Cowdell
sgt 2nd Battalion the parachute regiment (leicester uk)
Connie V

Theodore, AL

#2279 Sep 20, 2012
My dad was stationed in France in the early 60's and I was actually born there in April of 61. Unfortunately all our France photos burned in our home in 1979.
bruno jaffre

Antibes, France

#2280 Sep 20, 2012
Chère Martine,
Avez-vous des nouvelles pour moi?
Amicalement
bruno
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2281 Sep 20, 2012
Connie V wrote:
My dad was stationed in France in the early 60's and I was actually born there in April of 61. Unfortunately all our France photos burned in our home in 1979.
Hi Connie, what Post was your dad stationed at? There are a lot of nice photos on the LaRochelle Group, and some other Sites, plus we have hundreds of photos from the Poitiers, Ingrandes, Braconne, and other Posts on our Poitiers Group.
tomsimonshumbleh ound

Humble, TX

#2282 Sep 23, 2012
For anyone interested. This site has some nice shots of LaRochelle's old port. www.trekearth.com/LaRochelle
Scotty Bennett

Cleveland, GA

#2283 Sep 24, 2012
Hi Tom,
What site do I use to see the pictures of Braconne. I was station there from 10-60 to 9-62 with Co "D", 83rd Engr Bn and live in the green metal bldgs back in the wood.
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2284 Sep 24, 2012
Scotty Bennett wrote:
Hi Tom,
What site do I use to see the pictures of Braconne. I was station there from 10-60 to 9-62 with Co "D", 83rd Engr Bn and live in the green metal bldgs back in the wood.
Hi Scotty,
Sorry, I should have posted the url. At my age, I'm getting a bit forgetful (lol). We have hundreds of photos from several military installations, Army and Air Force that were in France during the 1950s & '60s. Come here to join. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/caserne_abovill...
Tom
Rob Plancich

Redondo Beach, CA

#2285 Sep 24, 2012
Jim Best wrote:
<quoted text>
My family lived in Fontainebleau from Sept 1964 until Jan 1967. I went to school on the Post (Lariboisiere) played baseball at Camp Guynemer and was in Boy Scouts. My older sister went to the American High School in Paris. I would really like to trade information about the US Army Post, the NATO Base, any details you may remember. You can email me at [email protected] - Thanks!
Hi Jim,
This message is for Mike Mantor...was one of the guys he hung out with in Fontainebleau. Also played baseball & basketball & learned a bit of French along the way. Stepdad was transfered in 1961 to Ft. Lewis. I have good memories of the friends I made & the times we shared.

Mike, if you get this, you can email me at [email protected]
Tom Johnson

Munday, TX

#2286 Sep 25, 2012
Scotty Bennett wrote:
Hi Tom,
Scotty, I forgot to mention, one of our Members was with the 313th Signal and was the official photographer for Braconne, so he has a lot of photos in his Album of the Post. He was there after you, however. I think he was at Braconne from 1964 to 1966 or '67.
Rob Plancich

Redondo Beach, CA

#2287 Sep 25, 2012
Mike Mantor wrote:
Hi Everyone;
My Dad was stationed in Fontainebleau, France from Feb'56 until June '60. Went to the American dependents school there during that time, played basketball and little leauge baseball during those years there and in Chataeroux, Verdun, Paris, Orleans, etc. Hung out with Phil Ferrari, Steve Lyons, Robin Plancich, Lauralee Green, Kathy Dowd, Hunter Thomas..Would really love to hear from anyone who was there!
Hey Mike,
I was happily surprised to see your post, came across it by accident. Excellent memory. Try these names on for size...Ann Hidalgo, Bonnie Horne, Ray Bailey. Hope you get this & we can communicate further. Love to hear from you. Try me at [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is the back story re Scottsdale Townhomes (Apr '10) 8 hr Casper 20
News 49 still at large in Hawaiian Gardens gang bust (May '09) Mon Hgr 175
News U.S. Customs agents seize aluminum shipments Mon Modemitv 1
News Recycled wastewater to give Los Angeles County ... (Nov '15) Mon Dudley 6
Anyone remember "Seal Beach James" ? (May '08) Sun rvsdguy 56
News Suspect Identified In Possible Domestic Violenc... (Mar '13) Jan 8 Mkawbrown 26
Helicopters constantly flying overhead... why? (Jun '10) Jan 5 MEe 20

Long Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages