Gun-for-gift-card exchange set for Co...

Gun-for-gift-card exchange set for Compton

There are 33 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Nov 20, 2009, titled Gun-for-gift-card exchange set for Compton. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

5-6. A $100 gift card from Best Buy, Ralphs or Target will be given for each gun surrendered, Sgt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mdEUCE

Cypress, CA

#21 Nov 21, 2009
I wonder what the people over at www.hubcitylivin.com think of this program. I'm gonna find out.
joe

AOL

#22 Nov 22, 2009
DONT GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT; GIVE THEM A TOY GUN ,AND YOU CAN GET A GIFE CARD;NOW YOU CAN BY A REAL ONE; IT DOSE SAYIT HAVE REAL ONE. SO YOU CAN GET THIS THE LAW SAY SO. IT YOUR RIGHT OR YOU CAN SUE THEM. THIS DONT NEED TO BE REAL; GO FOR IT.IT ROUR RIGHT TO GET YOUR CARD NOW?
joe

AOL

#23 Nov 22, 2009
IF YOU TURNIN A GUN .YOU GOT YOUR FING PRINT ON IT AND .MAY BE GET A PICTUR OF YOU .AND SEE THIS AND GET YOU AT YOUR HOME;FOR THIS.SO NOW YOU GOT YOUR GIFE CARD IN JAIL,TO BUY YOUR LUNCH,SMIL FACE; PUT ON A BATMAN SUE BE FOR GO IN.
Bill Carson

Lakewood, CA

#26 Nov 22, 2009
Joe and Danny obviously hitting the crack pipe together. Danny your obvious attempt at racist humor fell short. This program is in compton, how many white people are there in compton ? How many do you think are crime victims ? The majority of crime in compton is minority on minority, because the population is mostly minority. Do you got that genius ? Joe two words (spell check). You cannot turn in a toy gun and they do not give you cash or gift cards to a gun store. It also is not a law, it is a no questions asked policy. The only information they record when receiving these guns are the serial numbers. That is what is wrong with this program. Joe please do not try to respond and continue to embarrass yourself with your stupidity.
joe

AOL

#27 Nov 27, 2009
THE LAW SAY TO BRING A GUN; SO NOW YOU GIVE THEM A TOY GUN;NOW YOU CAN GET YOUR GIFE CARD ;THIS IS THE LAW;ASK FOR OR SEE THE D;A TO FILE A LAW SUE.ON THIS DONT GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT FOR A $100. ASK THEM TO GIVE UP THIRE FOR ONE YOU GIVE UP FOR NO ONE CAN HAVE ONE' VOTE NO ON NEW TAX ; DO YOU KNOW IT COST $1000;00 IN HOURE TO FLY A POLICE HELICOPTER;FIX IT AND FUL IT; ALL SO IT COST. $ 1;5MILL TO $2;3MILL EACH ONE TO FLY OVER YOUR HOME.ASK THE CITY HOW PAY FOR THIS; WHEN YOUR CITY CALL FOR THIS; TAX ARE GO HIGH ON YOU;
Corporate CEOs

Toledo, OH

#28 Nov 27, 2009
joe wrote:
THE LAW SAY TO BRING A GUN; SO NOW YOU GIVE THEM A TOY GUN;NOW YOU CAN GET YOUR GIFE CARD ;THIS IS THE LAW;ASK FOR OR SEE THE D;A TO FILE A LAW SUE.ON THIS DONT GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT FOR A $100. ASK THEM TO GIVE UP THIRE FOR ONE YOU GIVE UP FOR NO ONE CAN HAVE ONE' VOTE NO ON NEW TAX ; DO YOU KNOW IT COST $1000;00 IN HOURE TO FLY A POLICE HELICOPTER;FIX IT AND FUL IT; ALL SO IT COST.$ 1;5MILL TO $2;3MILL EACH ONE TO FLY OVER YOUR HOME.ASK THE CITY HOW PAY FOR THIS; WHEN YOUR CITY CALL FOR THIS; TAX ARE GO HIGH ON YOU;
I feel you!!! The police, the corporate runned private militaries, and the crooked azz government will always stay strapp. Don't give up your guns. When you give up your GUNS, YOU GIVE UP YOUR FREEDOMS.
Corporate CEOs

Toledo, OH

#29 Nov 27, 2009
Danny Wilcox wrote:
At least if you arm all the white people, there will be no victims, get it?
I don't know about that!!! Detroit and Toledo have inner city gangs with white members that kills INNOCENT BYSTANDERS (one was a Bill boy gang in Toledo who killed a 9 year old with a stray). The point is that any color and ethnicity who's brought up in a dangerous community would have a potential of growing up to be killers. Thats because they have no hope. In inner cities, Blacks and Latinos kills more people. In rural areas, Whites kills more people. I see it as Poor killing Poor. Race has NOTHING to do with it. Well, this is what the NWO and the power elites wants. POOR KILLING POOR!!!!
Allison Jean Eaton

Long Beach, CA

#30 Dec 1, 2009
April wrote:
Well the thought is nice, but this isn't gonna work... I sadly snicker inside at the hope someone had when they put this on the table at the meeting! Too bad... wish it did work!
Actually, it does work. The Sheriff's Department has been doing this for the past three years. In 2005, the first year this event was held, 610 guns were traded in. In 2006, 480 guns. In 2007, 278 guns were turned in. And in 2008, last year, a total of 1,267 guns were traded in. I saw the guns from 2006,'07 and '08 with my own eyes (I work for the local newspaper there).

The program has been so successful that police departments and other law enforcement agencies nationwide have adopted Compton Sheriff's Station's idea and conducted gun exchange programs of their own. And they are now held elsewhere in the county, as well.
Allison Jean Eaton

Long Beach, CA

#31 Dec 1, 2009
Bill Carson wrote:
This is a bad idea on so many levels. There is no evidence that any community that does this has a drop in gun-related crimes. Generally criminals do not turn in their guns. They do record the serial numbers of the guns turned in but I do not think they check them against the stolen gun list. I know that they do not do ballistics tests on them. It is a no questions asked system, you can turn in an illegal gun (fully automatic) and nothing will happen to you. So in theory you could kill someone with a gun and turn it in to the police and they would not check the ballistics thus eliminating one of the building blocks in homocide case (body, weapon, motive)In Colorado Springs the police are selling the turned in guns to licensed firearms dealers. Every illegally owned gun by a felon started off as a gun sold by a licensed firearm dealer somewhere. Guns are not made in some backroom operation and sold out of the trunks of cars or at swap meets. So what does the buy back program accomplish or solve??
This is NOT TRUE. The guns are screened to see if they match up as the weapons used in any unsolved crimes. Maybe in Colorado Springs they turning around and reselling the guns (highly doubtful, however), but not in Compton. All the guns, minus any that are found to have been used in an unsolved crime, are destroyed.
Allison Jean Eaton

Long Beach, CA

#32 Dec 1, 2009
bjh wrote:
Kind of sounds like the cash for clunkers deal.
According to the follow up report I read a couple of weeks ago, most of the people did not buy a more fuel efficient car. So the taxpayer got the shaft again. Just like in this card for guns deal.
Who is paying for these "gift" cards?
The gift cards are donated by the businesses they are good for. NO taxpayer dollars are used to purchase the gift cards. It's a public-private partnership. The businesses that have participated in the past in Compton include Target, Best Buy, The Home Depot and Ralphs.
nice girl

Newport Beach, CA

#33 Dec 5, 2009
yay, I am going to get $100 for a piece of junk gun that doesn't work and was purchased at a yard sale. There is no danger that I would harm someone with it.
Corporate CEOs

Toledo, OH

#34 Dec 8, 2009
Allison Jean Eaton wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it does work. The Sheriff's Department has been doing this for the past three years. In 2005, the first year this event was held, 610 guns were traded in. In 2006, 480 guns. In 2007, 278 guns were turned in. And in 2008, last year, a total of 1,267 guns were traded in. I saw the guns from 2006,'07 and '08 with my own eyes (I work for the local newspaper there).
The program has been so successful that police departments and other law enforcement agencies nationwide have adopted Compton Sheriff's Station's idea and conducted gun exchange programs of their own. And they are now held elsewhere in the county, as well.
Instead of GUN PROGRAMS, why not establish a JOB and EDUCATION PROGRAM that will give citizens skills to get better jobs to stabilized the city at hand. Not saying that the gun program isn't a success but giving up your guns is the same as giving up your freedoms. Unless the police and the military around the world give up their guns, the citizens shouldn't give up their guns.
mdEUCE

United States

#35 Dec 21, 2009
To my knowledge, most the guns turned in this year were from out of towners; Average everyday citizens who have fallen on tuff times and are in need of a gift card to feed their family. The month before this Compton was ranked 12 most dangerous city in America. True, some of these guns have potentiality to be used in a crime, considering how hard times are for some people but I hardly think this is the most effective way to reduce crime. And then all of a sudden, the month of Novermber saw no murders in Compton...and nobody really knows why. It ain't because of this program I betcha that. My point is this: if nobody knows why there was no murders for a month, then nobody really knows if any of these programs are even working. And after all these years of the same gangs, in the same little ass city, that just don't seem right. To not know.
mdEUCE
http://hubcity.ning.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Long Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sex with dogs. Pros and Cons (Dec '10) 1 hr Emma 29
whats it like to live in LBC; Does Sublime live... (Sep '11) 3 hr Ronald 42
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 14 hr Mother Mcreeeeee 20,096
News Los Alamitos bucks O.C. trend, votes to keep re... Wed jcwconsult 1
News CA woman won't give up pet pig despite city ban (Nov '13) Wed What 4
News Man sentenced to life for two Wilmington murders (Jul '09) Tue lovelyboo 66
Review: 24 7 A Locksmith Tue being used 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Long Beach Mortgages