Pilgrim's Pride gets reprieve

Troubled chicken processor Pilgrim's Pride Corp. said yesterday that it reached an agreement with its lenders to extend its credit lines until Monday. Full Story
hey willie

United States

#21 Feb 27, 2009
How much do you need to pay someone to stand in one spot and gut chickens all day, or cut the wings off chickens. If people were willing to pay 8$/pound for chicken maybe a better wage would be paid, but folks aren't willing to pay the same for chicken as for ribeye steaks - so unless you want the food industry to end up like the union based car industry (we see how that is working for them) then just accept the fact that in this great country we live in, the guy that picks up the trash or the HS Drop out is not going to make what the guys who has a BS degree in agriculture are not going to make the same thing at a food plant- sorry but that is a fact of life
WILLIE GRANVILLE

United States

#22 Feb 28, 2009
Hey Willie they have their BS degree and it starts with Bull ok. They know how to keep the little man down if they can. This ten dollar an hour after fifteen years of service is just wrong.
Many companies aren't union, but they pay close to union pay. A man or woman if they are gutting a chicken, cow, pig etc., need to make enough money to support their family Pilgrim can pay more than that if someone has been there 15 years.
To be honest with you I like squrriel, possum and coon. They would have been out of business long time ago.
Eddie

United States

#23 Feb 28, 2009
worried worker in LA wrote:
Pilgrims Pride needs to either their stuff together or close the doors. They are doing nothing more but, making employees miserable.
They announced closings in El Dorado and Farmerville yesterday. They will be closing the nurseries in Choudrant and the feed plant in Arcadia too. After a couple of months or so, all those workers will be out of work.

Why don't you organize a cooperative where the workers and growers own the businesses that have been announced to be closed. Then you guys can run it yourselves, and you can make yourselves happy, and share in the profits at the same time.
chickenchicken esttn

United States

#24 Feb 28, 2009
That is a good plan Eddie. All growers producers for
Pilgim's Pride would benefit
old chicken farmer

United States

#25 Feb 28, 2009
The only problem is growers forming a co-op and buying the facilities is that Pilgrim won't sell them. They will tear them down in order to prevent competition. It's the way big business operates. It's called GREED!!
WILLIE GRANVILLE

United States

#26 Mar 1, 2009
Old chicken farmer you got it. They have elected people in office to keep the little man down. Many hard working people voted alone with them in good times who couldn't see the forest for the trees now they are caught up in a rat trap.
Eddie that is a good idea, but Tyson with money would step in and these people would still have problems. I think I have an idea also, let me sleep on it for a few hours.
MP native

United States

#27 Mar 1, 2009
Willie Granville wrote:
Yes I do have a poor opinion of Texans who work a man for 15 yrs. and he only makes $10.00 an hour. But I am LIBERAL, give the man a chance to get ahead. I think Cuz should be making $18 to $20 and hour after all those years Bo and others can do that and still make money.
Now Texans has a poor opinion of me, I just tell it like it is no sugar coating. MP native one day you may read my book I am working on and you will see why I speak the truth about Texas. There are a handfull of good people and a state full of not so good in the state.
I thought you were in the NorthEast getting flocks of Rhode Island Reds ready to come back down here and save us all but now you're an author, huh? Sounds to me like you're a disgruntled ex-employee who thought he should be paid 18 - 20 $ an hour to sit on his ass and cut up chicken when he felt like it. Does that sound about right?
Sorry if your last boss couldn't pay you to do nothing but that hardly excuses your pathetic attack on the people of Texas. Maybe you should stay up there where the population is more prone to feel sorry for you.
WILLIE GRANVILLE

United States

#28 Mar 2, 2009
MP native I have some RI reds in Texas from RI. Now tell me all about my PATHETIC attacks on Texas. And no I never worked for Bo, my ex-boss in Texas was ME. Yes I write articles and do public speaking at times, but never forgot where I came from. I have worked across this country and I tell people all about the TRUE TEXAS.
I never asked no one to feel sorry for me where you got that idea from I don't know. Oh yes you are from Texas. Sounds like you are still fighting the Civil War. FROM CNN: THE WAR IS OVER.
I know yall are 50 years behind time. I still think the man should be getting more than $10.00 hr.
WILLIE GRANVILLE

United States

#29 Mar 2, 2009
Old chicken farmer I don't know your contract, but could you raise quail or other birds? If you have the equipment this is a good thing I think. There is a way out if yall stick togather with some help from each other and thoughts.
Just hang in there. I hope my spelling is ok this morning been in the snow this morning.
old chicken farmer

Fort Smith, AR

#30 Mar 2, 2009
Willie, thanks for the concern. I'm going to be ok. My farm is paid for and I resisted taking on any debt to upgrade my houses. I had to take less pay for not upgrading, but in retrospect it was the right move. I seen four years ago where this thing was heading. Farm Credit loaning money for new houses like crazy, people lining up begging to get in the business, and small privately owned poultry companies being sucked up by large companies. I have been in the poultry business for 48 years and knew things were getting out of hand. I do know people, friends and relatives, that were suckered into this mess that are in the process of having to move out of their homes, losing their land and everything they have worked for so hard. It's really sad to see this happen to them. It's not the chicken business anymore, it's big business with ruthless CEO's who don't care about anything other than their bottom line. That is why I still contend that the only recourse is to break these large companies up and create competition again. They, the large poultry companies, control the market and set the rules. They have the money to keep a battery of lawyers on staff and keep lobyists in Washington and state governments to futher their agenda and get legislation passed to benefit them. The only way to bring down these large poultry companies is simple - BOYCOTT their product. Pilgrim is ripe to bring down now that they are under bankruptcy. They can't borrow anymore money after the $450 million loan from the bank in Canada. So, if they experience another operating capital shortage they will have to start selling some of their assets, albeit "idled" facalities. That will open the door for smaller companies to begin purchasing the facalities and bring them back on line. Make no mistake about it, Pilgrim doesn't want this because they don't want to lose any of their market share, it's called "Corporate Greed".
WILLIE GRANVILLE

United States

#31 Mar 2, 2009
Old chicken farmer you are welcome and thank you. YOU ARE A GREAT AMERICAN.
old chicken farmer

United States

#32 Mar 2, 2009
Thanks again willie, but nothing great here just a loyal American with the belief that every American should be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their economic status. Bo Pilgrim and his high-flying excutives put their britches on one leg at a time too. Spread the word, BOYCOTT PILGRIM PRIDE products.
chicken ranch

United States

#33 Mar 3, 2009
just shut us down 380 family owned farms soon to be out of buss:several co try to buy pilgrims wont sell they are trying to raise the price of chicken. 7000 workers out of a job 380 farms bankrupt because of bo pilgrims greed.hard to belive federal bankrupt judge ok:d that deal must be as crooked as bo
WILLIE GRANVILLE

United States

#34 Mar 4, 2009
Chicken ranch: Many of us lived through this back in the 70's & 80's. The milk & oil prices raised, people become homeless etc. Oh yea Bo giving out $100.00 bills to congressmen in Austin, Texas.
Some of us tried to tell other DON'T PUT ALL OF YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET. I feel for those families, now since many of us know what is going on work togather.
WILLIE GRANVILLE

United States

#35 Mar 4, 2009
Old chicken farmer: They get in their britches one leg at a time. I love that quote I have had to use it many times. Reading many things on this ordeal some wanted to become their own BOSS. This is ok.
One big mistake some made was they wanted to be a FROG AND WAS ONLY A TADPOLE.
Kelly

United States

#36 Mar 4, 2009
Worried Worker wrote:
Maybe Bo needs to look back at plants that are making money to get some idea. Maybe send a person in each plant to I.D. all the mangerment job. To see if you need all the overhead in each plant to run.
Bo just shut down two plants (Farmerville & Duglas) that IS making money, and not a drain. I work in Farmerville and everything I hear from the office is the same,,, we make money.
old chicken farmer

United States

#37 Mar 4, 2009
Shutting down plants that were not as profitable wasn't the real reason for shutting down these plants. Pilgrim wants to increase THEIR profit margin by limiting the supply. Economics 101. Pilgrim sees the opportunity to make HUGE profits when the market returns, they were not satisfied with just making SOME money, they want to make ALOT of money. CORPORATE GREED !! They took a page out of the oil company's book
WILLIE GRANVILLE

United States

#38 Mar 8, 2009
Old chicken farmer I don't think the Huge Profit is going to return to them. Many of their main workers are going back to Mexico. These BIG shots in the office may have to gut some chickens. I would love that.
Right now there is not alot of money to be made.
old chicken farmer

Tumbling Shoals, AR

#39 Mar 8, 2009
I'd love to see 86 year old Bo, Don Jackson($1.5 million CEO) and Clint Rivers (former CEO still on payroll) guttin chickens. I totally agree there isn't much money to be made in the present economic enviroment, but what in the world did Pilgrim's Pride do with the money when they were making record profits just four years ago? Oh that's right, they bought up all the smaller companies and now that times are hard have begun to shut them down. You know years ago there was a name for this, ORGANIZED CRIME!!
MP native

United States

#40 Mar 8, 2009
WILLIE GRANVILLE wrote:
MP native I have some RI reds in Texas from RI. Now tell me all about my PATHETIC attacks on Texas. And no I never worked for Bo, my ex-boss in Texas was ME. Yes I write articles and do public speaking at times, but never forgot where I came from. I have worked across this country and I tell people all about the TRUE TEXAS.
I never asked no one to feel sorry for me where you got that idea from I don't know. Oh yes you are from Texas. Sounds like you are still fighting the Civil War. FROM CNN: THE WAR IS OVER.
I know yall are 50 years behind time. I still think the man should be getting more than $10.00 hr.
Sounds to me that you ought to get that "Civil War" chip off your shoulder, Willie. You really have no idea what "flavor" I am. For someone who "never worked for Bo" you certainly seem to have the ability to speak with a deep understanding of his corporate policies. Maybe you should try to actually work for a living in an economically depressed region of the country before pronouncing judgement on those who provide the jobs in said area.

Yeah, we all deserve $20 per hour to process chickens just like we all deserve to pay $800 a month rent and $3 for a loaf of bread. Sheeeyit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lone Star Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Wed 98 Degree Diarrhea 595
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Nov 29 Fartology 752
Cowboy Jims (Dec '09) Sep '14 brentonsmommy 11
Jerry Richardson Aug '14 CounselorJoe 2
Arts digest: Sign up now for Chalk the Block Aug '14 Gasman 2
Is Hubert Hajek dead? (Apr '09) Aug '14 Your Ghost 6
Texas Restaurant Tells Gay Couple They "Don't S... (May '14) Jul '14 inquisitor 25
Lone Star Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Lone Star People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Lone Star News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Lone Star

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:58 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:58PM
Will the Philadelphia Eagles Miss the Playoffs?
NBC Sports 1:01 PM
Cowboys' Murray listed as questionable for Colts - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:10 PM
DeAndre Hopkins questionable after sitting out third straight practice
NBC Sports 3:16 PM
DeMarco Murray is determined to play
NBC Sports 4:14 PM
Ryan Mallett wants to be the Texans' QB next season