Cockfights attended by kids AND cops

Posted in the London Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

London, KY

#1 Feb 23, 2010
http://www.lex18.com/news/humane-society-rele...

"It's apparently nothing extraordinary to some people in Kentucky, but The Humane Society of the United States says they are outraged by what they captured on hidden video at cockfights in parts of Clay County.
That includes children standing around a State Police Trooper who they claim is not enforcing any laws that are being broken.
"That is sending a message to young children that you can pick and choose what laws you want to follow. That cockfighting is ok. These gambling houses are ok and that is a very, very disturbing message to be sending," says John Goodwin with HSUS."
hillbilly

Richmond, KY

#2 Feb 24, 2010
they don't want them buying votes,they don't want them rooster fighting,what's next?quit growing dope and get a job?
madmomeast

London, KY

#3 Feb 24, 2010
quite cry over everything if youwant to clean up what going on clean up the people inoffice they are all crookes so the people myelsedo what they want to ijust cant explanit on here thank you

Since: Aug 07

United States

#4 Feb 24, 2010
It just makes me sick to watch the video. These people are creating an unfair stereotype for the rest of the people in SE Kentucky, as if we don't have enough already. There were kids attending this event. It's bad enough that the sorry KSP Trooper was just hanging out at in uniform at an illegal event. Too much of the "good ol' boy" system in place. I do have to agree with "madmomeast" if we want change in the laws we have to change the lawmakers. Same is true with pseudophedrine. If we want people to stop making meth and putting children at risk, then we must find a way to change the laws. But, when law enforcement isn't enforcing the law, we have a bigger problem. Just my opinion...
Old Man

United States

#5 Feb 24, 2010
There are crooked cops everywhere you go, not just in Ky. But it seems like we have more than our fair share of them in SE Ky. and always have. And you never see in the news where a cop is caught doing something crooked in Ky. Those State boys in the Clay Co. video should loose their jobs. They were probably getting a kickback by the guy running the place to keep other cops away.

Since: Mar 09

London, KY

#6 Feb 24, 2010
http://www.kentucky.com/2009/06/13/829267/sec...

"...paid a $20 admission fee..."

WOW! Plus concessions and entry fees and gambling...can you imagine how much they rake in!

"Jeffersonville Mayor Anthony Henderson said there are "a lot worse problems out there than somebody cockfighting,"

When they are outlawed in other states they come to good ole' ky:

"Richard Abshire, president of the Louisiana company that now owns Bayou Springs, would not talk about what goes on there."

"Abshire, 35, was charged in March after Louisiana State Police raided the Little Bayou Club, a cockfighting pit in Sulphur, La., said police spokesman Sgt. Stephen La Fargue. That raid — the first since Louisiana's cockfighting law went into effect in 2008 — seized 635 birds as well as cockfighting implements."

Stumbo's opinion:

"Meanwhile, House Speaker Greg Stumbo, a former attorney general, said he's not sure cockfighting should be illegal. "A lot of people argue that it's a tradition in our country — dates back to Thomas Jefferson and George Washington," Stumbo said."

I do believe we have had to outlaw a lot of "traditions" from that time, LOL!

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/02/24/1154319/vi...

"The cockfighting pits in Central Tennessee were being used as venues by a drug cartel in Mexico to traffic narcotics. The people who are involved in cockfighting are not good,upstanding citizens. They are criminals."

Just what we need! LOL!

http://www.lex18.com/news/humane-society-rele...

“Feed U Fish Heads”

Since: May 09

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Feb 24, 2010
It does look bad having law enforcement hanging around and enjoying the show. I have a dumb question. What is behind cockfighting being illegal when one can purchase a plump delicious capon at the supermarket? Death is death regardless.
TAX FREE

United States

#8 Feb 24, 2010
TAX FREE money. You bet the feds are gonna eventually stop it.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#9 Feb 24, 2010
To answer your question concerning the death of the supermarket chicken versus the death of a "fighter chicken". In my personal opinion, death is NOT death "regardless". Why do we not use a guillotine to cut off people's heads or hang them from the highest tower as punishment for horrific crimes? It's INHUMANE! My husband worked in sales and serviced a "chicken processing plant". They do not tie spikes to their legs and let them just fight it out to a bitter death so that Colonel Sanders can serve you a fried leg on a plate. And before you get into the weeds with me, I am not a vegetarian animal rights activist. I am just your average meat-eating citizen who cares about our county and the impact of corruption on our communities. I also think that the Trooper AND GREG STUMBO should lose their jobs because of their ignorance!!!!
pseudophedrine

Greenbrier, AR

#10 Feb 24, 2010
babybear1973 wrote:
It just makes me sick to watch the video. These people are creating an unfair stereotype for the rest of the people in SE Kentucky, as if we don't have enough already. There were kids attending this event. It's bad enough that the sorry KSP Trooper was just hanging out at in uniform at an illegal event. Too much of the "good ol' boy" system in place. I do have to agree with "madmomeast" if we want change in the laws we have to change the lawmakers. Same is true with pseudophedrine. If we want people to stop making meth and putting children at risk, then we must find a way to change the laws. But, when law enforcement isn't enforcing the law, we have a bigger problem. Just my opinion...
Well Then..........Don't watch it......
so dumb

Somerset, KY

#11 Feb 24, 2010
oh gosh its just a chicken fight woopie doo..lets cry about it..and it dont cost 20 to get in it cost 11..but no i wouldnt let my kids go there..but i do..and its not a big deal
OMG

United States

#12 Feb 24, 2010
No it's not a big deal to people that don't care to break the law. Rooster fighting and gambling is all against the law. But again if you don't have a problem with breaking the law then it's no big deal.
so dumb

Somerset, KY

#13 Feb 24, 2010
its not illegal to fight chickens its illegal to gamble..and i dont gamble..and dont you think if it was the police would have done something that night..i was there that night the cop came down there..its not a big deal
just want to know

Ripley, TN

#14 Feb 24, 2010
are they gonna be open this weekend. i haven't been to a fight in a couple of years. i wonder if that was at cj's.

“Feed U Fish Heads”

Since: May 09

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Feb 24, 2010
babybear1973 wrote:
To answer your question concerning the death of the supermarket chicken versus the death of a "fighter chicken". In my personal opinion, death is NOT death "regardless". Why do we not use a guillotine to cut off people's heads or hang them from the highest tower as punishment for horrific crimes? It's INHUMANE! My husband worked in sales and serviced a "chicken processing plant". They do not tie spikes to their legs and let them just fight it out to a bitter death so that Colonel Sanders can serve you a fried leg on a plate. And before you get into the weeds with me, I am not a vegetarian animal rights activist. I am just your average meat-eating citizen who cares about our county and the impact of corruption on our communities. I also think that the Trooper AND GREG STUMBO should lose their jobs because of their ignorance!!!!
Thank you for taking the time to answer that. So basically it's about the inhumanity. Okay.. Let’s look at the life of a chicken that goes to good ole Colonel Sanders. When the time comes for these birds to be added to value meal #3 aren't they placed on some conveyor belt and steamed to death? That does not sound too humane, I think a human would rather die fighting to death than being tied to a conveyor belt and steamed alive. I heard that some chicken raisers keep chickens in a 2x2 foot box or something like that. Sounds like the concentration camps the Jews had to endure during German occupation of WWII. How is that considered humane?
Why can't this be simply seen as some chickens die to fill our bellies and some chickens die to fill our wallets? C'mon, it's fun watching chickens die.
u bet

United States

#16 Feb 24, 2010
TAX FREE wrote:
TAX FREE money. You bet the feds are gonna eventually stop it.
and if the cops wasn't getting pay-off money, they would not support it either.
crooks liars and thieves stick together like 2 peas on one pod.
birds of a feather flock together.

but like you said: when the feds get in just right, they will stop it because theres nothing in it for them.
buuuut, i dont know maybe local police can launder and disguise the monies to look like legal trades are going on.
so dumb

Somerset, KY

#17 Feb 24, 2010
that was at laurel creek..they should be open this week..
neighbor

United States

#18 Feb 24, 2010
yea like how are they gonna cock-fight when society becomes cashless and paperless. how will they disguise the launder digital monies?

will they say: i bet you this year's crop against that old plow or haybine by the barn?

whatever will they do?
RedneckForSure

Doniphan, MO

#19 Feb 24, 2010
Really, I could give a crap about whether it's humane vs inhumane. The bottom line for me is it's just another trashy stereotype tagged on our state. We have cockfighting arenas with vending and gambling? Jesus, what a friggin embarassment. And, spare me any lecture about leaving if I don't like it. I grew up a Kentuckian and will die as much, but this part of the state is the armpit of our commonwealth.
RedneckForSure

Doniphan, MO

#20 Feb 24, 2010
Arcturus Exar wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for taking the time to answer that. So basically it's about the inhumanity. Okay.. Let’s look at the life of a chicken that goes to good ole Colonel Sanders. When the time comes for these birds to be added to value meal #3 aren't they placed on some conveyor belt and steamed to death? That does not sound too humane, I think a human would rather die fighting to death than being tied to a conveyor belt and steamed alive. I heard that some chicken raisers keep chickens in a 2x2 foot box or something like that. Sounds like the concentration camps the Jews had to endure during German occupation of WWII. How is that considered humane?
Why can't this be simply seen as some chickens die to fill our bellies and some chickens die to fill our wallets? C'mon, it's fun watching chickens die.
Generally I've agreed on some of your posts, but this don't make a bit of sense. You're actually trying to compare a chicken processing plant to Auschwitz? Think about that for awhile!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Laurel Cookie Factory -- what do you think? (Jun '08) 1 min Davey 9,297
Jackie Steele (Nov '08) 16 min Xyz 12
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Patriot 151,736
Why does this site have such selective censorin... 2 hr Farm_er 4
Empty buildings 2 hr Bob 2
Single woman over 40 (Aug '15) 3 hr Dumptrucker 187
Ricky Smallwood friend 4 hr Get a life 86

London Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

London Mortgages