First Prev
of 2
Next Last
eli

Pineville, KY

#22 Feb 29, 2012
Experience wrote:
Try Bluegrass Grotto or Cincinnati Grotto. Both groups do quite a bit of caving in the Rockcastle and Pulaski County areas. Did you try the grotto group near Barbourville? They have a website, but will never call back. I don't know what's up with that. Bluegrass used to do beginning member trips at Pine Hill Cave and at Crooked Creek cave in Rockcastle. Both, especially CC, are awesome caves with quite a bit of belly crawling through small passages.
If nothing else works, hook up with the folks at Louisville Grotto. They've done a few trips at Sloans Valley, but most of their caving is in Breckinridge and Hardin counties. I went on Sloans Valley trip three years ago with L'ville and was amazed at the size of Sloans. That is one cave system that you better have some experienced guides with you. It's a huge system with tons of side passages and systems. It wouldn't take much to get hopelessly lost in there. Sloans Valley is the closest thing to Mammoth-I didn't really see a ton of rock formations, it's basically several huge tunnels.
I hope you have luck trying to find some caving connections here. There are tons of caves in Pulaski county alone. And it's a shame there aren't more people to share the hobby with. The grotto folks are pretty cool, but they can also be standoffish. I never really was able to get in with the Bluegrass folks, always got a snobby vibe from them. So I started hooking up with the guys from Louisville.
If you're wanting to go solo-don't do it. Unless you're wanting something extremely simple like the Dykes Bridge Cave over on 192. It's basically the size of a subway tunnel and is probably .3 mile long, with tons of graffiti and crap left by partiers. There are several caves along Buck Creek in Pulaski if you can find some people to go along with. I've never been, but I hear that Wells Cave is fantastic. You can also venture north to Rockcastle county. Lots of locals have been to Sinks of the Roundstone (Mullens Station). Everytime I've been there, I've seen beer cans and caught a whiff of pot smoke. So, it's a partying cave. I wouldn't do Sinks alone, it can flood QUICKLY and there are some confusing turns. It's not as vast as Sloans Valley, but it only takes one wrong turn and panic can set in. Pine Hill is great, as is Climax and Smokehole. Crooked Creek is my personal favorite, but good luck with getting access to it.
You won't find any caves in Laurel County, or at least I never have. The geology here is very different than the karst terrain in Pulaski and Rockcastle. I'm sure there's some small caves somewhere, but all I've ever found is rock shelters in the side of cliffs.
Let me know if you find anyone, or, if nothing else, let's trade emails and I can give you more info. Maybe a few others on here would be interested and we can do some caving. I've been wanting to cave for a couple of years, but I usually can't find people, and don't feel like driving to Lousville.
We try to go caving atleast once a week in pulaski and surrounding area's! We are always looking to meet fellow cavers and find new locations! [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min know 166,370
Can Christians Backslide and Go to Hell? (Nov '08) 56 min MikePeralta 431
Bannon is Out!!!! 5 hr Duh 2
trump 7 hr Notaclownfan 17
laurel co schools open during eclipse 8 hr Old Joe 8
Laurel Cookie Factory -- what do you think? (Jun '08) 10 hr TiredofBS 9,503
Eclipse Glasses 10 hr _Peach_ 3

London Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

London Mortgages