BIG

Lexington, KY

#61 Aug 1, 2008
windmill wrote:
Isn,t Kevin Riley and Mark Carson cousins and played together in high school. I heard they were tough in football in their younger years. I think Kevin should be in the hall of fame because he held several records in track and field. He also played college basketball for Sue Bennett under the lawyer Ken Sizemore. I think Sam Baker played also at SB aand he is in the hall of fame.
I think you are probably right, I will ask my neighbor who kept up with people in that age group when he comes in tonigh. I know Kevin Riley's name sure rings a bell - it's hard for any one person to know all the GOOD athletes from the Laurel County area because people were interested in sports at different eras seems like. If that Riley, is who I am thinking about, you are right, he needs to be in the LC Hall Of Fame.
Flying Biscuit

London, KY

#62 Aug 1, 2008
Big Bean wrote:
I think Bennie Wyatt was the best athlete ever.
He had an impressive Larry Bird dunk and his spaghetti tasted like sh*t.
BIG

Lexington, KY

#63 Aug 1, 2008
LondonTransplant wrote:
<quoted text>
I have also heard the Darrin McWhorter was a tenacious football player.
I remember his Sr. year, everytime you picked up a newspaper he was Player Of The Week, the Coaches were who voted on that. He along with the Williams kid (that played at EKU) were 2 from LC their Sr. year to receive the Tri County Player of the week award from the Corbin Time Tribune. My niece kept the articles, I just saw them in her scrapbook the other night, she graduated with them.

Someone told me that Mcwhorter, had all but signed to go to WKU, my niece said they courted him all year and then Union made a grand grab for him by a new coach that came in to Union the year he graduated and he went up there.

Doug McIntosh, last time I heard from someone in the area that knew him, said he was a Preacher somewhere.

Bobby Taylor, was a good Basketball player,(Guard) my Boss mentioned him last evening he played at London and Lily back in the late 60's, I guess.

Lonnie Edwards, was a good hind catcher at Bush. Someone told me at lunch yesterday that he and Kenny Davis maybe both tried out for the Reds baseball teams they thought?
Wondering

Danville, KY

#64 Aug 1, 2008
What about Crystal McClenney, she was really good at basketball and played other sports too. I think even still hold a few records.
family dog

London, KY

#65 Aug 1, 2008
The three greatest all around athletes ever in Laurel County (1) Richard Riley (2) Ernest Matt House (3) Chris Berry. These three excelled in three major sports (football, basketball, baseball) which now is rarely seen.
Tripod

London, KY

#66 Aug 1, 2008
Flying Biscuit wrote:
<quoted text>
He had an impressive Larry Bird dunk and his spaghetti tasted like sh*t.
I liked it when he rubbed my belly.
Big Bean

London, KY

#67 Aug 1, 2008
U people are crazy. Bennie Wyatt was and always will be the greatest athlete ever in Laurel County
Windmill

London, KY

#68 Aug 1, 2008
What does it take to get into the hall of fame here and who picks? Just wondering why he's not there yet. It seems like these Riley's can play sports, Do you know of anymore of them.
Big Bean

London, KY

#69 Aug 1, 2008
Bennie should definitely be in the hall of fame
Peggy

London, KY

#70 Aug 1, 2008
What about Al Bundy? He once ran for 4 touchdowns in a single game.
Con-chair-toe

London, KY

#71 Aug 1, 2008
Windmill wrote:
What does it take to get into the hall of fame here and who picks? Just wondering why he's not there yet. It seems like these Riley's can play sports, Do you know of anymore of them.
Barry Riley.
Stunner

London, KY

#72 Aug 1, 2008
John Riley, yu-yu-yu, he pullin, he pullin.
Stunner

London, KY

#73 Aug 1, 2008
Big Bean wrote:
U people are crazy. Bennie Wyatt was and always will be the greatest athlete ever in Laurel County
Dear Big Bean, do you know where Bennie Wyatt is? I'm trying to find him, he owes me a case of PBR and a coffee pot.
Big Bean

London, KY

#74 Aug 1, 2008
I still say Bennie(conehead) Wyatt.
Big Bean

London, KY

#75 Aug 1, 2008
No idea Stunner. He still owes me money for 2 goats and groundhog.
BIG

Lexington, KY

#76 Aug 1, 2008
family dog wrote:
The three greatest all around athletes ever in Laurel County (1) Richard Riley (2) Ernest Matt House (3) Chris Berry. These three excelled in three major sports (football, basketball, baseball) which now is rarely seen.
Harold Robinson, did the same thing back in the late 60's at old London High School, so say some at Weavers at Lunch time today. Glen Williams, did the same thing in the 80's according to my niece, not so unusual maybe? They were both pretty good at all three sports according to the up-town lunch crowd.
BIG

Lexington, KY

#77 Aug 1, 2008
Windmill wrote:
There used to be a committee that selected the nominations each year, someone from the Optimist Club, Sentinel Echo, Library, Rotary Club, Historical Society maybe, seems like someone at Lowes told me that one year after some nominees came out in the Sentinel Echo. Seems like that was about this time of year, or close to school starting back perhaps? I do not remember all the details. I know they have pics of people that are in it on display somewhere, because I have heard people talking about seeing them, but not even sure about where that set up is even. Anyone know?
hands down

London, KY

#78 Aug 1, 2008
hands down GJ Smith was the best athlete to ever come out of Laurel Co. could have played div. 1
baseball or basketball.
Money Mama

Richmond, KY

#79 Aug 1, 2008
What about Sara Hawkins and her softball career from South Laurel?
joe

London, KY

#80 Aug 1, 2008
What about Joe Smiraldo!! He was one of the best 3 sport stars to come out of Laurel County! I think he graduated in 90 or 91!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr dollarsbill 132,146
Joyce Meyer-the multimillionaire hypocrite (Oct '10) 3 hr far away 112
KU Customers! 4 hr Miyuu 13
Josh Blackburn 4 hr baldrockbitch 1
Kroger 5 hr checker 3
any restaurants open 6 hr harley 2
Murder Investigation in McCreary County 11 hr jfj 2
London Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

London News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in London

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:45 am PST

NFL10:45AM
One Preview: Steelers could ride 'Triplets' to division title
NFL11:45 AM
Injury roundup: A.J. Green misses Bengals practice
NBC Sports12:17 PM
Jurrell Casey won't go to Pro Bowl as an alternate
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"