Best Athlete Ever from Laurel County?

Posted in the London Forum

First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

Covington, KY

#1 Jul 30, 2008
Laurel County has had it share of great athletes over the years. I know that Hazel Green had some great basketball teams in the 60's even though I wasn't alive to witness them. More recently, one of the all time greatest moments was when Paul Andrews hit the amazing 41 foot shot to win the Kentucky state basketball championship back in 1982. He went on to play at UK. I was just a child when this occured.

I also remember living next to Brett and Todd Bearup who both played at Laurel County and UK. I believe there we originally from UTAH and atleast one of them is a NBA recruiter.

With no doubt, Stacy Reed Shepherd was the greatest female basketball player I have ever seen from Laurel County. She was simply amazing and was involved in 2 state basketball championships in 1987 and 1991.

One of the best basketball players I ever seen in Laurel County was James Price. Never was a star in organized basketball at Laurel County, but I can remember seeing him run at jump just a few feet in from the free through line and dunking it. He made moves that were really incredible--one man wrecking crew.

Just wondering who are the greatest athletes everyone else has seen in Laurel County. It can be any sport, any gender. For example, I have heard that a gentlemen by the name of Ken Lichens from Laurel has been one of the best bowhunters in the country with endorsement deals. They do call about anything a sport these days, including fishing--I don't think Rex and Dave down in Corbin would qualify. Isn't there a driver from London running in the 2nd tier NASCAR series?

I am getting sidetracked, what do you all think? Who are the best athletes you have ever seen from Laurel County?
Sly Fox

Mount Sherman, KY

#2 Jul 30, 2008
I have seen a few that are good runners....of their mouths at least...HA HA HA.....just jokin'
yah

Somerset, KY

#3 Jul 30, 2008
kelly day
basshole

Hazard, KY

#4 Jul 30, 2008
kelly day is a good choice.he was(and may still be)berea's alltime leading scorer.
wooooooohooooooo

Somerset, KY

#5 Jul 30, 2008
I agree on Reed however Lisa Collins and Sharon Garland have to mentioned in the same breathe as Reed, they just played in a different era.

There was a baseball player in the early 90's at LCHS maybe Edwards, don't remember his name though. Went to college and was all-state i believe. Also can't forget Brown? from SLHS played big time college baseball and of course Jon Hooker who played at UK.

Don't forget Ernest Thompson and Glenn Williams in football, both played at Eastern.
shut up

Somerset, KY

#6 Jul 30, 2008
kelly day?? okay...good athlete is not the same as great...sorry
wooooooohooooooo

Somerset, KY

#7 Jul 30, 2008
I agree on Reed however Lisa Collins and Sharon Garland have to mentioned in the same breathe as Reed, they just played in a different era.
There was a baseball player in the early 90's at LCHS maybe Edwards, don't remember his name though. Went to college and was all-state i believe. Also can't forget Brown? from SLHS played big time college baseball and of course Jon Hooker who played at UK.
Don't forget Ernest Thompson and Glenn Williams in football, both played at Eastern.
nice

London, KY

#8 Jul 30, 2008
Neil Warren! He broke all kind of records at South Laurel, and play in 2 national championships at Georgetown College. He was great!
laurel co man

London, KY

#9 Jul 30, 2008
How about Chris Berry?
Diamond Cutter

London, KY

#10 Jul 30, 2008
Chris Berry. Three sport athlete, that was actually great at all three.
Coach Bruner

United States

#11 Jul 30, 2008
Steve Bird was the best athlete ever from the Tri-Counties.
alison

Corbin, KY

#12 Jul 30, 2008
Neil Warren did not play in the two championships he was backup quarterback. I went to Georegetown College when he was there
Yep

Somerset, KY

#13 Jul 30, 2008
Glenn Williams - great player on a Nat. Champ. Team at EKU.

Brain Durham - Tailback at North and EKU. Beast of a football player.
Coach Bruner

United States

#14 Jul 30, 2008
Roger Jones, Tom Horvath, RC Thomas, Burley Foley, Pete Miller were all great players.
nice

London, KY

#15 Jul 30, 2008
alison wrote:
Neil Warren did not play in the two championships he was backup quarterback. I went to Georegetown College when he was there
I said he played. I didn't say he started. He did however start his last 2 years and took the team far into the playoffs. He was a great athlete, you have to admit!
baller

Brownsville, TN

#16 Jul 30, 2008
Becky Abner, awesome pitcher for north laurel
koai

Manchester, KY

#17 Jul 30, 2008
Mike "Mikie" Roberts is the best to ever wear a Laurel County uniform North of South so live with it.
Hello

London, KY

#18 Jul 30, 2008
Jeremy Brown is the best athlete ever to come out of Laurel County, He was a great baseball player and a great baskerball player. He was even a darn good quarterback in middleschool but chose to persue baseball and baskertball. With his size and arm strength he could have been an awesome quarterback in college and could have went further.
I love athletes

Vienna, VA

#19 Jul 30, 2008
nice wrote:
<quoted text>
I said he played. I didn't say he started. He did however start his last 2 years and took the team far into the playoffs. He was a great athlete, you have to admit!

You are right. Neil was the back up in 2000 and 2001 and was the starting QB in 02 and 03. He is a great athlete - he also played baseball, basketball & football at SL.
HAHA

Manchester, KY

#20 Jul 30, 2008
koai wrote:
Mike "Mikie" Roberts is the best to ever wear a Laurel County uniform North of South so live with it.
Are you kidding me???LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Mickey402 148,129
Albert Robinson 5 hr Shannon 3
college threatens woman who don't want to pee w... 7 hr Shannon 40
Just for fun... 7 hr proud American 17
state dept email shows clinton lied about benghazi 9 hr thomas 7
Dairy Dart Hamburgers (Sep '11) 11 hr Wheres The Beef 12
Looking for a log skidder operator. (Jul '15) 12 hr Justaguy 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

London Mortgages