Is it legal to record a conversation without the others knowledge?

Posted in the London Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
fluffy

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Just curious.

“Rainy Night N Georgia”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

fluffy wrote:
Just curious.
.the law reads;as long as one party knows it it is legal.you have to assume in some situations you will be taped,like on a phone.now if you are thinking about recording a conversation between your spouse and his or her g.f.b.f.that is illegal.neither one of them would know.
ehh

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

It is legal to record a conversation without the knowledge of the person IF you are in the room with them.
If you are not in the room with the people and you record them, then no it is illegal.
Tater

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Different stares have different laws regarding this, in some states it is a felony to record a conversation without the other partys knowledge, I don't know what the law is in Ky. tho.
concerned

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

As long as it's your property, it is not illegal, like if u put a recorder in your house or car to record your spouse, completely legal. I know because this has been done to me & I spoke with an attorney & to my surprise it's legal!
Old Man

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

KRS 526 covers Eavesdropping

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/526-00/CHAPTER.HTM

526.010 Definition.
The following definition applies in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
"Eavesdrop" means to overhear, record, amplify or transmit any part of a wire or oral communication of others without the consent of at least one (1) party thereto by means of any electronic, mechanical or other device.
Effective: January 1, 1975
History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 226, effective January 1, 1975.

526.020 Eavesdropping.
(1) A person is guilty of eavesdropping when he intentionally uses any device to eavesdrop, whether or not he is present at the time.
(2) Eavesdropping is a Class D felony.
History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 227, effective January 1, 1975.

526.030 Installing eavesdropping device.
(1) A person is guilty of installing an eavesdropping device when he intentionally installs or places such a device in any place with the knowledge that it is to be used for eavesdropping.
(2) Installing an eavesdropping device is a Class D felony.
History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 228, effective January 1, 1975.

526.070 Eavesdropping -- Exceptions.
A person is not guilty under this chapter when he:
(1) Inadvertently overhears the communication through a regularly installed telephone party line or on a telephone extension but does not divulge it; or
(2) Is an employee of a communications common carrier who, while acting in the course of his employment, intercepts, discloses or uses a communication transmitted through the facilities of his employer for a purpose which is a necessary incident to the rendition of the service or to the protection of the rights or the property of the carrier of such communication, provided however that communications common carriers shall not utilize service observing or random monitoring except for mechanical or service quality control checks.
Effective: June 19, 1976
History: Amended 1976 Ky. Acts ch. 230, sec. 1, effective June 19, 1976.-- Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 233, effective June 19, 1976.
Robo

Science Hill, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Judged:

It is a class D! Felony to record someone without telling them you are before.
Hello

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Judged:

It is legal to tape your conversation with anyone without their knowledge provided you are both in KY
ouch

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Judged:

WRONG! You shouldn't hack into their computer either db.

“Rainy Night N Georgia”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Judged:

concerned wrote:
As long as it's your property, it is not illegal, like if u put a recorder in your house or car to record your spouse, completely legal. I know because this has been done to me & I spoke with an attorney & to my surprise it's legal!
You had a bad attorney or the house and /or car belonged only to your wife.a man was indicted just last month for hacking his wifes email account,trying to find proof she was cheating.

“Rainy Night N Georgia”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

fluffy wrote:
Just curious.
Fluffy,i may be wrong but i suspect that the law has you or someone you love on tape.if so the rules all change .yes it is still illegal unless they get a judge to sign for a wiretap.but they almost always never follow the law.they will be the first to tell you that.if you have a good lawyer he or she may get it thrown out.but i wouldn't hold my breath.
ehh

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Judged:

I was told by an attorney that it was legal to record a conversation with you and someone else, without the others knowledge, IF you are both in the same room and in the same conversation. I was told that it WAS illegal to record a conversation without someones knowledge if you were not present in the room or the conversation.
psychic

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Judged:

ehh wrote:
I was told by an attorney that it was legal to record a conversation with you and someone else, without the others knowledge, IF you are both in the same room and in the same conversation. I was told that it WAS illegal to record a conversation without someones knowledge if you were not present in the room or the conversation.
if you wanna find out if someone has the hots for you, just ask them.
you cannot sue someone for loving you as long as they are not stalking you.
ehh

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

psychic wrote:
<quoted text>if you wanna find out if someone has the hots for you, just ask them.
you cannot sue someone for loving you as long as they are not stalking you.
Uh, what are you talking about?
crystal ball

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

My crystal ball tells me it was all a joke & I was made out to be the stalker. A set up. Love? No one's in love with me.
trouble

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

I know the maid didn't do it. I think the BUTLER did it. lol
sherlock holmes

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

No I think the mail man did it.
Cannot

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

It would not be permitted to be used in Court.
sherlock holmes

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

Naaa the Butler would be to obvious. The maid is'nt smart enough to have known how. I think someone should ask the police. LMAO
is niceness really a word

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2011

KY has a no fault divorce law don't they? Why would someone record cell phone? Other than to prove something or hurt someone's feelings. Accomplished btw.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

58 Users are viewing the London Forum right now

Search the London Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 7 min Anne52 81,207
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 13 min Yiago 122,695
World War III ?? 22 min Kinda 12
Laurel County Judge Executive 2014 25 min I agree 378
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 54 min Le Jimbo 138,630
Government defiance 3 hr --Crack Rabbit-- 23
add a word--drop a word (Apr '10) 6 hr Healing arts 794
Feds Back Down From Bundy Siege 18 hr TedBundy 184
•••
•••
•••
•••

London Jobs

•••
•••
•••

London People Search