Are You Frugal?
Queen of Frugal

London, KY

#1 Nov 24, 2012
Most of our income comes in during the summer so we are frugal and saving but always looking for other ways to save. We use coupons exclusively, make our own laundry soap and fabric softener, go to bed fairly early to cut down on the use of lights. Keep everything unplugged unless we are using it. I am very handy with sewing, crafts, word working, cooking, baking, etc so I make most all gifts. I am always looking to things to barter on. Plus a few more things but what are some of the things you do to save money?

I didn't start this post for people to put down or shame others I would genuinely like for this to be a helpful post especially with winter time bills coming in and the holidays.
Great

Elizabethtown, KY

#2 Nov 24, 2012
Queen of Frugal wrote:
Most of our income comes in during the summer so we are frugal and saving but always looking for other ways to save. We use coupons exclusively, make our own laundry soap and fabric softener, go to bed fairly early to cut down on the use of lights. Keep everything unplugged unless we are using it. I am very handy with sewing, crafts, word working, cooking, baking, etc so I make most all gifts. I am always looking to things to barter on. Plus a few more things but what are some of the things you do to save money?
I didn't start this post for people to put down or shame others I would genuinely like for this to be a helpful post especially with winter time bills coming in and the holidays.
Way to go! Good to hear there are still people out there who have this skill.
Frugal too

Chicago, IL

#3 Nov 24, 2012
If you are on facebook, there are numerous pages of just the type if stuff you are talking about. Also the homesteading groups are great. You can also try to google homesteading blogs and get some good ideas that way. Another great page its Pinterest. Has so many ideas! Hope this helps!
Just Wonder

London, KY

#4 Nov 24, 2012
Queen of Frugal wrote:
I am not trying to be a smartazz but look up what each of your electric stuff costs to run,your lights are at the very bottom of the list,so unless you just like going to bed early,you aren't saving but maybe 20 cents there.I go after the stuff that counts,water heater,heaters,cooking stoves,if it runs 220 you can expect it to be costly.Always run full loads of everything,dish and clothes and dryers,for even 1 or 2 degrees you turn down your furnace you will save a ton,also put the water heater on a lower temp.
makes sense

Lexington, KY

#5 Nov 26, 2012
Listia is a great place to barter. You put the things you want to trade up for auction, then you earn credits to purchase the items you want.
Insane

London, KY

#6 Nov 26, 2012
makes sense wrote:
Listia is a great place to barter. You put the things you want to trade up for auction, then you earn credits to purchase the items you want.
I've thought about it,but i'd be afraid anything they had i already have.Have you used it and got anything usefull ?
makes sense

Manchester, KY

#7 Nov 26, 2012
I got rid of a shirt...I used my credits to get a jacket and a beautiful jewelry set with necklace,earings, bracelet, and still have some credits to spare. There are lots of craft supplies, and other things for frugal people, even coupons.
good

London, KY

#8 Nov 27, 2012
Water heater insulated blanket. I use the bread stores for breads. cakes and snacks for my children and grandchildren. We grind our own deer up and mix in one third of ground beef, use same as ground beef chili, tacos, meatloaf, spagetti, sliders, hamburgers. We also make deer jerky. Shop venders malls all year for great gifts. I outfitted both grand children with snow boots and snow cover alls for $24.00.Two pair rollerblades for $16.00. We buy a whole beef once a year.This also cuts down on store visits which cuts down on impulse buying and the What to cook days, just have something made with hamburger meat.
Cheap Bastard

Flat Lick, KY

#9 Nov 27, 2012
Queen of Frugal wrote:
Turn off your computer. That'll save $$$ on your juice bill.
heartless

United States

#10 Nov 27, 2012
Cheap Bastard wrote:
<quoted text>
Turn off your computer. That'll save $$$ on your juice bill.
There's a heartless smart a** in every crowd. Grow up!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr nanoanomaly 163,735
King James 2 hr Tampons R Us 1
suntan city 5 hr dontlike 3
Laurel Cookie Factory -- what do you think? (Jun '08) 14 hr Yep 9,445
Schumer let little girl get molested 15 hr Fox News 10
I Guess It Is Time To Impeach 16 hr Fox News 26
The Seth Rich Murder 16 hr Haha 7

London Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

London Mortgages