Native Son KY

AOL

#22 Feb 12, 2008
Swissman wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone still go to swiss colony baptist church or has hawk creek closed them down too?
What do you mean about getting dressed up???
I was referring to a TV based ministry ie Joel Osteen and that one would have to dressed up for LIVE TV & don't pick your nose etc. That's the media for most megachurches , if Hawk Creek grows into that type church, which it looks like that's the goal. That's the WalMart mentality & strategy.

Since: Jan 08

Corbin, KY

#23 Feb 12, 2008
Sorry Native Son KY, I just don't get what you are trying to say. But then maybe I'm just slow.
bible beater

Corbin, KY

#24 Feb 12, 2008
Juan the Baptist wrote:
Well, Hawk Creek hasn't come knocking at my door to recruit me into their flock but I understand they are quite good at knocking on the doors of the wealthy.
All of this to pay for their new church? So do you think just regular everyday folks won't be welcome?
Bus Driver

Corbin, KY

#27 Feb 12, 2008
Juan the Baptist wrote:
Everyday folks will be welcome but they sure won't be part of the church "power" structure and elite group of decision-makers. They will do the work, drive the buses, volunteer for the work details, etc. Can you see Dr. Shoptaw and Warren Scoville driving a church van? The money people will be put into the decision club heirarchy just because they're the "smart" ones who can "lead" the flock. The whole thing sickens me. If this is an example of a humble flock count me out. This is man's example of a popularity contest and social club - just wait and see. Besides, the young pastor (age 24) needs to grow a little kindness. He's not even very personable.
I DEFINITELY can see Dr. Shoptaw driving the church van. He may be a physician and surgeon, but he is a very down-to-earth fella. I have worked with him for the past 2 1/2 years and have never seen a "better than thou" attitude from him.

I don't know anything about Hawk Creek church or the new pastor.
Juan the Baptist

London, KY

#28 Feb 13, 2008
Shoptaw was a deacon in his previous church and left for no reason. Church is about reaching out to the lost - not reaching out to the affluent and wealthy. Hawk Creek is in for it. I feel sorry for the old timers there who have been the heart of that church for 50 years. The church is now about growth, numbers, building a 3 million dollar building, and recruting tithers. What would Jesus do?
Sadie Glutz

Madisonville, KY

#29 Feb 13, 2008
Juan the Baptist wrote:
Shoptaw was a deacon in his previous church and left for no reason. Church is about reaching out to the lost - not reaching out to the affluent and wealthy. Hawk Creek is in for it. I feel sorry for the old timers there who have been the heart of that church for 50 years. The church is now about growth, numbers, building a 3 million dollar building, and recruting tithers. What would Jesus do?
Isn't that the way of all churches? The devil gets in the details.

Versailles, KY

#30 Feb 13, 2008
I wish I could just get motivated to attend church. I am letting too many hypocrits keep me from going to any of them. I know I will never find a church with perfect people and you arent' supposed to go for the people but I just worship in my own way and stay out of the churches. I am ready for the torture to begin now.
Axl40741

Tyner, KY

#31 Feb 13, 2008
you know Bigmaw alot of people are doing the same; i have family that won't attend church because of all the gossip that goes on. I think it is so sad that we have the freedom of religion and take it for granite. Church should be Holy Ground and worship the Lord, not a social club. Keep the faith Bigmaw, the Lord still blesses you!!

Corbin, KY

#32 Feb 13, 2008
Juan the Baptist wrote:
I am sure that he left for a reason. Just because you don't know the reason does not mean that "he left for no reason" there is always a reason.
old tymer

Corbin, KY

#33 Feb 13, 2008
We need to be praying for this church and their growth not on this site trying to tear down their members.
Sadie Glutz

Madisonville, KY

#34 Feb 13, 2008
Bigmaw wrote:
I wish I could just get motivated to attend church. I am letting too many hypocrits keep me from going to any of them. I know I will never find a church with perfect people and you arent' supposed to go for the people but I just worship in my own way and stay out of the churches. I am ready for the torture to begin now.
No torture for people who speak the truth.
disciple

London, KY

#35 Feb 13, 2008
I LEFT THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH TO GO TO HAWK CREEK,
THE CREEK IS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO LAUREL CO IN THE PAST FIFTY YEARS. THE CROWDS ARE GETTING BIGGER AND BETTER, NO MORE DRY RITUALISTIC WORSHIP! THE SPIRIT FLOWS ,,I NEVER SAW ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN MY FORMER CHURCH. YOU MUST COME AND DISCOVER FOR YOURSELF, YOU TAKE A SIX WEEK COURSE IF YOU WANT TO JOIN THE CHURCH: ITS ABOUT THEIR DOCTRINE. I PASS MANY EMPTY CHURCHES ON MY WAY TO HAWK CREEK. THIS IS SAD BUT I GUESS ITS THE GREAT FALLING AWAY...COME ON AND TRY US ...YOULL LIKE US!!!!!!!!
ACTS MAN

London, KY

#36 Feb 13, 2008
disciple wrote:
I LEFT THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH TO GO TO HAWK CREEK,
THE CREEK IS THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO LAUREL CO IN THE PAST FIFTY YEARS. THE CROWDS ARE GETTING BIGGER AND BETTER, NO MORE DRY RITUALISTIC WORSHIP! THE SPIRIT FLOWS ,,I NEVER SAW ANYTHING LIKE THIS IN MY FORMER CHURCH. YOU MUST COME AND DISCOVER FOR YOURSELF, YOU TAKE A SIX WEEK COURSE IF YOU WANT TO JOIN THE CHURCH: ITS ABOUT THEIR DOCTRINE. I PASS MANY EMPTY CHURCHES ON MY WAY TO HAWK CREEK. THIS IS SAD BUT I GUESS ITS THE GREAT FALLING AWAY...COME ON AND TRY US ...YOULL LIKE US!!!!!!!!
WHAT KIND OF DOCTRINAL CLASS AND STATEMENT DO YOU HAVE TO AGREE TOO? IS IT TRUE THEY BELIEVE ALL SPIRITUAL GIFTS HAVE CEASED?
hart member

London, KY

#37 Feb 13, 2008
Haewk creek has definately taken alot of our member, but i wish them well, we need to try to go out and get just the average person to come to church, dont worry about money and influence and what their political ideas are..jesus died for all of them.
Broken Record

London, KY

#38 Feb 13, 2008
Bigmaw wrote:
Torture would be sitting and watching Warren Scoville act like he is a changed man. LOL He totally trashes people. I hope the faithful members see through him. I guess we will see if they sell their souls for a bigger church.

Versailles, KY

#43 Feb 13, 2008
Broken Record wrote:
<quoted text>
Torture would be sitting and watching Warren Scoville act like he is a changed man. LOL He totally trashes people. I hope the faithful members see through him. I guess we will see if they sell their souls for a bigger church.
I agree, watching any hypocrite like that would most def. be torture. I guess I am getting more support from my comment than I expected. Thanks.
Trust No Man

London, KY

#46 Feb 14, 2008
If everyone would be as concerned about going and telling others about Christ and his love for us as they are talking about Hawk Creek & others Churches, all the Churches in the Community would be full. We should be concerned about seeing the lost saved and not what Chruch is the Biggest!

Corbin, KY

#47 Feb 14, 2008
Bigmaw are you saying that Warren Scoville goes to that church?

Since: Feb 08

London

#52 Feb 14, 2008
I have been a member of HCBC for 30 years and yes we have changed, changed for the better. Is it not God's will for a Church to grow and prosper? The Doors of so many people have been knocked upon, Rich or Poor, White or Black, it doesn't matter. We welcome all. I'm sure there are people in every church who are not what they claim to be, but that's not for us to judge. If your curious as to what is going on, please come and visit and you'll see for yourself what is going on and I can guarantee you'll be glad you did.

Before I go, I just ask that instead of tearing down the Church, please pray that God's will be done and that souls keep coming to Christ. This is what it's all about....
thank

London, KY

#53 Feb 15, 2008
Braveheart_1971 wrote:
I have been a member of HCBC for 30 years and yes we have changed, changed for the better. Is it not God's will for a Church to grow and prosper? The Doors of so many people have been knocked upon, Rich or Poor, White or Black, it doesn't matter. We welcome all. I'm sure there are people in every church who are not what they claim to be, but that's not for us to judge. If your curious as to what is going on, please come and visit and you'll see for yourself what is going on and I can guarantee you'll be glad you did.
Before I go, I just ask that instead of tearing down the Church, please pray that God's will be done and that souls keep coming to Christ. This is what it's all about....
Thanks for sharing that and you are right.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 46 min aWitchintheWoods 137,850
London Bingo 4 hr Bingo Player 5
bingo at london ky (Jul '09) 4 hr Bingo Player 2
fake christians 7 hr Imperfection 40
add a word--drop a word (Apr '10) 10 hr Princess Hey 1,025
New Keneland Race tract 16 hr To Hot 44
is the law about drop outs going back if under ... 17 hr pokey 6
More from around the web

London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]