Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,107

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#95688 Mar 5, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Clearly, the religies grasp at anything to support their nothing.
Hebrews 11:1 sums it up.
No achievement of man or mannequin is more appropriate than a congregation full of Peanuts saluting each other.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95689 Mar 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are semantically nitpicking. That practice is playing with a cat's cradle in Plato's cave after the fire went out.
YaA's belief system (faith) is based in fideism. He throws out critical thought in favor of absurdity.
WITW was criticizing that practice, offering instead that she prefers rationalism.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
- David Hume
it's your belief. rock that cradle all you wish.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95690 Mar 5, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Clearly, the religies grasp at anything to support their nothing.
transfer of belief
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95691 Mar 5, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
There is no kjv god, and never will be, bull excrement is real and religies spew it constantly.
transfer of belief
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95692 Mar 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Hebrews 11:1 sums it up.
No achievement of man or mannequin is more appropriate than a congregation full of Peanuts saluting each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =wCy8MpT45gkXX
is this the ridicule that hume spoke of?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#95693 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>is this the ridicule that hume spoke of?
Might be ridicule, sarcasm, irony, contempt - or is it an allegory?

"faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" NYEWM....

The shadows play upon the wall - feel free ruminate on what color they are.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95694 Mar 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Might be ridicule, sarcasm, irony, contempt - or is it an allegory?
"faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" NYEWM....
The shadows play upon the wall - feel free ruminate on what color they are.
hypothesis is the idea of things not yet fully tested and realized. proof of things not yet ABSOLUTE.

the names and faces change but the actions remain all to familiar and natural.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#95695 Mar 5, 2013
"transfer of belief
transfer of belief
polly want a cracker
(bird sound here)"
Lmao, the delusional speak.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#95696 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>hypothesis is the idea of things not yet fully tested and realized. proof of things not yet ABSOLUTE.
the names and faces change but the actions remain all to familiar and natural.
A recipe is the promise of a foregone conclusion - except in my kitchen, where it becomes a Moliere script and when tested and realized becomes far gone concoction.
Proof is often times a transient misunderstanding and absolutes are always and certainly questionable.
Joe Friday changed the names, Max Factor changed the faces, there is nothing new under the sun (though I don't know the last time someone lifted it and checked) and inaction is the ultimate achievement of potential. In theory, I might have a hypothetical familiar that is a purple cat, but he's no where to be seen in nature. I knew I never should have trusted that Schrodinger guy to watch him.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95697 Mar 5, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
"transfer of belief
transfer of belief
polly want a cracker
(bird sound here)"
you speaking from experience, or from belief?
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95698 Mar 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
A recipe is the promise of a foregone conclusion - except in my kitchen, where it becomes a Moliere script and when tested and realized becomes far gone concoction.
Proof is often times a transient misunderstanding and absolutes are always and certainly questionable.
Joe Friday changed the names, Max Factor changed the faces, there is nothing new under the sun (though I don't know the last time someone lifted it and checked) and inaction is the ultimate achievement of potential. In theory, I might have a hypothetical familiar that is a purple cat, but he's no where to be seen in nature. I knew I never should have trusted that Schrodinger guy to watch him.
what comes around, goes around. tends to be all one sided.

and the mobius band played on

round and round it goes. where it began, nobody knows
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95699 Mar 5, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
"transfer of belief
transfer of belief
polly want a cracker
(bird sound here)"
atheism as a belief system

At its simplest, pantheism can be ontologically indistinguishable from atheism. Such a pantheism would be belief in nothing beyond the physical universe, but associated with emotions of wonder and awe similar to those that we find in religious belief.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agn...

&#9632;the atheist who believes in reincarnation or some other form of afterlife
&#9632;the atheist who worships “Reason” as if it was something existing outside us
&#9632;the atheist who sees intelligence in the universe, or believes the universe operates by inherent & fundamental scientific laws.
&#9632;the atheist who believes in the principle of sufficient reason

http://atheology.com/

“There is no god”

War, WV

#95700 Mar 5, 2013
So here is a question; do you believe that there is such a thing as a soul or spirit?
Please leave out the christian god as they have it wrong. Just in general, do living beings have a soul or spirit?
(I do not know, I think that we are chemical reactions and electron flow but..........
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95701 Mar 5, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
"transfer of belief
transfer of belief
polly want a cracker
(bird sound here)"
lol naked

We are an active community of atheists in the greater Los Angeles area.

Our core mission involves:
&#9632;Promoting separation of government and religion.
&#9632;Educating the public about our philosophy and practices.
&#9632;Serving the public good in ways that are exemplary of our values.

http://atheistsunited.org/

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#95702 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>...
the problem with beliefs is when they aren't tested against reality as a whole and only as one's perceived reality.
Surely even you can see the absurdity of what you're saying here. Or are you to have us believe that you operate at a higher level than us mere mortals? You're tuned into the "real" reality...is that it?
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>
thus you assumed believed i was advocating for one belief system en lieu of another. i wasn't.
everyone doesn't utilize the same language, cultural experiences, or space/time to assimilate and disseminate understanding.
we mature by testing our beliefs against reality and hopefully we expand our consciousness in so doing.
It almost sounds like you're saying something here. But you're not.
Hokum...pure hokum

Location hidden

#95703 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>atheism as a belief system
At its simplest, pantheism can be ontologically indistinguishable from atheism. Such a pantheism would be belief in nothing beyond the physical universe, but associated with emotions of wonder and awe similar to those that we find in religious belief.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/atheism-agn...
&#9632;the atheist who believes in reincarnation or some other form of afterlife
&#9632;the atheist who worships “Reason” as if it was something existing outside us
&#9632;the atheist who sees intelligence in the universe, or believes the universe operates by inherent & fundamental scientific laws.
&#9632;the atheist who believes in the principle of sufficient reason
http://atheology.com/
So now you're copying and pasting from other threads where you failed to defend these arguments?

You should be true to your name and remain silent Harpocrates.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95704 Mar 5, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
So here is a question; do you believe that there is such a thing as a soul or spirit?
Please leave out the christian god as they have it wrong. Just in general, do living beings have a soul or spirit?
(I do not know, I think that we are chemical reactions and electron flow but..........
depending on the culture a spirit and soul have slight nuances. one is encapsulated in differentiated matter and the other is undifferentiated matter, or no definitive form.

so yes, mankind as both a materialistic form which can be construed as an energetic equivalent. that energy can be kinetic or potential.

e = m(c*c)

Location hidden

#95705 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>lol naked

&#9632;Educating the public about our philosophy and practices.

http://atheistsunited.org/
Please tell me that you're not in charge of this area
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#95706 Mar 5, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely even you can see the absurdity of what you're saying here. Or are you to have us believe that you operate at a higher level than us mere mortals? You're tuned into the "real" reality...is that it?
<quoted text>
It almost sounds like you're saying something here. But you're not.
Hokum...pure hokum
the problem for the observer is that he/she focuses solely on the form. all formulations share an intrinsic quality. it's called energy.

so all things manifest from that ONE thing. energy cannot be created. energy cannot be destroyed. energy simply changes form.

all forms are relative to energy, expressed as the theory of relativity.

e = m(c*c)

relativity means relative as in related.

http://etymonline.com/index.php...

“See how you are?”

Earth

#95707 Mar 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>what comes around, goes around.
Karma Ghia on an icy curve.

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>tends to be all one sided.
and the mobius band played on
round and round it goes.
Fundamentalist trinity blowing "Row Your Boat" on single Kline jug. One sided, or mo biased?
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>where it began, nobody knows
Most nobodies say 6,000 years ago near the Persian Gulf.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 5 min Another Vet 7,085
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min Obama Zombies 155,339
racist holder get $77million job 11 min lil ol me 5
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Big Stevie 81,660
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr Big Stevie 16,184
Highlands Diversified (Jul '12) 1 hr Distance 3
who does the best nails in london??? (Jul '08) 1 hr Distance 124

London Jobs

London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

London News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in London

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]