Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 147244 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82021 Jul 5, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Horsey Puckey Doo Doo...
is that reply something along the lines of occam's razor and the concept of elegance? shortest and simplest says it best?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82022 Jul 5, 2012
ThisIsStupid wrote:
If they're going to teach us about christianity in schools, then they're also going to have to teach us about Buddhism, Greek Mythology, Judaism, Samaritanism, Hinduism, Confucianism, Mysticism and Occult, Neopaganism, and etc.
AMERICA WAS AND STILL IS A MELTING POT OF DIVERSITY, THIS INCLUDES RELIGION, WE ARE NOT ALL CHRISTIANS, GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEADS, THAT'S JUST HOW IT IS, AND TO FORCEFULLY TEACH OUR CHILDREN ABOUT CHRISTIANITY IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
I agree in part - however, I do not think that their intent is to teach children about Christianity. I would love to have children actually taught about Christianity - how it arose, the wars between denominations, the Inquisition, its support of slavery, the iffy behavior of the Popes during WWII, its teachings to the oppressed to stay down and wait for heaven or to inherit the earth at a later date, etc. The fundies would howl with rage if children were taught the whole truth about christianity, even if a few of the nicer things about a few nice Christians were also mentioned.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82023 Jul 5, 2012
Dr Moonshine wrote:
<quoted text>
You also get weppins of mass destrucktions.
that was funny, though I have to check the context and some of your other comments to be sure what point you are making!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82024 Jul 5, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>"What is the God particle?" In the religious world it is a dingleberry on god's arse.
actually I read somewhere that originally when someone started looking for it he called it that goddamned particle, and that was deemed inappropriate.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82025 Jul 5, 2012
Dr Moonshine wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't understand pure common logic.
Different religions holding claim to the same holy land? Those religions don't really like each other? They're going to fight over the holy land? Who would have thought!
OK, I like your humor. if I have to figure out your views from your various funny comments, it is worth the bother.
MirrorMan

Palatka, FL

#82026 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I used the word devoted in an attempt to get a funny, I admit it.
And when you drive thru Beaconsfield I think you get my humor, too.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82027 Jul 5, 2012
bigballs wrote:
i can tell you this there is no god so get over it . we in are in a wolrl of pain . right from the beging of time we allways wanted to belive in something. something that will get us throu are day. its called hope for happeness. all we long for is peace. and hope . the world is a terrible place to b in. so we have to look up to someone. even if it is not real. even before this GOD . ther were many GODS so . whos gods whos . mm thats right .the will of man will always go on even if thers a glimmer of hope. this is and aways will b are way of life.
well, I take that as more of an emotional statement than as an intellectual one, and will try to reply to the emotions.

yes there is pain and suffering, and it is possible for individuals to make the world have less or more pain and suffering. so I say, first do no harm. try not to hurt others. and do not harm yourself either.(and others include animals) it is ok to defend yourself if attacked however, but that is not an excuse for excessive force. these are realistic notions.

yes, people are full of a will to live - and sometimes to live in horrid conditions. we should not - as voters - support political leaders who are eager to get us into wars against nations that have not attacked us. that would reduce suffering.

as a woman, I should get a mammogram, and urge other women above a certain age to get a mammogram, at least every year, and sometimes in six months. the machines take such good images now that a small problem can be detected before it even becomes dangerous. that makes possible surgery and radiation, and a 95% of 10 year survival. these little non-yet-dangerous cancers are called a DCIS, and are called stage zero! catching them early will save horrible pain, suffering, expense, worry. there are things men need to have early tests for too, I am sure. and we all need tests for colon cancer as we age. it is not as yukky as it sounds.

we should drive carefully, not recklessly and not drunk that would save lots of pain and suffering. so much more is under our control now. one thing is to make sure the cops arrest drunk drivers, by complaining when they don't - and calling cops to report drunk or reckless drivers.

we are not as helpless as you make it seem.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82028 Jul 5, 2012
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
To prove you're not as smart as you think you are.
that was to some other guy, I think. so it is a competitive male ego thing. of course - whether god exists or not is just another bone to fight over to test the level of testosterone.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82029 Jul 5, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>First tell me how to prove nothing.
OK - you being smarty, and that was funny and you got me. of course I mean that as "it does not prove anything" so now you can have some fun with that also. I do not mind when you are funny to avoid answering, because your funnies are funny.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82030 Jul 5, 2012
Dr Moonshine wrote:
<quoted text>
You also get weppins of mass destrucktions.
you meant in Iraq? that was a Bushism?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82031 Jul 5, 2012
wrong wrote:
i do not believe that allowing a certified history teacher instruct young minds on the good, and evil, things done in jesus's name is a bad thing^
many people in the community would demand that he or she be fired if he or she told the truth about the role of christianity in history.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82032 Jul 5, 2012
juggalo wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing is ..if the bible was taught from a historical point ..things like where the stories actually came from ..and the actual history of the writing of the bible ..the same people who are screaming to have bible class,would be the same ones protesting and trying to get it shut down
exactly, and well phrased.
Known fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#82033 Jul 5, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
Firstyou are wrong on every count... Ifyou had taken a few science classesyou would nothe Science never Proves anything as an Absolute... Gravity is aTheory, Butyou fall down whenyou trip...The Only Proof in Science is a Mathematical Proof... Science only ever verifies, tests reproducible Evidence.. It's Up tothe Individual to conclude whether based onthe Evidence if it is enough to consider Proven... ToYou,the Individual... ATheory is far more than a Guess... A Guess in Science is call a Hypothesis ... Once it has a overall construct, a basis that fits existing laws of science but has not Testable or Verifiable method to test it's a Postulate... To be called aTheory it has to make Predictions,Have Testable Evidence and be reproducible... Whatyou do is listen to those that alsohave no knowledge of science,have no personal knowledge of sciencethen make claims based on somethingyou know nothing about...
The next time you have the chance to talk to one of Jehovah's Witnesses ask them for the book "LIFE HOW DID IT GET HERE? By evolution or by creation? It is a well researched publication that considers an enormous amount of sources to compile the information. It considers what evolutionists say and compare it with what the Bible says and allows the reader to draw their own conclusion. After reading this book then come back and tell me the publishers "know nothing about"...
You will never know if you don't read the book "LIFE HOW DID IT GET HERE? By evolution or by creation?" published by Jehovah's Witnesses. www.watchtower.org
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82034 Jul 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that this has been posted 2 or 3 times so maybe I'm replying to a person who isn't interested in having a discussion? I don't know.
But anyway, this conception of god and free will is, in my view, problematic as hell. In fact all free arguments are problematic, especially when used to justify belief in god.
If god created the universe for the sole purpose of ensuring that human beings could freely choose to love him then imagine for a moment how selfish and mean such a god would have to be. We struggle here on Earth every day with disease, violence, heartbreak, terror, and the impending threat of death. God is absolutely SILENT about it. We have a book that some people is the word of god, but god never shows up to tell us one way or the other. We are absolutely blind and left to our own devices. Why? So our choices will not be biased? So god can have a companion that isn't coerced?
Yet coercion is exactly what is going on. When I got saved as a young teen it was because the church I went to scared the crap out of me with talk of hellfire. I freely chose to get saved because I didn't want to be tortured. How is that free will?
No, I reject your hypothesis about reality. If a god exists as described in your post then that god is a selfish, mean, evil being and I have no desire to pay such a being any respect at all.
The free will defense of a Biblical god is, in a word, a dumb argument.
Well, mostly I agree, except dumb is too mild a term - in a word it is an evil argument, as your explanation showed. It is coercive and mean, to put it mildly. sadistic gets closer. evil gets closer still. your comment was excellent, and combined what was a reasonable argument, with the vividness of your own experience. I am sorry that happened to you.

I was so lucky never to be put through any of that nonsense. My parents were agnostic atheists, thought they did not know the term.
I do not know what triggers the wonderful freeing of onesself that happens when folks like you start to get wise and get free of religious indoctrination and coercion, but bravo for you and all the rest.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82035 Jul 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm masochistically interested in it. I enjoy the philosophical side of the debate more than I should...
are you sure it is masochistic? or is it part of the liberation? it certainly is helpful in debunking the nonsense that the free will apologiests put out there. and it shows the evil that underlies it, very clearly. I think you are very helpful. you should ge glad that you are able to help explain it so well.
Known fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#82036 Jul 5, 2012
Why Evolution Attracts People
The Bible reveals how such teachings as evolution become popular. It says:“There will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.”(2 Timothy 4:3, 4) Although evolution is usually presented in scientific language, it is really a religious doctrine. It teaches a philosophy of life and an attitude toward God. Its beliefs are subtly attractive to mankind’s selfish, independent tendencies. Many who believe in evolution say that they also believe in God. However, they feel free to think of God as one who has not created things, does not intervene in man’s affairs, and will not judge people. It is a creed that tickles people’s ears.
Teachers of evolution are often motivated, not by the facts, but by “their own desires”—perhaps a desire to be accepted by a scientific community in which evolution is orthodox doctrine. Professor of biochemistry Michael Behe, who has spent most of his life studying the complex internal functions of living cells, explained that those who teach the evolution of cell structure have no basis for their claims. Could evolution occur at this tiny, molecular level?“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority,” he wrote.“There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred.... The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.”

“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority”
If evolutionists lack explanations, why do they preach their ideas so loudly? Behe explains:“Many people, including many important and well-respected scientists, just don’t want there to be anything beyond nature.”
The doctrine of evolution attracts many clergymen who want to appear wise. They are similar to those described in the apostle Paul’s letter to Christians in Rome. Paul wrote:“What may be known about God is manifest among them ... His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable; because, although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish.”(Romans 1:19-22) How can you avoid being deceived by false teachers?
MirrorMan

Palatka, FL

#82037 Jul 5, 2012
It's a common misconception that you cannot prove a negative. Humans are not elephants, I am human, therefore I am not an elephant. Easy. "I've never seen a superstring, therefore it does not exist" is not a valid argument. On that basis alone I cannot with conscience or desire say that there is no God.
The agnostic attraction to me is that physics is bound by laws that our best and brightest struggle to barely understand. For each breakthrough, a hundred questions are born - and merely a hundred because we cannot make the leap to ask ten thousand.
Allowing for the existence of an awareness? purpose? intelligence? will?(the incapacites of language are echoes of the impermeable limitations of man) behind all of reality, I find it ludicrous (and not a bit surprising) that religions debilitate "The Alpha and Omega" into an enfeebled man-like golem of a diety.
I can say that with humility I have FAITH that God has very, very, very little to do with Christianity, Islam or Judaism.
Stupidppl

Harlan, KY

#82038 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> what you mean is that you want a chance to live on as something like yourself after you die - or you want to be raptured up before you die normally, I assume. and for that privilege you want someone to suffer and die. not very nice of you.
I would never wish harm upon any one that's just the way you took it...I just don't want to be one of the people that get on her and say the things that all you all say cause you all will one day be judged on it then you can make all theses argurments all you want..!!
Stupidppl

Harlan, KY

#82039 Jul 5, 2012
One other thing I will say is that I do agree with Evolution....I honestly do but it started with Creation..!
MirrorMan

Palatka, FL

#82040 Jul 5, 2012
Known fact wrote:
Professor of biochemistry Michael Behe, who has spent most of his life studying the complex internal functions of living cells, explained that those who teach the evolution of cell structure have no basis for their claims. Could evolution occur at this tiny, molecular level?“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority,” he wrote.“There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred.... The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.”
“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority”
If evolutionists lack explanations, why do they preach their ideas so loudly? Behe explains:“Many people, including many important and well-respected scientists, just don’t want there to be anything beyond nature.”
The doctrine of evolution attracts many clergymen who want to appear wise. They are similar to those described in the apostle Paul’s letter to Christians in Rome. Paul wrote:“What may be known about God is manifest among them ... His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable; because, although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish.”(Romans 1:19-22) How can you avoid being deceived by false teachers?
First of all, I'd be careful putting much stock in somebody who says they personally know God.
"How can you avoid being deceived by false teachers?" - and then you cite Michael Behe!
ROFL!
I almost thought you were serious! LOL!
http://sciencenotes.wordpress.com/resources/m...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who's the prettiest woman in London? 48 min blueman 10
Poll Why did god make poop stinky? (Aug '12) 3 hr wow 15
Looking for Massage 3 hr hmm 12
to alll cheese eaters (Aug '09) 7 hr Cheesy 160
obama wants to raise federal gas tax 136% 13 hr ex dem 3
hillary crimes 15 hr ex dem 36
Drone flying over my home with camera! Need Help! (Feb '15) 17 hr Drone Kid 43
More from around the web

Personal Finance

London Mortgages