Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 149882 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82034 Jul 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that this has been posted 2 or 3 times so maybe I'm replying to a person who isn't interested in having a discussion? I don't know.
But anyway, this conception of god and free will is, in my view, problematic as hell. In fact all free arguments are problematic, especially when used to justify belief in god.
If god created the universe for the sole purpose of ensuring that human beings could freely choose to love him then imagine for a moment how selfish and mean such a god would have to be. We struggle here on Earth every day with disease, violence, heartbreak, terror, and the impending threat of death. God is absolutely SILENT about it. We have a book that some people is the word of god, but god never shows up to tell us one way or the other. We are absolutely blind and left to our own devices. Why? So our choices will not be biased? So god can have a companion that isn't coerced?
Yet coercion is exactly what is going on. When I got saved as a young teen it was because the church I went to scared the crap out of me with talk of hellfire. I freely chose to get saved because I didn't want to be tortured. How is that free will?
No, I reject your hypothesis about reality. If a god exists as described in your post then that god is a selfish, mean, evil being and I have no desire to pay such a being any respect at all.
The free will defense of a Biblical god is, in a word, a dumb argument.
Well, mostly I agree, except dumb is too mild a term - in a word it is an evil argument, as your explanation showed. It is coercive and mean, to put it mildly. sadistic gets closer. evil gets closer still. your comment was excellent, and combined what was a reasonable argument, with the vividness of your own experience. I am sorry that happened to you.

I was so lucky never to be put through any of that nonsense. My parents were agnostic atheists, thought they did not know the term.
I do not know what triggers the wonderful freeing of onesself that happens when folks like you start to get wise and get free of religious indoctrination and coercion, but bravo for you and all the rest.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#82035 Jul 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm masochistically interested in it. I enjoy the philosophical side of the debate more than I should...
are you sure it is masochistic? or is it part of the liberation? it certainly is helpful in debunking the nonsense that the free will apologiests put out there. and it shows the evil that underlies it, very clearly. I think you are very helpful. you should ge glad that you are able to help explain it so well.
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82036 Jul 5, 2012
Why Evolution Attracts People
The Bible reveals how such teachings as evolution become popular. It says:“There will be a period of time when they will not put up with the healthful teaching, but, in accord with their own desires, they will accumulate teachers for themselves to have their ears tickled; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, whereas they will be turned aside to false stories.”(2 Timothy 4:3, 4) Although evolution is usually presented in scientific language, it is really a religious doctrine. It teaches a philosophy of life and an attitude toward God. Its beliefs are subtly attractive to mankind’s selfish, independent tendencies. Many who believe in evolution say that they also believe in God. However, they feel free to think of God as one who has not created things, does not intervene in man’s affairs, and will not judge people. It is a creed that tickles people’s ears.
Teachers of evolution are often motivated, not by the facts, but by “their own desires”—perhaps a desire to be accepted by a scientific community in which evolution is orthodox doctrine. Professor of biochemistry Michael Behe, who has spent most of his life studying the complex internal functions of living cells, explained that those who teach the evolution of cell structure have no basis for their claims. Could evolution occur at this tiny, molecular level?“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority,” he wrote.“There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred.... The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.”

“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority”
If evolutionists lack explanations, why do they preach their ideas so loudly? Behe explains:“Many people, including many important and well-respected scientists, just don’t want there to be anything beyond nature.”
The doctrine of evolution attracts many clergymen who want to appear wise. They are similar to those described in the apostle Paul’s letter to Christians in Rome. Paul wrote:“What may be known about God is manifest among them ... His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable; because, although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish.”(Romans 1:19-22) How can you avoid being deceived by false teachers?
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82037 Jul 5, 2012
It's a common misconception that you cannot prove a negative. Humans are not elephants, I am human, therefore I am not an elephant. Easy. "I've never seen a superstring, therefore it does not exist" is not a valid argument. On that basis alone I cannot with conscience or desire say that there is no God.
The agnostic attraction to me is that physics is bound by laws that our best and brightest struggle to barely understand. For each breakthrough, a hundred questions are born - and merely a hundred because we cannot make the leap to ask ten thousand.
Allowing for the existence of an awareness? purpose? intelligence? will?(the incapacites of language are echoes of the impermeable limitations of man) behind all of reality, I find it ludicrous (and not a bit surprising) that religions debilitate "The Alpha and Omega" into an enfeebled man-like golem of a diety.
I can say that with humility I have FAITH that God has very, very, very little to do with Christianity, Islam or Judaism.
Stupidppl

Harlan, KY

#82038 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> what you mean is that you want a chance to live on as something like yourself after you die - or you want to be raptured up before you die normally, I assume. and for that privilege you want someone to suffer and die. not very nice of you.
I would never wish harm upon any one that's just the way you took it...I just don't want to be one of the people that get on her and say the things that all you all say cause you all will one day be judged on it then you can make all theses argurments all you want..!!
Stupidppl

Harlan, KY

#82039 Jul 5, 2012
One other thing I will say is that I do agree with Evolution....I honestly do but it started with Creation..!
MirrorMan

Muskegon, MI

#82040 Jul 5, 2012
Known fact wrote:
Professor of biochemistry Michael Behe, who has spent most of his life studying the complex internal functions of living cells, explained that those who teach the evolution of cell structure have no basis for their claims. Could evolution occur at this tiny, molecular level?“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority,” he wrote.“There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred.... The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.”
“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority”
If evolutionists lack explanations, why do they preach their ideas so loudly? Behe explains:“Many people, including many important and well-respected scientists, just don’t want there to be anything beyond nature.”
The doctrine of evolution attracts many clergymen who want to appear wise. They are similar to those described in the apostle Paul’s letter to Christians in Rome. Paul wrote:“What may be known about God is manifest among them ... His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable; because, although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish.”(Romans 1:19-22) How can you avoid being deceived by false teachers?
First of all, I'd be careful putting much stock in somebody who says they personally know God.
"How can you avoid being deceived by false teachers?" - and then you cite Michael Behe!
ROFL!
I almost thought you were serious! LOL!
http://sciencenotes.wordpress.com/resources/m...

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#82041 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> that was to some other guy, I think. so it is a competitive male ego thing. of course - whether god exists or not is just another bone to fight over to test the level of testosterone.
So only women have real conversations and debates, men just try to prove who has the most beef, its good getting to know how you think.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#82042 Jul 5, 2012
Known fact wrote:
The place for religion is not in the classroom neither should a place for teaching the religion of EVOLUTION be in the classroom.
Why can I label evolution as a religion is because it takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to believe in a creator! Religion should be taught at home or your place of worship not the public school classroom
Evolution is a fact of nature. Most people recognize this by the evidence.

Location hidden

#82043 Jul 5, 2012
Known fact wrote:
<quoted text>First EVOLUTION is NOT a proven fact! It is supposed to have happened gradually over millions of years. Since no one was there to see it happen it is exactly what you correctly said,“a theory” which means a wild guess. In other words your guess is as good as mine and if not based on proven facts that is all it can be, a wild guess.
I cannot express strongly enough how ignorant your post is. It is shamefully, woefully uninformed. Are you being serious or is this a joke??

Location hidden

#82044 Jul 5, 2012
Known fact wrote:
<quoted text>The next time you have the chance to talk to one of Jehovah's Witnesses ask them for the book "LIFE HOW DID IT GET HERE? By evolution or by creation? It is a well researched publication that considers an enormous amount of sources to compile the information. It considers what evolutionists say and compare it with what the Bible says and allows the reader to draw their own conclusion.
Ah, now I understand why your posts seem so ridiculous.

“There is no god.”

USA

#82045 Jul 5, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> OK - you being smarty, and that was funny and you got me. of course I mean that as "it does not prove anything" so now you can have some fun with that also. I do not mind when you are funny to avoid answering, because your funnies are funny.
I do not avoid questions, sometimes questions deserve no answer, like "prove nothing is not real", really, not gonna happen, unless nothing can be used to verify nothing's non-existance.

“There is no god.”

USA

#82046 Jul 5, 2012
*non-existence*
Believer

Jamestown, KY

#82047 Jul 5, 2012
MirrorMan wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, I'd be careful putting much stock in somebody who says they personally know God.
"How can you avoid being deceived by false teachers?" - and then you cite Michael Behe!
ROFL!
I almost thought you were serious! LOL!
http://sciencenotes.wordpress.com/resources/m...
Was Stephen Hawkins a false teacher?

“What happened to self reliance”

Since: Jul 11

Los Altos Hills, CA

#82048 Jul 5, 2012
Where does the bible explain Dinosaurs? I'm just curious.
goofy

Grayson, KY

#82049 Jul 5, 2012
&fe ature=related the bible is full of mistakes and lies
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82050 Jul 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a fact of nature. Most people recognize this by the evidence.
Where can I access this evidence? Evolution was supposed to have evolved over millions of years. Since no one was around to witness it where can the evidence be found?
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82051 Jul 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot express strongly enough how ignorant your post is. It is shamefully, woefully uninformed. Are you being serious or is this a joke??
Have you personally read the book? If not how can you make such a blatant statement?
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82052 Jul 5, 2012
goofy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZFrkjEgUDZAXX&feature=rel ated the bible is full of mistakes and lies
Please give an example.
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82053 Jul 5, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, now I understand why your posts seem so ridiculous.
Please explain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DNC refuse to fly American flag 1 hr wormwood 29
8 an uncut 1 hr Oldschool 14
Yard cutting 2 hr Margret 1
Hillary's resume 2 hr Shannon 21
hillary single legislative success 5 hr it true 1
liar hillary should be in prison 5 hr it true 5
Vote for Hillary! 5 hr proud American 5

London Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance