just in case

Dayton, OH

#1 Jan 11, 2013
I hope this is not in the area, in case, here goes. A man died after suffering devastating brain damage after drinking 'pint after pint' of water.

His family believe the problems started when an Ecstasy pill was slipped into his drink during an evening out.

Matthew Ellis, 29 died more than seven months later from a chest infection in hospital in Sheffield.

He was rushed to intensive care after collapsing at his father's home on Boxing Day last year.

Matthew's mother Maureen warned others about the little known but catastrophic dangers of drinking too much water.

The drug made him crave water and the excess liquid he drank caused his salt levels to plummet bringing on a rare brain condition called extrapontine myelinolysis.

Mrs Ellis, 62, said:'There is no health warning, water is good for you if you have a certain amount,'.

'But we want to make people more aware not to drink that much. Matthew went through absolute hell and it's such a waste of a young life.'

Mrs Ellis, a council technical support officer, said Matthew had been working in Wales before Christmas and had taken time off over the holiday period and was staying in Sheffield with his family.

He had been due to start a job at Doncaster Prison in January.

He stayed out late drinking on Boxing Day before going back to spend the night at the home of his 66-year-old father Ken in Lowedges, Sheffield.

'The following day he felt poorly and stared drinking lots of water,' said Mrs Ellis.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min Cczar 178,081
have you been raped or molested and never told ... (Dec '10) 3 hr Gig 246
May 25 2018 Bold N Beautiful Queston 14 hr Maybe 3
U will suckup 2keep ur Job 14 hr Wondering 20
Just wondering 16 hr Back at cha 2
One Word Thread (Jul '10) 16 hr Razelies 2,634
Democrats Are Communists Believe Me 17 hr Advocate 1

London Jobs

Personal Finance

London Mortgages