Why Do Blacks Say "Axe" instead of "A...

Why Do Blacks Say "Axe" instead of "Ask"?

Posted in the London Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Help Me Understand

United States

#1 Jun 27, 2011
This is not to be a diss of black people, just something I have wondered for so long.

It is not just uneducated blacks who say this, but very prominent, very educated people as well. Tubby Smith says it, as do many other black professionals.

You know that they understand that the word is "ask," not "axe."

Whites do not misuse the word in this manner. I would love to know where this comes from. Again, no slight at all on blacks, just curious.

I am just "asking" the question.
fay

Stratford, CT

#2 Jun 27, 2011
sumodem, (some of them) dey (they) say dis (this) too.
getthestorystrai ght

London, KY

#3 Jun 27, 2011
Why do some whites say "fer' instead of "for"?
By the way I am white. Have you ever heard of
local slang?
sho nuf and heap

Manchester, KY

#4 Jun 27, 2011
You have to axe them,I guess its one more great mystery of life.
SMOKIE

Somerset, KY

#5 Jun 27, 2011
Help Me Understand wrote:
This is not to be a diss of black people, just something I have wondered for so long.
It is not just uneducated blacks who say this, but very prominent, very educated people as well. Tubby Smith says it, as do many other black professionals.
Whites do not misuse the word in this manner. I would love to know where this comes from. Again, no slight at all on blacks, just curious.
They have heard it all their lives...just like hillbillies say, "fit" instead of "fought" and "ruck" the yard instead of "raked" and heered instead of heard.
the one

Pella, IA

#6 Jun 27, 2011
That's okay, just about all of them view us as white debbils (devils).

“Better than ever”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#7 Jun 27, 2011
I have heard quite a few white southerners say axe instead of ask. You must not pay as much attention to the white folks that can't talk right.
i kno

Orlando, FL

#10 Jun 27, 2011
THE Pot Partaker wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard quite a few white southerners say axe instead of ask. You must not pay as much attention to the white folks that can't talk right.
some of the whites, mainly the family that goes by the name of hicks in clay county, pronounces their words that way. the clay co hicks familys are related to the hicks family on hawk creek road here in london.
its called slurred speech.
one day that one man named hicks come back from hunting with his beagle and said his beagle hit a rabbit's crack. he meant track.
his bigger dog had sneaked along behind, and clyde said that coon dog hit a coon's crack same time the beagle hit the rabbit's crack.
he said the coon was up a cree (tree.
i kno

Orlando, FL

#11 Jun 27, 2011
if you heard them talk you would laugh your head off.

Since: Mar 09

London, KY

#12 Jun 27, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_his...

"For example, the Old English verb áscian also appeared as acsian, and both forms continued into Middle English. The two forms co-existed and evolved separately in various regions of England, and later America. The variant ascian gives us the modern standard English ask, but the form "axe", probably derived from Old English acsian, appears in Chaucer: "I axe, why the fyfte man Was nought housband to the Samaritan?" (Wife of Bath's Prologue, 1386.) It was considered acceptable in literary English until about 1600[14] and can still be found in some dialects of English including African American Vernacular English. It is, however, one of the most stigmatized features of AAVE, often commented on by teachers. It also persists in Ulster Scots as /&#712;aks/ and Jamaican English as /&#712;a&#720;ks/, from where it has entered the London dialect of British English as /&#712;&#593;&#720 ;ks/."

Hope that helps.

“Gentlemen Prefer Blondes =)”

Since: Jun 11

Gunchester, KY

#14 Jun 27, 2011
i kno wrote:
<quoted text>some of the whites, mainly the family that goes by the name of hicks in clay county, pronounces their words that way. the clay co hicks familys are related to the hicks family on hawk creek road here in london.
one day that one man named hicks come back from hunting with his beagle and said his beagle hit a rabbit's crack. he meant track.
his bigger dog had sneaked along behind, and clyde said that coon dog hit a coon's crack same time the beagle hit the rabbit's crack.
Interesting. My grandmother was a Hicks before marriage and I never heard anyone in my family use "axe" instead of ask. And to single out one country family for using slang in Clay county is rediculous. Everyone that is from Clay uses slang or has an accent. Not just the Hicks family. When I first moved to SE KY almost 10yrs ago, I had a hard time understanding the majority of the public that I came into contact with. Especially the older generation.

“myname is myname”

Location hidden

#15 Jun 27, 2011
Beans..beans..good fer yer heart..the more ya eat the more ya fart..the more ya fart the better ya feel..so eat beans at every meal.

“Better than ever”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#16 Jun 27, 2011
Beans beans, the musical fruit. The more ya eat, the more ya toot!
umm

Crossett, AR

#18 Jun 27, 2011
Probaly the same reason a lot of people around here say mury for Mary and jury for Jerry and back a few years if your name was Dora they called you Dory Terry's were called Tury . But i think since people around here have got things like internet and getting out to cities from time to time there doin a lot better.
ohh

Crossett, AR

#19 Jun 27, 2011
i kno wrote:
<quoted text>some of the whites, mainly the family that goes by the name of hicks in clay county, pronounces their words that way. the clay co hicks familys are related to the hicks family on hawk creek road here in london.
It was the inlaws
that married or was married to blacks , are you referring
to there kids i dont think clyde was. there just old country
people uneducated .
meme

Waneta, KY

#20 Jun 28, 2011
ok, i will tell you,,,,, they have a much thicker tounge than white people,,, they cant sound the k letter,
hey

Cynthiana, KY

#22 Jun 29, 2011
Ho,go work in the garden.

“myname is myname”

Location hidden

#25 Jun 29, 2011
THE Pot Partaker wrote:
<quoted text>
Racist
Thats probably a compliment to someone who would make a pathetic comment like that.
CokeZero

Cynthiana, KY

#28 Jun 29, 2011
It's funny you all are actually debating this. We all know the answer already and know the poster was just trying to be funny.

By the way, I thought "Jury" was "Jewelry"

;]

“myname is myname”

Location hidden

#30 Jun 29, 2011
CokeZero wrote:
It's funny you all are actually debating this. We all know the answer already and know the poster was just trying to be funny.
By the way, I thought "Jury" was "Jewelry"
;]
I aint laughing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Libs call dem Wilson a nazi 13 min Libs are dumb 1
in home care office near fazolis 47 min lily 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr usa 158,130
Ashley Judd. 1 hr lib woman are pigs 7
Hillary 2020 5 hr Drake 7
add a word--drop a word (Apr '10) 5 hr 2twisted 1,314
Single woman over 40 (Aug '15) 5 hr Mama 229

London Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance