Laurel Detention Center comissary ripoff

Posted in the London Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Jim Fred

London, KY

#1 Aug 4, 2012
anyone who has deposited money into someones comissary account need to keep reciepts, I am starting the process of getting a class action suit against them for their policy of stealing half of the funds you put in there for inmates. If 100 or more people file complaints with federaltradecommission.gov they will take it up for us, if not then it will require hiring a lawyer to start it. More info to come.
mee too

Bonnyman, KY

#2 Aug 5, 2012
I'm with you.
idea

United States

#3 Aug 5, 2012
Here's an idea: don't do anything to go to jail, then you wouldn't have to worry about such issues. Most of the time their jail fees never get paid, thats why they take the money up front that you people owe when you get arrested. Just a thought.
Jim Fred

London, KY

#4 Aug 5, 2012
idea wrote:
Here's an idea: don't do anything to go to jail, then you wouldn't have to worry about such issues. Most of the time their jail fees never get paid, thats why they take the money up front that you people owe when you get arrested. Just a thought.
evidently nobody was talking to you, if we wanted your opinion we would give it to you, it's obvious you don't have any good ones of your own
true

Somerset, KY

#6 Aug 5, 2012
idea wrote:
a lot of innocent people get arrested anyone can make up any lie and get a warrant for you .
shut up

United States

#7 Aug 5, 2012
I have to agree. Don't put yourself in a position to get arrested and you won't have the problem. I think it is stupid for them to be able to buy stuff and make phone calls. Hell, they should only get one visit a month.
Silly Rabbit

Grayslake, IL

#8 Aug 5, 2012
I thought jail was for punishment, not priveleges. Everyone will be breaking the law, if that's all they want to do is shop all day.
idea

United States

#9 Aug 5, 2012
Jim Fred wrote:
<quoted text>evidently nobody was talking to you, if we wanted your opinion we would give it to you, it's obvious you don't have any good ones of your own
I guess you should've taken your topic elsewhere if you didn't want people to share their opinions. It's topix for the love of God. And trust me I have more respectful opinions and I will continue to share them as I feel so moved, seeing as though that's my right. Thanks though. By the way-if you werent talking to me who were you tryin to talk to..since I was like the second person to respond to your post?
YA KNOW

Bonnyman, KY

#10 Aug 5, 2012
They could want to buy some underwear, socks or something like that. I've been told they take what you're wearing if it's not white, and don't give you any more. They could even want some toothpaste or soap. I've even heard it's awfully hard to get a towel sometimes. Don't know, haven't been there myself, just what I've heard.
sand

London, KY

#11 Aug 5, 2012
YA KNOW wrote:
They could want to buy some underwear, socks or something like that. I've been told they take what you're wearing if it's not white, and don't give you any more. They could even want some toothpaste or soap. I've even heard it's awfully hard to get a towel sometimes. Don't know, haven't been there myself, just what I've heard.
yeah and they have to buy food to keep from starvin to death is what i hear and that you are not allowed to take inmates any underwear or nothing else ,they have to buy it from the commisary
question

London, KY

#12 Aug 5, 2012
What about being in there for 3 hours and being charged their "room and board" for 2 days just because you were released at 12:02. I had to pay $40 for 2 days "room and board" and I was only in there for 3 hours. I never had anything to eat or drink, and yes they do take all of your clothes if its not white.
Jim Fred

Sheridan, AR

#13 Aug 5, 2012
idea wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you should've taken your topic elsewhere if you didn't want people to share their opinions. It's topix for the love of God. And trust me I have more respectful opinions and I will continue to share them as I feel so moved, seeing as though that's my right. Thanks though. By the way-if you werent talking to me who were you tryin to talk to..since I was like the second person to respond to your post?
I was talking to those whom it concerns, the ones who have been stolen from, and those who may want to participate in a class action law suit to get their money back. Yes you were the second to respond and the first to stick your nose into something that didn't concern you, just another busy body who is always sticking their nose in everybody elses business.
Who Cares

Ormond Beach, FL

#14 Aug 5, 2012
Its a jail not a MALL! Dumb AS@!
Jim Fred

London, KY

#15 Aug 6, 2012
Who Cares wrote:
Its a jail not a MALL! Dumb AS@!

even in jail they need personal hygene items and under garments. that is beside the point, they are stealing money, anybody else would get put in jail for stealing.
Jim Fred

London, KY

#16 Aug 6, 2012
shut up wrote:
I have to agree. Don't put yourself in a position to get arrested and you won't have the problem. I think it is stupid for them to be able to buy stuff and make phone calls. Hell, they should only get one visit a month.
they still need personal hygene items. there are some people in there for circumstances beyond their control. they say innocent until proven guilty but what they really mean is guilty unless you have money to buy your way out. The point is that they are stealing money from people, which is against the law unless you are above the law.
wonder

London, KY

#17 Aug 6, 2012
Jim Fred wrote:
<quoted text>
even in jail they need personal hygene items and under garments. that is beside the point, they are stealing money, anybody else would get put in jail for stealing.
yeah and even after a state prisoner goes to prison they keep there money too and when you call and ask for them to send it to the prison they put you off and then after calling a few times saying the prisoner never got it the jail tells you that they kept it because the inmate owed them money from before
I Wonder if they turn all this money in that they get from the prisoners if it is all accounted for ??The families of these inmates are the ones who it hurts trying to get them enough money to buy things they have to have ,you have to take 51.00 dollars to the jail for the inmate to get 25.00 of it .I think if people knew about your petition a lot of people would sign it .
Jim Fred

Somerset, KY

#18 Aug 8, 2012
wonder wrote:
<quoted text>yeah and even after a state prisoner goes to prison they keep there money too and when you call and ask for them to send it to the prison they put you off and then after calling a few times saying the prisoner never got it the jail tells you that they kept it because the inmate owed them money from before
I Wonder if they turn all this money in that they get from the prisoners if it is all accounted for ??The families of these inmates are the ones who it hurts trying to get them enough money to buy things they have to have ,you have to take 51.00 dollars to the jail for the inmate to get 25.00 of it .I think if people knew about your petition a lot of people would sign it .
all people have to do is go to federal trade commission.gov or FTC.gov and follow the links and file a complaint, if there are 100 or more complaints the FTC will file a class action suit and nobody has to pay a lawyer
I Will Sign

London, KY

#19 Aug 31, 2012
I've heard from several different people that the so-called living conditions that the jail purportedly feels necessary to charge a person $10 for is barely even humane, let alone worth $10. Many people living on the floor of the cells, eating meals that couldn't cost more than $1.00 to prepare a days-worth per person. Sure, most of them are probably criminals, but most of them are probably not animals.

For $10.00 a day I expect some basic hygiene products to be provided. You might lose your freedom when you go to jail, but you should NOT lose human rights at the expense of a correctional facility that doesn't provide even the most basic items. I very seriously doubt it costs $300.00 a month to house 30 people in a room built to house 15. That's just basic math. Then again, this is Laurel Co, so I guess we should meter our expectations.:\
I think

Bonnyman, KY

#20 Sep 1, 2012
I'll sign it
Maggot

Middlesboro, KY

#21 Sep 1, 2012
Don't go to jail, that's just good advice. If you go to jail, they will provide basic hygiene. If you have an account, then you have to pay, just like you were supposed to do before. It is Jail. Sorry MF'ers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Rebecca 142,363
News Drug Investigation and Arrest in Laurel County 1 hr Long Far Reaching... 4
who do girl like more country boys or city boys? (Oct '08) 4 hr llll 1,011
add a word--drop a word (Apr '10) 4 hr want to know 1,229
hillary 2 months email gap 5 hr FYI 3
Corner ridge hunting 6 hr Curious 2
Land clearing, roads, logging we can do it 7 hr Timber 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

London Mortgages