AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Judged:

Who's the cheapest bankruptcy Lawyer in town? Is it very expensive to file? How long does it take?
Obidiah

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

Help wrote:
Who's the cheapest bankruptcy Lawyer in town? Is it very expensive to file? How long does it take?
If at all possible do it yourself.Research first, An attorney's first duty is to the courts and the public not to the client,clients are “wards" of the court...No normal person wants to deal with that bunch...
What

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Obidiah wrote:
<quoted text>If at all possible do it yourself.Research first, An attorney's first duty is to the courts and the public not to the client,clients are “wards" of the court...No normal person wants to deal with that bunch...
You better not go into the bankruptcy court without a lawyer, even secretaries that work for attorneys wouldn't enter a bankruptcy court without an attorney!!! its not a safe thing to do for yourself. you may do a simple divorce without a lawyer, but you sure don't wanna do a bankruptcy by yourself, the paperwork alone is worth the lawyer's fee!
Ignore

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Ignore the one who says to do it yourself unless you are a very well educated person. The new bankruptcy laws are very complicated. The forms that have to be filed are lengthy and complicated and you have to file everything online which requires an attorney to access.
try

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2010

Ross Murray across from IGA on 4th street.
Very good,fast,and the lowest price.Around $1500 if not very complicated.

and NO do not go it alone unless you know what you are doing.
Yep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Ross Murray is good.
I know

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2010

Katie Gilliam on E. 4th street (across from the homeless shelter) is very good and only charges $1500.00 including the filing fee. Her staff is very helpful and nice too. Filing bankrupcty is embarassing and stressful and Katie and her staff make you feel at ease.
i agree

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2010

I know wrote:
Katie Gilliam on E. 4th street (across from the homeless shelter) is very good and only charges $1500.00 including the filing fee. Her staff is very helpful and nice too. Filing bankrupcty is embarassing and stressful and Katie and her staff make you feel at ease.
I agree that filing bankruptcy is embarassing, and you do need a lawyer that makes you feel at ease. We filed bankruptcy less than a year ago and we used david howard. I believe his office is located just across the street from this Gilliam attorney and beside the homeless shelter. We were going to use Ms. Gilliam, but the other attorney was a few dollars cheaper so we went with him. It was a bad regret!! That attorney and his secretary was the worse we had ever dealt with. He was rude and hateful, and made me very upset. His secretary, bless her heart, I know it must be horrible to work there, but she didn't seem to know anything about what she was doing and laughed all the time. So I agree using someone that makes you feel less embarassed and at ease is a great thing when filing bankruptcy.
Curious

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2010

AAron Hostettler is very good and he only charged 1200.00 that was a few years ago though. it may have went it now. but you should look him up in the phonebook.
SpeakUp

Elmwood Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2010

Judged:

Help wrote:
Based upon my knowledge from being a part of gathering things for this issue, firstly, I can't recommend attorneys because I don't of course know most of them down there.

As a general rule, they charge from $1200- upward, depending upon what is included in it..such as credit card debt, personal residence, investment properties, etc. Each state has what they call a "median" income based upon the size of your family. If you are below that, you generally have less problem. If you are more than that, it sometimes may deem more difficult. They look at the debt you are looking to cancel out. If you are married, is it just one of you that needs to file it, or, both. If you have a home and only in the name of the one filing, you may attempt to keep the home regardless if there is little or not alot of equity in it they can consider an asset to be sold to pay debt. They allow X equity per person. They will want to know every asset and liability in the name of the filer, and even if someone owes you money. They will look more predominantly at your bank account the previous (6) months prior to the filing of, looking for any in and out large transactions and more particularly, any income deposited over and above payroll checks or general common deposits. They will then take all this information and put you to the Means Test. If you meet it, it's generally quite quick. If you don't, then your attorney has some work to do on your behalf with you. The attorney the files the claim and the court issues a Case #. You will also have to show that you have filed your most current tax return (they'll also see if you have a refund or balance due paid). You may have to go online and take a couple of mandated credit and management courses in advance of the date the court has scheduled for your review. Once you go to court, you and your attorney will meet with a Trustee, who decides your fate. If they rule in your favor, it's cleared within I believe a couple of months.

Do know that credit cards may opt to pursue you after the Trustee's findings anyway if they feel you have income to make payments. If that happens, you then must pay your attorney more to fight for you. In most cases, it's unlikely they will due to the fact, if they do lose, they then have to pay all attorney fees and court costs.

Chapter 7 does not relieve you of any tax debt you may have.

I hope this helps. I am speaking from Illinois standards, however, Trustees are representatives of the U.S.
SpeakUp

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2010

I've slept with a lot of lawyers.
GEE OH

Nicholasville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2010

Find out which lawyer theirselves in town has declared bankruptcy the . It happens all the time. That will be your best bet.
just me

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2010

james tomaw in corbin beside of bettys flowers is the best he charges 1495 but after you pay the first 700 he will file for you and you can make payments on the rest if coming up with that much money is hard he was great for me couldnt have ask for anything better they will go above and beyond for you i filed in dec cause i was losing my house in 3 days he saved me and my house cause we still have it it only took 3 months and was the easiest thing i ever did please chose him if you want a really good person cause thats what they are down there

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

London Jobs

•••
•••
•••

London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance