Laurel County Fiscal Court Cutting th...

Laurel County Fiscal Court Cutting the Sheriff's Budget

Posted in the London Forum

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
BLA BLA BLA

Mayfield, KY

#1 Nov 30, 2007
I wanted to start a new discussion about this topic. In my opinion the fiscal court members are a bunch of idiots! This discussion is not about your opinion of Fred Yaden's job performance. The fact is is doesn't matter if you like the sheriff or the sheriff's department or not, it is vital to the well being of this county. I'm telling you folks that the state police CANNOT handle the volume of calls for service that comes into the 911 center. They only have about 30 troopers give or take a few to cover 7 counties. There are only about 5 assigned to Laurel County. I urge you to contact the County Judge Executive and your magistrates and remind them that you supported them and you expect them to make decisions that will keep you and your family safe.
first responder

London, KY

#2 Nov 30, 2007
As if what the fiscal court has done to the 911 and the fire departments in Laurel County wasnt enough now ists the sheriff depts turn to get cut. When are Laurel Countians goin gto wake up and realize we need 911, we need fire depts., and we need sheriff deputies. We do not need a new justice center right now. What about the renovations to the current courthouse. Why spend all that money when you are going to build a new justice center. Another question is where has Laurel County Fiscal court put $500,00.00 worth of pavement at. They have already paid for it. Why hasnt it been put down? Oh my bad the justice center needs a new parking lot. Wake up Laurel County and decide which things you want. I only hope we make it to the next election without shutting VITAL resources down.
Thinking

Somerset, KY

#3 Dec 3, 2007
BLA BLA BLA wrote:
I wanted to start a new discussion about this topic. In my opinion the fiscal court members are a bunch of idiots! This discussion is not about your opinion of Fred Yaden's job performance. The fact is is doesn't matter if you like the sheriff or the sheriff's department or not, it is vital to the well being of this county. I'm telling you folks that the state police CANNOT handle the volume of calls for service that comes into the 911 center. They only have about 30 troopers give or take a few to cover 7 counties. There are only about 5 assigned to Laurel County. I urge you to contact the County Judge Executive and your magistrates and remind them that you supported them and you expect them to make decisions that will keep you and your family safe.
The sheriffs office is not the only department that has been cut.
Thinking

Somerset, KY

#4 Dec 3, 2007
first responder wrote:
As if what the fiscal court has done to the 911 and the fire departments in Laurel County wasnt enough now ists the sheriff depts turn to get cut. When are Laurel Countians goin gto wake up and realize we need 911, we need fire depts., and we need sheriff deputies. We do not need a new justice center right now. What about the renovations to the current courthouse. Why spend all that money when you are going to build a new justice center. Another question is where has Laurel County Fiscal court put $500,00.00 worth of pavement at. They have already paid for it. Why hasnt it been put down? Oh my bad the justice center needs a new parking lot. Wake up Laurel County and decide which things you want. I only hope we make it to the next election without shutting VITAL resources down.
Again The sheriffs dept. is not the only one that has been cut. You need to recheck your comment about 911. The magistrates voted to increase that fee. They are now funded.
BLA BLA BLA

Mayfield, KY

#5 Dec 3, 2007
I know the sheriff's department is not the only one that has been cut, but I think it's probably the most important one. I mean I think we can probably survive without a little blacktop for a year or two but not without police officers to protect our families. Do you realize the fiscal court gave the jail over $500,000 more than last year? Why did the jail need a half of a million dollars more than it received last hear?
old voter

Lexington, KY

#6 Dec 3, 2007
I would think most of the blacktop is State money and can only be use for blacktop.Ky get put up 50%and the fed but up 50% on state roads.
Why not cut the office help don't need 7 or 9 woman setting in there.Every time i been in there they don't seem to be doing a lot except talking.Only need to hire 1 exter person at tax time.Get rid of about 4-6 of them.
Thinking

Somerset, KY

#7 Dec 3, 2007
BLA BLA BLA wrote:
I know the sheriff's department is not the only one that has been cut, but I think it's probably the most important one. I mean I think we can probably survive without a little blacktop for a year or two but not without police officers to protect our families. Do you realize the fiscal court gave the jail over $500,000 more than last year? Why did the jail need a half of a million dollars more than it received last hear?
I agree the jail should be monitored on what they are spending. And if any cuts can be made. The jail should also give a detailed account of what they are doing with the money. The sheriffs office hired people they did not have the money to pay their high salaries.
BLA BLA BLA

Mayfield, KY

#8 Dec 3, 2007
Who did the sheriff's department hire that they couldn't afford and what high salaries are you talking about. A full time deputy makes about $33,000, I don't think that's very high for someone that risks his life to protect our families.
old voter

Lexington, KY

#9 Dec 3, 2007
BLA BLA BLA wrote:
Just talked to someone that Knows. The State gives the countys all the money for the county blacktop.The countys can add to it but most counties do not. So the state money can only be use for that only Not other things.I don't know if Laurel co add to it but if they did some money can be saved.
Still like ideal of of letting some of the office help go.
Does anyone know how much of the county taxes are Not collected each year.If people don't pay this tax the county should sell the land.That would raise money
Thinking

Somerset, KY

#10 Dec 3, 2007
old voter wrote:
<quoted text>
Just talked to someone that Knows. The State gives the countys all the money for the county blacktop.The countys can add to it but most counties do not. So the state money can only be use for that only Not other things.I don't know if Laurel co add to it but if they did some money can be saved.
Still like ideal of of letting some of the office help go.
Does anyone know how much of the county taxes are Not collected each year.If people don't pay this tax the county should sell the land.That would raise money
OLD VOTER. I am kind of THINKING I like the way you THINK.
Thinking

Somerset, KY

#11 Dec 3, 2007
BLA BLA BLA wrote:
Who did the sheriff's department hire that they couldn't afford and what high salaries are you talking about. A full time deputy makes about $33,000, I don't think that's very high for someone that risks his life to protect our families.
I am not against police officers. I think we need them. Their are deputies making far more than $33,000.00 a year. If you are a deputy and you are not making at least $33,000.00 a year. You should ask Fred if you can transfer to court baliff with Floyd and some of the others. They do make the money. Maybe you should have put out a few Fred Yaden yard signs. You could have been in the money too.
BLA BLA BLA

Mayfield, KY

#12 Dec 3, 2007
I'm not a deputy, just going on what I've been told. The salaries are public record so if you'll check I'll bet you'll find that all of the full time deputies make between 33 and 35 thousand.
answer

Lexington, KY

#13 Dec 3, 2007
To bla bla bla
Why don't you come up with ways to save money?
The blacktop ideal failed.
Are you against laying off some of the office help that been suggested?
I quess you could push for package stores to sell beer and etc . That would bring in more tax money.

Why not increase the business lic tax on lawyers and doctors.Just a 100 increase (8 a month) more would bring in a fair amount. Any doctor or lawyer that doesn't pay it there office should be closed.I bet the county loses a lot of money now by them not paying it now.How many other group don't pay the business lic fees?
motivator

Chagrin Falls, OH

#14 Dec 3, 2007
nothing is going to change in laurel county, everything is about who you know..............
BLA BLA BLA

Mayfield, KY

#15 Dec 3, 2007
I'm not for anyone loosing their job, I know how it feels, it sucks! I would totally support package alcohol sales. I would also support an increase in the business license taxes for doctors and lawyers. I would support a restaruant tax, cause it doesn't look like we're gonna get any good new restaruants anyway. I would support a decrease in the magistrate's salaries. I was told they are making close to 30 thousand a year. For what? Meeting 1 day a month and causing a few roads to be blacktopped?
Taxpayer Too

Cynthiana, KY

#16 Dec 3, 2007
BLA BLA BLA wrote:
I'm not for anyone loosing their job, I know how it feels, it sucks! I would totally support package alcohol sales. I would also support an increase in the business license taxes for doctors and lawyers. I would support a restaruant tax, cause it doesn't look like we're gonna get any good new restaruants anyway. I would support a decrease in the magistrate's salaries. I was told they are making close to 30 thousand a year. For what? Meeting 1 day a month and causing a few roads to be blacktopped?
I would support the County judge executive cutting some of the unnecessary spending and get back to basics. I don't think putting extra taxes on professionals is the answer, because it isn't fair to them to have to fund the spending spree. Those fees go to the city anyway. Cut some of the jobs if they aren't necessary. Taxpayers shouldn't have to provide jobs for the elected officials families. Let county employees pay a portion of their insurance like everyone else does.

Since: Oct 07

United States

#17 Dec 4, 2007
Lawrence Kuhl tried to head off some of these problems 2 years ago, but the magistrates wouldn't listen. We need to kick the magistrates out of office and get some new ones in there. I personally say lets start with the obstructionist-in-chief Tom Baker.
mex

Hopkinsville, KY

#18 Dec 4, 2007
London-Laurel Citizen wrote:
Lawrence Kuhl tried to head off some of these problems 2 years ago, but the magistrates wouldn't listen. We need to kick the magistrates out of office and get some new ones in there. I personally say lets start with the obstructionist-in-chief Tom Baker.
I personally say lets send you and Kuhl off to lala land. Baker is the only one that will stand up to this fiasco, and you hate it because you can't get to the purse strings anymore, at least for three more long, long years. Even after that, because Kuhl is out forever. The republicans will be back in across the board. Too bad loser.
ggg

Corbin, KY

#19 Dec 4, 2007
mex wrote:
<quoted text>I personally say lets send you and Kuhl off to lala land. Baker is the only one that will stand up to this fiasco, and you hate it because you can't get to the purse strings anymore, at least for three more long, long years. Even after that, because Kuhl is out forever. The republicans will be back in across the board. Too bad loser.
If you really believe that Tom Baker is "standing up", I suggest you attend a fiscal court meeting. Don't just take his word for it. T baker is not the smartest person that you'll ever run across.
SADIE GLUTZ

Hopkinsville, KY

#20 Dec 4, 2007
ggg wrote:
<quoted text>
If you really believe that Tom Baker is "standing up", I suggest you attend a fiscal court meeting. Don't just take his word for it. T baker is not the smartest person that you'll ever run across.
Evidently you have never attended a court meeting. Tom Baker makes Kuhl seem like melted butter. Tom Baker is the smartest in attendance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
innocent people placed on watch list 50 min proud American 4
Walk to Emmaus DECEPTION or NOt? (Nov '12) 1 hr John 571
NRA sucks (Dec '12) 2 hr wowed 147
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 hr ChromiuMan 148,847
Apartments that allow pets? 9 hr Interested 1
Why didn't Pelosi,Reid and Obama pass a weapon... 9 hr Skie 13
hillary extravagant lifestyle 10 hr TRUTH 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

London Mortgages