Real benefits of snap (food stamps)

Posted in the London Forum

Doc Holiday

Somerset, KY

#1 Sep 14, 2012
Those of us who are against food stamps(snap) need to read the following.
SNAP benefits are distributed to participants in the program; but the real benefits are the contributions SNAP makes to society as a whole. SNAP has been called “the cornerstone of the nation’s nutrition safety net”(LANDERS), and is one of the most important programs in place to prevent hunger and food insecurity in the United States. The program has also been shown to be an economic boon for the nation, increasing consumer spending in supermarkets and grocery stores across the nation. Here are just some of the positive things that SNAP does.

Hunger and Poverty Prevention
SNAP helps the poorest of Americans: almost 90% of SNAP households live below the poverty line, and about 40% of SNAP households have incomes less than half of the poverty line (approximately $9,155 for a family of three)
Families with the greatest need in SNAP receive the largest benefits
SNAP took 2.4 million children out of severe poverty in 2005 (brought their incomes to above 75% of the poverty line)
SNAP reduces the likelihood of being food insecure (i.e., cannot rely on consistent access to sufficient amounts of food) by 30% and being very food insecure by 20%
SNAP currently helps over 40 million Americans avoid hunger: 49% of SNAP recipients are children and 52% are households that include children (meaning that a total of 76% of all SNAP benefits go to households with children)

Economic Benefit

SNAP participation correlates with economic cycles.
According to the USDA’s Economic Research Service, each $1 billion of retail generated by SNAP creates $340 million in farm production,$110 million in farm value-added, and 3,300 farm jobs
Every $1 billion of SNAP benefits also creates 8,900-17,900 full-time jobs
An additional $5 of SNAP benefits generates $9 in total economic activity
83% of SNAP benefits, equal to $53.4 billion, were spent at 36,500 supermarkets around the U.S.; the remaining 17% was spent at 180,000 small retail stores (including grocery stores, farmers’ markets, wholesalers, and meal services), for a total of $11 billion
SNAP beneficiaries spend more dollars on food in local stores than eligible non-participants
An increase in SNAP participation by 5% would result in 2.1 million low-income Americans receiving $973 million in SNAP benefits, generating $1.8 billion in new economic activity

http://www.google.com/url...
HelpMe Gov

Somerset, KY

#2 Sep 14, 2012
"Real benefits of snap (food stamps)"

They buy votes.

"When the citizens learn they can vote themselves money, signals the end of the Republic." Ben Franklin
HelpMe Gov

Somerset, KY

#3 Sep 14, 2012
Modern day slavery? Unlike seen in the US since 1840, except when the government controls your very health.
HelpMe Gov

Somerset, KY

#4 Sep 14, 2012
obammytaxcare according to the SCOTUS is a tax and legal. Who do you fear more than FBI, CIA, NIS or Alphabet Soup.

The IRS?

Even the most diligent and honest of us fear a mistake or omission. Now those kind gentle folks are in charge of your health.

HelpMe Gov

Somerset, KY

#5 Sep 14, 2012
Maybe someone here knows of "instant audit" done from computer consumer information.

Everytime you have a claim your entire finances are "instant audited." Forgot to claim a check for 68.00 from the tobacco buy out? You get audited. You may or may not be allowed to receive benefits with a red flag on your audit. I just hope the bleeding is minor and you can last through the GOVERNMENT PROCESS which we have all learned to be efficient and thorough.
is it true

Virgie, KY

#6 Sep 16, 2012
Did Someone that works at the food stamp office in Jackson Co steal 10,000 of food stamps? heard they opened a po box up here in London to get them. Wonder why this wasn't on the news.
Yankee Doodle

Sheridan, AR

#7 Sep 16, 2012
HelpMe Gov wrote:
"Real benefits of snap (food stamps)"
They buy votes.
"When the citizens learn they can vote themselves money, signals the end of the Republic." Ben Franklin
You are so very,very wrong.I know about 20 families on them,not a one votes.Faint if you like,but get this;they hate both sides,blame both for the shape they are in.My husband and i always vote.we never have got one.Real poor people just don't care about politics.I wish they did.
Ye Peasant

Madisonville, KY

#8 Sep 16, 2012
Its also a security measure. Think about it if you get humans who are starving and destitute with absolutely nothing to lose....well guess who they are gonna come after????????

YOU and YOUR food/stuff.

You get down and out humans who have nothing and they see their children dying of starvation and exposure to the elements, well lets just say someone is getting hurt in some way. And it will be you and yours.

The very poor will behave with crumbs, but you take the crumbs and well your stuff aint safe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr HistoricallySpeaking 133,373
Looking To Find a New apartment (May '10) 3 hr Amber 14
Looking for place to rent 8 hr owner 2
who do girl like more country boys or city boys? (Oct '08) 10 hr bigobass 996
Data Entry pay at SoureCorp/Novitex? 11 hr Hope this helps 6
Is it legal to have a video camera pointed at y... (Aug '12) 23 hr Soccer Mom 120
question about a lawyer Thu Soccer Mom 5
London Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:54 am PST

NBC Sports 8:54AM
Andy Dalton replaces Aaron Rodgers on Pro Bowl roster