Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Jan 5, 2011 Full story: The Cincinnati Enquirer 81,681

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Full Story
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94890 Dec 16, 2013
Anne wrote:
@Misty. Okay then, I'm not alone on that disappearing post thing. Since Helter Pete isn't around to protest, I'll throw my two cents in on that. Heeheehee. Maybe he joined that secret identy program and doesn't want us to know he's impostor. Shhhh. Lol
I forgot to check out the cinnamon capsules while I was in the store earlier. I had planned to.... Miss E & Mississippi Man has me thinking about trying that
AW hasn't checked in so I'm wondering if he has company or if he joined Pete..
No, I did not join Pete. I don't travel much beyond going to the store and then I went twice yesterday to our church to begin the celebration of what Christmas is really about. I learned that hard lesson 10 years ago when the late wife had a stroke while opening her presents, then spent 2 years in a nursing facility before passing on to her rewards.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#94894 Dec 16, 2013
So many forget to thank the Great Spirit who sent us and Mother Earth who gives her bounty. I have not attended church services in years. As was revealed to me at 13 : There is more to life than the congregation and false prophets.It is more of a choice to hear or see others' deeds while praising and be steadfast to the One from whom we came. It is like love; something that never needs seeking; nevertheless, belief is always in existence. I am so Blessed and Thankful for my Family and glad that our country is not a communist one. We can worship or assemble freely.
A wonderful day to All!
Anne

United States

#94895 Dec 16, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>I learned that hard lesson 10 years ago when the late wife had a stroke while opening her presents, then spent 2 years in a nursing facility before passing on to her rewards.
I know you pretty much stay close to home but hopefully one of these days you'll get the urge to do a little sightseeing. Buckhorn Lake is fairly close to you and is a beautiful spot to visit. Probably a good spot to fish if you're so inclined. Lol
Christmas time has been a time of funerals in our family also. Makes it rough and I usually find Christmas music sad. I've never lost a spouse but I know that's got to be the worst.
I'm glad you are working on the church Christmas. The little country church that's close by has a life size nativity barn set up so I guess they are set up for a live nativity scene . I'd like to go see it but haven't heard of the times they are set up. My parents were married there and lived within a half mile of the church for all their married life (43 years--mom was 63 when she died,oh my, today is the day she's been gone 20 years) Dad remarried in the same church and a lot of the same people attended this wedding also. A year after the marriage his little wife began treatment for lung cancer. He was a good caregiver to her. Dad would have remarried ( to his high school sweetheart) but she ended up being the one to place flowers on his grave. The weekend before he past, he and a couple lifelong buddies rode a mule down into the Grand Canyon. We sold the little house in AZ he had bought to live close by his sister. Guess I got the traveling gene also... Lol
<3 R.I.P. MOM <3
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94896 Dec 16, 2013
@Misty.. I lost the wife 8 years ago this past Saturday and just a few minutes after my birthday was over. I rolled over to a new decade this past Friday 13th (not superstitous), so I don't do birthdays or Christmas except to cherish fond memories and pass around lots of Love. My opinion is that Christmas gifts are for children and for them to build a lifetime of nostalic memories. My children and grandchildren are all grown, but there are a few little girls and boys at the church that like to sit with the old man and dig into his coat pocket for candies. That is one reason why I go. I remember the old lady that I used to sit next to.

As for lakes and State Parks, I have already been (with my boys) to most every one in Kentucky and about every state in the Southeast and north to the Canadian border and west to the Dakotas. I guess I have been there and done that already. LOL Have a good day. I have chores to do.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#94897 Dec 16, 2013
@ AW, the birds are sounding like a happy choir this morning. Oh, those little children. I can hear their chatter and invision them eagerly getting after that candy. Lol. What simple joys they love the most! My daughter loves hard peppermints;) My darling Aunt- gone two years now- and mother- in- law to possibly be give her candies all the time. Wonderful day to you!
@ Anne, as my Dad gets older I notice to that he has been one of the few in his family remaining. He just caught up to 62. His birthday has become a depressing time for him that I notice. It seems with retirement that he has more time on his hands to do his housework and think. The past two summers have kept him busy outdoors- carpentry work,cutting logs, lawn work and beekeeping." Precious Memories" that is what we have. Family and friends,life filled with joy and sorrow. Have a nice day & stay warm:)
Anne

United States

#94898 Dec 16, 2013
Ancient Wolf wrote:
. I rolled over to a new decade this past Friday 13th (not superstitous),
My opinion is that Christmas gifts are for children and for them to build a lifetime of nostalic memories.
I have chores to do.
Aha! A birthday!! We've determined before that you're a little older than me and since I turned the Mighty Sixty last year, you must have turned the Super Seventy!!!
Happy Birthday, Ancient Wolf!
Yup! I agree, commercial Christmas is mostly a memory maker for kids. And I enjoy ensuring those memories. It helps that my grandkids live here. lol I topped MY Christmas list with...toilet paper!! That stuff comes in right handy around here and it creates a few laughs Christmas morning. I prefer the 16 roll package--any brand will do.
I have a doctors appointment later today and, like you, chickens to attend to now.(No eggs at all. Too cold I guess)
confused

United States

#94899 Dec 16, 2013
I don't get it
Anne

United States

#94901 Dec 16, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
@ Anne, as my Dad gets older I notice to that he has been one of the few in his family remaining. He just caught up to 62. His birthday has become a depressing time for him that I notice. It seems with retirement that he has more time on his hands to do his housework and think. The past two summers have kept him busy outdoors- carpentry work,cutting logs, lawn work and beekeeping." Precious Memories" that is what we have. Family and friends,life filled with joy and sorrow. Have a nice day & stay warm:)
I turned sixty one this past summer. I was depressed going into my 60th year but about 2 weeks before my birthday I woke up with "I'm going to be the mighty 60" and you know what? My 60th year was one of my best years!! When my better half quits work next summer maybe I'll buy him a new axe so he can chop wood and stay in shape like AW. Lol
qwerty

Butler, KY

#94902 Dec 16, 2013
confused wrote:
I don't get it
You throw the ball to first base.
Then who gets it?
Naturally.
Naturally.
Now you've got it.
I throw the ball to Naturally.
You don't! You throw it to Who!
Naturally.
Well, that's it—say it that way.
That's what I said.
You did not.
I said I throw the ball to Naturally.
Costello: Naturally.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94903 Dec 16, 2013
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>You throw the ball to first base.
Then who gets it?
Naturally.
Naturally.
Now you've got it.
I throw the ball to Naturally.
Naturally.
Well, that's it—say it that way.
That's what I said.
You did not.
I said I throw the ball to Naturally.
Costello: Naturally.
That bit never gets old! Classic
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

#94904 Dec 16, 2013
Lol.
wes

Irvine, KY

#94905 Dec 16, 2013
this stuff creeps me out

“Nothing is as it appears to be”

Since: Dec 13

My Happy Place

#94908 Dec 16, 2013
This is one of the few threads that seems to survive and weather the troll storms. After nearly 80,000 posts,(with some deletions) the thread itself still remains strong. Truly amazing!

And I must say, reading the posts here is like a sheltered place in a storm. Due in large to AW, no doubt, who remains the constant in the equation. Thank you, Ancient Wolf.

I meet some nice people on other threads and the first thing you know some of the posts are deleted or the entire thread disappears! It makes it nearly impossible to maintain any sort of sensible communication.
It is nice to see one which appears to be impervious to the onslaught.
Anne

Henderson, TN

#94910 Dec 16, 2013
Dual Reality wrote:
This is one of the few threads that seems to survive and weather the troll storms. After nearly 80,000 posts,(with some deletions) the thread itself still remains strong. Truly amazing!

And I must say, reading the posts here is like a sheltered place in a storm. Due in large to AW, no doubt, who remains the constant in the equation. Thank you, Ancient Wolf.

I meet some nice people on other threads and the first thing you know some of the posts are deleted or the entire thread disappears! It makes it nearly impossible to maintain any sort of sensible communication.
It is nice to see one which appears to be impervious to the onslaught.
I ventured onto this post a few months ago and have really enjoyed visiting with everyone. We're all very different and are from many walks of life. You are certainly right in that Ancient Wolf keeps us anchored and is always a great example in how to handle trolls. Right now there seems to be a troll posting under my topix name so if anything offensive is said , please don't think it's me. I may tease someone a little but I don't ever intend to offend . There is no way I could ever read all 80,000 posts, Wow!, so I have no idea as to how many posters have come and gone over the years.
Feel free to stop by and join in! Have a wonderful evening!!

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#94911 Dec 16, 2013
I agree! AW has always been the cornerstone. I miss my UNA; however, AW has always been there keeping a watchful eye out for us.
Anne

New Salisbury, IN

#94913 Dec 16, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
I agree! AW has always been the cornerstone. I miss my UNA; however, AW has always been there keeping a watchful eye out for us.
UNA was before my time but I did read some of this thread back when he was posting. I've also seen where posters on other threads mention missing him also.:-(
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#94915 Dec 17, 2013
Who was UNA,.......or....should I ask? But what happened ..........

@ Miss E......please don't forget to post every last little detail having to do with Mother - Vinegar and Cinnaman capsules. This is my second day on them and hoping for the best!

@ Wolf.........I absolutely admire your "schedule of life" as you posted a while back. If I was completely alone, that's pretty well how I'd do it, too,...not very far away from it now. Stir.....for tree practice, add another log on the fire, warm up the beans and ham, sit back down in front of the fire, then..........just .....whatever..........
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94916 Dec 17, 2013
I started out thinking Una was just another smart-alec troll only to learn that we shared more in common than we disagreed over. He certainly knew his Bible and was not a bit shy about sharing his thoughts. LOL He was one of those people that you have to take with a grain of salt, and pretty soon you come to enjoy the taste.. He challenged people to dig a little deeper and think. He certainly was not superficial.

@Anne.. about 1/2 of my hens are still laying eggs in spite of the cold and I dropped off several dozen this past Sunday to people that could use what I did not need. My light only kept about 1/2 of their water from freezing also, but it was the 1/2 furthest away from where they stood to drink so it was not totally frozen. I did fluff up the straw in their nests and got few eggs that day until they put their nests back like they were before old AW messed with it. I believe it was Voltaire that said "Let sleeping dogs lie" or as AW says but does not always follow his own advice "If it aint broken, don't fix it" LOL .
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94917 Dec 17, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
Who was UNA,.......or....should I ask? But what happened ..........
UNA's claim to fame was his ability to pass gas and his lack of shyness quite often antagonized people. He was the sort of fellow that could get on a crowded elevator and tell you to pull his finger. He had no use for religous "cults" or fakery and never missed an opportunity to speak out about it in a funny manner such as his "Save the Ho Foundation" LOL As best we can determine but are not completely positive, he had heart issues and most likely passed away some months ago while sitting at his computer. I may be wrong, but I have come to believe that he knew he was about to die and just did not care if he ruffled a few feathers, if it made folks re-evaluate their own situtations.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#94918 Dec 17, 2013
I suppose Topix will delete one of the double posts. Sorry!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mitch McConnell is after your social security 11 min WTF 23
Attorney for child custody and contempt of court (Sep '12) 22 min hoopy 11
Drug dealing Old hare rd. on Kelly Lane 56 min Albino in the corner 1
Child Support Office 1 hr Frogman 5
Boyhood memories source of solace 1 hr Frogman 2
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Mike Duquette 131,394
part time ups 3 hr xyz 2
London Dating
Find my Match

London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

London News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in London

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]