Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81699 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#95088 Dec 28, 2013
Jingles wrote:
So....anyone with a Kentucky Wildcat update? Who won? And SHAME on Miss E for even saying such a thing against the Cats. May you have a hard night of rest. Scrooge-thinks-you-know-it-all -yet,you -know-NOTHING.
I'm sorry. I really am a UK fan but a realistic bet
I truly hope I'm proven wrong! I'll go put on my lucky panties and cheer
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95089 Dec 28, 2013
Oh memories !!. I had to laugh when you posted about that grandma sitting on the porch spitting snuff out between her teeth. That was what my maternal grandma did. The paternal grandma just sat on the porch smoking a corncob pipe. She might have even had some of that wacky backy in the pipe. It grows wild around here even still. My grandpa raised the stuff legally along the river bottom land prior to WW2 and sold it to the Government to be used for ropes for ships.- AW
I agree, both of my grannies chewed tobacco: One Cane Bee, the other Levi Garret or something another as well as Mail Pouch, I do believe. Great grandmother had a wooden pipe and cane that resembled each other. She had a special place for it beside the Bible:) Great women! So many stories and questions that could have been asked about them and their lives. Now, the time has gone except for those treasured, cherished memories.

Location hidden

#95090 Dec 28, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
Oh memories !!. I had to laugh when you posted about that grandma sitting on the porch spitting snuff out between her teeth. That was what my maternal grandma did. The paternal grandma just sat on the porch smoking a corncob pipe. She might have even had some of that wacky backy in the pipe. It grows wild around here even still. My grandpa raised the stuff legally along the river bottom land prior to WW2 and sold it to the Government to be used for ropes for ships.- AW
I agree, both of my grannies chewed tobacco: One Cane Bee, the other Levi Garret or something another as well as Mail Pouch, I do believe. Great grandmother had a wooden pipe and cane that resembled each other. She had a special place for it beside the Bible:) Great women! So many stories and questions that could have been asked about them and their lives. Now, the time has gone except for those treasured, cherished memories.
I was recently touring an old antique/ junk store with a friend, when we came across some old portraits of some homely women. I commented on their pictures, to which my friend replied "In a storm, any port will do"
Must have been a Cat. 5 hurricane.
Misty eyed

Louisa, KY

#95091 Dec 28, 2013
Yes, I agree. My maternal, great grandmother resembles Shirley Corriher though the hair was different. Her hair was waist length and blood red. I have always believed that an infectious smile can make any face beautiful. Though to me beauty is vain and skin deep, while ugliness cuts to the bone;)

Location hidden

#95092 Dec 28, 2013
Misty eyed wrote:
Yes, I agree. My maternal, great grandmother resembles Shirley Corriher though the hair was different. Her hair was waist length and blood red. I have always believed that an infectious smile can make any face beautiful. Though to me beauty is vain and skin deep, while ugliness cuts to the bone;)
Agreed! My favorite book is a photo book from the Appalachian region. The faces are hard, wrinkled and wonderfully aged. They are full of a life lived. My biggest complaint about Hollywood is that they are scared to age. I love looking at face that tells a story of a life lived.
Texture and depth
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95093 Dec 28, 2013
Anne wrote:
We are sitting in a small town cafe a couple hours from Chicago and on the wall is an advertising paper bag from the diamond roller mills for All Jewels fancy patent flour ground in Mill Springs KY. Small world. Lol
from:Hidden History of the Kentucky in the Civil War by Berry Craig.... A sapling grows from the remains of an old oak tree close to where Rebel General Felix K. Zollicoffer died in the Civil War Battle of Mill Springs on January 19, 1862. In 1902, Dorotha Burton, a ten-year-old girl who lived on the old battle field placed flowers on the Rebel Graves and wove blooms into an evergreen wreath and entwined in around the "Zollie" tree.(the story was longer, I just posted the highlights).

Location hidden

#95094 Dec 28, 2013
Jingles wrote:
So....anyone with a Kentucky Wildcat update? Who won? And SHAME on Miss E for even saying such a thing against the Cats. May you have a hard night of rest. Scrooge-thinks-you-know-it-all -yet,you -know-NOTHING.
I'm eating crow! UK up by 10
Anne

United States

#95095 Dec 28, 2013
Better half bleeds blue! And is a happy camper now!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95097 Dec 28, 2013
Miss E Font wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a UK fan, but it's going to be a hard win
I predict U of L by 6
"SPORTS....???..!" ....I'm outa here!
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95098 Dec 28, 2013
Kentucky,.....Ky,....seems like several years ago I happened across a bit of news, I think, having to do with the town or county Harlan. It was about an event called Poke Sallet Festival. I have no idea if any of you live near there but I'll be willing to bet that that is really one shin-dig!

Kentucky,.....Ky,......as we now know, pronounce and spell Kentucky, that is not how the original word was pronounced by the Indians. Each and all the tribes would NOT lay claim to the entire area. Any idea why?.........and how did they say the word?(I know Wolf is gonna put me down.)

Kentucky,......Ky,.....since I recently had to give about 30% of my home-made library away because of space (or lack of it), I've reread Alex Stewart, the four Foxfire Books, Mandingo and am now back into a book about Simon Kenton. He was certainly an early day hero of your state and did rival Daniel Boone and Crockett. He saved Boone's life one time while in amongst an Indian fight. That was when men were men for sure!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95099 Dec 28, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, It is not my cup of tea either. I never could understand how some folks could get so excited over college sports when they have never even spent a single hour in a classroom and some never even made it through High School. I am probably the only person in Kentucky that could not care any less how some rival game between UK and UL has turned out. LOL
Mississippi Man

Olive Branch, MS

#95100 Dec 28, 2013
@ Miss E & Misty.....this is related to ya all's post about pix of early, hard work'n woman and about our recent talks on ancestors. After our Father's passing all eight of us sat around the old kitchen table (I don't like this) and we mixed boxes and boxes of old pictures until we came up evenly at random with eight, then drew numbers that matched the box. I'm, of course, glad to have mine but I have no idea who 95% of them are. But your descriptions so reminded me of these pictures, the weathered facial expressions, tightly pulled back hair and,.....oh, those styles of clothes on the women and men! Maybe they'll come back.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95101 Dec 28, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
Kentucky,.....Ky,....seems like several years ago I happened across a bit of news, I think, having to do with the town or county Harlan. It was about an event called Poke Sallet Festival. I have no idea if any of you live near there but I'll be willing to bet that that is really one shin-dig!
Kentucky,.....Ky,......as we now know, pronounce and spell Kentucky, that is not how the original word was pronounced by the Indians. Each and all the tribes would NOT lay claim to the entire area. Any idea why?.........and how did they say the word?(I know Wolf is gonna put me down.)
Kentucky,......Ky,.....since I recently had to give about 30% of my home-made library away because of space (or lack of it), I've reread Alex Stewart, the four Foxfire Books, Mandingo and am now back into a book about Simon Kenton. He was certainly an early day hero of your state and did rival Daniel Boone and Crockett. He saved Boone's life one time while in amongst an Indian fight. That was when men were men for sure!
Poke Sallet or poke salat festivals... there are numerous Youtube videos of that shindig in Harlan County. My mom was born in the town of Lynch, a town totally owned by a subsidiary of U.S. Steel that acquired all the coal from that region.

Kentucky.. the origin on the name is not really known and it is not a combination of cane and turkey. It is said that the Cherokee "Dragging Canoe" told the whites that they would be getting a "dark and bloody ground" and it is assumed that the name derives from that, but it does not.
smile

Murray, KY

#95102 Dec 29, 2013
Yes
Anne

Paris, TN

#95104 Dec 29, 2013
Whew. A chance to sit and relax...!
Hello to everyone of you good people! AW, that story about the "zolli" tree was interesting. Wonder why the little girl felt led to put a wreath around the zolli tree?
Back in our Kentucky days my better half would never miss watching a UK game but since leaving the Ohio River Valley (between KY and IN) we have discovered that other areas hardly even notice if ANY basketball game is being played. Go figure. Lol
I think there are two hens popping out those eggs now!! I think the heat lamp is not only keeping the water from freezing but encouraging the ladies to lay those eggs!!
Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon!
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#95105 Dec 29, 2013
Anne wrote:
Whew. A chance to sit and relax...!
Hello to everyone of you good people! AW, that story about the "zolli" tree was interesting. Wonder why the little girl felt led to put a wreath around the zolli tree?
Back in our Kentucky days my better half would never miss watching a UK game but since leaving the Ohio River Valley (between KY and IN) we have discovered that other areas hardly even notice if ANY basketball game is being played. Go figure. Lol
I think there are two hens popping out those eggs now!! I think the heat lamp is not only keeping the water from freezing but encouraging the ladies to lay those eggs!!
Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon!
My guess is that the little girl knew that the Confederate graves and the oak tree (where General Zollicoffer had fallen), had gone unmarked and unhonored for 40 years and just took it upon herself to do so.

I am happy that your heat lamp over the chicken water is working for you. Yes, your hens will start laying better when the light is on. Even when warmer weather returns, I will keep a light on but just with lower watts and not necessarily over the water.

Have a good Sunday. I will be off soon to attend a Gospel singing of worship and praise. Any month that has 5 Sundays, the 5th Sunday night contains no preaching, but different individuals sing special selections. Some singers are quite good, while others make for a good time to go to the restroom. LOL But I have to give them an "A" for effort.
Anne

Versailles, IN

#95106 Dec 29, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
@ Miss E & Misty.....this is related to ya all's post about pix of early, hard work'n woman and about our recent talks on ancestors. After our Father's passing all eight of us sat around the old kitchen table (I don't like this) and we mixed boxes and boxes of old pictures until we came up evenly at random with eight, then drew numbers that matched the box. I'm, of course, glad to have mine but I have no idea who 95% of them are. But your descriptions so reminded me of these pictures, the weathered facial expressions, tightly pulled back hair and,.....oh, those styles of clothes on the women and men! Maybe they'll come back.
Several years after my mother in law has passed, the family pics had still not been sorted out. One year around thanksgiving I went out to my sister in laws and we sat on the floor and sorted. First, pics where a particular kid was prominent, then family group pics were put in a pile, turned over and dealt out like cards. The last group were cousins, aunts etc. If one of the siblings had been particularly close to an aunt or cousin then we put that pic in his/her pile. The rest? Stacked, turned backside up and,again, dealt out like cards. Each siblings stack was boxed, gift wrapped and presented at the family Christmas dinner. Swapping was permitted and anyone could make copies of any pic they wanted. The afternoon was spent talking of old times and people from their past. A dreaded chore was turned into a wonderful time!
qwerty

Luck, WI

#95107 Dec 29, 2013
Mississippi Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here. How anyone can spend the weekend watching e v e r y ball game on TV is beyond me.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#95108 Dec 29, 2013
qwerty wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here. How anyone can spend the weekend watching e v e r y ball game on TV is beyond me.
To me, Sports is like women.... if you can't participate, why watch? LOL

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#95109 Dec 29, 2013
scary wrote:
New Madrid earthquake getting ready to happen. Look it up.
yessirreebob

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
add a word--drop a word (Apr '10) 4 min Princess Hey 1,512
One Word Thread (Jul '10) 23 min Humm Dinger 2,467
25 years and fired 30 min Not Right 5
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Blacklagoon 163,750
King James 1 hr Moe Ham Ed 2
Top Conservative News 1 hr Brietbart fan 1
I Guess It Is Time To Impeach 2 hr Dawg 29

London Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

London Mortgages