Martial Arts in London

Posted in the London Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Kung fu Bob

Mayfield, KY

#1 Dec 26, 2010
Hey, I was wondering if there are any good instructors in london who teach traditional martial arts? The only dojo's I know of are United Martial Arts, and Elite Martial arts, both of which teach a hybrid styles put together.

Is there anywhere else to go?
Any hapkido, karate, kenpo, or aikido instructors around here?
separated

Manchester, KY

#2 Dec 26, 2010
classes at UMA are separated so you dont have to do mixed martial arts if you don't want to
Kung fu Bob wrote:
Hey, I was wondering if there are any good instructors in london who teach traditional martial arts? The only dojo's I know of are United Martial Arts, and Elite Martial arts, both of which teach a hybrid styles put together.
Is there anywhere else to go?
Any hapkido, karate, kenpo, or aikido instructors around here?
Mom of 2

Ashland, KY

#3 Dec 27, 2010
Hello,
I have tried both of them. My son did go to UMA and I did not like the instructor at all. I have switch him to London Karate Acadamy " Elite Martial Arts" and love it there. You can take what ever you want over there. They offer seperate classes. Stop by and talk to them.
concerned

New London, CT

#4 Dec 27, 2010
I heard that the London Karate Academy has a very nice and capable lady insturtor. Children seems to identify more with a young lady.
I donot know much about UMA except that they have had their front window broken out on several occasions. Leading the Owner of the property to put up a chain Link fence around their building.
well

New London, CT

#5 Dec 27, 2010
Their is the Baptist Fitness Center in Corbin Eric Burke teaches a Traditional Karate Class there.
vandals

Manchester, KY

#6 Dec 27, 2010
The first time the UMA window was broken the vandals also broke windows at a school in Corbin and made an attempt at the school on 192, on the same night. You must not have been around.
concerned wrote:
I heard that the London Karate Academy has a very nice and capable lady insturtor. Children seems to identify more with a young lady.
I donot know much about UMA except that they have had their front window broken out on several occasions. Leading the Owner of the property to put up a chain Link fence around their building.
toddt

Manchester, KY

#7 Dec 27, 2010
my child works better with men, in school and karate
concerned wrote:
I heard that the London Karate Academy has a very nice and capable lady insturtor. Children seems to identify more with a young lady.
I donot know much about UMA except that they have had their front window broken out on several occasions. Leading the Owner of the property to put up a chain Link fence around their building.
New London School

Richmond, KY

#8 Dec 27, 2010
There is a Traditional Shaolin Do School opening in London in January that holds classes for both children and adults. The school is owned by a 6th degree master and has another 6th degree master and several high ranking black belts as instructors.
whats the cost

Sheridan, AR

#9 Dec 27, 2010
what would it cost to start at the bottom, i know, nothing about this and work my way up? i am looking for some good way of getting back in to shape and losing some weigh, i am 53 male so is this for me or am i to old to start? and wouldn't mind knowing a little bit more of self defense to kick butt if had to.
Martial Artist

Somerset, KY

#10 Dec 27, 2010
This area is lacking in serious martial arts. Most places are nothing more than a day care.

UMA is alright. I've been there a couple times. Pricing is good. Around 40.00/ month when I tried them out. www.kentuckymartialarts.com/

Elite MA is a day care. www.elitema.info/

Those are really the only places in london.

There are a couple places in corbin, not that much of a drive.

Kanbukan teaches Hapkido. They're mostly a day care. Could get something out of it.

Someone mentioned Eric Burke. He did Shaolin-Do which is grabage.

There's an MMA place on main street in corbin. I think that's Bob Stine's place. Haven't been there so can't comment.

If you're willing to drive there are other places in barbourville, manchester, hazard, middelsboro, pineville.

Barbourville has the Konooburu Dojo. They do traditional martial arts and are pretty good. Don't know if they're still doing classes or not. Around 40.00/ month www.konooburudojo.com

Manchester has silver dragon. They do Shaolin-Do or did formerly. Not sure what they do now. www.silverdragonma.com/drupal/

Middelsboro and pineville has Yin Yang Kung Fu. The instructor has an ego. www.myspace.com/yin_yang_kung_fu

Hazard has Hazard martial arts. They teach Judo, Hapkido, MMA. The Hapkido guy Charles Sullivan is cool. Around 40.00/ month. http://www.myspace.com/yourbigdaddyd25

Just found out Richmond has Capoeria. I'm going to have to try this. http://gbantu.com/

Richmond has Analytical Fighting Systems. www.afsacademy.com/home.htm
Martial Artist

Somerset, KY

#11 Dec 27, 2010
whats the cost wrote:
what would it cost to start at the bottom, i know, nothing about this and work my way up? i am looking for some good way of getting back in to shape and losing some weigh, i am 53 male so is this for me or am i to old to start? and wouldn't mind knowing a little bit more of self defense to kick butt if had to.
If you want to lose weight and get in shape, you should try P90X. It's a fitness video.

Or get a total gym.

Much more cost effective over time if you're not serious about MA training.
separated

Manchester, KY

#12 Dec 27, 2010
We'd love to have you at UMA. We have several older gentlemen who train with us. We're beginner friendly. kymartialarts.com
whats the cost wrote:
what would it cost to start at the bottom, i know, nothing about this and work my way up? i am looking for some good way of getting back in to shape and losing some weigh, i am 53 male so is this for me or am i to old to start? and wouldn't mind knowing a little bit more of self defense to kick butt if had to.
well

United States

#13 Dec 27, 2010
vandals wrote:
The first time the UMA window was broken the vandals also broke windows at a school in Corbin and made an attempt at the school on 192, on the same night. You must not have been around.
<quoted text>
Just remember reading something about it in the paper sometime back.
I know

United States

#14 Dec 27, 2010
I know Eric Burke, he is a fine person and a fine martial artist. Shaolin do is a good art it is a traditional art far from being garbage. At least with Baptist Fitness Center in Corbin you get way from the insturctors in London who are Legends in their own mind.
Bobby Stines place on main street in corbin has been closed for years.
Martial Artist wrote:
This area is lacking in serious martial arts. Most places are nothing more than a day care.
UMA is alright. I've been there a couple times. Pricing is good. Around 40.00/ month when I tried them out. www.kentuckymartialarts.com/
Elite MA is a day care. www.elitema.info/
Those are really the only places in london.
There are a couple places in corbin, not that much of a drive.
Kanbukan teaches Hapkido. They're mostly a day care. Could get something out of it.
Someone mentioned Eric Burke. He did Shaolin-Do which is grabage.
There's an MMA place on main street in corbin. I think that's Bob Stine's place. Haven't been there so can't comment.
If you're willing to drive there are other places in barbourville, manchester, hazard, middelsboro, pineville.
Barbourville has the Konooburu Dojo. They do traditional martial arts and are pretty good. Don't know if they're still doing classes or not. Around 40.00/ month www.konooburudojo.com
Manchester has silver dragon. They do Shaolin-Do or did formerly. Not sure what they do now. www.silverdragonma.com/drupal/
Middelsboro and pineville has Yin Yang Kung Fu. The instructor has an ego. www.myspace.com/yin_yang_kung_fu
Hazard has Hazard martial arts. They teach Judo, Hapkido, MMA. The Hapkido guy Charles Sullivan is cool. Around 40.00/ month. http://www.myspace.com/yourbigdaddyd25
Just found out Richmond has Capoeria. I'm going to have to try this. http://gbantu.com/
Richmond has Analytical Fighting Systems. www.afsacademy.com/home.htm
Martial Artist

Somerset, KY

#15 Dec 27, 2010
I know wrote:
I know Eric Burke, he is a fine person and a fine martial artist. Shaolin do is a good art it is a traditional art far from being garbage. At least with Baptist Fitness Center in Corbin you get way from the insturctors in London who are Legends in their own mind.
Bobby Stines place on main street in corbin has been closed for years.
<quoted text>
Burke may be a fine person, never met him. Shaolin Do is still not a good martial art. Better than nothing, but not by much.

Sin The making everything up is far from being traditional. HAHA! Read this for soem crazy Shaolin-do stories. Baby melting, climbing poles with man boobs, blocking the kick of a horse, and so on.

www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php...

There might be some good stuff in there but its mostly a money making venture. SDA regularly produces black belts in about 2 years time with compounding prices for belt tests. I've trained and seen a lot of the material. It's worse than Tae Kwon Do.
New London School

Richmond, KY

#16 Dec 27, 2010
I know wrote:
I know Eric Burke, he is a fine person and a fine martial artist. Shaolin do is a good art it is a traditional art far from being garbage. At least with Baptist Fitness Center in Corbin you get way from the insturctors in London who are Legends in their own mind.
Bobby Stines place on main street in corbin has been closed for years.
<quoted text>
I've heard Eric Burke is a good instructor (even if traditional kungfu isn't your thing), I've also heard good things about Jeremy Patton but I don't know how good Will Schneider's school is now. Does anyone know who/what about the other London Shaolin Do mentioned above?
Kung fu Bob

Mayfield, KY

#17 Dec 27, 2010
separated wrote:
classes at UMA are separated so you dont have to do mixed martial arts if you don't want to
<quoted text>
Well, first of all, I want to say thank you to everybody who took the time to respond to my post. It is very cool of you all to take the time to fill me in on what london has got to offer.

I've been to UMA before, only observing though. I wouldn't mind checking them out if they still did traditional Tae Kwan Do. I found the instructor welcoming, and he didn't seem to have an' ego, which is a plus.

I have also spoken with the people at Elite Martial Arts, and they will only teach their 'blend' of martial art. The instructors there seem extremely friendly and welcoming. The only bad thing to point out having NOT seen what they teach is that they are very expensive.

Of all the martial arts listed by 'Martial Artist' I personally recommend the Konooburu Dojo which has classes in Manchester and Barbourville as well as Jun Tong Mu Sool Hapkido (Sullivan Hapkido) in Hazard.

Anyway, lets keep this post up guys, maybe some former instructor of traditional martial arts might come out of the woodwork and start up classes somewhere.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

- Kung fu Bob
Kung fu Bob

Mayfield, KY

#18 Dec 27, 2010
New London School wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard Eric Burke is a good instructor (even if traditional kungfu isn't your thing), I've also heard good things about Jeremy Patton but I don't know how good Will Schneider's school is now. Does anyone know who/what about the other London Shaolin Do mentioned above?
I may have to check out what Eric Burke teaches. I hope he teaches well thought out practical self-defense along with kata, weapons, and sparring.

Will Schneider's school is closed. He moved on to richmond or lexington trying to be the next Dana White (UFC Owner/President) with his MMA promotion. He taught Combat Hapkido and Kempo there for a little while, but then switched to the Premier System.

Several months ago, the school was taken over by a group from somerset and is called Elite Martial Arts.

I personally don't know much about Shaolin-Do. I will eventually.
Kung fu Bob

Mayfield, KY

#19 Dec 27, 2010
whats the cost wrote:
what would it cost to start at the bottom, i know, nothing about this and work my way up? i am looking for some good way of getting back in to shape and losing some weigh, i am 53 male so is this for me or am i to old to start? and wouldn't mind knowing a little bit more of self defense to kick butt if had to.
The cost really depends on the teacher. Usually anywhere from $30-$80 a month. And as far as getting back into shape, martial arts wouldn't be a bad way to go. The main thing is: you only get out of it what you put into it.

Also, your never too old to start. The great thing about martial arts is you never hit your 'prime' and then go downhill from there like other sports (football, basketball). Instead your skill (with practice/patience) will only get better with time. If you ever start training your not expected to be able to break bricks, do spin kicks, back flips....etc. That is stuff (depending on the art) you slowly learn in time.

The founders of many martial arts were sickly weak men who developed quick effective ways of kicking butt that anyone could do. They also developed exercises, kata, and stances to strengthen their bodies.

The great thing about martial arts is that it helps you build confidence in your self, work on your fears, and push yourself to get the most out of life. That, and defend yourself.
And most of the dojo's I've had to pleasure to train at, the people who train beside you become like family. It's hard to explain unless you've trained for a while.

I do want to throw a bit of caution your way. Not all schools have your best intentions in mind. Some are more concerned with money than helping you reach your goals. Also, not all martial arts are created equal in terms of self defense.

Heres a few things to look up on Youtube that might help you get an idea of what you might like to learn: Tai Chi, Krav Maga, Tae Kwan Do, Goju ryu karate, Hapkido, judo, kenpo....etc.

So yeah, give it a try, you'll be glad you did.

Since: Jan 09

____________

#20 Dec 27, 2010
Everyone should know how to protect themselves. I have my act down pat. When threatened I go into a karate stance, then to show him my moves I jump up and do a spinning kick, then go into aikido with a few judo moves. Then while he's laughing I pull out my gun and shoot him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

London Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
puked at flowers bakery (Jun '09) 1 hr amanda 57
grief councilors 6 hr lost 1
add a word--drop a word (Apr '10) 7 hr Princess Hey 915
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 hr Litti 135,071
liberal college dean says ISIS is welcome on hi... 9 hr Israel 9
Help Stop Persecution Of Christians WorldWide! 9 hr Israel 1
Looking for place to rent 9 hr goofball 8
London Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

London People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]