snow days!! will we have to make them up? I heard the state may step in.

Posted in the London Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of40
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
parent

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

I heard if laurel county schools missed one more day this year the state would step in and erase them.(state disaster policy or something)Has anyone heard is this true? I hope so they will be going all summer long.
Going Till June

Irvine, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

I've heard that they will now be going until June 15th. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen.
Till June

Irvine, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

I've heard that June 15th is the "newest" last day of school. Whether that's true remains to be seen.
i heard

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

I heard they were looking at all possibilities now, including taking spring break, extending the days to go about a half hour longer, and also possibly going on Saturdays.
U heard wrong

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

They will not take Spring Break you can count on that. They will tell you that too many people already have scheduled plans including baseball and softball teams and families who will go on their trips whether there is school or not because they have flights and down payments already made. Saturdays have not even been discussed. They will have to apply to the state to get some of the days taken away but the state doesn't just step in and take the days away. AND even if you apply doesn't mean the state will grant the excused days.
sib

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

Judged:

fluck spring break!
Timetopay

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

Mid June,and you can count on it. It's not like the state will erase every snow day.
no one

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

we are aloud to miss 5 days as of 2-18-10 we have missed 19 days we will only have to make up 14 days but they are considering doing the same thing as last year and considering us a hazerdous area and not have to make up the school days
wondering parent

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

how does clay and jackson miss as many if not more than our children and still get out before we do and start back just three days before we start our new year?
truth

Mckee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

1. state going to make decision on individual bases
2. Can go to July 1.
3. They will probably grant some calamity days
4. The counties mention usually start school earlier than Laurel.
The facts

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

First of all, as of tomorrow, we have missed 16 days. Secondly, we have 5 'banked' days built into the schedule, so we will have 11 days to make up as of this moment. That should put the last day somwhere around June 10th/11th. Also, they are not going to touch spring break, and it has been said that adding minutes to the school day wouldn't be enough to help. The State Commissioner of Education was on the news last night, and he wants all districts to make up all of their days. The decisions about the make-up days will be ultimately made by the State Legislature, so if you don't want to have to make them all up, it would be wise to start contacting your representatives and let them know about it.

Clay gets out around the same time we do each year, because they have been 'given' more calamity days than we have in the past. They also have taken their spring break and added time to the end of each school day to help start making the days up already.
wonderin

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

Judged:

so who do we contact about all the days the kids are missin? This is BS they are missin so many days! these roads are fine and people need to quit being lazy and let the kids back into school so they don't have to miss part of their summer!
craziness i tell ya!! just plain craziness!!
just me

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

wonderin wrote:
so who do we contact about all the days the kids are missin? This is BS they are missin so many days! these roads are fine and people need to quit being lazy and let the kids back into school so they don't have to miss part of their summer!
you wouldn't think it was crazy if the bus wreck and kill a kid not all roads or clear just the ones that have been plowed
Melanie

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

Judged:

Just because the main roads are clear doesn't mean the back roads that buses also have to go down are. Maybe people should be making a stink over the roads that haven't been touched instead of complaining about the buses.
The facts

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

The superintendents are the ones to call school off or on for each day. They have a team of people that drive around and check certain spots in the county that are known trouble spots, or so is my understanding. They make their decision based on what they see after checking the locations. I have seen some of the backroads out in the county, and it doesn't at all surprise me that school has been called off all the days that it has been. The temps haven't been high enough and a lot of those roads don't ever see the light of day enough to melt on their own. If your child were riding the buses in those areas, then I bet you'd have a different idea about school being cancelled.

Since: Oct 09

London

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

Judged:

wonderin wrote:
with the road my family lives on, if it snows bad enough to close the schools on a monday, we're lucky to see a salt truck or plow before friday

I'll drive the roads in my 4WD, but there is NO way I'd want my kids or anyone elses kids endangered on roads in that kind of condition
MyTake

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

You can forget the idea that the state assembly is going to come in and rescue Summer break. Although it's a different state, Indiana's state assembly is making it mandatory to make up missed days. Again, although it's not Kentucky, it does set a precedence. Even if they grant some sort of "emergency" it would not erase the deficit. I have heard rumors that Laurel county will not go past the first week of June...that's nonsense as it's out of the Board of Education's hands. And, since Laurel Co is unwilling to sacrifice Spring Break, I would plan on a very short Summer Break.
wonderin

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

dramatic, my road hasn't been plowed, salted and its shaded and its clear as can be.
its got a strip maybe a foot thats a little icy but nothing that would cause interference with driving.
i'm just sayin drive your kids to school if you don't want to "endanger" their lives on the buss but some of us want our kids to learn and not have to make up so many days in the summer.
its craziness!!
the first 2 days fine there was a reason to call off but come on, now its just pure laziness!!
MyTake

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

The facts wrote:
First of all, as of tomorrow, we have missed 16 days. Secondly, we have 5 'banked' days built into the schedule, so we will have 11 days to make up as of this moment. That should put the last day somwhere around June 10th/11th. Also, they are not going to touch spring break, and it has been said that adding minutes to the school day wouldn't be enough to help. The State Commissioner of Education was on the news last night, and he wants all districts to make up all of their days. The decisions about the make-up days will be ultimately made by the State Legislature, so if you don't want to have to make them all up, it would be wise to start contacting your representatives and let them know about it.
Clay gets out around the same time we do each year, because they have been 'given' more calamity days than we have in the past. They also have taken their spring break and added time to the end of each school day to help start making the days up already.
And, Clay County starts a week earlier I believe.
wonderin

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2010

twowolf wrote:
<quoted text>
with the road my family lives on, if it snows bad enough to close the schools on a monday, we're lucky to see a salt truck or plow before friday
I'll drive the roads in my 4WD, but there is NO way I'd want my kids or anyone elses kids endangered on roads in that kind of condition
so you have been home bound since Monday????
have you and your kids gone out, oh my goodness how could you endanger their lives by going to the walmart!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of40
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

128 Users are viewing the London Forum right now

Search the London Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min American Lady 146,103
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min curious 128,564
Laurel County Jail 15 min Workin Man 6
Stop Odumba WAR ON COAL 23 min Blue Jim 53
charles ray hubbard 50 min You are dumb 5
Illegal immagrants 1 hr Curmudgeon 190
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr but now 81,566
•••
•••
•••
•••

London Jobs

•••