Proposed Montebello Hills Development Part of PXP's Drive to Increase Its Profit

Jan 31, 2010 Full story: www.counterpunch.org 10

The current owner of the Montebello Hills Oilfield, PXP, has plans to develop much of its landholdings into tracts of housing which it would sell off at a total profit of about $800 million in California. To facilitate this business plan the oil company has entered into an agreement with its subsidiary, Cook Hill Properties, LLC, a real estate consulting firm that helps large corporate owners develop land.

From PXP's perspective, wouldn't it be fantastic if its housing developments were boosted in value because of their proximity to such large beautiful "ecological preserves" or state parks? In Montebello, an East LA neighborhood, PXP has pursued the same exact strategy with its 480 acre oil field, asking for political approval to build a suburban sprawl of condos and Mcmansions by promising to set aside part of the land as a park.

Full Story
Mtb Ecology Lover

United States

#1 Feb 1, 2010
Anyone who believes that a minuscule five acre park and a reservation for what wold be left on any natural habitat, animals or ambiance after the removal of hill-tops, filling in of 'canyons'(where the habitat first restored itself many years ago), and the construction of over a thousand 'residential dwelling units' in the middle of the hills would somehow result in something that is at all natural, has been bought out by the speculators, blinded by the glossy, very inaccurate sales information, or totally stupid and uncaring. No one connected with the oil company or it's real estate division or supportive of their goals should be allowed to be in any position of authority in the City of Montebello.
trash talk

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Feb 1, 2010
THE PXP Echological "restoration" defined:

"Greenwashing generally is when a corporation disingenuously portrays itself and its operations in environmentally friendly terms,
usually by emphasizing small contributions it makes to environmental causes,
or nominal changes in its business practices, while its main operations remain sources of ecological destruction."

Simply a buffer zone for the public to view while the interior is bulldozed and the hills removed.

"The end result is that the industrial polluter marches on under the cover of a "sustainable" image that is increasingly friendly to consumers, veiling the company's real impacts on community and ecology."
trash talk

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Feb 1, 2010
PXP and Cook -Hill revealed and defined:

"Greenwashing generally is when a corporation disingenuously portrays itself and its operations in environmentally friendly terms,
usually by emphasizing small contributions it makes to environmental causes,
or nominal changes in its business practices, while its main operations remain sources of ecological destruction.

The end result is that the industrial polluter marches on under the cover of a "sustainable" image that is increasingly friendly to consumers, veiling the company's real impacts on community and ecology."

In the Montebello hills we can see a "greenbelt" "Habitat Restoration" ring for the public to view while the destruction goes on out of sight.

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#4 Feb 2, 2010
You'll notice that this publication also characterized this proposed development as consisting of "condos and McMansions." That is probably because they also read the DEIR and the MHSP, which state that Cook-Hill expects that at least 2/3 of the "residential units" would be "attached homes," which are condos.
Trash talk

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Feb 2, 2010
If they do not sell the land with the detached home it's really sold "in condominium" also.
Sorta like a McMansionized trailer park
Mtb hiker

Pleasanton, CA

#6 Feb 16, 2010
How can we use the recall election to stop this project?
Lady D

Beverly Hills, CA

#7 Feb 16, 2010
I love the Beautiful Mountian
SMR

Lynwood, CA

#8 Feb 16, 2010
Mtb hiker wrote:
How can we use the recall election to stop this project?
I just read that perez and cortez are for some development on the hills according to their last mailer I received last week. I think they called it responsible development. Not sure exactly that means but I would assume it means development that they feel would benefit montebello. So, it looks like those hills are doomed either way.
Trash Talk

United States

#9 Feb 16, 2010
It looks like the current Montebello HIlls Specific Plan and Environmental Impact report is doomed any way.

Get the General Plan done
Get a new Hillsid Ordance
Get a Community Development Plan to administer/ controll/ co-ordinate oilfield operations

then have Cook hill come back with a specifi plan that meets the above

It is not fair to Cook hill to have to guess at what the City wants (will accept)

“Hilltop Park Above All”

Since: Sep 08

Montebello, CA

#10 Feb 18, 2010
SMR wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read that perez and cortez are for some development on the hills according to their last mailer I received last week. I think they called it responsible development. Not sure exactly that means but I would assume it means development that they feel would benefit montebello. So, it looks like those hills are doomed either way.
When Alberto speaks specifically about the Hills, he says he is against ANY residential development in them, unlike Christina, who doesn't seem to have any fully formed opinion about them. This effort to run Alberto (who is endorsed by the Save the Montebello Hills Task Force and the Sierra Club) and Christina (who is not so endorsed) as a slate may have the effect of weakening Alberto's candidacy, especially with the La Merced voters, who have a direct interest in maintaining their property values and health, both of which are threatened by Cook-Hill's proposed development plan. Their lack of clearly opposing development of the Hills in writing as Larry Salazar alone has done may cost one or both the election.

In an election with the possibility of a very low voter turnout, anything can happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lompoc Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Faulkner 10 hr razorback 2
Review: 805 Wine Tours & Transport (Mar '14) Oct 29 lordie 3
Thousands of kids enjoy the Minetti Mini Rodeo (Jun '11) Oct 15 LindsayLee 2
Rudy Hernandez of Santa Maria, 1948-2014 Sep '14 Susan Garcia 1
Judge OKs Court-Appointed Attorney For Lead Def... Sep '14 mom 3
Lompoc's New Police Chief Says He's 'Proud to J... Sep '14 Mel 3
Prosecutor Cites 'Plethora' of Evidence Against... Sep '14 Mel 1
Lompoc Dating
Find my Match

Lompoc People Search