Crash kills astronaut's mom

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Inside her Lombard home, Rose Tani kept a shrine to her astronaut son filled with newspaper clippings of his recent launch, photos of him holding his two children and a framed image of him in a navy blue NASA ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of103
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Pooch

Wanatah, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

A tragedy that should not have happened. My condolences to Tani family and friends. How totally isolated Daniel must feel.
mr conductor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

The media, especiallly electronic, ran with the angle of the nice, energetic old lady, mother of astronaut and his unique burden of mourning while in space etc. All well and good I suppose.

She also committed by all accounts a very reckless act, creating a situation where kids were witnesses to a horrific event and potentially putting their lives in danger. Let's hear more about that story.
Monica

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

My heart goes out to Daniel Tani and his family.
MinisterP

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Not news and certainly no more important than any other death. Hey she lived a full life and obviously shouldn't have been driving.

“Age&Treachery over Youth&Skill”

Since: Dec 07

Brighton Park 60632

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Another tragedy of an elderly person driving. Independence is tough especially telling your loved one you no longer can drive. But this needs to be done and it needs to start with the family themselves. But, in lieu of sensitive issues that many families want to ignore or not address, the state needs to mandate restrictions and annual testing paid for by the elderly themselves. If they are adamant about driving after the age of 75 then they should pay for yearly testing. Can you imagine the horror of what those kids saw and what further images we would have seen if the train would have derailed and smashed the school bus?
RACE

Hialeah, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Wow!
You people are harsh! People always bash floridians for being like you are. Before you bash us in the future, look in the mirror.
It was a horrific accident, I am sure she was not trying to kill herself, or trumatize any child, show a little compassion you emotional grinches.
PDQ

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

My thoughts and prayers are with the family at this time.
keith

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Thats too bad the woman got killed, but how come we never hear how the engineer has to cope after hitting one these IDIOTS that don't pay attention to the warning signals.
Julie

Fond Du Lac, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

I sat pondering this during the 10pm news last night.

The media is memorializing this woman when in the grand scheme of things, she broke the law.

Would the media be treating the story the same way if her son were only in Japan on business instead of on a space shuttle? I don't think so.

Great that she was in her 90's and hald all her facilities about her but she still did a stupid and reckless act.
betty boop

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

thank you race, amen.
Julie

Fond Du Lac, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

RACE wrote:
Wow!
You people are harsh! People always bash floridians for being like you are. Before you bash us in the future, look in the mirror.
It was a horrific accident, I am sure she was not trying to kill herself, or trumatize any child, show a little compassion you emotional grinches.
Race, please re-read the story you think you know so much about. She was BEHIND a school bus that was at a railroad crossing. There were 2 red flags right there that any driver should know to exercise caution. She didn't. She PURPOSELY drove around the school bus and PURPOSELY chose to cross the tracks even though the gates were lowered. How stupid does one need to be to see this whole story is being raise to pathetic heroic proportions?
steve meitzen

Valrico, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Our prayers are with the family during this time of loss.

and a big thank you to Dan for his brave work for our Country!

Best regards,
Steven
Charis

Addison, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

This seems all the more sad for the family BECAUSE it was so needless and because it's so PUBLIC. Think of how they must be grieving this loss that seems so unnecessary, and even embarrasing. Any death, especially one so sudden and violent, is a deep, deep loss. We are not always able to grieve with the family like this,because we are not always privy to the details. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
betty boop

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

julie, stop. we've all read the story. no one knows why she did what she did. she endangered a lot of lives, and in the end hers was taken. just please, if it's only during the holiday season of your life, show some compassion. i hope this never, ever happens to your family, your son, your dad, your mom, grandmother, neices, nephews or dear friends. put yourself in the family's shoes right now.
Suburban Mom

Maywood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Of course I feel bad for her children. In addition to the loss of their mother, they have to deal with the guilt of wondering if they should have taken her car away and forbidden her from driving.
My heart also goes out to the train engineers who had to watch helplessly while the car was dragged down the track. A terrible thing to witness, for them and for any other passersby.

“Kiss my American.......”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

MinisterP wrote:
Not news and certainly no more important than any other death. Hey she lived a full life and obviously shouldn't have been driving.
What kind of minister are you? If you are one for that matter. Whether this woman was a fault or not, show a little compassion here.

My heart goes out to her son, who can't even be with her right now. May GOD help him get through this difficult time.
TOM SLICK

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

When car meets train you die every time. Everyone feels sorry for the guy in space and the old lady. It's was her own fault for going under the gate. If you want to fell sorry for someone, feel sorry for the conductor who could not stop the train, who will relive this accident in his mind for the rest of his life, wondering if he could have done more.
MinisterP

Oak Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

She also doesn't deserve the front page, repeated retelling of the story on every channel.

What has happened to the news reporting industry? What has happened to us? I am a news junkie and have been for 35 years.

In order to get the "real" news or story I have to read and listen to 20 different sources.

This is not news, this is not an accident, this is not a tragedy, this is nothing more than entertainment passing as important news.
Darryl wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because she made that mistake she did'nt deserve to die.Don't you think that was a liitle harsh?
kali

Schaumburg, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

At her age and with her obviously bad judgment, she should not have been driving. Period. End of sentence. That is a fact, not "heartlessness." The facts have nothing to do with compassion, the milk of human kindness, the Christmas season, who her son is, or anything else. Luckily she took no one with her.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

a 90 year old lady or man for that matter should not be driving. i think the number of accidents prove this. the age group over 80 are as bad as teenagers, without the reflexes or reaction time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of103
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Lombard Discussions

Search the Lombard Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 59 min KiMare 47,180
noisy motor cycles and cars 6 hr naper-resident 1
When does McScambell go to jail? 8 hr Red Light Scam 3
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 9 hr Chicagobunny 3,789
1969s soul singer Deon Jackson, an Ann Arbor na... 12 hr Mike Wolstein 1
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 16 hr jimtownhounddogsniffing 6,543
Seven charged in fights in downtown Naperville 20 hr Car Man 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Lombard Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Lombard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••